Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180279 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142499 Jul 16, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe we can spare Ted Haggard. That should be good enough!
I'll throw in Jerry Falwell as well.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#142500 Jul 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What the frig are you talking about? Evolution is an observable fact. Human evolution has been charted through 5 million years and at least 25 prehuman and human species. Genetically we are closely related to Bonobos and Chimps.
This is the science. Where do you get the nonsensical idea that there is not mountains of scientific evidence for evolution?
It seems that all of the creationists we have left are of pretty poor quality.

I haven't noticed them even attempting a scientific argument for what seems forever right now.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#142501 Jul 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you expect from a cut and paste moron who has nothing sane to add.
I guess it isn't about me is it. Shucks.
HI O

Akron, OH

#142502 Jul 16, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Give US liberty! ROCK ON! September opening

Level 9

#142503 Jul 16, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And how come I am not further up the list , I'm bloody not even American !!!!
Seriously don't think he has thought this through.
That pretty much covers most everything he has posted.

If no one else has said it, Welcome to America :)

This marks the first time in over 30 years of using a computer that I have included a smiley face to my recollection. It is not evidence of a global flood.

Level 9

#142504 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a lot to take in. In my view of an ancient earth ( which I do believe existed), the Bible's explanation of the creation of mankind (in the image of God), without explanation for the origin of the maggot, the fly, the worm, the spider, etc. I understand the enormous amount of information about the universe that scientists would want to explain in the only way man has to explain what God did not give us some information about.
God gave us what even the small child can understand to be able to understand His omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence.
Through the intelligence God has given the man He created in His own image (having body, mind, and spirit), science has given us miracles of science, that came ultimately from the God who created all the places scientists go for evidence and discovery.
It may take me several attempts at reading and rereading this post, but I assume there is an answer in there somewhere.
HI O

Akron, OH

#142505 Jul 16, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
The new Liberty building has the FREE BIRD eagle!
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#142506 Jul 16, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! Look on the bright side. We haven't shipped Pat Robertson off to you.
Yet.
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe we can spare Ted Haggard. That should be good enough!
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you Pat, Ted and Jerry (is it me or does that sound like a sitcom)

And raise you a David Icke

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#142507 Jul 16, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Tinka could translate for us.

Ah, Tinka. Now there was a being (human?) that marched to the knife of a different bird.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142508 Jul 16, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And what have you given us in return ???????
Saturday night Reality Tv shows.
Bruce Springsteen
And
Bloody McDonalds
Ungrateful Ba$tards

Sorry about Springsteen.

'Reality TV' is just an oxymoron.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142509 Jul 16, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>It may take me several attempts at reading and rereading this post, but I assume there is an answer in there somewhere.

Your president of your local Optimist Club, aren't you?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142510 Jul 16, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't noticed them even attempting a scientific argument for what seems forever right now.

Yeah. Almost makes me appreciate KAB in the other forum.

LOL. That cracked me up typing that!

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#142511 Jul 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, Tinka. Now there was a being (human?) that marched to the knife of a different bird.
Stone bird killing two timers?
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142512 Jul 16, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like, "In God we Trust!"???
In God We Trust must have meant something very significant to the founders of our Country.
To compare trusting God to honor killing is a poor argument for the point you are trying to make.
Last time I looked our founding documents don't say anything about honor killing.
If you believe in honor killing, why don't you move to a place that practices it.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142513 Jul 16, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter. That's what they call it. Is such an act evil?
<quoted text>
You're mistaking the map for the place. The name is not the thing. I don't care what you think of the name, I just care whether you say such an act is evil or not. Every time you avoid answering the question, you demonstrate that you know your argument fails.
<quoted text>
Again, the name is irrelevant. The name is not the act. Is the act itself (not the name or the nature of the name or the possible connotations of the words used to compose the name) evil? Answer the question.
What you will never understand is just because you do not believe honor killing is evil that makes it science instead of supernatural activity.
I'm glad we haven't started teaching honor killing in our public schools. Left to people like you, our kids really are in danger!

Level 9

#142514 Jul 16, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And what have you given us in return ???????
Saturday night Reality Tv shows.
Bruce Springsteen
And
Bloody McDonalds
Ungrateful Ba$tards
I admit it isn't even a fair trade if you just consider Dr. Who, Monty Python, The Who and Burger King (that one may only count as ownership).

Level 9

#142515 Jul 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your president of your local Optimist Club, aren't you?
Procrastinators Club. I think. I keep forgetting to submit a membership.

On occassion I am not very optimistic about my optimism. Some days the best I can do is be a glass half empty optimist.

Level 9

#142516 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
What you will never understand is just because you do not believe honor killing is evil that makes it science instead of supernatural activity.
I'm glad we haven't started teaching honor killing in our public schools. Left to people like you, our kids really are in danger!
I am not an aficinado, but I am pretty sure you aren't supposed to smoke the whole bag in one setting. You may want to slow down a bit.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142517 Jul 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are trying to pick and choose what you want to believe. In the universe in which we live (the presumably god created) has the capacity for life-ing and evolution. Every material thing (including energy) formed as a result of the Big Bang.
An activist God is not necessary to explain anything after that point (at the latest).
How about explaining what led up to the Big Bang. And, if you never wondered WHY the Big Bang happened, what difference does it make how it happened?

At least we believe God has existed "from everlasting to everlasting."
And that God had an intelligent plan and purpose in creation.

It takes as much faith to believe in a Big Bang as it does to believe in the Garden of Eden.

Big Bang? Poof! Abrakadabra ! Bippity Boppity Boo!
The universe has the capacity for "life-ing." And you think believers in God are ignorant and living in la la land?
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142518 Jul 16, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we use scientific arguments as evidence for a supernatural God?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 6 min replaytime 2,033
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 41 min Nohweh 27,376
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 43 min messianic114 219,618
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Subduction Zone 58,355
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 8 hr Subduction Zone 159,361
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Thu Sentinel 1,758
News Intelligent Design Education Day Feb 19 replaytime 2
More from around the web