Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,949)

Showing posts 138,961 - 138,980 of171,380
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, Tinka. Now there was a being (human?) that marched to the knife of a different bird.
Stone bird killing two timers?
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like, "In God we Trust!"???
In God We Trust must have meant something very significant to the founders of our Country.
To compare trusting God to honor killing is a poor argument for the point you are trying to make.
Last time I looked our founding documents don't say anything about honor killing.
If you believe in honor killing, why don't you move to a place that practices it.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter. That's what they call it. Is such an act evil?
<quoted text>
You're mistaking the map for the place. The name is not the thing. I don't care what you think of the name, I just care whether you say such an act is evil or not. Every time you avoid answering the question, you demonstrate that you know your argument fails.
<quoted text>
Again, the name is irrelevant. The name is not the act. Is the act itself (not the name or the nature of the name or the possible connotations of the words used to compose the name) evil? Answer the question.
What you will never understand is just because you do not believe honor killing is evil that makes it science instead of supernatural activity.
I'm glad we haven't started teaching honor killing in our public schools. Left to people like you, our kids really are in danger!

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And what have you given us in return ???????
Saturday night Reality Tv shows.
Bruce Springsteen
And
Bloody McDonalds
Ungrateful Ba$tards
I admit it isn't even a fair trade if you just consider Dr. Who, Monty Python, The Who and Burger King (that one may only count as ownership).

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your president of your local Optimist Club, aren't you?
Procrastinators Club. I think. I keep forgetting to submit a membership.

On occassion I am not very optimistic about my optimism. Some days the best I can do is be a glass half empty optimist.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
What you will never understand is just because you do not believe honor killing is evil that makes it science instead of supernatural activity.
I'm glad we haven't started teaching honor killing in our public schools. Left to people like you, our kids really are in danger!
I am not an aficinado, but I am pretty sure you aren't supposed to smoke the whole bag in one setting. You may want to slow down a bit.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are trying to pick and choose what you want to believe. In the universe in which we live (the presumably god created) has the capacity for life-ing and evolution. Every material thing (including energy) formed as a result of the Big Bang.
An activist God is not necessary to explain anything after that point (at the latest).
How about explaining what led up to the Big Bang. And, if you never wondered WHY the Big Bang happened, what difference does it make how it happened?

At least we believe God has existed "from everlasting to everlasting."
And that God had an intelligent plan and purpose in creation.

It takes as much faith to believe in a Big Bang as it does to believe in the Garden of Eden.

Big Bang? Poof! Abrakadabra ! Bippity Boppity Boo!
The universe has the capacity for "life-ing." And you think believers in God are ignorant and living in la la land?
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that all of the creationists we have left are of pretty poor quality.
I haven't noticed them even attempting a scientific argument for what seems forever right now.
Why would we use scientific arguments as evidence for a supernatural God?
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming facts not in evidence (God exists).
Start by defining God. Then, present the evidence that demonstrates God's existence. Please make sure to avoid resorting to logical fallacies, such as the ever popular argument from ignorance. Thanks in advance.
God does not exist, but you do. Now that is a frightening thought.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we use scientific arguments as evidence for a supernatural God?
You can't, but ever heard of Intelligent Design. Not really using scientific arguments so much as disguising itself as science.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>It may take me several attempts at reading and rereading this post, but I assume there is an answer in there somewhere.
Ancient earth? Why not?
Life on ancient earth? Maybe
You and I evolved from the life that may have existed on ancient earth? I don't think so!
God created man from the dust of the earth? That is what the Bible says and I choose to believe.
God created man with a spiritual connection to Himself that no other animal or ancient life form had.
He did not ake understanding where we came from and why we were created difficult to understand.
If God had given us all the answers, scientists would have had nothing to do. And we would all be " know it alls " with nothing to debate about or any reason to discuss anything with anyone. Boring!

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Ancient earth? Why not?
Life on ancient earth? Maybe
You and I evolved from the life that may have existed on ancient earth? I don't think so!
God created man from the dust of the earth? That is what the Bible says and I choose to believe.
God created man with a spiritual connection to Himself that no other animal or ancient life form had.
He did not ake understanding where we came from and why we were created difficult to understand.
If God had given us all the answers, scientists would have had nothing to do. And we would all be " know it alls " with nothing to debate about or any reason to discuss anything with anyone. Boring!
Your stoned right now aren't you.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You can't, but ever heard of Intelligent Design. Not really using scientific arguments so much as disguising itself as science.
Yeah, I never did feel comfortable using that term. My intelligent designer is Jehovah God/ Jesus. I'm sure that iis not what everyone who uses the term is referring to.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Your stoned right now aren't you.
Nope, just sleepy! Spent much of the day with a friend who has stage four cancer. We talked a little bit about God and a little bit about Heaven. It was a good day!

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I never did feel comfortable using that term. My intelligent designer is Jehovah God/ Jesus. I'm sure that iis not what everyone who uses the term is referring to.
And that is one of the reasons we know that life evolved. There are all sorts of "unintelligent design" in living beings. Since evolution works on "good enough" there are many body features that could have been better. For example there are aspects of the squid's eyes that are much better than ours. Yet our eyes work "good enough" even though we followed a different route to vision than they did.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

If we had a squid's eye we would probably only need one. Then we would look like Cyclops. God knows what He is doing.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Meant no disrespect. I tend to get a little goofier than usual when tired.
PEACE

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Believer wrote:
Meant no disrespect. I tend to get a little goofier than usual when tired.
PEACE
You must be tired a lot.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Believer wrote:
If we had a squid's eye we would probably only need one. Then we would look like Cyclops. God knows what He is doing.
Perhaps it would help if you told us what you believe and we could tell you whether that has been debunked or not.

For example here is a short list of scientific errors in the Bible listed in order of their being debunked:

The Earth is not flat.

The Earth is not the center of the universe.

There was no global flood, nor even an appreciable local one.

There was no Adam and Eve.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
How about explaining what led up to the Big Bang. And, if you never wondered WHY the Big Bang happened, what difference does it make how it happened?
At least we believe God has existed "from everlasting to everlasting."
And that God had an intelligent plan and purpose in creation.
It takes as much faith to believe in a Big Bang as it does to believe in the Garden of Eden.
Big Bang? Poof! Abrakadabra ! Bippity Boppity Boo!
The universe has the capacity for "life-ing." And you think believers in God are ignorant and living in la la land?
Scientists are usually honest and are not afraid to admit when they don't know something. Right now we don't know what happened before the Big Bang. We don't even know if there was a "before the Big Bang".

By the way, if you believe that God is everlasting then why can't the universe be ever lasting? It may "Bang" every now and then but there is no reason to say that the whole thing was ever created.

f you claim that "something must have made the universe" then we can claim "something must have created your god."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 138,961 - 138,980 of171,380
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

28 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 min KAB 134,032
Big Bang? 23 min Morrat 133
Modern YEC is Not An Aberration of Traditional ... 37 min Gillette 116
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 39 min wondering 117
Chicken or the egg. Lets settle this 1 hr TurkanaBoy 49
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 1 hr Zog Has-fallen 35
Skull Valley lawmaker wants both sides of clima... (Feb '13) 3 hr SpaceBlues 1,638
•••
•••