Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
137,361 - 137,380 of 172,524 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#140853 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>A large shaft turned by thousands of gallons of water weight will create torque which can be used in everything fom pneumatics to generators to you name it. If the outlet is away from the river, then the water can be channeled back after use with no harmful effects.
This is funny , because this is exactly what they did...
in the 19th century. Haven't we progressed any since then?

http://www.victorianweb.org/technology/ir/8.h...
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140854 Jul 5, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't profess to have much knowledge of the engineering aspects - but an obvious question about the above post
Where does the energy come from to 'channel back' the water after use?
If the outlet is positioned above the river water level then it is higher than the water in the river at that location and since water will always run downhill, it can be returned back to the river after it is used with no other energy than gravity flow on it's own.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#140855 Jul 5, 2013
See how easy it is to be the next psychiatrist, even a Nova Scotia tug boat captain is one. Lol, the next dogshit.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140856 Jul 5, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have enough power to squander it like that. You have so little energy to start with that every thing you do to the system will decrease the amount of power you are left with (if any).
This is not worth wasting time even talking about. There are to many more promising energy sources that are so much more efficient.
This could convert water weight into usable energy and one gallon of water weighs around 8 pds. Can you figure how much torque would be produced with a thousand gallons.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#140857 Jul 5, 2013
Its such a shame that most of what's said is negative. It seems the need to express oneself is overwhelming, even in me. Lol you morons. Lol
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140858 Jul 5, 2013
??????
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#140859 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>If only he would use his super powers for good.
When I started posting on Topix, I was looking to learn, to discuss and debate, to test ideas in a fashion, to be familiarized with the latest news on a subject and develop my skills at debating. I have gotten most if not all of these in varying degrees along with much more. Little did I realize that I would also be able to watch the manifestations of mental illness and aberrant behavior firsthand. I have seen what appear to be abnormal levels of narcissism, paranoia, and rage along with numerous other behaviors that may or may not qualify as pathological, but certainly unusual. I can only hope that some researchers somewhere are tapping this resource and getting some papers out of it.
The stalkers are interesting in their need to assault while lying about the fact that they are following you around to assault you. Some seem to have an overwhelming need to try and dominate. I also wonder about delusions amongst some of them. I have one here that feels he knows more than anyone else, bullies others, goes to extraordinary efforts to fool, confuse, and lie to others and at the same time, claims that he is out to stop this behavior in others. I think you are right. They feel safe here. They can do what the please with no reprisals or negative social impact and they fuel their own delusions.
You're such a fruking idiot dr. Fraud, you're just like dr. Dogshit. Anyone can be the next psychiatrist, with the help of the net. Ya don't even need to prove anything, just start using big words and claims that the net provides and you too can be the next dr. Fraud.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#140860 Jul 5, 2013
Only thing is, neither of you ever offer anything good or healing or new. Calling all dr. Frauds
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#140861 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
??????

I said most, not all. You're doing a good job, thank you.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140862 Jul 5, 2013
When we consider the weight of all the water which runs down our rivers every second of every day, we can begin to understand what this would mean if we could convert just a portion of it into useable energy. Dams are not a good answer when we consider what they may be doing to some of our fragile environment and the impact they have on it's natural cyclical systems.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140863 Jul 5, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
I said most, not all. You're doing a good job, thank you.
Thank you and God Bless you.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#140864 Jul 5, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Water running downhill is already exploited by dams.
Moron.
Wait! That's gravity? Where the hell is the spin???

Level 8

Location hidden

#140865 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>This could convert water weight into usable energy and one gallon of water weighs around 8 pds. Can you figure how much torque would be produced with a thousand gallons.
About 79998.5 ft pounds.
145 hp, for 1 second or .0045 horsepower for 1 minute.

You need a flow rate to calculate how much energy it really is.

Level 8

Location hidden

#140866 Jul 5, 2013
Crap, that should be 2.4 hp for 1 minute.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140867 Jul 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
About 79998.5 ft pounds.
145 hp, for 1 second or .0045 horsepower for 1 minute.
You need a flow rate to calculate how much energy it really is.
The flow rate and amount is constant and the size of the pipe gives volume. A very large pipe could supply a thousand gallons a minute.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#140868 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>If only he would use his super powers for good.
When I started posting on Topix, I was looking to learn, to discuss and debate, to test ideas in a fashion, to be familiarized with the latest news on a subject and develop my skills at debating. I have gotten most if not all of these in varying degrees along with much more. Little did I realize that I would also be able to watch the manifestations of mental illness and aberrant behavior firsthand. I have seen what appear to be abnormal levels of narcissism, paranoia, and rage along with numerous other behaviors that may or may not qualify as pathological, but certainly unusual. I can only hope that some researchers somewhere are tapping this resource and getting some papers out of it.
The stalkers are interesting in their need to assault while lying about the fact that they are following you around to assault you. Some seem to have an overwhelming need to try and dominate. I also wonder about delusions amongst some of them. I have one here that feels he knows more than anyone else, bullies others, goes to extraordinary efforts to fool, confuse, and lie to others and at the same time, claims that he is out to stop this behavior in others. I think you are right. They feel safe here. They can do what the please with no reprisals or negative social impact and they fuel their own delusions.

Yes, lots of projection. And the standards of interpersonal behavior are more or less suspended in this written form. I get a lot harsher with people than I know I would ever get in a face to face conversation.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140869 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>A large shaft turned by thousands of gallons of water weight will create torque which can be used in everything fom pneumatics to generators to you name it. If the outlet is away from the river, then the water can be channeled back after use with no harmful effects.

Rock have an unlimited supply of energy too. All you do is throw one off a cliff. After it hits the bottom all you have to do is climb down, retrieve the rock and carry it back up and it is ready to go again generating energy!

Easy Peasy!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140870 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If the outlet is positioned above the river water level then it is higher than the water in the river at that location and since water will always run downhill, it can be returned back to the river after it is used with no other energy than gravity flow on it's own.

OMG. Back to a basic physics book you must go!

The water has to have an outlet lower than when you start.

You should have learned this is like 5th grade.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140871 Jul 5, 2013
One way or another wrote:
See how easy it is to be the next psychiatrist, even a Nova Scotia tug boat captain is one. Lol, the next dogshit.

Paranoia. Anger. Dysthymia .
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140872 Jul 5, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rock have an unlimited supply of energy too. All you do is throw one off a cliff. After it hits the bottom all you have to do is climb down, retrieve the rock and carry it back up and it is ready to go again generating energy!
Easy Peasy!
FUNNY....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 30 min KAB 136,270
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 30 min Subduction Zone 115,247
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 36 min TedHOhio 209
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) 58 min TurkanaBoy 320
Science News (Sep '13) Thu positronium 2,848
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism Aug 27 Zog Has-fallen 343
Natural Selection Not The Only Process That Dri... (Jan '14) Aug 25 reMAAT 20
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••