Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
144,281 - 144,300 of 172,519 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#147967 Aug 17, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
Did humans and dinosaurs coexist?
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably right along side your ancestors.
Which one of our ancestors?

Evidence?

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#147968 Aug 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
I'd rather be a Believing slave than an atheist/agnostic any day! And obviously so would the slaves!
You are arguing that the slaves wanted to be slaves.

I'm gonna take a WILD STAB in the dark and guess that you are Southern and White.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#147969 Aug 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
Wow, just consider what is going on in Egypt today!
The violence is almost as bad as when your "God" deliberately murdered millions of children for having done nothing wrong.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#147970 Aug 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Google drones are powered by spin gravity.....AND.....
I'm warning you...Google street view is watching you!
They track me with those strips in the $20 bills. I wonder how they know who got which twenty though.
One way or another

United States

#147971 Aug 17, 2013
The jealous little Evo morons wish they had a brain. Lol not one of the Evo morons have ever had even one new thought between them in all the years they've been here.

Seeing galaxies right now

Science by Jim Ryan

Ya know how when you look into a telescope, you see everything that the telescope is focused in on, right away, there's no wait at all. However, science claims that it takes billions of light years for the light from those distant galaxies to get here. If the light takes so long to get here, how come when we look into the telescope, we see those galaxies as soon as we look in the eye piece?

Lets just say that science is right about the light, even though science proves that is a lie, by other means.

Even if the light does get here from those galaxies, those galaxies can't send pictures on just light waves.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#147972 Aug 17, 2013
One way or another wrote:
The jealous little Evo morons wish they had a brain. Lol not one of the Evo morons have ever had even one new thought between them in all the years they've been here.
Seeing galaxies right now
Science by Jim Ryan
Ya know how when you look into a telescope, you see everything that the telescope is focused in on, right away, there's no wait at all. However, science claims that it takes billions of light years for the light from those distant galaxies to get here. If the light takes so long to get here, how come when we look into the telescope, we see those galaxies as soon as we look in the eye piece?
Lets just say that science is right about the light, even though science proves that is a lie, by other means.
Even if the light does get here from those galaxies, those galaxies can't send pictures on just light waves.
Thanks Jim, I needed my daily laugh!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#147973 Aug 17, 2013
Lmao, the Evo morons religion is just too funny. Hahahaha, Neanderthal has huge eye sockets, as big as an apes and yet, he can squint them to human size. Lmao, your religion is just too funny.

I have warned you to stay off the drugs.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#147974 Aug 17, 2013
Science is lying/proof
Read the one page at the following site and see if you can point out the purposeful lie by science.
http://www.businessinsider.com/high-quality-n ...
The eye sockets of Neanderthal are huge, while their depiction on this site are small.
Science is treating all as if we are idiots, too stupid to think for ourselves.

Come back when you are drug free.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#147975 Aug 17, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Lemurs have enormous eyes compared to their head. And yet they can squint too:
http://www.google.com/imgres...
It must suck to be Jimbo.

How anyone can amass this much stupid is beyond me.

I am not sure which is more insane, his critiques of real science or his own delusional variety.

He does keep us amused.
One way or another

United States

#147976 Aug 17, 2013
A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but the Evo morons are so good at it. Lol

Not one of them in all the years they've been here has ever had a thought all their own. Poor little Evo morons.

Teach as moderators

By Jim Ryan

They say a mind is a terrible thing to waste and yet, not one of the Evo morons has ever written anything new for science. It must be terrible to be so stupid.

Children need the chance to speak up and out. People as a whole do not like to have what they say challenged, especially teachers that believe teaching is more of a calling and according to the media, one of sacrifice for children, in so many cases.

The system pits the pride of the teachers against the children and the system.
If children are not allowed and encouraged to speak up and out, when will they have the chance? Do you think college professors will allow these young whippersnappers to challenge them and make them look ignorant or unknowing in their domain? How about the workplace, do you think the boss is going to give them voice?

Children need to have a voice or they lash out in many different ways or they go into their shell and just do as they are told, until they lash out or hurt themselves.

