Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180279 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#143646 Jul 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok sooo what's the problem then?
Like I said you probably suffer from low self esteem.
defender

Somerset, KY

#143647 Jul 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>This is what happens when people read nothing but claptrap.

I have always been impressed that you claim some science in your educational background, but you cannot even tell non-science from pseudoscience, and pseudoscience from real science.
But yet for all your BS you cannot produce the fossils... Billions remember?... Perhaps somebody can find an extra ape jaw bone to place on human remains again huh?

Level 9

#143648 Jul 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I've checked. None of it holds up to scrutiny. Not even close. The horse example is no longer used you know. Every dinosaur fossil ever found is already a fully formed dinosaur. If you really believe what you say, present your best case right here and I'll take a look. But not getting my hopes up.
Transitional fossil evidence of horse evolution still stands and evidence continues to be accumulated and studied. Much the same as all the other transitional fossil evidence. You are just trying to wish it into the cornfield Dorothy. So far you haven't failed to meet my expectations.
defender

Somerset, KY

#143649 Jul 21, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said you probably suffer from low self esteem.
Can you give me one valid point? Anything but hollow insults? At least the others try ( in vain) to state a point... Your like the kid who stands behind the bully far to afraid to fight but keeps yelling "yeah that's right"... Coward...
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#143650 Jul 21, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
The fossil evidence for whales shows the descent from a land dwelling, ungulate carnivore through increasingly more whale-like descendants and finally the reduction of limbs and fully aquatic form of modern whales. Whales have the vestiges of hind limbs, a pelvis and the nonfunctioning genes that drive leg development in other animals.
Probably the most ridiculous theory of (next to the 3 bone middle ear bamboozle) is whale evolution. THINK about what you are proposing. A fish evolves into a amphibian and then into a mammal where it establishes itself on the land as a fully land mammal. A carnivore if you will. Then one day it decides to take a swim - a whole population of them - go swimming where they are easy prey for sharks etc and have no fresh water to drink and no ability to see or hear underwater. Their babies are born head first so immediately drown. They are at a tremendous disadvantage because they have left their dens, their food, their AIR, their WATER, their shelter, and all the comforts and security of the land. But regardless of all that, they manage to move their noses from the front of their faces all the way to the top of their heads. And because it is annoying that all of their babies are born dead because of drowning at birth, they manage to turn the babies around and have them feet first to avoid that problem. Then because it is very annoying to swim with exposed nipples, they manage to grow streamlined nipple flaps to tuck them out of the way. And because their food supply happens to be thousands of feet deep, they grow a bony skeleton around their lungs and develop the ability to withstand tremendous pressures and depth, even greater than most fishes and modern submarines. And while we're at it, they manage to develop specialized vocal ability designed for long distance under water communication along with specialized underwater hearing. That is truly the most wildly fantastic evotarded story anyone has every dreamed of.
defender

Somerset, KY

#143651 Jul 21, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Transitional fossil evidence of horse evolution still stands and evidence continues to be accumulated and studied. Much the same as all the other transitional fossil evidence. You are just trying to wish it into the cornfield Dorothy. So far you haven't failed to meet my expectations.
Horse evolution is a joke... Really?..
Level 6

Miami, FL

#143652 Jul 21, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Transitional fossil evidence of horse evolution still stands and evidence continues to be accumulated and studied. Much the same as all the other transitional fossil evidence. You are just trying to wish it into the cornfield Dorothy. So far you haven't failed to meet my expectations.
Not really. It's pretty much passé now. You should take an evotard refresher course.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#143653 Jul 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm the dodger?.

Yes. You can not even engage in a rational civil discussion. You cannot provide any science so you just insult people. That's all you have. That is all you have ever had.

Level 9

#143654 Jul 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give me one valid point? Anything but hollow insults? At least the others try ( in vain) to state a point... Your like the kid who stands behind the bully far to afraid to fight but keeps yelling "yeah that's right"... Coward...
All you have offered are hollow childish insults and you have made no effort to support you assertions. You are just a cowardly troll and all the evidence of your posts support that.

I guess it makes you feel big to do what you do on here. One day you may grow up, but I don't hold out much hope that you will mature.

Poor little thing.

Level 9

#143655 Jul 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
I am still waiting for evidence from you in support of your wild assertions. At leas the others try to post something. Worthless, but something. You are just yapping like a little dog trying to get attention.

Poor little dog dragging your butt all over this thread.

Level 9

#143656 Jul 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. It's pretty much passé now. You should take an evotard refresher course.
Whatever chickie. Never heard of evidence being dismissed because it is becoming passé. That is a new one for me. I will have to give you one for novelty, but not reality.

I want to learn more about the creation journals you mentioned. In what part of the comic book store do they display them for sale?
Level 6

Miami, FL

#143657 Jul 21, 2013
Whale evolution. FCOL. From a dog-like carnivore to the LARGEST KNOWN ANIMAL TO EVER HAVE EXISTED? Blue whales can be 98 feet long and weigh 170 tons! Whale Evolution! LMFAO!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#143658 Jul 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a single example of how evolution "uses every component of the scientific method".
The only reason you zealously defend evolution is because it is your religion.
You prove my point.

