Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,617

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#145618 Aug 3, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Unknown =/= god done it.
Who created god? Where did god come from?
Now take your answers and apply them to the universe instead of God.
Why does God have to have a beginning since He created time in the first place?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#145619 Aug 3, 2013

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#145620 Aug 3, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>

Why does time and space have a beginning since they have always existed?

How did God exist if there was no time?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#145621 Aug 3, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we had time to invent god before it could begin.
One way or another

United States

#145622 Aug 3, 2013
Funny how children never rebut the facts and neither do the show they understand the subject. But of course any one of you could answer, right
2011, defender, and the rest of you?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#145623 Aug 3, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Adam was said to be sophisticated enough to name every creature rightly and his direct descendants were also not naive and they built cities which I think the evidence of may be on the ocean floor probably never to be uncovered.
Don't presume to excuse yourself from naivete, "descendant of Adam."
Where is it said that Adam named "every creature rightly?" It says that he named birds, livestock and the animals of the field - and those would only have been within the boundaries of his Garden. That's a few orders of magnitude away from "every creature rightly." Even with the ridiculous myth of extended longevity such a task would be a life-long career even before the silver platter was so petulantly yanked out from beneath him.
Since you bring up the building of cities, as of only one generation removed from Adam, who was the "city" of Enoch built FOR?
Given your track record for what you "think" "may be", you might well also "think" liverwurst "may be" a good cotton candy flavor with comparable success.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#145624 Aug 3, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Funny how children never rebut the facts and neither do the show they understand the subject. But of course any one of you could answer, right
2011, defender, and the rest of you?

Defender is on your side (The Mentally Irregulars).

If you ever read my posts and were capable of understanding.....

Well, we are 0 - 2 already so it is pointless.
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#145625 Aug 3, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right, Culture Club was from London.
That's not anything to brag about, mate.
The Smiths
Jesus and Mary chain
New order
Billy Bragg
The Happy Mondays

And you guys have .....

:-)

Actually joking apart - check out the Smiths - suspect you would appreciate it even if decades old
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#145626 Aug 3, 2013
Unknown=evolution=science of today, by morons that purposely enlarge the optics of telescopes to create the claimed, gravitational lensing, that then transcends the billions of light years of space's infinite cold, that sucks the lights heat, until the light is no more. Evolution controls science for morons.
And that my friends is what is known in technical terms as a 'condensate of nonsense'

Saves the virtual trees I guess as gets so much BS into a manageable chunk that can be discarded.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#145627 Aug 3, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did organic matter come from?
Where did Asteroids come from?
Where did the gases that cause the Big bang come from?
See, no matter what you "KNOW', it just causes more questions.
The origin of life is too complicated for you to completely explain,
.....but there must be an explanation.
Yes, there must be an explanation. There is no evidence yet that anything was done by a god of any sort.

In fact "God did it" is a non-explanation that stops the search for answers. It is worse than useless

Level 9

Everett, WA

#145628 Aug 3, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does the universe have to have a beginning since it started time in the first plast?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#145629 Aug 3, 2013
Oops - "plast" = "place"

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Bay of Fundy

#145630 Aug 3, 2013
Nowhere does science show that heat and light are one. I am the first to make that claim and the proof is all around us, do you know what that proof is?

How long before science wakes up?

If you can't tell us the proof and then rebut it, then you don't have a clue.
How long before you wake up from the deranged dream you are in??

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#145631 Aug 3, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny that no one noticed it gets warmer when the sun comes up.
Funny no one noticed that planets get colder the further they are from the sun.
Funny no one ever burnt up an ant with a magnifying glass.
You have a dizzy intellect. Truly.
Truly staggering. I guess he never went to grade school. I think that is where I was first introduced to the spectrum. We got prism out and made rainbow colors with the sunlight and the teacher talked about the light at the red end of the spectrum being called infrared. She let us feel the heat on that end of the spectrum and told us that even though you couldn't see the light, the indicated it was still there.

