Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,666

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#142351 Jul 15, 2013
Dvls Advct wrote:
Not as fact.
But, it IS a fact. Why would we not teach it as a fact?

Spherical Earth: fact or not?

Mass determines gravity: fact or not?

Speed of light: fact or not?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142352 Jul 15, 2013
LGs Twin Bro wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not believe the New Testament is the best documentation of what the early Christians knew and understood?
I believe that to be a Christian, one must believe everything the Bible teaches us about Jesus Christ. Who He is, what He did, and why He came.
God did not make salvation difficult. He made it very simple! All the questions we have will be answered for us someday. In the meantime what is important is what we do with what we know. He sees our "heart " (motives).
What about the apocryphal texts? Do those also represent what the early Christians "knew and understood?" Why single out the New Testament?

By the way, should we care about what Paul says, when he never even met the guy? Sure, he SAYS he met the ghost of Jesus, but anybody could make the same claim. Besides, since the stories were written down decades after the death of Jesus, by people who most likely weren't even witnesses of Jesus, why do you think those are going to be accurate portrayals of Jesus? If the first documentation of George Washington came in 1850, how accurate do you think that would be? Hell, we've already got the cherry tree thing, and that's WITH the knowledge that it never occurred. What kind of embellishment do you think would have gone on with a charismatic leader in a time and place when embellishment was not only common, but expected?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142353 Jul 15, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
That young lady is every bit as important to God as you or I or anyone else. The Bible teaches us that God is a just God. To whom much is given, much is required.
Life is short compared to eternity. How we treat others who are less fortunate than ourselves is one of the determining factors in how we spend eternity.
So, you're a "works matter" Christian. Who are you to say the "works don't matter" Christians are wrong?

Tell you what: you get some consensus about this critical component of Christianity, and as soon as you do, we'll get into that. I ain't gonna hold my breath.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142354 Jul 15, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get the idea that everyone is equally important to God?
That idea is not Biblical.
Jacob have I loved; Esau have I hated.

That doesn't sound like equal importance. Well, unless God is spending equal energy loving and hating.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142355 Jul 15, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
You will not be surprised that I was not familiar with Meister Eckhart. I did read his short biography on egs.edu .
I thought I saw a lot of wisdom in his writings, and could easily quote from some of his writings to support some of my own beliefs.
However, this is the best example of why Christians take the Bible as the absolute Word of the God we believe in. Doing so, however naive we may seem to some, gives us the foundation we use to determine Truth from heresy.
Although much of his philosophy agrees with the teachings of the Bible, there is enough contradiction to let me know that this was not a man whose teachings I could consider Truth.
A man claims to have met the spirit of Jesus, and says that Jesus told him to tell you to kill your neighbor. Should you do it?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142356 Jul 15, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Duh I'm too stupid to know that freezing the body will kill me, says the moron.
\

I suppose that why you must live in Florida, Jimmy.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142357 Jul 15, 2013
Laser light is what science used in the earth to moon and back to earth, retro reflector test, where in less than half a million miles, the laser light broke down into individual photons.
I offer proof.
The only thing you proven, Jimbozo, is what a total idiot you are and you complete inability to learn anything. A shame really. Many people here have tried to help you understand science but you're too busy defending your delusional views to care or even notice.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142358 Jul 15, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why is it the more pressure I put on the accelerator the faster I go and the more fuel I use?
It isn't rocket science.
I can roll the car down the hill without using any fuel at all, but the car is still moving, yes I know.
You have just proven that fuel consumption does not directly relate to speed. Congratulations. You've just refuted yourself.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142359 Jul 15, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I am the one created with the intelligence to drive the car.
One way or another

United States

#142360 Jul 15, 2013
Seeing galaxies right now

Science by Jim Ryan

Ya know how when you look into a telescope, you see everything that the telescope is focused in on, right away, there's no wait at all. However, science claims that it takes billions of light years for the light from those distant galaxies to get here. If the light takes so long to get here, how come when we look into the telescope, we see those galaxies as soon as we look in the eye piece?

Science claims that the light waves from one sun or star, are the same light waves as that of all stars and suns and that the same kinds of light waves, cancel each other out, or science claims, those light waves are deflected somewhere else, but science claims not to know where!

The light waves from the far away galaxies are blocked by the same waves of the stars closer to us. The far away light waves never reach us, which means, we see out to those galaxies.
All scientists must be idiots, to buy into today's flat earth thinking.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142361 Jul 15, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "the speedometer tells me how fast I am going. ". How fast I go is determined by me according to the pressure I put on the accelerator. Are you saying I've been doing wrong all these years? I also mentioned the revolution of the wheels, etc. I'm not a mechanic but I'm not stupid. You are a master at twisting words to change a subject. I doubt you are fooling anyone into thinking this makes you the one with all the right answers!
It is only the revolution of the wheels that determine your speed. The position of the accelerator had nothing *directly* to do with your speed.

