Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178695 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“live life to d fullest...<3 ”

Level 1

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#142536 Jul 17, 2013
its all about nature.....it was 20million years ago,if 1 believe in this then yes there was something that led to big bang but still nobody knows the actual answer for "why" all this happened.....
Mugwump

London, UK

#142537 Jul 17, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I admit it isn't even a fair trade if you just consider Dr. Who, Monty Python, The Who and Burger King (that one may only count as ownership).
Typical Yank - no mention of:-

Shakespeare , Chaucer , Wordsworth , Holst etc

Just some sci fi, comedians with a perchant for wearing dresses, a rock band and BURGERS

:-)

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#142538 Jul 17, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Just some sci fi, comedians with a perchant for wearing dresses, a rock band and BURGERS
Havent the Kardashians made Shakespeare irrelevant?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#142539 Jul 17, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
and Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass....

Level 6

Location hidden

#142540 Jul 17, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
What physical evidence of the big bang do you have other than some scientists saying we think it happened that way?
I recall answering this particular question to you several times already. Here we go again. Nobody even considered the BB until Hubble discovered the red shift and proposed it as an explanation even so it was not taken seriously until 40 years later when a prediction of the hypothesis was fulfilled, the cosmic background microwave radiation. Now there were two phenomena found in nature that the BB could explain one of which it had predicted. THEN scientists took it seriously.

If you can find a better explanation for these and other phenomena since discovered, go ahead. Otherwise we will stick with what the scientists say thanks, as the best explanation consistent with the facts. Your tone suggests that you think scientists just make some shxt up and ask everyone to believe it. That is not how science works.

Level 6

Location hidden

#142541 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I never did feel comfortable using that term. My intelligent designer is Jehovah God/ Jesus. I'm sure that iis not what everyone who uses the term is referring to.
Pretty much all of them are. At least you are honest about it.

Level 6

Location hidden

#142542 Jul 17, 2013
REPLAYTIME

Do me a favour will you? Acknowledge my previous post above about why scientists claim there was a big bang. Acknowledge that they do so with reasons based on evidence. Not asking you to agree, just to show you have some inkling of how they develop and accept the ideas that are viewed as scientifically valid.

I just get bored with creationists repeating the same claims without acknowledging that they have been answered. Call it my personal SETI project, the search for intelligent life amongst those as contemptuous of science as you appear to be.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#142543 Jul 17, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall answering this particular question to you several times already. Here we go again. Nobody even considered the BB until Hubble discovered the red shift and proposed it as an explanation even so it was not taken seriously until 40 years later when a prediction of the hypothesis was fulfilled, the cosmic background microwave radiation. Now there were two phenomena found in nature that the BB could explain one of which it had predicted. THEN scientists took it seriously.
If you can find a better explanation for these and other phenomena since discovered, go ahead. Otherwise we will stick with what the scientists say thanks, as the best explanation consistent with the facts. Your tone suggests that you think scientists just make some shxt up and ask everyone to believe it. That is not how science works.
I just want to point out that redshift, is a separate line of evidence from the Hubble constant. So there are 3 major evidences
here supporting the BBT.

Level 6

Location hidden

#142544 Jul 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want to point out that redshift, is a separate line of evidence from the Hubble constant. So there are 3 major evidences
here supporting the BBT.
You sure? Isnt hubbles constant derived from observations of the degree of red shift depending on an object's distance from our galaxy? Thst would mske it derived rather than a third line of evidence

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142545 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
In God We Trust must have meant something very significant to the founders of our Country.
To compare trusting God to honor killing is a poor argument for the point you are trying to make.
Last time I looked our founding documents don't say anything about honor killing.
If you believe in honor killing, why don't you move to a place that practices it.
The first appearance of "In God we trust" apparently was in the "Stars Spangled Banner", 1814. It wasn't until 1956 that it was adopted as the official motto of the US by Congress and signed into law by President Eisenhower.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142546 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
What you will never understand is just because you do not believe honor killing is evil that makes it science instead of supernatural activity.
I'm glad we haven't started teaching honor killing in our public schools. Left to people like you, our kids really are in danger!
Let the twisting of words begin.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142547 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
How about explaining what led up to the Big Bang. And, if you never wondered WHY the Big Bang happened, what difference does it make how it happened?
At least we believe God has existed "from everlasting to everlasting."
And that God had an intelligent plan and purpose in creation.
It takes as much faith to believe in a Big Bang as it does to believe in the Garden of Eden.
Big Bang? Poof! Abrakadabra ! Bippity Boppity Boo!
The universe has the capacity for "life-ing." And you think believers in God are ignorant and living in la la land?
There is evidence for the Big Bang. There is none for the Garden of Eden. Big difference.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142548 Jul 17, 2013
Believer wrote:
If we had a squid's eye we would probably only need one. Then we would look like Cyclops. God knows what He is doing.
Really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin-type_i...

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142549 Jul 17, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
What physical evidence of the big bang do you have other than some scientists saying we think it happened that way?
Expansion of the universe and the cosmic microwave background. Both observable.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142550 Jul 17, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You must be tired a lot.
Old!
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142551 Jul 17, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
The first appearance of "In God we trust" apparently was in the "Stars Spangled Banner", 1814. It wasn't until 1956 that it was adopted as the official motto of the US by Congress and signed into law by President Eisenhower.
Must I look up the references to God that were made by our founding fathers?
Don't you people ever lighten up a little?
If making fun of me gets you guys to smile or laugh, I just consider that my good deed for the day.
BTW, I love the smiley faces ( and all the other goofy faces)! Wish they were available to us here. ;o )
(Like fingernails on a chalkboard to many of you stuffy scientists?)
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142552 Jul 17, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Let the twisting of words begin.
Many of you are good teachers. Aggravating isn't it?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#142553 Jul 17, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
The motion of galaxies and the cosmic background radiation are two huge pieces of evidence for the Big Bang.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142554 Jul 17, 2013
I know you guys wish I would just hop on over to the religion forums. This is so much more fun. Those religious people can be rude!
And, I think I already know most of them ( how they think). Even though I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff, and I do get my feelings hurt from time to time, you guys are a breath of fresh air!
If you need my advice or have any questions for me, I'm here for you. I'm usually napping from 2 to 4, dinner at 6:30, Jeopardy at 7:30, lights out by midnight.
Chill!

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#142555 Jul 17, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
It was under Eisenhower that "under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance. These things had religious origins and support but gained acceptance in the government as a part of the Cold War. We didn't want to look like the "Godless communists."

Believer will probably be surprised that these were not instituted by the founders of this nation. True believers never need to look for the facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Krypteia 173,594
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Chimney1 143,914
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) 17 hr Chilli J 13
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) Sun Chimney1 583
News Intelligent design Sun Paul Porter1 22
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory Sun Paul Porter1 421
Darwinism: Science or Philosophy? Sun Paul Porter1 56
More from around the web