Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 7,216)

Showing posts 144,301 - 144,320 of171,372
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
13. God gives life and God has a plan.. We are all going to die of disease, natural causes like old age, accident, or murdered by someone. God will judge each individual. It is good to know we can trust Him with what we have no control over, and that He will make all things right for every creature in the end!

God may have a plan, but we are not privy to it nor its timing.

Do you believe in the 'teleological suspension of the ethical'?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
14. I believe the Bible teaches that if we want to follow Satan and do evil, he does have a limited amount of permission from God to grant miracle working power to humans who choose evil over good, hate over love.

Yet it is the "Christians" who are the most unapologetic haters.
Believer wrote:
16. I believe there is more than one answer/ theory that would not dispute what the Bible tells us about the descendants of Adam and Eve and populating the Earth.

Why? What makes you think that story is meant in a literal way? Certainly it is much more powerful as an allegory. Literalism kills the symbolism inherent in it. By believing as you do you are killing the Bible.
Believer wrote:
The Bible teaches that we could not begin to take in all that there is to know. We don't even have the capability to come up with a tiny fraction of the questions only God has the answers to.

But, as we are no privy to all of Gods answers....
Believer wrote:
The mind of man cannot be compared to the mind of God. Until you realize that you will never understand anything you can't see in a microscope or find a fossil for, or dig up a bone to analyze.

Yet you keep insisting that you know the mind of God and have all the answers. Look at this list of answers you have! Of course they are based on a complete misconception of Christianity.
Believer wrote:
The answers to the deeper more meaningful questions in life are found through the Holy Spirit by placing your faith in God.

Apples and dwarf planets.

Are you defending Christianity because it needs defending?....

Or to satisfy your own ego?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Judged:

Part of the hatred the teachers teach!

The teachers pet

By Jim Ryan

Schools could teach the basics of psychology starting in first grade, so the children understand human nature and how to deal with things in a much better manner, but the lesson of the teachers pet, proves that schools choose to teach ignorance, hate and fighting.

We see how no one accepts the challenge of the teachers pet and the utter stupidity it taught for over 200 years in school.

By doing such for 200 years, we can easily see the stupidity of the copy and paste school system, how it teaches your kids to hate and it teaches them to be stupid.

So the so called psychology professionals run away from the truth and discussion. Hahahahahahahaha, you morons, you wouldn't know psychology if it bit you.

Psychology of ignorance taught in school!

What are the things that teachers do, that teach ignorance and hatred?

Teachers pit the teachers pet against all other students. Morons

College? Lol your teachers prove the stupidity you taught them. Higher education, what a joke.

Any psychologists here?
What a school system, aye!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to the slaves who wrote and sang those beautiful old spiritual songs. A few minutes of listening to some of them, realizing that those people are enjoying Heaven today, would be good for your soul.
Try it, no one but God will know!

Basically people believe what they are taught to believe.

Native Americans have some very moving songs. And for poetry try Rumi (Islamic).

You cannot point to worldly things and tell people God is in there.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"The evidence" -- ALL of it -- says dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago, and that modern humans began showing up about 100,000 years ago.
Agreed?
I agree.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

One way or another wrote:
The jealous little Evo morons wish they had a brain. Lol not one of the Evo morons have ever had even one new thought between them in all the years they've been here.
Seeing galaxies right now
Science by Jim Ryan
Ya know how when you look into a telescope, you see everything that the telescope is focused in on, right away, there's no wait at all. However, science claims that it takes billions of light years for the light from those distant galaxies to get here. If the light takes so long to get here, how come when we look into the telescope, we see those galaxies as soon as we look in the eye piece?
Lets just say that science is right about the light, even though science proves that is a lie, by other means.
Even if the light does get here from those galaxies, those galaxies can't send pictures on just light waves.

This is getting old. A good comedian keeps adding new material and changing up his routine. If a joke is no longer funny to him he is not going to be able to sell it to the audience.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
And for the rest of us that thinks there is inspiration in the Bible but that Yahweh is not a publishing house? What of us?
I'm not trying to force you to believe as I do or change your beliefs.
See the Bible for what you believe it to be, and give me the freedom to do the same.
<quoted text>
And for those of us who know better? What about us who believed what Jesus said in Matt 5:18-19?
<quoted text>
Be back, gotta go see what Jesus said in Matt 5: 18-19.
Not God's error, but rather an error in mans understanding. God never promised he would provide a perfect written manual to mankind. If you believe otherwise you have to do so from outside of the Bible.
<quoted text>
That may be True, but if God were going to leave us a book of instruction, He would not have allowed it to be filled with lies and sprinkle in a little truth here and there.
Whatever the Holy Spirit inspired the prophets and the disciples, Paul and writers of what makes up the Bible to say Would have been perfect. The men who did the writing and choosing were not perfect.
We believe it all to be INSPIRED by God FOR A REASON, and God doesn't lie.
The Bible calls much of the preaching we have heard over the centuries foolishness. But through even the least experienced or least educated preacher, IF his heart is right and his motives are pure, and he preaches the truth of Christ's birth, death and resurrection; the people who listen will get the message.
Nor are they required to. Believing in just anything is not right.
I agree!
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Judged:

The teachers and Evo morons prove to hate children.

