Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,852

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#140336 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the poll answers again SZ. only 13% believe in evolution and the big bang and God having nothing to do with any of it.
2. Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process.
13% chose (2)
Okay, I misread your post. 45% of the U.S. public are woefully ignorant.

Did you have a point?

Of the people best able to answer that question over 99% say it was evolution. That study did not show whether they thought god had a hand in evolution or not. And I just got back from a Google search that says it is even worse for you. Of the scientists who best understand the theory, worldwide over 99.9% accept the theory of evolution:
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA111.h...

If 45% of the public thought that cars could run on water do you think that would be a good reason to teach that?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#140337 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm don't take it literally as in like they say the earth is a circle so you take it literally thinking are saying it is flat. DUH!!
Actually since I based that number on my misreading your poll that has to be thrown out.

The fact is that nobody reads the Bible literally, unless they are a psychopathic murderer. The Bible instructs you to kill for all sorts of "crimes" and according to the New Testament those laws are still in effect.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#140338 Jul 2, 2013
I am going to ask this question again:

If 45% of the American people thought that it was possible to run a car on water would you think that would be a good excuse to teach that in school?

By the way, quite a few people were fooled by the "hydrogen boost" systems that were being marketed when the price of gas rose suddenly under George Bush. There are people who still believe in these even though all professional tests of those systems show that they have no positive effect.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#140339 Jul 2, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Did I forget to mention that I was also a licensed by the coast guard, 100 ton boat captain, for the 51 foot ocean fishing vessel, for the owner, Wayne York, on the weekends, for 10 years, before I let my captains license lapse?
Yea, they let just anybody be in charge of 35 lives at sea, because they're crazy. Hahahahahahahaha. Dogcrap, your a frukin moron.
More to follow

I had a client with delusional disorder, paranoid type who graduated from Berkley, with honors, had a family and worked as an editor for a number of years. That is the thing about that disorder, unless the person has a propensity to talk about their delusions or get so bad they start ACTING on their delusions they seldom present for treatment.

If you want to see real people with delusional disorder just watch the people searching for bigfoot or UFOs on the discovery channel, or the government conspiracy people.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140340 Jul 2, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool, but I just as soon stay in warm waters, I've been in the ocean and that's bad enough in fast current and dark night. I wouldn't want to pit myself against the cold oceans.

You were being mocked, again.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140341 Jul 2, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I was a locomotive engineer. I was in charge of the engine Thomas on the island of Sodor. Boy, did I have some wild times with that train!

I used to be a builder named Bob.

Can I fix it?
YES I CAN!

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#140342 Jul 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually since I based that number on my misreading your poll that has to be thrown out.
The fact is that nobody reads the Bible literally, unless they are a psychopathic murderer. The Bible instructs you to kill for all sorts of "crimes" and according to the New Testament those laws are still in effect.
Not my fault you can't read well or read things wrong to look in your favor.

It is not my poll. It is a Gallop Poll

Source being - National Center for Science Education.

Show your evidence that 45% of people believe that cars can run on water and I will address it. I don't really address made up "what if's"

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140343 Jul 2, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, me too....lol
For every book he can produce discounting the Bible, I can probably produce dozens just as persuasive that support it.
We choose what we want to believe. Give our kids the same opportunity we had. You don't have to hide the truth from them...whether it be Scientific proof or Biblical truth.
The spiritual aspect of the human spirit draws us to God. Atheists can't bear to thing of anyone finding something they have missed, so they are trying to do away with iit all together.
Though others have tried, that has never happened, and it never will. Faith in God when it gets into the human spirit is a SUPERnatural experience that few who ever find it want to turn away from! Want proof, look around!

The weight of evidence has its impact. Few modern scholars believe the Bible is literally true in its early chapters. It flies in the face of the evidence.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140344 Jul 2, 2013
Believer wrote:
I've been doing some research on the controversy between creationism and evolution in the public schools.
The statistics I found showed that approximately
20% of those polled wanted evolution only taught
16% wanted creation only taught
64% wanted both taught either in science and biology, religious studies, wanted both but weren't sure how.
Because the atheist crowd is the "squeaky wheel," they are getting most of the attention these days. And, sadly, Too many believers are not paying enough attention to what is going on.

