Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178694 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Rinnua

Redmond, WA

#141751 Jul 8, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Laugh all you want too. It just shows your ignorance on things you don't understand. You want the links?
no i think you missed the joke
Rinnua

Redmond, WA

#141752 Jul 8, 2013
wow subduction is the reigning king, congrats!

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#141753 Jul 9, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying percentages don't matter? WTF? You make no sense. Typical liberal thinker: """"It doesn't matter....""" ""
I was hoping I could actually find some logic in your thinking in a different subject but I guess not. I guess the strange way you rationalize evolution is going to carry over into everything else.
Yawn. They do, but not as you expressed them. The total percentage of CO2 is about 0.3-0.4%. You are claiming such a wee percentage cannot make much difference.

Yet the reality is that the percentage of CO2 has increased from about 0.280 to o.40, an INCREASE of about 30% in recent years. That is the percentage that matters. The change.

By analogy, 0.3 grams of arsenic in 100ml of water might not kill you, and 0.4 grams might. Its a significant difference.

The importance of any greenhouse gas lies in its opacity to particular parts of the infrared spectrum. Small amounts may be enough to render the atmosphere opaque, and what really matters here is the opacity in the higher atmosphere, where the air is much thinner. A higher concentration of CO2 may raise the altitude of total opacity by several hundred metres or some kilometres. That is what drives the effect we are dicussing.

So no, its not important that CO2 is a minor atmospheric gas as you claimed. Its important that its concentration has changed by percentage significantly.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#141755 Jul 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
No, ToE predicts MILLIONS of transitional fossils...failed prediction.
Biogeography...how interesting that you selectively look at data.
You have no explanation how huge tortoises reached oceanic islands (Galapagos, Reunion, Seychelles), or how monk seals ended up in Hawaii.
Fossil record... You cherry pick in that you take a few debatable examples and ignore failed predictions of ToE.
ToE predicts intermediates of pterosaur evolution. You have selectively ignored that challenge. Over 1,000 specimens discovered, all perfected in powered flight, and not one transitional species spanning over 140 million years. Is that a prediction of ToE. No...so you sweep it under the rug. That is not science...it is fraud.
What about bat evolution? What about flying insect evolution?
Back to the tired old "We don't know everything so we don't know anything" argument again, I see.

Funny that you accuse others of cherry picking.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#141756 Jul 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
P.S....Speaking of biogeography...how did penguins end up in the Galapagos?
Probably the same way they ended up in Argentina, Australia, Chile, New Zealand, and South Africa. Magic or swimming. What your choice?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#141757 Jul 9, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
For a long time I posted unregistered as Chimney but then one day jim ryan aka the carpet whisperer aka stupid wanker started using my Chimney tag to post bulllshit deliberately, so I had to register as Chimney1.
Ah well.
I remember that. Another one of Ryan's 'charming' characteristics.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#141758 Jul 9, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably the same way they ended up in Argentina, Australia, Chile, New Zealand, and South Africa. Magic or swimming. What your choice?
Prolly rested atop a tall ships mast or two otw. lol

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4060/4458614228...

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#141759 Jul 9, 2013
Oh not penguins I guess they would have take the wet route.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#141763 Jul 9, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't see how (believing what you do about what others tell you from their own theories derived from the theories of those who came before them) TAKES FAITH TO BELIEVE?
I've put my faith in God and you have put your faith in the opinions of speculations of men.
There is much more evidence in an intelligent design than there is for your theories about what someone says took place 600 million years ago.
"Man on Fire" is making you have to think a little deeper about what you BELIEVE.
Yeah, I'll be happy to put my 'faith' in man's speculations. Man had done one hell of a lot to improve his own existence. I don't recall any direct help from your god. It was your god that gave us disease (according to you guys). It is man that tries to eliminate it. Even the churches were organized by men.

So if you have an example of your god's helpfulness, let's hear it.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#141764 Jul 9, 2013
Rinnua wrote:
Back when I was being confirmed, the pastor told is all that we couldn't be good people unless we went to church every Sunday. I'm not making this up.
Wow. You're bringing back some old memories. May Processions! Yeah!

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#141765 Jul 9, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
As a public information to those less clear on this type of communication. It is not in real time. Posts do not show up immediately after the writer hits post comment.
I thought I would mention it, because it seems to be an issue for some.
You mean it's not real-time??? Holy crap!