I defend science and rationality.

The scientific method lets reality speak for itself.

But first lets make sure we are on the same page as to what the scientific method is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_meth...

"Four essential elements of the scientific method are:
iterations
recursions,
interleavings, or orderings of the following:

Characterizations (observations definitions, and measurements of the subject of inquiry)

Hypotheses (theoretical, hypothetical explanations of observations and measurements of the subject)

Predictions (reasoning including logical deduction[53] from the hypothesis or theory)

Experiments (tests of all of the above)

Each element of the scientific method is subject to peer review for possible mistakes."

"A linearized, pragmatic scheme of the four points above is sometimes offered as a guideline for proceeding:

Define a question
Gather information and resources (observe)
Form an explanatory hypothesis
Test the hypothesis by performing an experiment and collecting data in a reproducible manner
Analyze the data
Interpret the data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for new hypothesis
Publish results
Retest (frequently done by other scientists)

The iterative cycle inherent in this step-by-step method goes from point 3 to 6 back to 3 again."

----------

All of this is scientific method 101 (lecture #1) of course.

I just want to make sure you are not using some creationist parody of the scientific method and we agree on what the real thing is.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#143659 Jul 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Your way behind bud... Read ahead alittle...

since there is nothing in your rants and.... well, that is all that is ever in your posts.
defender

Somerset, KY

#143660 Jul 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Whale evolution. FCOL. From a dog-like carnivore to the LARGEST KNOWN ANIMAL TO EVER HAVE EXISTED? Blue whales can be 98 feet long and weigh 170 tons! Whale Evolution! LMFAO!
Lol...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#143661 Jul 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh course not!!! Everybody is stupid who don't drink your kool aid!!!

No, people are stupid because they are stupid. That may be circular, but it is a fact.

You do not know enough to have lucid or rational discussion on any of the subjects discussed here.

You can't even word your objections the way a person informed on the subject would because you don't have enough actual knowledge to do so.

I am not asking you to agree with what science claims. I am just asking you to read enough about it so you don't make yourself look ignorant.

I think it in your best interest to follow my advice on this matter.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>Weird rant. We are pointing out the fact that you don't understand what you are talking about.

If you want to LEARN about science and level cogent criticism about it then we would value your input. But you simply say things that indicate you don't even understand what you are arguing against.
defender

Somerset, KY

#143662 Jul 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>since there is nothing in your rants and.... well, that is all that is ever in your posts.
Coming from the google cut and paste king...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#143663 Jul 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I've checked. None of it holds up to scrutiny. Not even close. The horse example is no longer used you know. Every dinosaur fossil ever found is already a fully formed dinosaur. If you really believe what you say, present your best case right here and I'll take a look. But not getting my hopes up.

Wow. I was just going of on Defender for not having any idea of which he is talking about and here you are with this clown act.

what would a NOT fully formed dinosaur look like? How come we have so many dinosaur transitional fossils? Horses are still great examples of evolution especially since it illustrates branched lineages of evolution.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#143664 Jul 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what you get when putting the evolutionist to the test... Pathetic... No other word for it... Nothing but a bag of hot air that can prove nothing... " Oh but the mountains of overwhelming evidence"... Yeah right...
Wrong. The fact is that all of the evidence supports what we claim.

Your side cannot even come up with a scientific hypothesis that predicts what we would see due to creation.

You cannot explain the fossil record.

We can.

You cannot explain the many biological hierarchies that exist.

Such as:

Homology, you can't, we can.

DNA relatedness, you can't, we can.

ERV's, you can't, we can.

Embryology, you can't, we can.

Taxonomy, you can't, we can.

All of biology is tied together through the theory of evolution. Creationism has nothing like that. If you won't look at the evidence, but instead focus on the gaps you will never understand evolution.

Considering that all your side has is nothing I can understand why you only want to look at the "nothing" we have. Our nothings keep growing smaller ever year. Every new find that there is only confirms evolution and adds more informtation to the sicence. Meanwhile your side continually makes claims that are debunked and that is all.

And even when your claims are debunked your side tries to keep that garbage going. Look at pathetic Urb and his worship of John Sanford. Sanford's book was debunked before it was even published. He still won't let that one go.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#143665 Jul 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
I did dip$hit... Mugie and SZ asses are still in flames... Learn to read bud...

Ranting at people proves nothing. I know that is all you have so I do feel sorry for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min Parrot Slayer 58,583
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 39 min Dexter 27,463
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Dogen 159,375
News Intelligent Design Education Day 11 hr Subduction Zone 8
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 11 hr Dogen 2,044
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 16 hr Regolith Based Li... 219,629
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Feb 23 Sentinel 1,758
More from around the web