Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179697 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#141038 Jul 6, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Light photons wink out of existence, with a little time.

No, unless there has been a recent discovery showing otherwise, photons are immortal. They will continue till they interact with something. We are still receiving CBR (photons) from the Big Bang nearly 14 billion years ago.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#141039 Jul 6, 2013
Your cowardly anti--American group offers no proof of any kind.

I was unaware that science was unamerican. Considering the number of people who come here to study and practice science it would seem that science IS American.... and that you are not.

Your accusations are just another reflection of your paranoia and grandiosity.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141040 Jul 6, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Realistically, a practical car will never run on water.
But break the water down to hydrogen and oxygen and you got a new ball game.
BINGO!
One way or another

United States

#141041 Jul 6, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, unless there has been a recent discovery showing otherwise, photons are immortal. They will continue till they interact with something. We are still receiving CBR (photons) from the Big Bang nearly 14 billion years ago.
Show the proof. I will explain why that's impossible, after you finish making a complete fool out of yourself.
One way or another

United States

#141042 Jul 6, 2013
Instead of proof that something is a surety, science has reversed proof, in favor of falsification. Science chooses a negative, instead of a positive.

That's as dumb as it gets.
One way or another

United States

#141043 Jul 6, 2013
Science has been usurped by evolution, which offers no proof. That's why it must demand falsification, instead of proof, that everything else in the world depends on.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#141044 Jul 6, 2013
Allow me to tell you morons the waste, since as a cowardly group, you're too stupid to recognize it.
Look at the pics where the dams are shooting tons of water out of the front of the dams,---especially in an upward arch. Imagine first, the power lost, shooting that water, and then all the power lost from not figuring out how to funnel that water into a second bank of generators, lower down.
Yes, dams would have to be reconfigured and instead of the water arching upwards, it should be focused downward, so the force would be even greater.
Get a clue you anti-American cowards. Instead of using your cowardly group to attack others, you might use the group in a good way or you could use the American way and stand on your own two feet.
When you don't have others to depend on and use as cowardly children from your school cliques, then you have to use your mind.
When water "shoots" out of a dam, it is not going through the turbines, that is a form of "spillover" the turbines are already generating enough electricity and excess water is being released to relieve pressure on the dam.

You really were homeschooled, weren't you?

Level 5

#141045 Jul 6, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
The beauty of stupid is that it is boundless.
And apparently indestructible.

Level 5

#141046 Jul 6, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Did somebody say we could NEVER run a car on water? I think that is what started this conversation. ;)
I doubt anyone said you can not run a car on water. It is indeed possible, but in credibly pointless since it takes more energy to separate the water into brown's gas than it would take to move the car further than you will by burning (converting brown's gass back to water) the gas in the car.
One way or another

United States

#141047 Jul 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
When water "shoots" out of a dam, it is not going through the turbines, that is a form of "spillover" the turbines are already generating enough electricity and excess water is being released to relieve pressure on the dam.
Show your proof!
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#141048 Jul 6, 2013
Just like evolution, global warming is a hoax played upon the unsuspecting by greedy liars with a huge vested interest in sustaining it even when all the data proves it wrong. They want to convince you that as far as anthropomorphic global warming is concerned, the debate is over. These anti-science, anti-progress nut cases are mostly government (taxpayer) funded to promote and pay homage to their political ideology so completely lacks independence or objectivity. Besides the end game of taxing the hell out of us and parking our cars and turning out our lights, third-world countries will also be held back because of this lunacy.

Yes, I have taken a break from one misinformation campaign to another. Seems every liberal cause is based on false information and is basically done for the same selfish reasons.

Why did Congressman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (from my district) announce yesterday that communities like hers there will be home under water in only few short years (due to sea level rise.)? Obama has declared war on the energy industry. And then the newspaper goes on to say they checked her facts by checking with a government agency (controlled by people like Obama and Wasserman-Schultz) that is paid to promote it. Wasserman-Schultz gets contributions from the very people set to gain from it's promotion. Obama has her out there spreading this global warming propaganda which of course she has no clue what she's talking about.(At least Al Gore took one Natural Science course at Harvard which he earned a very respectable "D" Grade!) I doubt little Debby has had even one science course.