I better not mention what she said about the light beyond the violet end of the spectrum. It will get under his skin.
xianity is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#145632 Aug 3, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
he didnt

God is defined as The Conscious First Cause -
The First Cause is That which caused Time
Consciousness is that which lets one make a decision.
A Decision is the action of changing ones mind from undecided to decided.
Time is the measure of change.

Conclusions:
Time is required for Change,
A Decision is a Change.
Decisions require Time.
Consciousness can't let one make a decision without Time.
Consciousness requires Time.
God is Conscious.
God requires Time.
God can't be the cause of Time if God requires Time.
God isn't the cause of Time.
God isn't The First Cause.

Level 9

Bay of Fundy

#145633 Aug 3, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where scripture and evolution beliefs are similar.

When God made the world, I'm sure there was a big cosmic bang.

When God made every man, He said we were made from the dust of the earth, which includes all of the same ingredients (ancient soup) that Evolution says life began from.

My question is, what year did scientist know about the cosmic bang and the ancient soup and how did God's prophets know this information 6000 years earlier than scientist?
You write:
"When God made the world, I'm sure there was a big cosmic bang."

You're *sure* but you have no evidence....right?

You write:
"When God made every man, He said we were made from the dust of the earth, which includes all of the same ingredients (ancient soup) that Evolution says life began from."

God did not make *every* man, did He? And we know that ALL life on earth is basically the stuff of stars. ALL planets and everything on them is found in stars. So your statement here means absolutely nothing.

You write:
"My question is, what year did scientist know about the cosmic bang and the ancient soup and how did God's prophets know this information 6000 years earlier than scientist?"

"God's prophets" Didn't know sh!t....they were simply men creating a pious narrative to bring the Jewish people together. They were not *inspired by God* they were scamming for power.

The Big Bang is simply our best guess (but lots of brain power behind it) at this point....it isn't proven fact.

Level 9

Bay of Fundy

#145634 Aug 3, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Adam was said to be sophisticated enough to name every creature rightly and his direct descendants were also not naive and they built cities which I think the evidence of may be on the ocean floor probably never to be uncovered.
We know for a fact that mankind originated in Africa. We find the first Homo-sapiens around 200,000 years old....in Africa.

Homo-sapiens did not build cities until roughly 8,000 years ago (Jericho).

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#145635 Aug 3, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Oops - "plast" = "place"

But I like plast . lol
One way or another

United States

#145636 Aug 3, 2013
To allow ignorance is to become ignorance. No one challenges.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#145637 Aug 3, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"The stars of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, rotate about the galactic center with different speeds, the inner ones rotating faster than the outer ones. The observed rotation speeds are so fast that if our galaxy were more than a few hundred million years old, it would be a featureless disc of stars instead of its present spiral shape.1 Yet our galaxy is supposed to be at least 10 billion years old. Evolutionists call this "the winding-up dilemma," which they have known about for fifty years. They have devised many theories to try to explain it, each one failing after a brief period of popularity. The same "winding-up" dilemma also applies to other galaxies. For the last few decades the favored attempt to resolve the puzzle has been a complex theory called "density waves."1 The theory has conceptual problems, has to be arbitrarily and very finely tuned, and has been called into serious question by the Hubble Space Telescope's discovery of very detailed spiral structure in the central hub of the "Whirlpool" galaxy, M51.2"
http://www.icr.org/article/evidence-for-young...
You might have some cred if you had not completely ignored the reference that was given to recent computer modelling that allowed for stable long term spiral galaxies using current physical law.

So obviously you do not want this problem to be solved. You want to continue pointing to already solved problems and add them to your 99 list even when they are no longer an issue.

This is what makes you a contemptible liar. It also cheapens any argument you might have had on your list that made sense, though we have yet to find a singke one of course.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 min reporterreport 116,563
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... 27 min ChromiuMan 160
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 1 hr ChromiuMan 9
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 2 hr Zog Has-fallen 496
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Chimney1 137,090
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 9 hr thewordofme 57
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys 21 hr TedHOhio 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••