Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#142168 Jul 12, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Science by Jim Ryan

The cold of space saps the heat from the light energy, over distance.
You insist you have evidence for your claims .... So present evidence for this claim.

Or ask yourself why you can't

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#142169 Jul 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. We actually have very little control over what we believe. Beliefs are hard to change which is why it is important that we are taught the objective truth from an early age.
<quoted text>
Yes, and no.
<quoted text>
No.
Do you believe the sky is falling? Do you believe that evolution is true or God in the bible is true? Do you believe in creation or evolution? Do you believe there is oxygen in the air that you breath even though you can't see it? No matter what we are told or shown with evidence, we have the choice to believe it or not. A hardcore creationists can be shown everything evolution has to offer and still chose not to believe it,,, why is that? Easy! He has the power of choice same as anyone.
One way or another

United States

#142170 Jul 12, 2013
The Evo morons have not one bit of proof for speed of light and science proves speed of light is nonsense.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#142171 Jul 12, 2013
The Evo morons have not one bit of proof for speed of light and science proves speed of light is nonsense.
Speed of light is Fcking fast. I have not seen anything faster even though science claims that there are such things such as particles that travel faster and NASA has plans to go faster than the speed of light,,, yeah right. LOL

http://techland.time.com/2012/09/19/nasa-actu...

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#142172 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever seen Chris Angel do his wild magic or David Blaine do his wild magic? If you have even though you may not know how they do what they do,,, you still have the choice to either believe what they did is real or not. Now rational thinking people would choose WOW that is cool, awesome and wild but not real. While non-rational thinking people would say WOW that is cool, awesome and wild and think he must have sold his soul to the devil to pull that crap off. Again it is a choice.
Do you choose to go crap in the toilet or your pants? Do you choose to eat when you are hungry or starve? Do you choose to get up daily and live life or do you choose to lay around and just die sooner? We all have choices in anything we do.

None of that actually involves choosing beliefs. You make my point for me, partner.
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#142173 Jul 12, 2013
You missed my point (though noticed you are too cowardly to address it directly)
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
You insist you have evidence for your claims .... So present evidence for this claim.
Or ask yourself why you can't
This relates to YOUR claims

Fancy responding

Or

Asking yourself why you can't

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#142174 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe the sky is falling? Do you believe that evolution is true or God in the bible is true? Do you believe in creation or evolution? Do you believe there is oxygen in the air that you breath even though you can't see it? No matter what we are told or shown with evidence, we have the choice to believe it or not. A hardcore creationists can be shown everything evolution has to offer and still chose not to believe it,,, why is that? Easy! He has the power of choice same as anyone.
You are confusing emotion, logic, science and belief.

Belief is not information.

Once belief is formed is solidifies as in your example of the creationist. But even there they have not been shown everything evolution has to offer as that would take far more than a human lifetime.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#142175 Jul 12, 2013

I have not provided evidence that you are insane all day. Thank you for taking care of that for me.

There are science fair projects you can do that demonstrate c.

http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/scie...

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#142176 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Speed of light is Fcking fast. I have not seen anything faster even though science claims that there are such things such as particles that travel faster and NASA has plans to go faster than the speed of light,,, yeah right. LOL

This is nothing new. This concept has been around for awhile.

Your argument from incredulity is not impressive either.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#142177 Jul 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ever add anything new or of importance in your answers or is it that you can only add meaningless BS?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#142179 Jul 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Any ideas on a diagnosis for our newest troll?

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#142180 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ever add anything new or of importance in your answers or is it that you can only add meaningless BS?

Sorry I corrected you.

But what I stated is still correct.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#142181 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Particles aren't travelling faster than light. About the closest they can get to that is beaming information back and forth inside a laser beam, and when bounced back it can appear to travel faster than light, until it reaches the head of the beam (travelling at lightspeed) and cannot travel past it.

In the case of warp drive it's about bending space, so you can get to distant places quicker by effectively pulling the fabric of reality towards you. So again you are not travelling faster than light per-se, it's just the end result would look that way.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#142182 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, irony meter go boom.
One way or another

United States

#142185 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to the retroflectors test from the earth to the moon and back. Read it carefully and then consider how many miles it is from the earth to the moon and back,---just under half a million miles, before the laser light breaks all the way down to single photons, according to science. Then consider how laser light is said to be much stronger than sun light.

Then tell us your thoughts.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#142186 Jul 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Then simply show the test science does, to prove it.

Are whole way of life depends on our knowledge of the speed of light. The internet depends on it too.

You can ping different computers around the world and further ones take longer than closer ones.

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/waves_pa...

http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/scie...

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativ...

Can we consider this issue resolved now?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#142187 Jul 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Particles aren't travelling faster than light. About the closest they can get to that is beaming information back and forth inside a laser beam, and when bounced back it can appear to travel faster than light, until it reaches the head of the beam (travelling at lightspeed) and cannot travel past it.
In the case of warp drive it's about bending space, so you can get to distant places quicker by effectively pulling the fabric of reality towards you. So again you are not travelling faster than light per-se, it's just the end result would look that way.
Get caught up in science Dude.

Particles
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/nov/18...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/22...

On the NASA warp drive I agree

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#142188 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
LMMFAO!!! I said you would think every new person would be me and you are proving it true. You paranoid idiot!!! Man you sure are good for amusement! Too bad you are not good for anything else. LMFAO
Wrong, this tard sounds just like you.
He lies just like you.
Odds are that he is you.

Did you see where he dodge answer the question about what he believed just like you do. And then he lied about answering the question. I had answered his question but he was too lazy to go back. He Said his answer was by mine. It wasn't. I was not too lazy to go back and to check.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#142189 Jul 12, 2013
I don't care if you believe in God or evolution. Give tribute to the people in the military that sign that dotted line putting their life up to insure your right to set here daily to argue over such things as creation and evolution. Been a long but fun week.

One way or another

United States

#142190 Jul 12, 2013
Well...during the 1670's, the Danish astronomer
Ole roemer wanted to prove he was right and that Galileo was wrong, but he couldn't, until he studied IO, every single day of the year. In that way only, was he able to predict when IO would appear. That is not a speed of light test.

Only morons believe whatever they're told.

Ole Roemer was making extremely careful observations of Jupiter's moon Io. The black dot is Io's shadow. Io makes one complete orbit around Jupiter every 1.76 days; the time it takes to make each orbit is always the same, so Roemer expected that he could predict its motion quite precisely. To his astonishment, he discovered that the moon didn't always appear where it was supposed to be. At certain times of the year, it seemed to be slightly behind schedule; at other times, it was slightly ahead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 42 min Science 82,045
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Science 164,345
Why does Tennessee smell like Asphalt? Sun Djdjrjrjerj 1
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... Sun Science 2,206
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sat Science 33,086
Did humans come from Sturgeons? Oct 16 Science 1
Proof humans come from Tennessee Oct 16 Science 1
More from around the web