Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178597 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#140864 Jul 5, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Water running downhill is already exploited by dams.
Moron.
Wait! That's gravity? Where the hell is the spin???

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#140865 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>This could convert water weight into usable energy and one gallon of water weighs around 8 pds. Can you figure how much torque would be produced with a thousand gallons.
About 79998.5 ft pounds.
145 hp, for 1 second or .0045 horsepower for 1 minute.

You need a flow rate to calculate how much energy it really is.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#140866 Jul 5, 2013
Crap, that should be 2.4 hp for 1 minute.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140867 Jul 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
About 79998.5 ft pounds.
145 hp, for 1 second or .0045 horsepower for 1 minute.
You need a flow rate to calculate how much energy it really is.
The flow rate and amount is constant and the size of the pipe gives volume. A very large pipe could supply a thousand gallons a minute.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#140868 Jul 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>If only he would use his super powers for good.
When I started posting on Topix, I was looking to learn, to discuss and debate, to test ideas in a fashion, to be familiarized with the latest news on a subject and develop my skills at debating. I have gotten most if not all of these in varying degrees along with much more. Little did I realize that I would also be able to watch the manifestations of mental illness and aberrant behavior firsthand. I have seen what appear to be abnormal levels of narcissism, paranoia, and rage along with numerous other behaviors that may or may not qualify as pathological, but certainly unusual. I can only hope that some researchers somewhere are tapping this resource and getting some papers out of it.
The stalkers are interesting in their need to assault while lying about the fact that they are following you around to assault you. Some seem to have an overwhelming need to try and dominate. I also wonder about delusions amongst some of them. I have one here that feels he knows more than anyone else, bullies others, goes to extraordinary efforts to fool, confuse, and lie to others and at the same time, claims that he is out to stop this behavior in others. I think you are right. They feel safe here. They can do what the please with no reprisals or negative social impact and they fuel their own delusions.

Yes, lots of projection. And the standards of interpersonal behavior are more or less suspended in this written form. I get a lot harsher with people than I know I would ever get in a face to face conversation.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140869 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>A large shaft turned by thousands of gallons of water weight will create torque which can be used in everything fom pneumatics to generators to you name it. If the outlet is away from the river, then the water can be channeled back after use with no harmful effects.

Rock have an unlimited supply of energy too. All you do is throw one off a cliff. After it hits the bottom all you have to do is climb down, retrieve the rock and carry it back up and it is ready to go again generating energy!

Easy Peasy!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140870 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If the outlet is positioned above the river water level then it is higher than the water in the river at that location and since water will always run downhill, it can be returned back to the river after it is used with no other energy than gravity flow on it's own.

OMG. Back to a basic physics book you must go!

The water has to have an outlet lower than when you start.

You should have learned this is like 5th grade.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140871 Jul 5, 2013
One way or another wrote:
See how easy it is to be the next psychiatrist, even a Nova Scotia tug boat captain is one. Lol, the next dogshit.

Paranoia. Anger. Dysthymia .
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140872 Jul 5, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rock have an unlimited supply of energy too. All you do is throw one off a cliff. After it hits the bottom all you have to do is climb down, retrieve the rock and carry it back up and it is ready to go again generating energy!
Easy Peasy!
FUNNY....
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140873 Jul 5, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG. Back to a basic physics book you must go!
The water has to have an outlet lower than when you start.
You should have learned this is like 5th grade.
Please pay attention! A SIPHON has an inlet that must be positioned at a higher elevation than the outlet for it to function.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140874 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>This could convert water weight into usable energy and one gallon of water weighs around 8 pds. Can you figure how much torque would be produced with a thousand gallons.

800 ft/lbs assuming your machine is 100% efficient (hint: it won't be anywhere near that.)

And your a(g) is going to be less that 9.8 m/s (actual a(g) and maximum speed will depend on (be decreased by) the angle of decent, friction, air pressure.....
Mugwump

London, UK

#140875 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Please pay attention! A SIPHON has an inlet that must be positioned at a higher elevation than the outlet for it to function.
Ok - am I missing something here (always possible)

The below was in response to my question about how you 'channel' the used water back into the process without expending energy
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If the outlet is positioned above the river water level then it is higher than the water in the river at that location and since water will always run downhill, it can be returned back to the river after it is used with no other energy than gravity flow on it's own.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140876 Jul 5, 2013
Its such a shame that most of what's said is negative. It seems the need to express oneself is overwhelming, even in me. Lol you morons. Lol

Constructive criticism. It is the way of science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140877 Jul 5, 2013
<quoted text>
You're such a fruking idiot dr. Fraud, you're just like dr. Dogshit. Anyone can be the next psychiatrist, with the help of the net. Ya don't even need to prove anything, just start using big words and claims that the net provides and you too can be the next dr. Fraud.

I understand that the thought of mental health services frightens you.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140878 Jul 5, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
800 ft/lbs assuming your machine is 100% efficient (hint: it won't be anywhere near that.)
And your a(g) is going to be less that 9.8 m/s (actual a(g) and maximum speed will depend on (be decreased by) the angle of decent, friction, air pressure.....
If I could supply 8,000 pounds per minute to rotate a shaft, how much energy would you have available for use?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140879 Jul 5, 2013
Only thing is, neither of you ever offer anything good or healing or new. Calling all dr. Frauds

Medicine that is spit out will never heal. That has no bearing on the potential effectiveness of the medicine.

I am not offering to take you on as a client. I am suggesting you seek mental health services in your area.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#140880 Jul 5, 2013
<quoted text>
That all depends on the engineering. Dams are very inefficient, as their pictures prove. A child should be able to see and understand the ignorance and waste.
Dams are inefficient? Compared to WHAT?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140881 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
When we consider the weight of all the water which runs down our rivers every second of every day, we can begin to understand what this would mean if we could convert just a portion of it into useable energy. Dams are not a good answer when we consider what they may be doing to some of our fragile environment and the impact they have on it's natural cyclical systems.

I am don't with this. It has gotten to be silly.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#140882 Jul 5, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If I could supply 8,000 pounds per minute to rotate a shaft, how much energy would you have available for use?
Not 8,000 pounds per minute, as there will always either be energy lost via heat or energy spent to prevent such heat loss. TANSTAAFL.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140883 Jul 5, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait! That's gravity? Where the hell is the spin???

I know what we can do. We can run it down a spiral to add the spin. Obviously spinning will increase the gravity and it will speed up. If we spin it enough it will break the speed of light and we will have unlimited energy forever!

Spin gravity solves global energy shortage!

/sarcasm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min messianic114 163,645
How can we prove God exists, or does not? 1 hr Paul Porter1 78
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 20 hr Chimney1 141,315
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Tue Kathleen 19,031
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) May 18 MADRONE 1,870
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) May 15 emrenil 1,243
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) May 15 MikeF 13,700
More from around the web