/sarcasm

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#141766 Jul 9, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Does where we are in space play a role? How do you know?
If we are taxed ta hell for global warming, what proof does anyone have that what the morons in charge claim, will actually have an affect and what will they do to sequester, what cannot be sequestered? I realize you don't understand, but as the power plants are say capturing the carbon, they still have to store it. How much will it cost to store it and how much carbon will be released, providing a place to store it?
Do you have a working brain? How is science going to sequester the biggest cause, automotive exhaust!
Higher standards for gas mileage have reduced automotive carbon emissions rather effectively. As standards continue to increase, and as electric cars and gas/electric hybrids continue to increase in popularity and efficiency, so will the reduction in automotive carbon emissions continue.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#141767 Jul 9, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean it's not real-time??? Holy crap!
/sarcasm
I know. Who woulda thunk it. Seems a concept difficult at least for one person to grasp.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#141768 Jul 9, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice post. Not a word of it true, but nice never the less. I do enjoy fiction now and again.
One man's fantasy is another man' s reality. Nothing Wong with choosing what enhances your own life,
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141769 Jul 9, 2013
In all reality, I am not sure clean renewable energy will ever be given a chance in the marketplace, unless alot of money can be made off of it.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#141770 Jul 9, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
One man's fantasy is another man' s reality. Nothing Wong with choosing what enhances your own life,
Is this an endorsement for legalizing recreational drugs?
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141771 Jul 9, 2013
It only takes a little light to be a beacon in the night* If there ever gonna know, weve got to let it show* LET IT SHINE*

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#141772 Jul 9, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
Yawn. They do, but not as you expressed them. The total percentage of CO2 is about 0.3-0.4%. You are claiming such a wee percentage cannot make much difference.
WRONG.

"Carbon dioxide (chemical formula CO2) is a naturally occurring chemical compound composed of two oxygen atoms covalently bonded to a single carbon atom. It is a gas at standard temperature and pressure and exists in Earth's atmosphere in this state, as a trace gas at a concentration of 0.039 per cent by volume."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

You got it wrong by an order of magnitude even after I just provided the correct figures! Got to watch you real close!
HTS

Englewood, CO

#141773 Jul 9, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn. We have transitionals between ape and man. All the way. We have transitionals from amphibian to reptile, reptile to dino to bird, reptile to mammal, and for most major classes.
You lose. Millions? Ha. Of course we don't need millions. Why would you make such a silly claim?
<quoted text>
Well yes, we do.
<quoted text>
Crap. Now show us the actual fossil evidence that contradicts evolution. We have millions of fossils so it should be easy...but you cannot find any, can you.
<quoted text>
Actually, later ones show far more perfection than earlier ones. But yes, the actual transitions are not yet found. So what? Other fliers? Who knows, perhaps that transition is evolutionarily rapid once the basics are established. Its what we would expect.
Still beating a dead horse though. Gaps in what we know to not invalidate what we know.
Pure special pleading BS...
You haven't pointed out a single unequivocal transitional species. A few fragments of extinct ape skulls doesn't provide a shred of evidence that man is descended from apes, regardless of how much you wish that were so.

You make only arrogant declarations...I'm challenging you to provide scientific evidence.

Fossil evidence that contradicts evolution...? I just gave you an example...pterosaur evolution. You dodged and rationalized.
You've constructed the ToE around the fossil record, rationalizing every observation to fit the paradigm of evolution. The entirely of the fossil record contradicts evolution. Your incessant parroting of the same BS doesn't prove anything.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#141774 Jul 9, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
Yet the reality is that the percentage of CO2 has increased from about 0.280 to o.40, an INCREASE of about 30% in recent years. That is the percentage that matters. The change.
Yes, I agree.

But you have to look at WHEN the CO2 increased which was in recent years after the early 1970s. From the post war 1940s up until then is when the industrial age emissions greatly increased but CO2 actually decreased during that period. The recent increase in CO2 has occurred post recession and during a time when emissions have been greatly reduced. The exact opposite of what AGW would predict!

Also, meteorological weather balloon/upper air radiosonde data does not support a rise in temperature in the middle atmosphere/troposphere where you would expect the temperatures to increase since this is where greenhouse gases are located.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min DanFromSmithville 173,554
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 8 hr Dogen 143,913
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) 9 hr Chilli J 13
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) 16 hr Chimney1 583
News Intelligent design 17 hr Paul Porter1 22
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 17 hr Paul Porter1 421
Darwinism: Science or Philosophy? 17 hr Paul Porter1 56
More from around the web