Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
137,321 - 137,340 of 171,558 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

Dams are terribly inefficient.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

Don't wait for me to tell ya, because all I'm going to do from now on is to layout when things are wrong. I won't give the fix, I'll leave that to the Evo faction here.

Oh gosh, they never once had an idea all their own.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't need a siphon. Just a way to channel water across turbines.
Unfortunately, just as with the siphon the lower the water speed the less the force to overcome the friction of the turbines the less net energy generation. Dams maximize water pressure and speed for much greater efficiency.
In my city the hydroelectric plant use 5 tubes that drop 230 feet reducing as it falls so it not only attains terminal velocity it carry's the force of millions of gallons of water above it.
I imagine all dams are very similar , and must have a minimum height to attain terminal velocity, of course higher will not produce more speed but will add mass as well as volume . Point being a siphon could never generate these speeds and pressures, though turbines could possibly be designed to operate like paddle-wheels, the problems I see submerging turbines and pipes in rivers is maintenance as well as clogging. You cant submerge pipes under a river and not expect them to clog. But submersible in river turbines could be designed with a maintenance nightmare liability. though it is a decent idea and wouldn't require siphons or piping.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
In my city the hydroelectric plant use 5 tubes that drop 230 feet reducing as it falls so it not only attains terminal velocity it carry's the force of millions of gallons of water above it.
I imagine all dams are very similar , and must have a minimum height to attain terminal velocity, of course higher will not produce more speed but will add mass as well as volume . Point being a siphon could never generate these speeds and pressures, though turbines could possibly be designed to operate like paddle-wheels, the problems I see submerging turbines and pipes in rivers is maintenance as well as clogging. You cant submerge pipes under a river and not expect them to clog. But submersible in river turbines could be designed with a maintenance nightmare liability. though it is a decent idea and wouldn't require siphons or piping.
Not too bad, but the thinking is still restricted. Its not free flowing, as the water and the mind.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

I see we envision the same problems I do. As long as Jim does not agree with us we are on solid ground!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Not too bad, but the thinking is still restricted. Its not free flowing, as the water and the mind.

Restricted by reality. A restriction we are stuck with.

Well, some of us are.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Restricted by reality. A restriction we are stuck with.
Well, some of us are.
Keep running off at the mouth dogen, in all the years you've been here, you never once had a thought all your own. You're lazy and stupid.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The water weight could be used at the outlet to turn a large shaft with a flushing tank and counterweight wratcheting mechanism to create great torque. The inlet could be screened to prevent clogging.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

More than one tank with a ratcheting mechanism could be used to turn the shaft continually.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The water weight could be used at the outlet to turn a large shaft with a flushing tank and counterweight wratcheting mechanism to create great torque. The inlet could be screened to prevent clogging.
We look forward to the trial runs of your prototype. But remember you were cautioned to the problematic nature of your design criteria.

“Pope & President”

Since: Aug 12

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny!! While we are at it, how about we install drains in boats so they no longer get flooded with water and sink?
no but seriously oceanic rise is a problem we all face
somewhere in the future.
whilst we still search for a replacement for nuclear power
with very little alternative than to drain our oceans,
i would like to stress that 90%
of our oceans are already raw sewerage plants,
apart from this natural process for dealing with our
Human waste there isn't much left
of value in our oceans and pose
very much as a modern bane to both
transportation tourism and of
course trade
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> We look forward to the trial runs of your prototype. But remember you were cautioned to the problematic nature of your design criteria.
I never said I have the capability to make a trial run of a siphon of that size, I was just commenting on the concept. Thank you for your help. Most communities pump water from their rivers through piping that is many years old and they handle the clogging problem somehow, I am not sure what you mean.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>As long as the outlet is suppling water, the weight can be used to create usable energy. The one good advantage siphons would have over dams, is that they do not need to obstruct natural systematic flow.
They REDUCE flow by diverting water from the source. And, without a precipitous drop, you'd have nothing more useful than a water wheel. The larger you make the drop, the more energy has to be invested in bringing that water back up to the surface. Either you need to supply energy to raise water up to drop it to the surface, or you need to supply energy to raise water up to the surface after it drops. Which waste of energy do you think is less than the energy generated by the flowing water, and by what margin?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I never said I have the capability to make a trial run of a siphon of that size, I was just commenting on the concept. Thank you for your help. Most communities pump water from their rivers through piping that is many years old and they handle the clogging problem somehow, I am not sure what you mean.
It needn't be FULL SIZE. It can be as little as 1:75 and still demonstrate the principle for proof of concept. Can you make a demo that's got a "river" a mere 12 inches wide?

“Pope & President”

Since: Aug 12

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Rinnua wrote:
i think religious people should actually learn about evolution before they declare it false. its something we all see every day. evolution, as i understand it, simply says that things change over time, and we know that to be real- think about it. if you put your hand on a hot stove and burnt yourself, would you make the same mistake again or would you learn from it? thats basically the concept of evolution. dinosaurs dont exist today, do they? no, thats evolution. its not really a deniable thing. PS i was born Catholic and i received Confirmation, so i have seen both sides of the argument in depth.
hi, i am a catholic monk, a Carthusian, don't waste your time with
these people they are profoundly hostile creatures.

i presume your a virgin, then off to nunnery then me girl to be saved.
do not be tempted by all the different coloured sweets
that they have to offer in this forum.
because one post is radically different from the other.

adam and eve were born by a tree god of nature, and there is the living
proof of this in the GSZ evolution theory.

if you do choose to stay, then please keep your crucifix
close to hand for some posters are vampires.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>A few large siphons hidden on the river bed might work just as well as a dam and still allow natural stream flow over them, if the line was burried under mud.
Just like a dam operated with a regular spill over and or a fish ladder, huh?

Where are all these "bloomin 'geniuses'" coming from lately? Home school maybe?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Then bring your definition.
Science says,---dam
/dam/
Abbreviation
Decameter(s).
Noun
A barrier constructed to hold back water and raise its level, the resulting reservoir being used in the generation of electricity or as...
The female parent of an animal, esp. a domestic mammal.
Verb
Build a dam across (a river or lake).
Synonyms
noun. dike - weir - barrage - embankment - levee - jetty
verb. bank - stem - block
Which is what you would have to do to funnel water into your siphon, dumb butt!
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is what you would have to do to funnel water into your siphon, dumb butt!
Not necessarily. Just because you don't have an imagination, doesn't mean others don't.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
It needn't be FULL SIZE. It can be as little as 1:75 and still demonstrate the principle for proof of concept. Can you make a demo that's got a "river" a mere 12 inches wide?
Sure, I have ran 3/4 plastic pipe out of a stream that ran out of a cave near my home and it worked, but I haven't used a water wheel at the outlet before.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I never said I have the capability to make a trial run of a siphon of that size, I was just commenting on the concept. Thank you for your help. Most communities pump water from their rivers through piping that is many years old and they handle the clogging problem somehow, I am not sure what you mean.
Then you admit you are not an engineer much less capable of the design of such systems?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Subduction Zone 113,197
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 13 min Subduction Zone 439
GOP House candidate Bob Frey believes dinosaurs... 53 min wondering 22
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 5 hr DanFromSmithville 134,593
Why do half of Britons not believe in evolution? 7 hr aggressive dressmaker 2
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) 16 hr Courtney Galler 2
One reason some Atheists arecomplete idiots. 20 hr The Dude 58
•••
•••