Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179628 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“No such thing as ABIODARWINISM”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

No ABIODARWINISTS either!

#142434 Jul 15, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Would reply to that but am currently have my screwdriver out as I am re-wiring a nuclear reactor.
Does this reactor use a siphon with a large tank to collect cooling water and dump it all at once?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#142435 Jul 15, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Have I always been in seventh place?
At least YOU were included.....<sniff>

Level 9

#142436 Jul 15, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
At least YOU were included.....<sniff>
It isn't for lack of intelligent argument and evidence offered to Jim. It could be that thick carpet of primate fur reminds him of work.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142437 Jul 15, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're a "works matter" Christian. Who are you to say the "works don't matter" Christians are wrong?
Tell you what: you get some consensus about this critical component of Christianity, and as soon as you do, we'll get into that. I ain't gonna hold my breath.
If there were a righteous and Just God, and if there were a place of reward and punishment for how we live our lives, don't you think there would be differing degrees of reward and different degrees of punishment?
I know you don't believe in a Heaven or Hell, which probably means you won't have an answer.

Level 9

#142438 Jul 15, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
If there were a righteous and Just God, and if there were a place of reward and punishment for how we live our lives, don't you think there would be differing degrees of reward and different degrees of punishment?
I know you don't believe in a Heaven or Hell, which probably means you won't have an answer.
Are people that accept the theory of evolution all atheists? Put another way, do you think people that believe in God can accept science and the theory of evolution?
Mugwump

UK

#142439 Jul 15, 2013
One way or another wrote:
The anti-American group of
mike F,
Lowell guy,
chimney,
aura mytha,
subduction zone,
dogen,
Dan from smithville,
the dude,
mugwump
They have never offered anything of value or new. They simply use the copy and paste their schools taught, because schools don't teach anything else, as all will know.
Its plenty ok to copy and paste, but as an entire group offers nothing of value, they can't possibly judge if anything has merit, if its new or different , while they rely on the poor, flat earth thinking, promoted as law, when that proof does not exist, but like everything else for them, they hate what they cannot know and refuse to care or learn.
Lets look at contributions shall we?

Jimbo : original (but wrong) ideas
Everyone else : the reasons why you are wrong

Now admittedly, it's not a huge effort to show your ideas to be incorrect - but think we win on the reality/not batshit insane contributions , don't you?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#142440 Jul 16, 2013
Hey Jimbo you insane ass. Have you noticed how even your creationist allies have abandoned you?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#142441 Jul 16, 2013
HI O wrote:
<quoted text>Increase the pipe size every few thousand feet and it will reduce friction.
As I'm a little tardy to this party, I'm sure someone has already chimed in to tell you why that doesn't solve anything.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142442 Jul 16, 2013
One way or another wrote:
The anti-American group of
mike F,
Lowell guy,
chimney,
aura mytha,
subduction zone,
dogen,
Dan from smithville,
the dude,
mugwump
They have never offered anything of value or new. They simply use the copy and paste their schools taught, because schools don't teach anything else, as all will know.
Its plenty ok to copy and paste, but as an entire group offers nothing of value, they can't possibly judge if anything has merit, if its new or different , while they rely on the poor, flat earth thinking, promoted as law, when that proof does not exist, but like everything else for them, they hate what they cannot know and refuse to care or learn.
"...they hate what they cannot know and refuse to care or learn."

Sounds like a perfect description of Jim "Bozo" Ryan.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142443 Jul 16, 2013
replaytime wrote:
I know what I think/believe but lets hear what you all think.
Do you think God created the world and life and since then we have been evolving?
Or do you think it all started from the big bang and all of life evolved from a single cell and we have been evolving since?
Assuming facts not in evidence (God exists).

Start by defining God. Then, present the evidence that demonstrates God's existence. Please make sure to avoid resorting to logical fallacies, such as the ever popular argument from ignorance. Thanks in advance.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142444 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Conversing with you is like conversing with an obnoxious three-year old child. Grow up and then we will talk.
Coward.

You know that there is an act known as honor killing.

You know that this act occurs.

You refuse to say if such an act is evil.