You may have your facts bass ackward.

Scientists are against pseudoscience being taught as science across the board, regardless of their personal religious views.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#140345 Jul 2, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't change the fact that 51% accepted evolution.
Evolution is merely change and everything changes that is a fact and law of life. But out of that 51%, 38% believe in God, only 13 don't believe in God.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#140346 Jul 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a client with delusional disorder, paranoid type who graduated from Berkley, with honors, had a family and worked as an editor for a number of years. That is the thing about that disorder, unless the person has a propensity to talk about their delusions or get so bad they start ACTING on their delusions they seldom present for treatment.
If you want to see real people with delusional disorder just watch the people searching for bigfoot or UFOs on the discovery channel, or the government conspiracy people.
LOL you reminded me of this..

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140347 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical answer from you. What does this have to do with evolution being taught in school besides nothing?
His polls are correct and you don't like it and you show that by being a smart@ssss.

I think his points were that:
1. polls don't change reality and
2. our educational system should teach reality whatever the polls say.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#140348 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Not my fault you can't read well or read things wrong to look in your favor.
It is not my poll. It is a Gallop Poll
Source being - National Center for Science Education.
Show your evidence that 45% of people believe that cars can run on water and I will address it. I don't really address made up "what if's"
You dodged my other question. What was your point?

So you found a poll that shows that 45% of the American public is wrong about a subject. Big whoop.

You won't answer my question about cars running on water because you know that it shows how foolish your post of your poll was.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#140349 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is merely change and everything changes that is a fact and law of life. But out of that 51%, 38% believe in God, only 13 don't believe in God.
As I said, it doesn't change the fact that 51% accepted evolution.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140350 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the poll answers again SZ. only 13% believe in evolution and the big bang and God having nothing to do with any of it.
2. Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process.
13% chose (2)

I would have trouble with the wording "no part in this process" as I think God is in all things. But I still understand that Evolution is a fact (common use of the term).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140351 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm don't take it literally as in like they say the earth is a circle so you take it literally thinking are saying it is flat. DUH!!

Circles are flat.

Squares are flat.

Triangles are flat.

Spheres are 3D
Cubes are 3D....

Why were the terms for circle and disk used instead of the word for sphere?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#140352 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
No, evolution is not just change. Your poll shows that 51% believe in common descent, that is what the theory of evolution claims.

If you want to believe that your god had a hand in it that does not bother me. As long as no unsupportable statements are made about the necessity of your god's hand in it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140353 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>

So? Many people who believe in God also acknowledge evolution. Nearly all scientists that believe in God acknowledge evolution.

It will matter more what people think once they have learned to think.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140354 Jul 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
I am going to ask this question again:
If 45% of the American people thought that it was possible to run a car on water would you think that would be a good excuse to teach that in school?
By the way, quite a few people were fooled by the "hydrogen boost" systems that were being marketed when the price of gas rose suddenly under George Bush. There are people who still believe in these even though all professional tests of those systems show that they have no positive effect.
Have you ever heard of an engine that will run on hydrogen?

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#140355 Jul 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You dodged my other question. What was your point?
So you found a poll that shows that 45% of the American public is wrong about a subject. Big whoop.
You won't answer my question about cars running on water because you know that it shows how foolish your post of your poll was.
Read the last part of the post you responded to. I addressed your question of cars. And ad far as my point, that is simple and was explained in my post. My point was you misread it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New review critical of "Origins" 2 hr ugome 24
Need clarification on evolution 4 hr Zog Has-fallen 8
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 hr Chilli J 116,732
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 5 hr susanblange 65
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 8 hr thewordofme 137,101
Difficulty Loading Topix Pages 11 hr Gillette 11
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 13 hr hpcaban 348
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••