Happy to learn

By Jim Ryan

When people offer intelligent thought, challenge it, never just take it for granted because it sounds good.

Think about this. If someone were moderating a class of kids and the kids were allowed and encouraged to challenge everything brought to the room, do ya think the kids would have fun? Do ya think they would learn many times faster and do you think it would give rise to so much more?

Yes, many times kids may be wrong, but I assure you, with just a little time, they would run to school everyday, laughing all the way, because they could all learn to express themselves, while being challenged and having fun. The moderator would not feel any pressure, because they would not have to defend their pride, believing they are smarter and getting mad when a kid brings something the teacher/ moderator didn't think of.

Addendum to my above post. Let the kids use computers of all kinds or even share with classmates, collaborating on the material.

What great fun they would have and they will run home everyday, telling you all they learned. If that didn't make you happy, nothing would.

How long before a great idea is implemented? The problem is, will your child be allowed to participate or will it just be given to the so called, best schools?

If I were a kid, I would love to know how the human mind worked, because it would make getting along in school much easier. I would love to have a class where I could have a computer and look up all this stuff and talk about it with my classmates, wouldn't you? What abut your kids?

Just think of interactive history classes, with a moderator that wanted you all to have your say.

Biology, reading and writing, all types. Go on, challenge your kids and watches jump out of bed in the morning, talking about each class, even the boring math and English classes. Hahahahahsha

Give them the true gift of learning, give them a voice, give them moderators, not prideful teachers.
Let the children speak with respect and let other children offer respectful rebuttal, with a moderator.

Children have the ability to teach themselves and other kids, if given half a chance and they would jump at the chance. Of course you would have to corral all the laughter, so the next ten classrooms weren't disturbed.

Chances are, that if classes were conducted this way, the moderators biggest problems would be, to keep the whole school from breaking out in laughter so big, that the whole neighborhood would know.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Judged:

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but the Evo morons are so good at it. Lol
Not one of them in all the years they've been here has ever had a thought all their own. Poor little Evo morons.
Teach as moderators
By Jim Ryan
They say a mind is a terrible thing to waste and yet, not one of the Evo morons has ever written anything new for science. It must be terrible to be so stupid.
Children need the chance to speak up and out. People as a whole do not like to have what they say challenged, especially teachers that believe teaching is more of a calling and according to the media, one of sacrifice for children, in so many cases.
The system pits the pride of the teachers against the children and the system.
If children are not allowed and encouraged to speak up and out, when will they have the chance? Do you think college professors will allow these young whippersnappers to challenge them and make them look ignorant or unknowing in their domain? How about the workplace, do you think the boss is going to give them voice?
Children need to have a voice or they lash out in many different ways or they go into their shell and just do as they are told, until they lash out or hurt themselves.
Children need moderators, not teachers!!!
Just ask yourself, did school teach you to think for yourself and if so, do tell us how they did it and what they did, because so far, not one person in the world can do so. Schools teach cubicle smarts, they can't and don't teach critical thinking, problem solving or how to think in general, even though they profess to do so. Lying seems to be their best lesson and they have many believers, but almost none that can prove such.

Are you moderating or teaching?

In your mind, that is.

