Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
138,201 - 138,220 of 171,518 Comments Last updated 14 hrs ago

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141705
Jul 8, 2013
 
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Pity, that would have been a great pun.
And your point is dead on balls accurate.
Not quite. These are annual, global averages. His statement was irrelevant.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141706
Jul 8, 2013
 
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because you don't understand them.

No, I think he understands the fundies pretty well. Why fundies ignore the MEANING in the bible is what I don't get.

Tell us again how volcanos put out more CO2 than human activity does. That was hysterical.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141707
Jul 8, 2013
 
One way or another wrote:
Poor little chimney, he's just such an innocent little moron.

I call projection.

Your anger issues seem rooted in your lack of self esteem.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141708
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do. To simplify, consider that this is the same average temp as the Moon, which is the same distance from the sun as we are. A non greenhouse atmosphere could reduce the extremes, but a greenhouse effect is required to raise the average.
<quoted text>
Co2 20%. As I said already, a minor forcing agent. The question scientists ask is what are the flow on effects?
<quoted text>
I can see how difficult it is to predict. Cant you?
<quoted text>
That has to be one of the silliest statements. Percentage? That is silly.
So you are saying percentages don't matter? WTF? You make no sense. Typical liberal thinker: """"It doesn't matter....""" ""

I was hoping I could actually find some logic in your thinking in a different subject but I guess not. I guess the strange way you rationalize evolution is going to carry over into everything else.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141709
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Poor little Evo morons, they have nothing of their own, so they copy and paste everyone else's words.

Too stupid to have a thought in their heads. Lol

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141711
Jul 8, 2013
 
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying percentages don't matter? WTF? You make no sense. Typical liberal thinker: """"It doesn't matter....""" ""
I was hoping I could actually find some logic in your thinking in a different subject but I guess not. I guess the strange way you rationalize evolution is going to carry over into everything else.

Percentages matter, but you got to understand what you are looking at. We don't need a 500% increase in greenhouse gases to create global warming havoc. Water in the air changes based mostly on temperature. So we can expect MORE water in the air and consequently more warming with an increase in CO2.

It is really a simple concept.

Maybe you can pretend it all comes from volcanos.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141712
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dogen wrote:
No, I think he understands the fundies pretty well. Why fundies ignore the MEANING in the bible is what I don't get.
Tell us again how volcanos put out more CO2 than human activity does. That was hysterical.
Yes of course they do. You've been lied to. Not just CO2 but additional greenhouse gases far more contributive than CO2 alone. FAR MORE. Stop being an ignorant copy/paste moron.

And as far as the Bible. Quote the chapter and verse and give me your interpretation so I can make a fool out of you again.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141713
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Percentages matter, but you got to understand what you are looking at. We don't need a 500% increase in greenhouse gases to create global warming havoc. Water in the air changes based mostly on temperature. So we can expect MORE water in the air and consequently more warming with an increase in CO2.
It is really a simple concept.
Maybe you can pretend it all comes from volcanos.
That was completely idiotic.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141714
Jul 8, 2013
 
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes of course they do. You've been lied to. Not just CO2 but additional greenhouse gases far more contributive than CO2 alone. FAR MORE. Stop being an ignorant copy/paste moron.
And as far as the Bible. Quote the chapter and verse and give me your interpretation so I can make a fool out of you again.
Studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually.

In 2003 the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes.

Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/archive/2...
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141715
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am sorry, I don't understand gibberish.
Animals don't need to think to reproduce. I am not avoiding anything, you are using undefined terms and very very strange questions.
The earliest life probably used chemical signals to reproduce. Why don't you Google it yourself or ask a biologist?
And you don't see how (believing what you do about what others tell you from their own theories derived from the theories of those who came before them) TAKES FAITH TO BELIEVE?
I've put my faith in God and you have put your faith in the opinions of speculations of men.
There is much more evidence in an intelligent design than there is for your theories about what someone says took place 600 million years ago.
"Man on Fire" is making you have to think a little deeper about what you BELIEVE.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141716
Jul 8, 2013
 
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes of course they do. You've been lied to. Not just CO2 but additional greenhouse gases far more contributive than CO2 alone. FAR MORE. Stop being an ignorant copy/paste moron.