Do you push down harder on the accelerator to maintain the same speed when going uphill and less when going downhill?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142362 Jul 15, 2013
Rinnua wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, you could be comedian!
Except he's not funny.
Rinnua wrote:
But really, when is the last time you've given anything important to the debate?
Sheeeet! We're still waiting for the first time!

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142363 Jul 15, 2013
LGs Twin Bro wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me rephrase my first question. I'd like to change " Do you NOT think " to "Do you think the New Testament is the best record" ask you to give me a simple yes or no. Sorry, my fault that I am confused I think.
No.
One way or another

United States

#142364 Jul 15, 2013
Revised!

Science by Jim Ryan

Ya know how when you look into a telescope, you see everything that the telescope is focused in on, right away, there's no wait at all. However, science claims that it takes billions of light years for the light from those distant galaxies to get here. If the light takes so long to get here, how come when we look into the telescope, we see those galaxies as soon as we look in the eye piece?

Lets just say that science is right about the light, even though science proves that is a lie, by other means.

Even if the light does get here from those galaxies, those galaxies can't send pictures on just light waves.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#142365 Jul 15, 2013
Revised!
Science by Jim Ryan
Lets just say that science is right about the light, even though science proves that is a lie, by other means.
Even if the light does get here from those galaxies, those galaxies can't send pictures on just light waves.
This special song goes out to Jim Ryan in Florida from all his friends on Topix.

Here's Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train.
One way or another

United States

#142366 Jul 15, 2013
Science creates gravitational lensing, not the stars!!!

Show us the logic of gravitational lensing, when science distorts the Hubble lense to enlarge subjects at great distances, which makes the subjects brighter, larger and distorted, while adding coronas, creating the so called, gravitational lensing effect, because no gravitational lensing shows up, unless the subjects are greatly enlarged and distorted,by the Hubble telescope or, if one star aligns behind another.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#142367 Jul 15, 2013
Science creates gravitational lensing, not the stars!!!
Show us the logic of gravitational lensing, when science distorts the Hubble lense to enlarge subjects at great distances, which makes the subjects brighter, larger and distorted, while adding coronas, creating the so called, gravitational lensing effect, because no gravitational lensing shows up, unless the subjects are greatly enlarged and distorted,by the Hubble telescope or, if one star aligns behind another.
I think what you consider to be science should be defined as the result of "delusional lensing."
One way or another

United States

#142368 Jul 15, 2013
New scientific definition by Jim Ryan

Evolution has usurped real and provable science

The definition of evolutionary science!

Science in the name of evolution, has become everything that cannot be proven.

Even children can write evolutionary science.

Can science prove the
Big Bang?---------NO
String theory----------NO
Radiocarbon dating-----NO
Isotope dating----------NO
Light theory----------NO
Relativity----------NO
Speed of light----------NO
Gravitational lensing----NO
Red shift supporting the Big Bang--NO
Evolution supports the grasp of anything unprovable.
Mugwump

UK

#142369 Jul 15, 2013
Science by Jim Ryan
Science claims that the light waves from one sun or star, are the same light waves as that of all stars and suns and that the same kinds of light waves, cancel each other out, or science claims, those light waves are deflected somewhere else, but science claims not to know where!
The light waves from the far away galaxies are blocked by the same waves of the stars closer to us. The far away light waves never reach us, which means, we see out to those galaxies.
All scientists must be idiots, to buy into today's flat earth thinking.
EVIDENCE
A) when you look thru telescope you are seeing light that started its journey long ago

B) if you were right, and we see out to stars (whatever that means) distant objects would come Ito view after nearer ones - I gave you an experiment to test this - but you are a coward

CONCLUSION

You are too much of a coward to actually address these issues so just spam the same nonsense

You are insane

Any rebuttals?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#142370 Jul 15, 2013
Revised!
Science by Jim Ryan
Because the light started out towards us billions of years ago. Duh.
No.
I've asked you this before and you ran away like a little girl and hid under your bed. If light can't carry pictures, explain how a movie theater works.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 4 hr Bluenose 500
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 hr Aura Mytha 116,598
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 5 hr Kong_ 62
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... 6 hr thewordofme 166
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 8 hr Dogen 137,093
New review critical of "Origins" 12 hr Kong_ 3
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 14 hr Cujo 10
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE