Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179707 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#142914 Jul 18, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL the religions are false, and Nimrod probably never existed.
You preacher/minister/priest has seriously led you down the path of madness.
There is one true God and Noah knew him, but his great grandson tried to make a name for himself and created false gods and altars to them.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#142915 Jul 18, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL dreams my friend.
God is NOT love....
OH yes, the gospel of Jesus is true and I have seen evidence of it in stone.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#142916 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The first men lived several hundred years as compared to our one hundred something maximum and nowhere on any paintings or sculptures of record have men resembled apes going back to the time of Nimrod.
This could only be true if your God actually existed. We have entire skeleton of humans (Homo-sapiens) that were alive 200,000 years ago, and they were not ape like at all. The first cave art that we know about is around 30,000+- years ago...after the Homo-sapiens had moved into Europe and Asia. There were no apes in Europe or Asia.

The cave art the humans depicted 30,000+- years ago was mostly the animals they existed with and hunted.

The last of our ape like ancestors died out hundreds of thousands of years ago....thus, no cave art depicting our ape like ancestors.

The Bibles depiction of the early world was totally lacking in understanding of what ACTUALLY happened.

And, there as NO Adam and Eve....that has been proven.

Prove me wrong.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#142917 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>There is one true God and Noah knew him, but his great grandson tried to make a name for himself and created false gods and altars to them.
We know for a fact that a world-wide flood NEVER happened....so there ia a real good chance that Noah never existed.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#142918 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>OH yes, the gospel of Jesus is true and I have seen evidence of it in stone.
If Adam and Eve never existed as written in the Bible that means there was NO 'Original Sin' that needed human blood sacrifice to expiate from us.

What need was there for Jesus? Wasn't his mission to take on our non-existent 'Original sins?'

What gospel are you talking about?

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#142919 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>OH yes, the gospel of Jesus is true and I have seen evidence of it in stone.
Don't you think that 'Original Sin' crap is stupid? I mean here is God saying that the children inherit the sins of the father, and in several other places in the Bible He says that the children do NOT inherit the sins of the father. Really stupid dogma.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#142920 Jul 18, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot "know" this.
I DO know the hill of the skull and the story of calvery was real. I have miracle stone with elements of the event pictured on it.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#142921 Jul 19, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>There is one true God and Noah knew him, but his great grandson tried to make a name for himself and created false gods and altars to them.
Actually your god has a birthday, it's the same exact day that Adam was born.
Except it isn't 6,000 years ago, it's more like 2,700.
Before then monotheism was flirted with , but god was less human and more like the sun. With christardanity god is more human like and still like the son, go figure who would have thunk that?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#142922 Jul 19, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I DO know the hill of the skull and the story of calvery was real. I have miracle stone with elements of the event pictured on it.
You have a miracle stone. That is some pretty impressive evidence.

Look at all of this evidence for the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Don't stop on the first page, it goes on and on.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#142923 Jul 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh My Gosh! I have never heard anyone say that "faith must die if we want evil gone. " I think I am in shock! You had seemed to me to be one of the more reasonable (accepting of other opinions) of the posters here.
Wars are not fought over faith. Wars are fought over religion. There is no link between Faith in Christ and the kind of religion that I would agree is rooted in evil.
Right, the old "I'm not religious, I'm Christian" saw that evangelicals started trotting out to distance themselves from the larger sects and to try to avoid their efforts to trample the separation of church and state being seen as such. Lie to yourself all you want, but know that you are lying to yourself.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142924 Jul 19, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I DO know the hill of the skull and the story of calvery was real. I have miracle stone with elements of the event pictured on it.
Look...whatever you think you see is what you THINK you see. The human brain is great at detecting patterns, and will find them even where none exist. Looking at clouds, listening to white noise, looking at crystalline formations in rocks. Have you ever considered that had the rock been cut any other way, it wouldn't look like what you think it looks like? It's merely an accident of happenstance. And, if it had words written in it, THAT would be a miracle. If it has ambiguous curvy shapes and blobs, that is just natural formations into which you're reading a personal meaning. It's just as significant as the guano Mary or the grilled cheese Jesus. It's just your brain finding a pattern because that's what it does. That you attribute meaning to your brain's overactive pattern-finding is your fault and faulty reasoning. Recognize what you're doing for what it is.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142925 Jul 19, 2013
Christinsanity wrote:
<quoted text>
Pride in the supernatural is preventing you from experiencing a whole 'nother world called reality.
A closed mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Now I am beginning to understand you folks a little better. I should close my mind to caring about the evil in the world and focus on what I can understand with my natural mind; and then maybe i would not be accused by folks like you as an ignorant, naive, close minded, moron.
Funny, it seems to me you are the one who has closed your mind to what you don't understand.
You would have to admit that man cannot and will never figure out all the mysteries to life depending on scientific evidence.
Genesis depicts evil as a "snake in the grass." Maybe God did make the story of Genesis simple so that even a child can get the picture of the difference between god and evil.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142926 Jul 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Beyond the North Star.
You're thinking of Neverland.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142927 Jul 19, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Most all false religions were started by Noah's great grandson Nimrod.
Don't forget Saul of Tarsus.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142928 Jul 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
If you really want to expand your thinking, try looking into the supernatural spiritual evidence that you haven't yet recognized is all around you.
Looks like you would want to understand everything there is to understand.
There is no evidence of "supernatural" anything.
Did you define "spiritual" yet?
Show us a single piece of "spiritual evidence."
Then, show is a single piece of "supernatural spiritual evidence."
It's easy to just say things. Demonstrating that they're true is much more difficult. If you want to just make assertions and claims that are unfounded and baseless, that's your prerogative, but don't pretend to be doing anything other than that.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142929 Jul 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be interesting to know how much of the nonsense you folks spout out is assumption or just false evidence thrown out there by some egomaniac scientist because you guys will swallow it all, hook, line and sinker.
Uh...before you take the splinter from our eyes...
Believer wrote:
You say we believe fairy tales and myth.
Jesus walked on water: myth.
Adam and Eve/Garden of Eden: myth.
Noah's ark: myth.
Virgin birth: myth.
Resurrection: myth.
Miracles: myth.
Creationism: fairy tale.
Exodus: legend.
Yes, you do believe fairy tales and myths. Or, don't you believe those things?
Believer wrote:
You believe whatever sounds scientific.
Wrong. You don't understand how science works, and now you try to tell people how science works. Why don't you feel guilty when you lie about other people? By that same token, why do you get your panties in a twist when others allegedly do that about you? Asshole.
Believer wrote:
Most of you guys are just sideline cheerleaders for anything that makes you feel and sound intelligent.
Well, we sure ain't gonna jump in to make sure we feel and sound stupid. That's what you and the other creationists are here for.

