Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180300 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#142831 Jul 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Not even close. I can just as easily say that your religion of atheism is wrapped up in fear... fear of accountability for your actions.

That would not make sense as someone with such a fear would likely convert to Christianity which removes accountability for those actions.

It is more likely that a Christian would have such an intrinsic fear than an atheist.

Oh..... so this is projection.

I actually did not see that coming till I was typing my second sentence!

I have not got to call projection all day!

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142832 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of "you don't understand "do you not understand?
You do not have the ability to understand God, the supernatural, or spiritual.
You must want to have a spiritual connection to God if you want to understand the things of God.
If my saying this makes you angry, you should ask yourself why.
Why would you get angry at the fairy tale babblings of an ignorant, naive, moron?

You are not evidencing this ability in the above post.

I think I can call 'Projection' two posts in a row!

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#142833 Jul 18, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>A blend of corn and malt with domestic and imported hops.
No, that is Natural Light. Sorry.
By coincidence, When I initially read this, I happened to be imbibing upon some Bud Lite...as well as some exquisite single-malt scotch (Macallan's 12 yr old) with some friends.

Ah...life is sweet!

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142834 Jul 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah! The "Me to know and you to find out" defense. Brilliant.

Yea, pretty lame.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Happy New Year

#142835 Jul 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Variations exist in offspring to allow for artificial breeding...such as breeding a sweet apple from a crabapple.
No variations exist in the offspring that could be selected for to create steps toward a whale.
So your analogy demonstrates base ignorance of fundamental laws of biology.
Not in the way you misunderstand the evolution of whales. But as real scientists and intelligent people actually understand science, it isn't difficult to see.

I don't have any doubts that I understand the fundamentals of biology. Even if my level of understanding were less than it is, it would still be strong enough to recognize that you don't know squat about it.

Only someone pretending to be a doctor and having no education in biology, would make the ridiculous statements you make.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142836 Jul 18, 2013
Christinsanity wrote:
<quoted text>
Supernatural exists. It's a pretty good album from Santana ;)

Ooooh. My all time favorite Santana album. Abraxas is second. Oldie but goodie.

Since: Feb 13

United States

#142837 Jul 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>You are not evidencing this ability in the above post.

I think I can call 'Projection' two posts in a row!
InVidor would be proud of you :)
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#142838 Jul 18, 2013
The good news is that a beautiful place is being prepared for those who love God and believe in his gift of forgiveness for all wrongdongs, through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross. We learn this gospel either by someone telling us or reading the Bible for ourselves. We choose to believe our Creator has all power to make a New Heaven and a New Earth for his people and freewill is involved to accept or deny and reject this.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142839 Jul 18, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Do you always imagine Dogen naked when you are responding to him?

Please don't stir that up in him.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#142840 Jul 18, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
By coincidence, When I initially read this, I happened to be imbibing upon some Bud Lite...as well as some exquisite single-malt scotch (Macallan's 12 yr old) with some friends.
Ah...life is sweet!
Envy. Now I got to run to the fridge.

United States

#142841 Jul 18, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Not in the way you misunderstand the evolution of whales. But as real scientists and intelligent people actually understand science, it isn't difficult to see.

I don't have any doubts that I understand the fundamentals of biology. Even if my level of understanding were less than it is, it would still be strong enough to recognize that you don't know squat about it.

Only someone pretending to be a doctor and having no education in biology, would make the ridiculous statements you make.
I recall an experiment with single cell organisms.
40,000,000 were subjected to (I believe) gamma radiation. Most died but of the few thousand that survived, their offspring were gamma resistant.

Sorry I can't cite my source. I used to read a lot and during these convos, my recall is pretty good, but remembering from where it comes isn't possible.

Time to realize that age is catching up to me...

United States

#142842 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
The good news is that a beautiful place is being prepared for those who love God and believe in his gift of forgiveness for all wrongdongs, through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross. We learn this gospel either by someone telling us or reading the Bible for ourselves. We choose to believe our Creator has all power to make a New Heaven and a New Earth for his people and freewill is involved to accept or deny and reject this.
Do I get fancy streets made of gold and will I be allowed to wail my undying gratitude at god's feet for the rest of eternity?

Pass.

United States

#142843 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
P.S. If you really buy that bunk, god already prepared a beautiful place for us to dwell but greedy right wing pricks screwed it all up.
Hurry up with your rapture so those of us who want to be here can clean up your mess.

Buh bye.

United States

#142844 Jul 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>Please don't stir that up in him.
You make his naughty parts tingle :)

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#142845 Jul 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't stir that up in him.
I'm still laughing at this one. That was the second fundamentalist rant I responded to that involved one or all of us described without clothes. I'm sure it is coincidence, but I will try not to get to the naked truth out of courtesy and respect.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142846 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Where is this beautiful place?

Location hidden

#142847 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
What is wrong with old heaven?

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142848 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
The earth/ turf and all that exists was created by God. God 's turf is where I am living. I thought you would never come here? Are you saying you are willing and capable of understanding the rules we play by here on God's turf?

Your view is too limited.

My big right toe is God's turf.

Black holes are God's turf.

My imagination is God's turf.

General relativity is God's turf.

Likewise with the big bang, evolution, chicken pox, atheism, algebra, cold stone Buddhas, Satan,......

Thus so, I think you are the one who is not willing to play on "God's turf".

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142849 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
Science is in the process of trying to create human life. What would scientists do, if God had not already created everything the scientist will use for his experimentation?
If you had challenged Hod in the Garden of Eden, he would probably have expected you to bring your own dirt.

Sometimes you are pretty rational and even intelligent.

This is not one of those times.

Location hidden

#142850 Jul 18, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
How do you love something that isn't there?

How did a man who didn't exist get nailed to a pagan cross?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 1 hr dollarsbill 6,058
Womans Birth Cycle absolutely Proves Design and... 6 hr Endofdays 73
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Endofdays 93,421
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Endofdays 167,975
Why the Big Bang is ALL WRONG. Mon Rose_NoHo 85
What's your religion? (Sep '17) Mon was auch immer 1,156
List what Evolution Discoveries have helped SCI... Mon MIDutch 14