In reality you are ranting like a loon.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there another faith you would want to take the place of the Christian faith. I don't see much to fight for when the radicals come to take over if we have been denied our freedom of being an honest, outspoken, loving, kind Christian. So, we hope we have the courage to die for our faith when that time comes.
Where is the persecution in:
Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
Love thy neighbor.
Take care of orphans widows and the poor among you.
If you have two coats and someone has none, give him one of yours.
Forgive your enemies.
Faith, hope, and love...the greatest of these is love.
If you want to eat, and are able to work, you should work.
Philippians 4: Whatsoever things are true, honest just, pure,, lovely and of good report, if there be any virtue and any praise, think on these things
Don't murder, don't steal, don't commit adultery,
Don't lie, don't covet,
(Seems like you should at least agree with these values being on public display.)
I'd vote for taking out the ones(for public display) that might be offensive to a Muslim, but if as they say we worship the same God, why would it be offensive.
I don't believe we worship the same God, so I would not be for changing the word God to any other name such as Allah, etc. so leaving those off in public is not a problem with me. And that doesn't make me a compromising Christian,, IMHO.
So you see no problem with a theocracy as long as it is your theology that is represented. Would people that have different religious views be allowed to live in this country or would they have to be purged? You would definitely have to abandon the Constitution for laws based on the Bible. I wonder why the founders decided they didn't want a theocracy? I realize you all claim they did, but since we have the Constitution, I think that is the biggest and best answer against your misguided and wrong view.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there another faith you would want to take the place of the Christian faith. I don't see much to fight for when the radicals come to take over if we have been denied our freedom of being an honest, outspoken, loving, kind Christian. So, we hope we have the courage to die for our faith when that time comes.
Where is the persecution in:
Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
Love thy neighbor.
Take care of orphans widows and the poor among you.
If you have two coats and someone has none, give him one of yours.
Forgive your enemies.
Faith, hope, and love...the greatest of these is love.
If you want to eat, and are able to work, you should work.
Philippians 4: Whatsoever things are true, honest just, pure,, lovely and of good report, if there be any virtue and any praise, think on these things
Don't murder, don't steal, don't commit adultery,
Don't lie, don't covet,
(Seems like you should at least agree with these values being on public display.)
I'd vote for taking out the ones(for public display) that might be offensive to a Muslim, but if as they say we worship the same God, why would it be offensive.
I don't believe we worship the same God, so I would not be for changing the word God to any other name such as Allah, etc. so leaving those off in public is not a problem with me. And that doesn't make me a compromising Christian,, IMHO.

Just because Jesus or the Bible said it does not mean most "Christians" truly practice it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!

Really? My reason for writing it was because I thought you might not understand these things.

My mistake then.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
And for the rest of us that thinks there is inspiration in the Bible but that Yahweh is not a publishing house? What of us?
I'm not trying to force you to believe as I do or change your beliefs.
See the Bible for what you believe it to be, and give me the freedom to do the same.
<quoted text>
And for those of us who know better? What about us who believed what Jesus said in Matt 5:18-19?
<quoted text>
Be back, gotta go see what Jesus said in Matt 5: 18-19.
Not God's error, but rather an error in mans understanding. God never promised he would provide a perfect written manual to mankind. If you believe otherwise you have to do so from outside of the Bible.
<quoted text>
That may be True, but if God were going to leave us a book of instruction, He would not have allowed it to be filled with lies and sprinkle in a little truth here and there.
Whatever the Holy Spirit inspired the prophets and the disciples, Paul and writers of what makes up the Bible to say Would have been perfect. The men who did the writing and choosing were not perfect.
We believe it all to be INSPIRED by God FOR A REASON, and God doesn't lie.
The Bible calls much of the preaching we have heard over the centuries foolishness. But through even the least experienced or least educated preacher, IF his heart is right and his motives are pure, and he preaches the truth of Christ's birth, death and resurrection; the people who listen will get the message.
Nor are they required to. Believing in just anything is not right.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

sorry Dogen, I inserted my comments into your post. I'd better go ack to my numbering system.

As for Matthew Chapter 5:18-19, I suggest we all go back and read ALL OF Matthew Chapter Five.
Don't forget to quote the Bible in the full context of the scriptures around where you find the quote.
If we all do that we can make it say just about anything we want it to say. Probably as with any other book or document.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So you see no problem with a theocracy as long as it is your theology that is represented. Would people that have different religious views be allowed to live in this country or would they have to be purged? You would definitely have to abandon the Constitution for laws based on the Bible. I wonder why the founders decided they didn't want a theocracy? I realize you all claim they did, but since we have the Constitution, I think that is the biggest and best answer against your misguided and wrong view.
No, I though I made clear my feelings about church and state! Freedom of religion means freedom of ALL religions.
I think what we don't agree on is that a totally secular government would remain a government that would uphold the moral values that decent human beings would want to be expected to live by.
I do believe that if we demonize a religion that gives us guidelines for living at peace with respect for our similarities and our differences, it will eventually be replaced and filter into the government and we would become an Islamic Country, or a Communist Country.
You seem to think people will continue to make laws that respect human rights and dignity, if we remove a faith that upholds those values from the public consciousness.
I think within a few years a radical group will take over our country. That is one reason I feel their first objective is to rid the world of Jews and Christians. They want to replace our God and our American values with their Allah and their Islamic values. I don't think Atheists want that any more than we do.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I though I made clear my feelings about church and state! Freedom of religion means freedom of ALL religions.
I think what we don't agree on is that a totally secular government would remain a government that would uphold the moral values that decent human beings would want to be expected to live by.
So, you believe that the government should be guided by religion and that that would be a means to a better, more moral society.

Are you a vegetarian?
Would you want all meat to be banned? Hindus and Buddhists routinely point out that eating meat is immoral.

