Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#140346 Jul 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a client with delusional disorder, paranoid type who graduated from Berkley, with honors, had a family and worked as an editor for a number of years. That is the thing about that disorder, unless the person has a propensity to talk about their delusions or get so bad they start ACTING on their delusions they seldom present for treatment.
If you want to see real people with delusional disorder just watch the people searching for bigfoot or UFOs on the discovery channel, or the government conspiracy people.
LOL you reminded me of this..

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#140347 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical answer from you. What does this have to do with evolution being taught in school besides nothing?
His polls are correct and you don't like it and you show that by being a smart@ssss.

I think his points were that:
1. polls don't change reality and
2. our educational system should teach reality whatever the polls say.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#140348 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Not my fault you can't read well or read things wrong to look in your favor.
It is not my poll. It is a Gallop Poll
Source being - National Center for Science Education.
Show your evidence that 45% of people believe that cars can run on water and I will address it. I don't really address made up "what if's"
You dodged my other question. What was your point?

So you found a poll that shows that 45% of the American public is wrong about a subject. Big whoop.

You won't answer my question about cars running on water because you know that it shows how foolish your post of your poll was.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#140349 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is merely change and everything changes that is a fact and law of life. But out of that 51%, 38% believe in God, only 13 don't believe in God.
As I said, it doesn't change the fact that 51% accepted evolution.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140350 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the poll answers again SZ. only 13% believe in evolution and the big bang and God having nothing to do with any of it.
2. Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process.
13% chose (2)

I would have trouble with the wording "no part in this process" as I think God is in all things. But I still understand that Evolution is a fact (common use of the term).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140351 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm don't take it literally as in like they say the earth is a circle so you take it literally thinking are saying it is flat. DUH!!

Circles are flat.

Squares are flat.

Triangles are flat.

Spheres are 3D
Cubes are 3D....

Why were the terms for circle and disk used instead of the word for sphere?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#140352 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is merely change and everything changes that is a fact and law of life. But out of that 51%, 38% believe in God, only 13 don't believe in God.
No, evolution is not just change. Your poll shows that 51% believe in common descent, that is what the theory of evolution claims.

If you want to believe that your god had a hand in it that does not bother me. As long as no unsupportable statements are made about the necessity of your god's hand in it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140353 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>

So? Many people who believe in God also acknowledge evolution. Nearly all scientists that believe in God acknowledge evolution.

It will matter more what people think once they have learned to think.
FREE SERVANT

Ashburn, VA

#140354 Jul 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
I am going to ask this question again:
If 45% of the American people thought that it was possible to run a car on water would you think that would be a good excuse to teach that in school?
By the way, quite a few people were fooled by the "hydrogen boost" systems that were being marketed when the price of gas rose suddenly under George Bush. There are people who still believe in these even though all professional tests of those systems show that they have no positive effect.
Have you ever heard of an engine that will run on hydrogen?

“HATRED EATS THE SOUL OF”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

THE HATER -- NOT THE HATED

#140355 Jul 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You dodged my other question. What was your point?
So you found a poll that shows that 45% of the American public is wrong about a subject. Big whoop.
You won't answer my question about cars running on water because you know that it shows how foolish your post of your poll was.
Read the last part of the post you responded to. I addressed your question of cars. And ad far as my point, that is simple and was explained in my post. My point was you misread it!
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#140356 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm don't take it literally as in like they say the earth is a circle so you take it literally thinking are saying it is flat. DUH!!
Yea, it must have been flat, but wouldn't that be flat as we look at the moon or earth, as in its upright position, so that everyone and everything would slide down to the bottom and fall off the earth? Lmao

These Evo morons never think before they run off at the mouth.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140357 Jul 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL you reminded me of this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =O2C1lPlFB7kXX

I bet Jim LOVES shinny stuff.

Level 5

#140358 Jul 2, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said, it doesn't change the fact that 51% accepted evolution.
I agreed. But only 13% do not believe in God. I think that many of that 13% must be the people on here as much as you all say God is fake, God is a myth, God does not exist, etc etc. You being one of them

Level 5

#140359 Jul 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
So? Many people who believe in God also acknowledge evolution. Nearly all scientists that believe in God acknowledge evolution.
It will matter more what people think once they have learned to think.
What is funny is I have never said I did not believe in evolution. I said I believe God created life and earth then has stood back and let us change to become what we have became without his interference.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#140361 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the last part of the post you responded to. I addressed your question of cars. And ad far as my point, that is simple and was explained in my post. My point was you misread it!
No, you dodged the question on cars with a lame excuse. You never answered my first question at all about what was your point.

And I addressed the fact that I first I misread your post. Restating that fact is a red herring. Please try to fight your natural tendency to be dishonest.

So let's ignore the car question for now, it is obvious why you don't want to answer that question.

So what was your point about bringing up the numbers from that Gallop Poll?

We are well aware how poorly educated the American public is.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#140362 Jul 2, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I agreed. But only 13% do not believe in God. I think that many of that 13% must be the people on here as much as you all say God is fake, God is a myth, God does not exist, etc etc. You being one of them
Nowhere in your poll does it say that 13% of the people don't believe in god. Now you have misread it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#140363 Jul 2, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever heard of an engine that will run on hydrogen?

Yes. What about it?
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#140364 Jul 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet Jim LOVES shinny stuff.
Did you know the insurance companies and their lawyers use your sickness, to punish people they don't like?
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#140365 Jul 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You were being mocked, again.
Did you know the insurance companies and their lawyers use your sickness, to punish people they don't like?

I'm even going to prove it to everyone here dogshit!

Level 5

#140366 Jul 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere in your poll does it say that 13% of the people don't believe in god. Now you have misread it.
2. Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process.

13% chose (2)

Pretty much they don't believe in God if they don't believe God had anything to do with it. Why would they believe in God if they think he had nothing to do with anything?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 28 min Aura Mytha 133,645
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 4 hr Kong_ 626
How would creationists explain... 5 hr TurkanaBoy 393
Science News (Sep '13) 5 hr positronium 2,944
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Dec 22 Chimney1 13,624
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... Dec 20 nobody 7
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) Dec 19 Zach 4
More from around the web