Or, do you not know that there is such an act and that they occur? Is that the case? Are you just that ignorant? Here, let me make sure you're up to speed with the rest of the class: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing

Now, is honor killing evil?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142445 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Other Christians say God IS just and righteous, and everything he declares just and righteous IS just and righteous by definition, so those Christians say that a lifelong child rapist would be accepted into Heaven if he repented on his deathbed and accepted Jesus Christ as his lord and savior. Why is YOUR version of God correct and THEIR version of God incorrect? Be sure to show your work, rather than just relying on your own personal preferences. Thanks in advance for a whole lot of nothing.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142446 Jul 16, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
What do I suggest? That is simple. Have the teachers actually teach instead of getting what they pass out off the internet. They don't teach anymore. They pull test off the internet and copy them to pas out. They write crap on the board and tell the students to study it because there will be a test on Thursday. Then it is all graded in class and curves are given for the ones that don't change their answers as they grade their own papers.
Is that what YOU did? Or, were you one of the lazy teachers you describe? Were you part of the solution or part of the problem?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142447 Jul 16, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me wrong. Education is a good thing but it used to be done better. Woodwork/Shop teacher/football coach. When I was told I needed to look the other way and pass the jocks and make grade curves to fit the class,,, That was the straw that broke the camels back and I had enough. I mean really how hard is shop class?
Wait...Coach Lubbock is trying to school us on science?

http://youtu.be/fVn0kLTu-no
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142448 Jul 16, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Are people that accept the theory of evolution all atheists? Put another way, do you think people that believe in God can accept science and the theory of evolution?
Of course I have no reason or right not to accept that someone believes in God or believes that there may be a God.
I accept the theory of evolution and that God is the intelligence behind it. I don't accept that man evolved from the lowest form of life to what we are now by any means. Whether you take the Genesis story literally or whether you think God allowed it to be an illustration of something that would otherwise be too complex for the human mind to understand (like if God is love, how and why does evil exist and the story of Eve talking to a serpent), I find it hard to believe one could take such an angry and self- righteous approach to the Bible (as some here do) and believe in the God of the Bible.
One way or another

United States

#142449 Jul 16, 2013
How pyramids built

New science by Jim Ryan 5/31/2013 on Topix

The pyramids were built from the inside out. The first course of block were laid, with the entrance lower than the first course of block. Then they built wooden tripods with ropes and pulleys, hoisting the block to the first level, where they were swung onto logs and rolled into place. Each section from there to the top should easily be understood.

As the smartest people say, leave no stone unturned!

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142450 Jul 16, 2013
replaytime wrote:
I know what I think/believe but lets hear what you all think.
Do you think God created the world and life and since then we have been evolving?
Or do you think it all started from the big bang and all of life evolved from a single cell and we have been evolving since?
Why do you believe what you believe?
One way or another

United States

#142451 Jul 16, 2013
I know why some roman concrete has lasted for thousands of years, while other roman concrete failed.

The scientists claim not to know.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142452 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
I accept the theory of evolution...

I don't accept that man evolved from the lowest form of life...
You really need to make up your mind.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142453 Jul 16, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Other Christians say God IS just and righteous, and everything he declares just and righteous IS just and righteous by definition, so those Christians say that a lifelong child rapist would be accepted into Heaven if he repented on his deathbed and accepted Jesus Christ as his lord and savior. Why is YOUR version of God correct and THEIR version of God incorrect? Be sure to show your work, rather than just relying on your own personal preferences. Thanks in advance for a whole lot of nothing.
You are either very narrow minded or have a problem with understanding how some of us use the English language to express thought or make a point.
Of course I believe Jehovah God/ YahWeh is JUST and RIGHTEOUS and HOLY "by definition." For you to imply that my comment meant otherwise is dishonest and childish. I phrased the question as I did because I was trying to avoid your annoying habit of using your self-righteous attitude to make the question irrelevant because YOU don't believe it is relevant (since it refers to something you probably don't believe exists (Heaven and Hell).
We see only a tiny brush stroke in a huge picture. What we do see, however, is the underlying message that will someday make the total picture make sense to us.
What we see without seeing the whole picture, we must accept by Faith in the God who is the Creator and understands and will ultimately take control of all things in Heaven and on Earth. In His time, not ours!
I do not answer your foolish questions in an attempt to convince you of anything. I do so knowing that you are going to ridicule and twist my words. You may have already passed the time when you would be able to understand the concept of a Loving, Holy Creator; or maybe you just continue in your pride and self-righteousness by choice.
Either way you are the one who chooses your destiny. If there is a Hell (whatever it may be) and if you do end up there, you will have no reason to doubt that it was 100% your choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 min macumazahn 11,181
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 26 min syamsu 195,136
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr ChromiuMan 150,527
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Chimney1 29,450
Science News (Sep '13) 14 hr Ricky F 3,573
kitchen Fitters In Manchester Area Wed lihatsaja1 1
Ribose can be produced in space Apr 26 MIDutch 2
More from around the web