Is 1.10 greater than, less than, or equal to 1.9? The veracity of the Bible depends on it!
Believer wrote:
Pride in what you think you have learned through education and osmosis in a science lab, textbook, or crazy links on the internet is keeping you from experiencing a whole other world of possibilities in the supernatural.
Ah, of course. When you trust that the meticulously careful process of scientific discovery leads to more and more precise and valid understandings of the universe, you reduce your acceptance of fanciful stories about magic and wizards and zombies, and that's BAD!

Do you believe bigfoot exists?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142930 Jul 19, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It is your choice to believe the delusion that God is not real and that Jesus never existed. I choose to believe Jesus is who he said he is and I have many reasons to know this.
Many reasons, like "my mom says it's true," and "my family will disown me if I don't agree." But, actual evidence? Oh, right..."faith." No evidence required.

Do you believe bigfoot exists?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142931 Jul 19, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
The good news is that a beautiful place is being prepared for those who love God and believe in his gift of forgiveness for all wrongdongs, through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross. We learn this gospel either by someone telling us or reading the Bible for ourselves. We choose to believe our Creator has all power to make a New Heaven and a New Earth for his people and freewill is involved to accept or deny and reject this.
You know, every Christian sect has its own version of Heaven that excludes all the other sects.

"WE CHOOSE TO BELIEVE" says it all. It's not that you've been convinced by facts and evidence, you simply CHOOSE to believe, and that's good enough for you.

What about people who choose to believe other things? Why is THEIR choice to believe invalid and yours valid? Please, back it up with evidence and sound reasoning, not a bunch of unsubstantiated baseless assertions. Thanks in advance for a whole lot of nothing.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142932 Jul 19, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Variations exist in offspring to allow for artificial breeding...such as breeding a sweet apple from a crabapple.
No variations exist in the offspring that could be selected for to create steps toward a whale.
So your analogy demonstrates base ignorance of fundamental laws of biology.
Prove it.

Easy to say, hard to demonstrated. Creationists are big on assertions, but thin on evidence. As soon as you prove your claims true, we'll start to care. Until then, you're just another liar for Jesus. Keep up the good work. Your God appreciates all your lies.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#142933 Jul 19, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I am beginning to understand you folks a little better. I should close my mind to caring about the evil in the world and focus on what I can understand with my natural mind; and then maybe i would not be accused by folks like you as an ignorant, naive, close minded, moron.
Funny, it seems to me you are the one who has closed your mind to what you don't understand.
You would have to admit that man cannot and will never figure out all the mysteries to life depending on scientific evidence.
Genesis depicts evil as a "snake in the grass." Maybe God did make the story of Genesis simple so that even a child can get the picture of the difference between god and evil.
Hogwash.

God bless you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Aura Mytha 216,739
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 min GoTrump 154,703
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 25 min One way or another 48,580
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr karl44 23,504
Richard Dawkins tells the truth 17 hr Timmee 9
Science News (Sep '13) 23 hr _Susan_ 3,985
Might life have spontaneously have started mill... Sun The Northener 642
More from around the web