Bwhahahahahaha! I love it. When caught in a creotard lie,... defend it to the death!!!

I provided references. SCIENCE references.

Here is another one. Yawn

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/archive/2...

And another

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives...

Note the peer reviewed science referenced.

Better yet, here is the link
http://www.agu.org/pubs/pdf/2011EO240001.pdf

You creotards will believe whatever your anti-science web sites tell you.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> And as far as the Bible. Quote the chapter and verse and give me your interpretation so I can make a fool out of you again.

How about Mark 14:51.

I already know what level your understanding of the Bible is at. You don't know squat about the culture, politics, demographics or even RELIGION of the early Christians.

I bet you can't distinguish what early Christian groups actually believed from dummy descriptions that I could make up for you.


“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141717
Jul 8, 2013
 
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That was completely idiotic.

Yes, your response was completely idiotic. But that is the best I can expect from you. Your lack of scientific understanding is amazingly consistent in spite of all our attempts to educate you.


“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141718
Jul 8, 2013
 
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually.
In 2003 the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes.
Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/archive/2...

I could learn to like you.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141719
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

So the sun plays no role? Interresting

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141720
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't see how (believing what you do about what others tell you from their own theories derived from the theories of those who came before them) TAKES FAITH TO BELIEVE?
I've put my faith in God and you have put your faith in the opinions of speculations of men.
There is much more evidence in an intelligent design than there is for your theories about what someone says took place 600 million years ago.
"Man on Fire" is making you have to think a little deeper about what you BELIEVE.

Nice post. Not a word of it true, but nice never the less. I do enjoy fiction now and again.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141721
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Does where we are in space play a role? How do you know?

If we are taxed ta hell for global warming, what proof does anyone have that what the morons in charge claim, will actually have an affect and what will they do to sequester, what cannot be sequestered? I realize you don't understand, but as the power plants are say capturing the carbon, they still have to store it. How much will it cost to store it and how much carbon will be released, providing a place to store it?

Do you have a working brain? How is science going to sequester the biggest cause, automotive exhaust!
Rinnua

Duvall, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141722
Jul 8, 2013
 
One way or another wrote:
Poor little Evo morons, they have nothing of their own, so they copy and paste everyone else's words.
Too stupid to have a thought in their heads. Lol
Says the man who defends a religion that requires you to follow blindly or burn in hell.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141723
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The gov is borrowing over a trillion a year, to keep the gov lackies happy. The stock market would collapse if the fed quit puting 85 billion a month into the bond market.

If congress gets these billions more in taxes each year and the stock market gets their billions more each year, who's going to be footing the bill and how many businesses in America will fail, because of the demands?

Do you ever think before you act? Morons.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141724
Jul 8, 2013
 
Here is a short and sweet video that shows how CO2 can absorb heat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141725
Jul 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't see how (believing what you do about what others tell you from their own theories derived from the theories of those who came before them) TAKES FAITH TO BELIEVE?
I've put my faith in God and you have put your faith in the opinions of speculations of men.
There is much more evidence in an intelligent design than there is for your theories about what someone says took place 600 million years ago.
"Man on Fire" is making you have to think a little deeper about what you BELIEVE.
Actually, there is no evidence for intelligent design. If you think there is, it would be nice of you to post it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min wondering 113,129
GOP House candidate Bob Frey believes dinosaurs... 9 min The Dude 20
One reason some Atheists arecomplete idiots. 15 min The Dude 58
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 47 min wondering 153
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 50 min wondering 418
Big Bang? 2 hr TurkanaBoy 297
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 14 hr Dogen 134,506
•••
•••