Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#142625 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
How about explaining what led up to the Big Bang. And, if you never wondered WHY the Big Bang happened, what difference does it make how it happened?

Sorry that science is so disappointing. In the last 100 years science has only uncovered and explained the last 13+ billion years. Science is such a failure.

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
At least we believe God has existed "from everlasting to everlasting. And that God had an intelligent plan and purpose in creation."

Belief is not science. What is believe is not necessarily fact.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes as much faith to believe in a Big Bang as it does to believe in the Garden of Eden.

The 'Big Bang' is a theory that was developed out of the observable evidence and has been used to make thousands of predictions. That is how science works and is validated. Scientific theories neither need nor require faith. They are either supported or not by the evidence.

There is no evidence for a Garden of Eden and a lot of evidence to suggest that it is the result of metaphorical writing. The story contains many spiritual ideas and moral teachings that disappear with a literal reading.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text> Big Bang? Poof! Abrakadabra ! Bippity Boppity Boo!

You're silly.
Believer wrote:
<quoted text> The universe has the capacity for "life-ing." And you think believers in God are ignorant and living in la la land?

That is based on the evidence:

1. The universe appears to exist.
2. The universe now appears to contain life.
3. At one time the universe did not contain life.

Hence the universe is "life-ing"*

Again, I happen to believe in Elohim (Yahweh), but my god has no issues with science nor does he require that I have any.

*term coined by Alan Watts

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142626 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we use scientific arguments as evidence for a supernatural God?

We wouldn't. But we should use science to debate science. That is to say we should use empirical/scientific evidence to support or refute scientific theories.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142627 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Ancient earth? Why not?
Life on ancient earth? Maybe
You and I evolved from the life that may have existed on ancient earth? I don't think so!
God created man from the dust of the earth? That is what the Bible says and I choose to believe.
God created man with a spiritual connection to Himself that no other animal or ancient life form had.
He did not ake understanding where we came from and why we were created difficult to understand.
If God had given us all the answers, scientists would have had nothing to do. And we would all be " know it alls " with nothing to debate about or any reason to discuss anything with anyone. Boring!

You seem to be big on assertions, opinions and conjecture. What your posts lack is tying any of that to evidence. Your ideas are not even Biblically supported (presuming "dust of the earth" is a metaphor for the same elements the earth is made of).

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142628 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I never did feel comfortable using that term. My intelligent designer is Jehovah God/ Jesus. I'm sure that iis not what everyone who uses the term is referring to.

I have asked you before what a "jehovah" is,(other than an 11th century translation error).

Why do your believe in this jehovah instead of the Elohim, Yahweh?

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142629 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, just sleepy! Spent much of the day with a friend who has stage four cancer. We talked a little bit about God and a little bit about Heaven. It was a good day!

How can you "talk about God"? How can you talk about heaven? the first is not possible and for the second you would have to make things up since we no nothing about heaven (assuming it exists).

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142630 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
If we had a squid's eye we would probably only need one. Then we would look like Cyclops. God knows what He is doing.

Yes, he leaves his machine 'evolution' running 24/7

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#142631 Jul 17, 2013
one way or another wrote:
Science demands.proof, otherwise, no one would fly on planes or go out into the oceans in ships.
Only morons believe anything they're told.
No moron.

Science requires evidence. Nothing in science is ever absolutely proved.

Even the laws of thermodynamics can be said to be contingent. If very strong evidence was ever found that at times they do not hold science would change for this new evidence.

It does get to the point where you would be foolish to disagree with a scientific finding. Disagreeing with evolution would be an example of that.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142632 Jul 17, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
What physical evidence of the big bang do you have other than some scientists saying we think it happened that way?

I am often surprised at how scientifically illiterate many people are.

You might enjoy reading a history of science. Any book on this topic would certainly explain the trail of evidence leading to the Big Bang theory of the universe and its acceptance in the scientific community.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142633 Jul 17, 2013
sanjana aka rockstar wrote:
its all about nature.....it was 20million years ago,if 1 believe in this then yes there was something that led to big bang but still nobody knows the actual answer for "why" all this happened.....

It involves invisible purple ping-pong balls.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142634 Jul 17, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Havent the Kardashians made Shakespeare irrelevant?

Reading that hurt my eyes.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142635 Jul 17, 2013
The evo children claim red shift, even as blue shift stares them in the face. Silly children, science has been usurped by idiots, that don't care what or who they destroy, in the name of power. Red shift is BS that cannot be proven, just as CMB.
Idiots believe anything, because they have nothing of their own. Ya can't talk an idiot out of their stupidity.

10 Print: "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"
20 Goto 10

run

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142636 Jul 17, 2013
By the way, concrete has always used lime, but the morons don't know that, according to their claims and the so called scientists studying concrete made the claim that salt water has somehow helped to make the Roman concrete last. So long. That claim is made out of ignorance.
There is not one bit of proof to back that claim.

It's called 'chemistry'.

Look it up some time.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142637 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no scientific proof that anything spiritual exists. Spiritual Truth is not dependent on Scientific Proof.

I don't like the term 'Spiritual Truth'. Spiritual knowledge works better.'Truth' has a absolute quality to it. But knowledge does not seem absolute.

Get my drift?

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#142638 Jul 17, 2013
Science demands.proof, otherwise, no one would fly on planes or go out into the oceans in ships.

Only delusional morons believe every thought that goes through their head.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#142640 Jul 17, 2013
Rinnua wrote:
Wait wait wait... If God is all knowing, how did he not know Eve ate the apple?
He forgot. Alzheimer's perhaps. He is quite old.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#142641 Jul 17, 2013
Rinnua wrote:
Or stop 9/11? Or Newtown? He knew those would happen then, and did nothing? I thought he was our savior?
God works in mysterious ways.

Even he isn't quite sure what he's doing.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#142642 Jul 17, 2013
Science demands EVIDENCE!!!

Only morons are incapable of learning anything. That would be you, Bozo.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#142644 Jul 17, 2013
Is there scientific proof that if you don't ear ordrink, that you will die? Why yes, there is scientific proof thatif you don't eat or drink, you will die.
But the morons in evolution. Say there is no proof. Of course they are are idiots.
No, there is no scientific evidence.

Only complete morons keep using the wrong terminology after they have been corrected.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#142645 Jul 17, 2013
Arrgh.

That was supposed to say:

"No, there is scientific evidence."

Damn the lack of an edit function here.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#142647 Jul 17, 2013
So the morons should quit eating and drinking and show there is no proof they will die. Hahahahahahahaha
And the idiot cannot think logically.

So what else is new?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 6 hr Frindly 3,205
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 hr Regolith Based Li... 223,191
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 9 hr marksman11 164,919
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 hr Dogen 83,810
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) Sun Al Caplan 1,995
Time Dec 9 THANKS 2
Evolution exposed Dec 8 Dogen 6
More from around the web