Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140916 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
I am neither a physicist, engineer, nor a high school drop out, so I neither have the full range of knowledge to address this nor the delusional state to feel I do. That said, some questions arising from the basic education of had in these areas come to mind.
How is a siphon able to produce at 100% efficiency? Wouldn't there be drag between the water and the wall of the pipe? Isn't the energy input required to design, construct and implement a siphon part of the input cost? How would a shaft be turned by the flow of water through the siphon? Wouldn't this place further drag on the flow rate and reduce efficiency? A turbine if mentioned and as I understand it, these are more efficient than say water wheels in converting energy to work or conversion to another form like electricity. However, in either case wouldn't these have an environmental impact on the local fauna cruising down the pipe?
It seems to me, that no matter how you try to word this, there isn't anything free about this and other technology to capture this energy would be better. I believe wave action was mentioned at some point.
By the way, how did this siphon thing get started? I am not complaining, it has been interesting, I just missed the beginning. It occurs to me that just because I missed the beginning, the evidence does support that it took place.
We began going over ways of using water as a power source a few days ago. Siphons totally power themselves.

“Just because it is possible”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Doesn't mean it will happen.

#140918 Jul 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL , exactly and unless he is turning a paddle wheel , the water will have to fall. What he is really talking about is 18th century tech. But producing your own power is do able. But the method he describes wouldn't work without designing your own turbine and generators. He is going top need a big milling machine to do that.
But by creating that 12' drop he could use the small hydroelectric plants that are manufactured.
The difference here is ability, it's probably possible to build a pipe system with custom turbines and generators , but would require research and development. That makes it unfeasible unless this is his job or he has plenty of time to make the stuff.
Was this whole thought exercise intended to describe a system so that any person near a stream could drop a pipe and start producing free energy?

“What U Don't Know U Fear”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

What U Fear U Will Never Know

#140919 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
Well this explains it. Since a stalker is a coward, it makes sense that they would run to a place where there is another bully to help them attack a person. Who would have figured that this would be a thread where to lonely, demented souls would hook up.
Apparently, my comment last evening hurt someone's feelings. Stalkers must have a very low threshold for the truth.
ROFLMMFAO!!!
Nope I just thought it is about time to show what and who you are really about. Simple as that

Level 9

#140920 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>We began going over ways of using water as a power source a few days ago. Siphons totally power themselves.
I am having trouble envisioning how a siphon can be used to convert stream energy to electricity more efficiently and environmentally friendly than existing technology for many of the reasons already indicated. A large scale application wouldn't be more efficient or cost effective than what we have.

Level 9

#140921 Jul 5, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Even a high school dropout knows water does not flow uphill.
Servant apparently does not.
Apparently, a high school drop out knows more than the people educated in various fields of science and engineering.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140922 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Was this whole thought exercise intended to describe a system so that any person near a stream could drop a pipe and start producing free energy?
If that person is near a large pond or lake above him/her also, a siphon can produce energy for him or her.

Level 9

#140923 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If that person is near a large pond or lake above him/her also, a siphon can produce energy for him or her.
I won't reiterate the points that have been made already, but you somehow seem to feel this would all be 100% efficient and free. That would not be the case.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140924 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I am having trouble envisioning how a siphon can be used to convert stream energy to electricity more efficiently and environmentally friendly than existing technology for many of the reasons already indicated. A large scale application wouldn't be more efficient or cost effective than what we have.
It could be more versitile because the outlet can be positioned anywhere you need it to be, as long as it is below the inlet.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140925 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently, a high school drop out knows more than the people educated in various fields of science and engineering.
It's a miracle.

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#140926 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If that person is near a large pond or lake above him/her also, a siphon can produce energy for him or her.
More likely to produce a bad taste in their mouth. lol

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#140927 Jul 5, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, that made sense--sarcasm off. By definition, I am an engineer.

No. You are not.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#140928 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>We began going over ways of using water as a power source a few days ago. Siphons totally power themselves.
Nope. You're as much an engineer as Ryan.

Level 9

#140929 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It could be more versitile because the outlet can be positioned anywhere you need it to be, as long as it is below the inlet.
Yes, but this would not make it 100% efficient or free.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#140930 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It could be more versitile because the outlet can be positioned anywhere you need it to be, as long as it is below the inlet.
Don't you think it would be easier and more efficient to convert the water to energy at the source than piping it all over creation??? Energy would be easier to move than water, putz. That's why they don't build hydroelectric dams in the middle of a city rather than on a freaking river!

Level 9

#140931 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It's a miracle.
A delusion.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#140932 Jul 5, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, like creationists who think they know everything about evolutionary theory, yet demonstrate abject ignorance of the subject when questioned about it. Your Bible quote, which essentially says "everybody who disagrees with you is stupid, so don't get upset if people tell you your religious beliefs are nonsense," isn't evidence of anything except apologetics and rationalizations...the same kind used by cults throughout history.
That you could infer from anything I have written that I think those who don't agree with me are stupid, just shows how unreasonable you are. Reason, look it up. Now I know why you people continually call each other dishonest. You can lie by deliberately distorting what someone else has said.
Seems there is a lot of that that goes on here and it "kinda does" make everyone look stupid.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140933 Jul 5, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you think it would be easier and more efficient to convert the water to energy at the source than piping it all over creation??? Energy would be easier to move than water, putz. That's why they don't build hydroelectric dams in the middle of a city rather than on a freaking river!
At times water may not be running from an overflow of a pond or lake, a siphon will run as long as there is water over it's inlet.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140934 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but this would not make it 100% efficient or free.
It is 100% self powered though.

Level 9

#140935 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>At times water may not be running from an overflow of a pond or lake, a siphon will run as long as there is water over it's inlet.
So you are proposing that a siphon be used to create a flow of water beyond a natural or man made dam in a body of water. Then this flow can be converted to electricity with a turbine. The electricity can be distributed to wherever, to do work.

Now isn't this what is done to create hydroelectric power? Without using a siphon of course.

Level 9

#140936 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It is 100% self powered though.
What about changes in atmospheric pressure acting on the siphon?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 min Chimney1 19,775
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Subduction Zone 168,858
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 2 hr huh 6,214
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr kenedy njoroge 141,817
has science finally debunked the 'god' myth? 7 hr Paul Porter1 13
How can we prove God exists, or does not? Thu Paul Porter1 197
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) Thu Paul Porter1 561
More from around the web