Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141061 Jul 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You say that to a guy that is continually lying, living under delusions and deriding other people for exercising their rights in an effort to drive those same people off. How ironic.
He has a good idea of further using the water from dams. We need more energy!
One way or another

United States

#141062 Jul 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You say that to a guy that is continually lying, living under delusions and deriding other people for exercising their rights in an effort to drive those same people off. How ironic.
If you spent more time coming up with your own science, you wouldn't have time to criticize others.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141063 Jul 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Was that the original statement or claim? It sure went further afield from there.
It was sarcastically insinuated that water could not be used to power cars.
One way or another

United States

#141064 Jul 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>He is a home school dropout?
According to you two morons, dam builders are just too stupid to design dams so there is no waste. Wow, morons like you two, telling dam builders they are idiots.

Go home children.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#141065 Jul 6, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, you're a liar when you say, to relieve pressure on the dam. If you had a brain, you'd have to take it out and play with it.
You don't think water pressure on the dam needs to be released under certain circumstances? Wow! Did your parents have any children who lived?
One way or another

United States

#141066 Jul 6, 2013
On the other hand, I have proven the waste by dam builders. If you anti-American cowards find proof, offer it. Oh I'm sorry, anti-American cowardly groups never bring new thinking or proof. You all depend on each other, which dumbs down the entire group.

Americans that stand on their own two feet take the chance that they will face being wrong, which is tough enough, but with a band of anti-American morons attacking us as a cowardly group, you hope to shut down all that would dare to offer what they think, knowing that just possibly being wrong, makes us hesitant.

Without taking chances, all new thinking is stifled by you cowardly, anti-Americans.

Level 5

#141067 Jul 6, 2013
There is no proof of spill over, because it would be wasting energy, plain and simple, unless the dam designers were morons like booger.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/28/sto...

Spillover is sometimes done on occasion for the benefit of fish populations.
One way or another

United States

#141068 Jul 6, 2013
Anyone that stands in the face of such a cowardly group and still offers what they think are to be applauded. You cowardly morons in your groups deserve nothing but derision.

Level 5

#141069 Jul 6, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It was sarcastically insinuated that water could not be used to power cars.
Water can be used to power cars. However, it would be insanely stupid to do so.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141070 Jul 6, 2013
On the other hand, I have proven the waste by dam builders. If you anti-American cowards find proof, offer it. Oh I'm sorry, anti-American cowardly groups never bring new thinking or proof. You all depend on each other, which dumbs down the entire group.
Americans that stand on their own two feet take the chance that they will face being wrong, which is tough enough, but with a band of anti-American morons attacking us as a cowardly group, you hope to shut down all that would dare to offer what they think, knowing that just possibly being wrong, makes us hesitant.
Without taking chances, all new thinking is stifled by you cowardly, anti-Americans.
I am with you brother. I thank God I am here in the land of the free and the home of good people like you. God Bless.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#141071 Jul 6, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>He has a good idea of further using the water from dams. We need more energy!
So are you proposing a series of dams to continually capture energy? What about enclosing a whole river in one giant structure with an enormous number of turbines and generators to convert the stream energy to electricity. It would be practically free.

If he was really knowledgeable about things and an original thinker, he would have come up with something like this. Install turbines in the waste water drains and storm drains of most large urban areas. The turbines capture this unused energy and drive generators to convert it to electricity. The details for keeping trash and debris out of the water could be worked out and if this is economically feasible could supplement a cities power needs.

I came up with this idea independently, but I have not reviewed the literature to know if it is original or not. I certainly have never seen it promoted by anyone in the carpet repair business.

Level 9

#141072 Jul 6, 2013
I guess if all else fails and your arguments are shredded by facts and position is unstable, you can start waving the flag and calling everyone else anti-American.

No, that isn't cowardly at all.

Level 5

#141073 Jul 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
I guess if all else fails and your arguments are shredded by facts and position is unstable, you can start waving the flag and calling everyone else anti-American.
No, that isn't cowardly at all.
Everything runs on religion, magic and patriotism, don't cha know. Evidence, facts and science are irrelevant!

Level 9

#141074 Jul 6, 2013
After a brief look with Google, I see my idea is not unique. Others have come up with it or something similar. I wish I hadn't looked. I shot down my opening to consider myself smarter than everyone else.

Guess I will have to run and hide behind the flag.

Level 9

#141075 Jul 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything runs on religion, magic and patriotism, don't cha know. Evidence, facts and science are irrelevant!
Apparently for a larger percentage of the population than I would have thought anyway. We aren't all that far from the cave are we.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141076 Jul 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So are you proposing a series of dams to continually capture energy? What about enclosing a whole river in one giant structure with an enormous number of turbines and generators to convert the stream energy to electricity. It would be practically free.
If he was really knowledgeable about things and an original thinker, he would have come up with something like this. Install turbines in the waste water drains and storm drains of most large urban areas. The turbines capture this unused energy and drive generators to convert it to electricity. The details for keeping trash and debris out of the water could be worked out and if this is economically feasible could supplement a cities power needs.
I came up with this idea independently, but I have not reviewed the literature to know if it is original or not. I certainly have never seen it promoted by anyone in the carpet repair business.
Yes, it is original as far as I know. More thinking outside of the box is what our world needs. Thanks for joining us.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141077 Jul 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
After a brief look with Google, I see my idea is not unique. Others have come up with it or something similar. I wish I hadn't looked. I shot down my opening to consider myself smarter than everyone else.
Surprized me! I had never heard of it.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#141078 Jul 6, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I am with you brother. I thank God I am here in the land of the free and the home of good people like you. God Bless.
So then you are a slave.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#141079 Jul 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
lol Yeah, quite often when we think we have an original idea, it's been done, and with little success. Overall, dams like the Hoover are the only feasible method of hydroelectric power, we can't even get tidal generators working now. Nuclear power is the safest, cleanest, and most efficient source to date. Too bad we're using mostly coal still.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141080 Jul 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then you are a slave.
Not me. I am one of the freest people you will ever meet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min Paul Porter1 20,581
Beware of Kamikaze Snakes. They Are Evolving in... 22 min Zog Has-fallen 24
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 41 min Paul Porter1 171,736
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Paul Porter1 142,571
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 10 hr Paul Porter1 266
Science Suggests That A Quantum Creation Force ... (Jun '14) 11 hr Paul Porter1 33
News Intelligent design 11 hr GTID62 2
More from around the web