Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180366 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#140978 Jul 5, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if I were to give some in my industry a distinguishing assignation in engineering, it would be in wave form technology.
Your expertise is still a delusion.
One way or another

United States

#140980 Jul 5, 2013
Some in my trade are engineers, trained in physics, geometry and wave form. I am we'll versed in all for over 42 years.

Most of you can't claim one. However, you simpletons think you know something. Lol

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#140981 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>My point was that a flushing container which could hold a lot of water could turn a shaft and reset itself by a counter weight and ratchet mechanism and if more than one were on line and timed to work together, the shaft could be turning all the time .

I so want you to be kidding.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#140982 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>He is not the only one unfortunately. I have invoked the ire of a waiting room full of disturbed Topix followers or a couple with a lot of time on their hands and no KY jelly.

Yes, Topix seems to be their home planet.
One way or another

United States

#140983 Jul 5, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Your expertise is still a delusion.
The definitions prove our trade is involved in all 4, physics, geometry, wave form technology and engineering.

You children have nothing.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140984 Jul 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends. There are all sorts of engineering concerns. Of course we know how high a siphon can go, or we should know how high the short leg of a siphon can go.
I know, do you?
Yes I know. I just wanted you to find out for yourself that a siphon can move water long distances.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#140985 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>You know what I mean! A very large container can hold a whole lot of weight and straight up and down movement is more effecient.

You mean like a dam?

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#140986 Jul 5, 2013
Some in my trade are engineers, trained in physics, geometry and wave form. I am we'll versed in all for over 42 years.
Most of you can't claim one. However, you simpletons think you know something. Lol

We have seen what you are well versed in. You expose it here everyday.

It is a little late to try to convince us you are knowledgeable when you have already spent years proving the opposite.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140987 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>AmerenUE runs a power plant in Missouri where the water to drive the conversion to electricity is kept in a huge reservoir on top of Proffit Mtn. During the day when demand is at a peak, water drained from the reservoir is channeled to a lower reservoir. This flow of water operates turbines that drive generators making electricity. During the night when energy costs are cheaper, the water is pumped back into the reservoir. This is how a large volume of water in a container high above the outlet is used to make electricity. As crazy as it seems the electric company has found an accounting trick to maintain the volume of water.
You have brought something to my attention I had not considered before. I was suggesting a large siphon could fill a tank with an opening bottom to flush it when it gets full. I had not thought of using the flushed water also to make electricity.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#140988 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>You have brought something to my attention I had not considered before. I was suggesting a large siphon could fill a tank with an opening bottom to flush it when it gets full. I had not thought of using the flushed water also to make electricity.

Oy vey
One way or another

United States

#140989 Jul 5, 2013
Come on children, tell us, from the pictures of dams and generators, what proves waste?

Are you too stupid to know children? Yes you are, or you would have already told us.

You prove too stupid to understand what children should know.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#140990 Jul 5, 2013
Come on children, tell us, from the pictures of dams and generators, what proves waste?
Are you too stupid to know children? Yes you are, or you would have already told us.
You prove too stupid to understand what children should know.

Wouldn't life be better if you didn't have to make up stuff to get attention?

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Happy New Year

#140991 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>You have brought something to my attention I had not considered before. I was suggesting a large siphon could fill a tank with an opening bottom to flush it when it gets full. I had not thought of using the flushed water also to make electricity.
I thought that was what we have been talking about all along. It makes more sense then siphoning water to a reservoir and then using the water to turn a generator. It still isn't free.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#140992 Jul 5, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
The water that goes through (not the spill over) a dam is in enclosed channels, technically a siphon.
Is it a siphon or a drain?

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#140993 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
You should check out this link. Look at the picture of Vittorio Zonca's 1607 mill. It sounds like something you are proposing. Then read up on the validity of that model.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/themes/s...

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#140994 Jul 5, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't life be better if you didn't have to make up stuff to get attention?
I don't know Dogen. I am starting to see the value in it. Did I tell you about the time I invented the leg.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140995 Jul 5, 2013
I believe a river could still run in it's natural channels if siphons were used to create power with water from it and if the water that is used is returned to it the effect would be manageable to appear natural. Water could be withdrawn in places where the river is very deep and replaced back above more shallow places.

Level 5

#140996 Jul 5, 2013
Unfortunately for you, you can not claim knowledge and expertise by association. It doesn't work like that.
One way or another

United States

#140997 Jul 5, 2013
Come on Evo children, use the pics of dams and generators, to show the terrible waste by dams.

I'm sorry, you prove too stupid to do such.

Level 5

#140998 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Is it a siphon or a drain?
In my mind, it doesn't matter so long as the inlet is lower than the outlet, between those two points, you can go up, down, all round so long as you don't exceed vapor pressure limits so the water remains liquid and the enclosed channel is ridgid, the only other limitation is the friction of the fluid against itself and the channel walls.

However, since we are just talking about going from an upstream point to a downstream point, the difference matters very little at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's your religion? 3 hr Subduction Zone 125
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 3 hr Subduction Zone 5,005
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Dogen 85,630
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 23 hr ChristineM 165,438
Humans evolved from Canadians Sat Mystic science 1
Evolution of the Tennessean species Sat Mystic science 1
Experiment In Evolution, Genetic Algorithms and... Sat was auch immer 10
More from around the web