Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179628 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

HTS

Englewood, CO

#142749 Jul 18, 2013
NikkiShae wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true my friend, I know nothing of YOUR religion. If it's anything like Christianity then it just a pile of bull shit wrapped up in fear and sold as a salvation so you can get on your knees and worship a supernatural being in the afterlife. Close?
Not even close. I can just as easily say that your religion of atheism is wrapped up in fear... fear of accountability for your actions.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142750 Jul 18, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide an example of "supernatural Truth".
What part of "you don't understand "do you not understand?
You do not have the ability to understand God, the supernatural, or spiritual.
You must want to have a spiritual connection to God if you want to understand the things of God.
If my saying this makes you angry, you should ask yourself why.
Why would you get angry at the fairy tale babblings of an ignorant, naive, moron?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#142751 Jul 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Not even close. I can just as easily say that your religion of atheism is wrapped up in fear... fear of accountability for your actions.
And yet HST is still too chicken to proclaim what he actually believes.

HST, it is fairly clear that you are some sort of Christian. So just how much of the Bible do you believe is true? How much of it do you follow?
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142752 Jul 18, 2013
NikkiShae wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll play on your turf anytime.
You do not have the ability to play on turf that does not exist, do you?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#142753 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
science and religion could be considered similar in many ways.
Christianity is not a religion. Christianity is Faith based on natural evidence and supernatural Truth.
What natural evidence? You've provided none. Also, you have yet to prove anything supernatural exists, let alone has any truth.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142754 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of "you don't understand "do you not understand?
You must want to have a spiritual connection to God if you want to understand the things of God.
Why would you get angry at the fairy tale babblings of an ignorant, naive, moron?
Ah! The "Me to know and you to find out" defense. Brilliant.

Since: Feb 13

United States

#142755 Jul 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Not even close. I can just as easily say that your religion of atheism is wrapped up in fear... fear of accountability for your actions.
Fear?!?

You clearly have no understanding of what the absence of theology means.

United States

#142756 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>What part of "you don't understand "do you not understand?
Your myth is no more complex than Greek mythology.

I think you put way too much self importance on your words. For me, I find your misplaced arrogance to be cute, laughable even ;)

United States

#142757 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>You do not have the ability to play on turf that does not exist, do you?
www.rif.org

Give them a try ;)

United States

#142758 Jul 18, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>What natural evidence? You've provided none. Also, you have yet to prove anything supernatural exists, let alone has any truth.
Supernatural exists. It's a pretty good album from Santana ;)
HI O

Akron, OH

#142759 Jul 18, 2013
I have tried on numerous attempts to get back to this thread and someone keeps messing it and an error shuts me off. Is this someone able to hack everyones PC? Was Snowden right?
HI O

Akron, OH

#142760 Jul 18, 2013
One way or another wrote:
I know why some roman concrete has lasted for thousands of years, while other roman concrete failed.
The scientists claim not to know.
They learned it from secret Egyptian methods?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#142761 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>What part of "you don't understand "do you not understand?
I'm far from angry.

And that you ARE "ignorant" and "naive" from a scientific standpoint is unfortunately obvious.

But I DO reject that you...or anyone else..."understands God" more than myself.

Or than anyone else that has ever lived, for that matter.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142762 Jul 18, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
What natural evidence? You've provided none. Also, you have yet to prove anything supernatural exists, let alone has any truth.
What part of "you do not have the ability to understand,"do you not understand. God is love, God is spirit. God is Holy. God is Truth.
You can only know and understand the Spiritual and Supernatural nature of God with the understanding that can only come when you want to know God. That knowledge will become clear to you in your spirit ( not your intellect/mind/brain), but your spirit. You spiritual awareness (if you choose to use it) is the only way you will ever understand a Supernatural God.
A physically blind man cannot see the natural world, but you do not have to convince him there is one. He knows it is there, and that he is part of it.
A spiritually blind man cannot see the things of God, and cannot be convinced God is there if he refuses to accept that possibility and wants to be a part of it.
I don't care what you believe or think, and I care even less about what you think of me!
Your relationship with God is totally your choice. If it makes you angry for me to say that, you should wonder why!
if you want to convince me I am wrong, ask yourself why.
Why would you care that an ignorant, fairy tale believing moron thinks differently than you?

United States

#142763 Jul 18, 2013
HI O wrote:
<quoted text>They learned it from secret Egyptian methods?
A shortage of dilithium crystals?

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#142764 Jul 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>It's laughable to listen to an atheist babble on about "evidence", when all that he presents is his religion to defend a suppposed scientific theory. Dogen, you haven't the slightest clue what constitutes scientific evidence, given the fact that you have thus far presented nothing. I've edbunked all of your recycled arguments... homology, trasnposons, atavisms, homo erectus, etc. etc. You have absolutely nothing. You are naked.
Do you always imagine Dogen naked when you are responding to him?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142765 Jul 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You have no understanding of selective breeding. Producing novel breeds of corn has nothing to with creating a whale from a land mammal. Selective breeding does not create any novel genetic information, so your analogy is false.

And ToE does contend that trees evolved from unicellular forms, and that worms evolved into more complex animals, etc., so stop disavowing yourself from what you believe. You believe that you evolved from a worm.
Corn is just one of many thousands of examples. Analogy stands

Evolution of the whale is well documented from Pakicetus to modern whales.

Trees evolved from lower forms of vascular plants.

The term worm is pretty broad don't you think? Are you referring to Spartobranchus tenuis?

I'm not disavowing myself from anything. I like a more direct approach so all can observe what the evidence shows.

Location hidden

#142766 Jul 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
Actually no. I'm not afraid of a mythical lake of fire...

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#142767 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of "you do not have the ability to understand,"do you not understand. God is love, God is spirit. God is Holy. God is Truth.
You can only know and understand the Spiritual and Supernatural nature of God with the understanding that can only come when you want to know God. That knowledge will become clear to you in your spirit ( not your intellect/mind/brain), but your spirit. You spiritual awareness (if you choose to use it) is the only way you will ever understand a Supernatural God.
A physically blind man cannot see the natural world, but you do not have to convince him there is one. He knows it is there, and that he is part of it.
A spiritually blind man cannot see the things of God, and cannot be convinced God is there if he refuses to accept that possibility and wants to be a part of it.
I don't care what you believe or think, and I care even less about what you think of me!
Your relationship with God is totally your choice. If it makes you angry for me to say that, you should wonder why!
if you want to convince me I am wrong, ask yourself why.
Why would you care that an ignorant, fairy tale believing moron thinks differently than you?
In other words, it's all made up bull crap and you can't prove otherwise. Right?

Location hidden

#142768 Jul 18, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>You do not have the ability to play on turf that does not exist, do you?
How about you create it and let's see what happens...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 min Chimney1 150,937
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 min Demon Finder 13,246
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min Chimney1 31,198
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 28 min Regolith Based Li... 197,278
News RANT: Is "global warming" today's version of th... Wed bearings 2
Another "gap" gets closed Tue MIDutch 1
Christianity and why its wrong + evolution debates May 21 Zog Has-fallen 15
More from around the web