Surely, our non-secular government would be best suited to adopt this issue to insure that people like yourselves remain moral.

Muslims point out that drinking alcohol is forbidden by the Koran and therefore immoral. It's true that it's a sacrament in Christianity, however to be on the safe side we should probably ban all wine. How else can we live in a truly moral society.

There are some sects in India that feel that sex is immoral. Guess that needs to go.

Beginning to see how glorious your "morally guided government" would be.

OH! Wait a second. You want "freedom" meaning YOU get to dictate your f*(king rules on other people but don't have to live under the rules OF the people you are dictating to.

Ahhh....

There's a word for that.

It's hypocrisy you twat.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

I'll bet the Evo morons wish they had a brain, instead of the obvious, cut and paste recorder, that the finest minds in the world gave them. Lmao. Morons.
How the pyramids were built!
New science by Jim Ryan 5/31/2013 on Topix
The pyramids were built from the inside out. The first course of block were laid, with the entrance lower than the first course of block. Then they built wooden tripods with ropes and pulleys, hoisting the block to the first level, where they were swung onto logs and rolled into place.
Some say the Egyptians were too stupid to invent block and tackle and yet, they were smart enough to outwit the smartest people in the world for all time. The pyramids are the greatest puzzle ever known to man.
As the smartest people say, leave no stone unturned! Morons only consider one side, even without proof.
So much wrong...

Please go back and finish 5th grade.

“Hello Darlings!”

Level 1

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for mine, right Gut Stomper?

You ought to see what this clown has to post about me on the "Why I'm No Longer A Christian" thread; he's like Jekyll here & Hyde over there. He/she changes graybox username with just about every post.

Knoxville, TN; that's what gave you away, "Stomper."

Pathetic hypocrite.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe that if we demonize a religion that gives us guidelines for living at peace with respect for our similarities and our differences, it will eventually be replaced and filter into the government and we would become an Islamic Country, or a Communist Country.
You seem to think people will continue to make laws that respect human rights and dignity, if we remove a faith that upholds those values from the public consciousness.
I think within a few years a radical group will take over our country. That is one reason I feel their first objective is to rid the world of Jews and Christians. They want to replace our God and our American values with their Allah and their Islamic values. I don't think Atheists want that any more than we do.
It is unclear for the most part, but if I missed something you have said in particular, I appreciate your reconfirming your views.

I don't have any doubt we will continue to make laws. Some will be good, some bad, some smart, some nonsensical. I have never suggested or stated that I think removal a Christianity, that is what we are talking about, should be removed. How would one do that? This is just more of the martyrdom not based on fact. I think any damage to Christianity is done from within anyway. Predominantly by fundamentalists. This is the case with Islam as well. You seem to think that Christianity has an exclusive option on American values and that any person not trained in these would lead this country astray. I disagree. The founders disagreed.

I think there are radical groups attempting to do that now. One of them is the Christian fundamentalists. I think atheists would likely consider it trading one monster for another.

“Hello Darlings!”

Level 1

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Buybull thumpers are no better that Qur'an Clowns. I'm not saying they should all be killed off, but it would be nice to be able to remove all their warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

And for you "christians" who tell yourselves that America was founded on christian values, remember this painful (for you!) fact: America is a *Republic* so it was actually founded on Greco-Roman *Pagan* values.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you believe that the government should be guided by religion and that that would be a means to a better, more moral society.
Are you a vegetarian?
Would you want all meat to be banned? Hindus and Buddhists routinely point out that eating meat is immoral.
Surely, our non-secular government would be best suited to adopt this issue to insure that people like yourselves remain moral.
Muslims point out that drinking alcohol is forbidden by the Koran and therefore immoral. It's true that it's a sacrament in Christianity, however to be on the safe side we should probably ban all wine. How else can we live in a truly moral society.
There are some sects in India that feel that sex is immoral. Guess that needs to go.
Beginning to see how glorious your "morally guided government" would be.
OH! Wait a second. You want "freedom" meaning YOU get to dictate your f*(king rules on other people but don't have to live under the rules OF the people you are dictating to.
Ahhh....
There's a word for that.
It's hypocrisy you twat.
I agree with you and this may be the first post I have seen where that last word got through. Was that intentional or a slip?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 144,301 - 144,320 of171,372
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Big Bang? 8 min In Six Days 48
Skull Valley lawmaker wants both sides of clima... (Feb '13) 11 min Kong_ 1,628
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 21 min KAB 133,935
Modern YEC is Not An Aberration of Traditional ... 28 min In Six Days 71
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 44 min In Six Days 87
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 47 min Morrat 10
When Will Evolutionists Confess Their Atheistic... 1 hr ChromiuMan 1,706
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 hr MikeF 112,792
•••