Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180376 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#142392 Jul 15, 2013
The teachers pet

By Jim Ryan

Schools could teach the basics of psychology starting in first grade, so the children understand human nature and how to deal with things in a much better manner, but the lesson of the teachers pet, proves that schools choose to teach ignorance, hate and fighting.

We see how no one accepts the challenge of the teachers pet and the utter stupidity it taught for over 200 years in school.

By doing such for 200 years, we can easily see the stupidity of the copy and paste school system, how it teaches your kids to hate and it teaches them to be stupid.

So the so called psychology professionals run away from the truth and discussion. Hahahahahahahaha, you morons, you wouldn't know psychology if it bit you.

Psychology of ignorance taught in school!

What are the things that teachers do, that teach ignorance and hatred?

College? Lol your teachers prove the stupidity you taught them. Higher education, what a joke.

Any psychologists here?
What a school system, aye!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142393 Jul 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
I know what I think/believe but lets hear what you all think.
Do you think God created the world and life and since then we have been evolving?
If you mean substantially as it is today (AKA Genesis) then no.
replaytime wrote:
Or do you think it all started from the big bang and all of life evolved from a single cell and we have been evolving since?
Yes.(Which does not exclude the possibility that it was God's method.)
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#142394 Jul 15, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do dullards resort to spam when they cannot argue their point?
It's not that he can't, he won't even attempt to defend his 'work'.

I suspect he knows deep down that his nonsense is just .. Well nonsense I guess, so he never responds to posts that show him wrong, I.e. like a good creationist he avoids peer review (though not too sure who would count as Jimbos peers - lichen perhaps?).

So ALL he has is spamtastic approach of posting, ignoring ,calling people morons, reposting , ignoring and so forth.

Have suggested that he simply collects all the links to his nonsense and posts them once a day in a single post, as it would serve the same purpose.

At least the likes of UC, Free Servant (and to a lesser extent) HTS - will argue their point - Jimbo is too much of a coward to do that.

Bit sad really
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#142395 Jul 15, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>

All relatives must be idiots.
The nephew of Jimbos mother's sister certainly is.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142396 Jul 15, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter if they're part of your faith. They're a thing that happens. Are honor killings evil?
Conversing with you is like conversing with an obnoxious three-year old child. Grow up and then we will talk.
One way or another

United States

#142397 Jul 15, 2013
Adaptation is not evolution, because evolution is one direction, while adaptation goes forwards and backwards, depending on environment and choices.

All life must adapt or die, that's why all life has the ability to adapt, depending on its own resources and abilities.

The morons in evolution claim adaptation as evolution, but the definition of adaptation says otherwise.

ad·ap·ta·tion
/&#716;adap&#712;t &#257;SH&#601;n/
Noun
The action or process of adapting or being adapted.
A movie, television drama, or stage play that has been adapted from a written work, typically a novel.

Science pretends to be too stupid to understand the difference between adaptation and evolution.

Evolution has usurped science and proof, for ignorance and hatred.

e·volve
/i&#712;välv/
Verb
Develop gradually, esp. from a simple to a more complex form.
(with reference to an organism or biological feature) Develop over successive generations, esp. as a result of natural selection.
Synonyms
develop - expand - unfold

There is no such thing as evolution.
One way or another

United States

#142398 Jul 15, 2013
There is no such thing as natural selection. Everything is selected, with a bias.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#142399 Jul 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
I know what I think/believe but lets hear what you all think.
Do you think God created the world and life and since then we have been evolving?
Or do you think it all started from the big bang and all of life evolved from a single cell and we have been evolving since?

Neither is particularly well stated and I disagree with both of them. However, on a forced choice test I would take 'B'.

Correct answer would be secret answer 'C'.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142400 Jul 15, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that he can't, he won't even attempt to defend his 'work'.
I suspect he knows deep down that his nonsense is just .. Well nonsense I guess, so he never responds to posts that show him wrong, I.e. like a good creationist he avoids peer review (though not too sure who would count as Jimbos peers - lichen perhaps?).
So ALL he has is spamtastic approach of posting, ignoring ,calling people morons, reposting , ignoring and so forth.
Have suggested that he simply collects all the links to his nonsense and posts them once a day in a single post, as it would serve the same purpose.
At least the likes of UC, Free Servant (and to a lesser extent) HTS - will argue their point - Jimbo is too much of a coward to do that.
Bit sad really

Yes, this is just angry acting out. Sort of a temper tantrum. Very sad.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142401 Jul 15, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
The nephew of Jimbos mother's sister certainly is.