Children need moderators, not teachers!!!

Just ask yourself, did school teach you to think for yourself and if so, do tell us how they did it and what they did, because so far, not one person in the world can do so. Schools teach cubicle smarts, they can't and don't teach critical thinking, problem solving or how to think in general, even though they profess to do so. Lying seems to be their best lesson and they have many believers, but almost none that can prove such.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#147977 Aug 17, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
LowellGuy wrote:
Did humans and dinosaurs coexist?
<quoted text>
Which one of our ancestors?
Evidence?
You choose. You are the one with all the evidence!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#147978 Aug 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
1. As they should if they are believers in the Bible being the Word of God.

And for the rest of us that thinks there is inspiration in the Bible but that Yahweh is not a publishing house? What of us?
Believer wrote:
<quoted text> 2. And if you want to quote Darwin, then quote ALL of Darwin! I have no problem with quoting anything in the Bible IN CONTEXT, and realizing that Christ's death, burial, and resurrection changed the way a perfect, Holy God dealt with the sin of all mankind. He made everything. He had a right to deal with it in His way.

And for those of us who know better? What about us who believed what Jesus said in Matt 5:18-19?
Believer wrote:
<quoted text> 3. You can't prove there are "errors" in anything God said or did. I'd advise you to be careful continuing to disrespect God and the Bible.

Not God's error, but rather an error in mans understanding. God never promised he would provide a perfect written manual to mankind. If you believe otherwise you have to do so from outside of the Bible.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text> 4. I believe in the Old Testament as well as the New, but I am not Jewish. I am a follower of Christ. You people are not capable of understanding the difference, OBVIOUSLY!

Nor are they required to. Believing in just anything is not right.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#147979 Aug 17, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
They are free to _WANT_ to block gay marriage. However they are not free to _ACTUALLY_ block gay marriage.
<quoted text>
Firstly, no one is claiming that Darwin is supernatural or correct in all things. Second, who here isn't quoting Darwin when asked?
<quoted text>
If something is perfect, it doesn't need to change.
<quoted text>
If your claim is that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, then of course I can.
If your claim is that the Bible is an accurate depiction of events, then of course I can.
If your claim is that God's "creation" is perfect, then you are in for a VERY big surprise.
<quoted text>
....or else the "loving" invisible sky wizard will punish you forever in the fire pits of Hell which Dante' invented in pop literature.
<quoted text>
So, you believe that Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs exactly like the the Flintstones?
You believe that rabbits are a kind of cow?
You believe that prior to the Flood everything was in black and white?
You believe that T-Rex was a vegetarian?
You believe that on a bet, God let Satan kill Jobs entire family because Job was TOO FAITHFUL to God?
You believe that God deliberately murdered the children of Egypt as part of a twisted game he was playing?
You believe that there are other deities who grant magical powers to other people?
You believe that the Earth is flat?
You believe that everyone on the planet is descended from incest?
... that's a lot of believing.

And the Bible does not claim these things. It is people like Believer (falsely so called) that try to put words in God's mouth.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#147980 Aug 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>You choose. You are the one with all the evidence!
"The evidence" -- ALL of it -- says dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago, and that modern humans began showing up about 100,000 years ago.

Agreed?
One way or another

United States

#147981 Aug 17, 2013
I'll bet the Evo morons wish they had a brain, instead of the obvious, cut and paste recorder, that the finest minds in the world gave them. Lmao. Morons.

How the pyramids were built!

New science by Jim Ryan 5/31/2013 on Topix

The pyramids were built from the inside out. The first course of block were laid, with the entrance lower than the first course of block. Then they built wooden tripods with ropes and pulleys, hoisting the block to the first level, where they were swung onto logs and rolled into place.

Some say the Egyptians were too stupid to invent block and tackle and yet, they were smart enough to outwit the smartest people in the world for all time. The pyramids are the greatest puzzle ever known to man.

As the smartest people say, leave no stone unturned! Morons only consider one side, even without proof.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#147982 Aug 17, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have warned you to stay off the drugs.
I am considering an effort to get him on drugs. Self medicating may be the only treatment he will ever get.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#147983 Aug 17, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You should realize that Abe got "A house divided against itself..." from Mark 3:25. Fancy that - a fundie being informed by an agnostic atheist about the Bible. What are the odds?(Pretty damned good, as it turns out.) How many denominations of Christianity are there now, anyway?
You think there's enough difference between a fascist state and a theocracy to make any difference? Buy a clue, because
<quoted text>
ain't working for you - or for people who object to having Christian doctrines inflicted on classrooms and statutes. Maybe that's what's feeding your persecution complex.
Is there another faith you would want to take the place of the Christian faith. I don't see much to fight for when the radicals come to take over if we have been denied our freedom of being an honest, outspoken, loving, kind Christian. So, we hope we have the courage to die for our faith when that time comes.

Where is the persecution in:
Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
Love thy neighbor.
Take care of orphans widows and the poor among you.
If you have two coats and someone has none, give him one of yours.
Forgive your enemies.
Faith, hope, and love...the greatest of these is love.
If you want to eat, and are able to work, you should work.
Philippians 4: Whatsoever things are true, honest just, pure,, lovely and of good report, if there be any virtue and any praise, think on these things
Don't murder, don't steal, don't commit adultery,
Don't lie, don't covet,
(Seems like you should at least agree with these values being on public display.)
I'd vote for taking out the ones(for public display) that might be offensive to a Muslim, but if as they say we worship the same God, why would it be offensive.
I don't believe we worship the same God, so I would not be for changing the word God to any other name such as Allah, etc. so leaving those off in public is not a problem with me. And that doesn't make me a compromising Christian,, IMHO.
One way or another

United States

#147984 Aug 17, 2013
By history, teachers would rather have their students chained to their desks for at least 7 hours a day, with the children silent, so only the crappy teachers are heard, while the children are scared to speak and in their hearts, hate the teachers, as the teachers teach them.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#147985 Aug 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Or maybe just because you are free to want gay marriage, you should not be free to practice gay marriage in a country founded on Biblical principals. If Jesus had not come, would we still be burning witches and as they do in Muslim countries hanging gays?(You surely are grateful that we are not advocating Islam and the Koran.)

If we lived in a country founded on Biblical principles you might have a point, but most of us live in the U.S.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text> 2. So you quote Darwin, and Ill quote the Bible. I think we agree on that (different strokes).

If this were not a science related forum that would be just fine. Why are you so sensitive about this? Others are free to do what they want and believe what they want. Jesus had no problem with these people so why should you?
Believer wrote:
<quoted text> 3. It wasn't even close to being perfect then and still isn't. Science doesn't solve any of the problems God is in the process of solving. We have a hope for a perfect world to come. Science just keeps digging for more bones.

Render unto science the things that are sciences,
and unto God the things that are Gods.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
4. Okay. If that is what you want!
5. Okay. If that is what you want.

Better.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>6. You are grasping at straws. Everyone knows the world is a very imperfect place. Again, at least we have chosen a believe that answers some of those questions. I didn't think you cared so much that the world isn't a perfect place. You aren't going to change the fact that there is evil in the world looking into a microscope.

It is the microscope gazers that seem to be doing more to change the world that those "Christians" that are hell bent against love.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text> 7...
(Think I'm running out of room here.). I will continue next post.

Oh goody.

You are so full of opinions. Christianity should be freedom, but you enslave yourself.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#147986 Aug 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
13. God gives life and God has a plan.. We are all going to die of disease, natural causes like old age, accident, or murdered by someone. God will judge each individual. It is good to know we can trust Him with what we have no control over, and that He will make all things right for every creature in the end!

God may have a plan, but we are not privy to it nor its timing.

Do you believe in the 'teleological suspension of the ethical'?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min TurkanaBoy 115,238
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 1 hr Christian 205
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Dogen 136,264
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) 15 hr TurkanaBoy 315
Science News (Sep '13) Thu positronium 2,848
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism Aug 27 Zog Has-fallen 343
Natural Selection Not The Only Process That Dri... (Jan '14) Aug 25 reMAAT 20
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••