One way or another

United States

#141049 Jul 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, you're a liar when you say, to relieve pressure on the dam. If you had a brain, you'd have to take it out and play with it.
One way or another

United States

#141050 Jul 6, 2013
There is no proof of spill over, because it would be wasting energy, plain and simple, unless the dam designers were morons like booger.
One way or another

United States

#141051 Jul 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Just like evolution, global warming is a hoax played upon the unsuspecting by greedy liars with a huge vested interest in sustaining it even when all the data proves it wrong. They want to convince you that as far as anthropomorphic global warming is concerned, the debate is over. These anti-science, anti-progress nut cases are mostly government (taxpayer) funded to promote and pay homage to their political ideology so completely lacks independence or objectivity. Besides the end game of taxing the hell out of us and parking our cars and turning out our lights, third-world countries will also be held back because of this lunacy.
Yes, I have taken a break from one misinformation campaign to another. Seems every liberal cause is based on false information and is basically done for the same selfish reasons.
Why did Congressman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (from my district) announce yesterday that communities like hers there will be home under water in only few short years (due to sea level rise.)? Obama has declared war on the energy industry. And then the newspaper goes on to say they checked her facts by checking with a government agency (controlled by people like Obama and Wasserman-Schultz) that is paid to promote it. Wasserman-Schultz gets contributions from the very people set to gain from it's promotion. Obama has her out there spreading this global warming propaganda which of course she has no clue what she's talking about.(At least Al Gore took one Natural Science course at Harvard which he earned a very respectable "D" Grade!) I doubt little Debby has had even one science course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =p7n_hxOqKV0XX
All of those taxes are designed to give all in gov a free lunch. The manufacturing industry used to pay for it all. Now that most Manu has been given to china and others and so much of Manu has been taken over by robotics, all those taxes are gone.

The gov is borrowing over a trillion a year to pay all those gov jobs, because the gov workers keep voting for the congress that keeps giving them a free lunch.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#141052 Jul 6, 2013
Little Debbie actually said she will representing Orlando if "something isn't done" to stop the Global Warming crisis. Gosh, I'm so glad we have such bright politicians/scientists to govern and guide us into the future.{What a nightmare!!}
One way or another

United States

#141053 Jul 6, 2013
Its is very difficult to bring proof and so easy to cast doubt. No wonder science chooses doubt.
One way or another

United States

#141054 Jul 6, 2013
For years now the stock market has been feeding off of the Feds buying of 85billion a month investments in the bond markets. As soon as the fed hinted it would take away the 85billion a month, the stock market started to tumble. The fed has since said it would keep dumping 85billion a month, along with the gov morons borrowing a trillion a year, to keep bribing gov workers, riding the free lunch.
One way or another

United States

#141055 Jul 6, 2013
For the past 3 years global warming has been reversing itself, where I live. The average temp this year is 88 degrees at its highest. Here we are in July.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#141056 Jul 6, 2013
Our earth is part of a system within systems which swing or oscillate from maximum to minimum to reach equal balance. When we start seeing extreme swings, then the system is compensating for something not normal. Science needs to find us ways to work with nature to help bring earth's systems into balance.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#141057 Jul 6, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Thank God we stll have freedom. God Bless you and God Bless America!
You say that to a guy that is continually lying, living under delusions and deriding other people for exercising their rights in an effort to drive those same people off. How ironic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 17 min Blitzking 209,474
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 23 min replaytime 152,127
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 26 min Aura Mytha 20,229
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min emperorjohn 45,425
America evolving into lockdown on purpose 12 hr Dogen 68
New law to further hatred towards police Sat One way or another 4
Hillary, a taco stand on every corner Sat One way or another 4
More from around the web