No need to speak in code. He does not understand even when we speak in plain English.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142402 Jul 15, 2013
One way or another wrote:
There is no such thing as natural selection. Everything is selected, with a bias.

? That is like saying water is not wet but then defining water AS wet.

Weird.
One way or another

United States

#142403 Jul 15, 2013
Teach as moderators

Children need the chance to speak up and out. People as a whole do not like to have what they say challenged, especially teachers that believe teaching is more of a calling and according to the media, one of sacrifice for children, in so many cases.

The system pits the pride of the teachers against the children and the system.
If children are not allowed and encouraged to speak up and out, when will they have the chance? Do you think college professors will allow these young whippersnappers to challenge them and make them look ignorant or unknowing in their domain? How about the workplace, do you think the boss is going to give them voice?

Children need to have a voice or they lash out in many different ways or they go into their shell and just do as they are told, until they lash out or hurt themselves.

Children need moderators, not teachers!!!

Just ask yourself, did school teach you to think for yourself and if so, do tell us how they did it and what they did, because so far, not one person in the world can do so. Schools teach cubicle smarts, they can't and don't teach critical thinking, problem solving or how to think in general, even though they profess to do so. Lying seems to be their best lesson and they have many believers, but almost none that can prove such.
One way or another

United States

#142404 Jul 15, 2013
The above post I wrote, Jim Ryan

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142405 Jul 15, 2013
Teach as moderators
Children need the chance to speak up and out. People as a whole do not like to have what they say challenged, especially teachers that believe teaching is more of a calling and according to the media, one of sacrifice for children, in so many cases.
If children are not allowed and encouraged to speak up and out, when will they have the chance? Do you think college professors will allow these young whippersnappers to challenge them and make them look ignorant or unknowing in their domain? How about the workplace, do you think the boss is going to give them voice?
Children need to have a voice or they lash out in many different ways or they go into their shell and just do as they are told, until they lash out or hurt themselves.
Just ask yourself, did school teach you to think for yourself and if so, do tell us how they did it and what they did, because so far, not one person in the world can do so. Schools teach cubicle smarts, they can't and don't teach critical thinking, problem solving or how to think in general, even though they profess to do so. Lying seems to be their best lesson and they have many believers, but almost none that can prove such.
Translation: My teachers were constantly telling me to sit down and shut up because I wouldn't sit down or shut up.- Jim Ryan
One way or another

United States

#142406 Jul 15, 2013
The science of running by Jim Ryan.

Yes, I used to run 10 miles a day for about 2 years. For whatever reason, I started counting a cadence in my head, that matched the cadence of my footfalls and my breathing, which synced body and mind, helping me to get into a trance like state, allowing me to run mile after mile without stress and the last mile I could run almost flat out.
I know they teach different things today, but give my method a try, I think you'll like it. By the way, keep your eyes focused just in front of you, on the ground.
The cadence in running I used to use was, "one two three one", " one two three two", "one two three three", and keep going.
It's a 4 count breathing in and then a 4 count breathing out.
Happy running.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#142407 Jul 15, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither is particularly well stated and I disagree with both of them. However, on a forced choice test I would take 'B'.
Correct answer would be secret answer 'C'.
Well don't be shy. Do tell your choice "C".

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#142408 Jul 15, 2013
Teach as moderators
The thing is anymore school (elementary, middle and high school) is all just a cheap baby sitter for the parents and a steady job for the teachers.
One way or another

United States

#142409 Jul 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
The thing is anymore school (elementary, middle and high school) is all just a cheap baby sitter for the parents and a steady job for the teachers.
It does teach work hardening, hate, arrogance, name calling and gives children the basics, while it teaches them to keep their mouths shut and follow orders.
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#142410 Jul 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowing several teachers would suggest you try the job yourself.

And what do you suggest ?

Getting rid of education all together ?
Leaving it up to parents ?
Letting the kids learn it all from google?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#142411 Jul 15, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowing several teachers would suggest you try the job yourself.
And what do you suggest ?
Getting rid of education all together ?
Leaving it up to parents ?
Letting the kids learn it all from google?
Taught for 7 years. Have several family members(nieces and nephews) and friends that still teach. It is what it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr marksman11 163,061
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 hr Agents of Corruption 222,265
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,461
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 14 hr Science 1,412
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 hr Dogen 78,757
Mathematicians PROVED evolution IMPOSSIBLE! Aug 19 Science 814
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web