Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,841)

Showing posts 136,801 - 136,820 of171,209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

This piece is called, how to think/teach

How to think/teach

Before you write, think of the questions you want to ask, but before you ask them, you should try to answer your own questions, but in so doing, you should look twice as hard at disproving them.

If you can easily answer or should i say counter
your own questions, then ya got nuthin.

That's why looking for everything that is not said, is sooo important. When you can google a question and the answers the net gives are vague or not there, its time for you to start doing some real searching in different ways, like asking your questions in your searches, differently or better yet, coming up with your own reasoning and either hypothesis or if you can offer intelligent reasoning, your own theories.

If no one can counter your theories reasoning, then they are solid, until science proves them wrong.

Having discussions are great, it can spur so much, if you question every tiny detail. Most of the time people just repeat what they've heard, because they're too lazy to search before they run their mouth or they only do a half baked search.

Know your weaknesses. Mine is chemistry and things that might take years of study, to fully understand most that is spoken of, right off the top of people's heads.

In the following, when you look twice as hard at disproving your own questions, most times you find new and tougher questions to ask.

Re-reading your own work can many times bring new thoughts, just as writing your own work.

Before you write, think of the questions you want to ask, but before you ask them, you should try to answer your own questions, but in so doing, you should look twice as hard at disproving them.

There are more ways to prove or disprove your points, but sometimes its best to concentrate on one facet right now, because that will take a whole lot of focus and mistakes, before your confidence and abilities grow.

Your first real learning, is to challenge everything and everyone that you think you know and refine that.

If you'd like to start a discussion, do so by asking questions, because most people like it when they feel they can answer something. Many may take that as a sign of weakness, but the more practice you get, the better you can get. Key word,--can.

Some can debate and some can't. However, you can always learn more, just by reading or listening and then challenge it yourself, in your own privacy. If you find something, pose it, you may find your strengths yet.

If you do not challenge what you think of as authority, then it might be fear that holds you back. However, to truly debate, you are debating authority at every moment, as the net allows.

Build your confidence in private, against those you fear but then, try to put yourself on their place, and look for all the weaknesses you can in your own work. Use the power in your voice when making statements aimed at the figure you use as authority. It takes time, but keeping a sharp mind requires due diligence.:-) oh yea, people that rely on big words and spelling, usually try to bully people, because your mind gathers what is most important to itself.

Never let big words and spelling by others intimidate or deter you, the way in which you think is what matters. However, do watch your spelling and improve it as the years go by, just as your vocabulary.

Many people that can't answer a question get mean, using name calling and childish innuendo.
From then on , you know they choose to remain ignorant, lazy and childish. Those that give reason and spirited debate are worth much to your learning and your children's, because what you learn, you pass on to your entire lineage.

Much of the time I re-read my own work, out loud, putting emphasis where its needed. This helps not only with confidence for those wanting to challenge authority, but for some reason, it can help to spur new thoughts. No, I can't prove that, but it rings true for me personally.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

One way or another wrote:
How to think/teach
If you can easily answer or should i say counter
your own questions, then ya got nuthin.
That's why looking for everything that is not said, is sooo important. When you can google a question and the answers the net gives are vague or not there, its time for you to start doing some real searching in different ways, like asking your questions in your searches, differently or better yet, coming up with your own reasoning and either hypothesis or if you can offer intelligent reasoning, your own theories.
If no one can counter your theories reasoning, then they are solid, until science proves them wrong.
Having discussions are great, it can spur so much, if you question every tiny detail. Most of the time people just repeat what they've heard, because they're too lazy to search before they run their mouth or they only do a half baked search.
Know your weaknesses. Mine is chemistry and things that might take years of study, to fully understand most that is spoken of, right off the top of people's heads.
In the following, when you look twice as hard at disproving your own questions, most times you find new and tougher questions to ask.
Re-reading your own work can many times bring new thoughts, just as writing your own work.
If you do not challenge what you think of as authority, then it might be fear that holds you back. However, to truly debate, you are debating authority at every moment, as the net allows.
Build your confidence in private, against those you fear but then, try to put yourself on their place, and look for all the weaknesses you can in your own work. Use the power in your voice when making statements aimed at the figure you use as authority. It takes time, but keeping a sharp mind requires due diligence.:-) oh yea, people that rely on big words and spelling, usually try to bully people, because your mind gathers what is most important to itself.
Never let big words and spelling by others intimidate or deter you, the way in which you think is what matters. However, do watch your spelling and improve it as the years go by, just as your vocabulary.
Many people that can't answer a question get mean, using name calling and childish innuendo.
From then on , you know they choose to remain ignorant, lazy and childish. Those that give reason and spirited debate are worth much to your learning and your children's, because what you learn, you pass on to your entire lineage.
Much of the time I re-read my own work, out loud, putting emphasis where its needed. This helps not only with confidence for those wanting to challenge authority, but for some reason, it can help to spur new thoughts. No, I can't prove that, but it rings true for me personally.

What Jimbo is trying to say is that he really does not get much of what is told to him here.

Get a good education, that is the foundation. You cannot invent calculus if you don't know basic math. You cannot write like Shakespeare if you cannot construct sentences. You will never unlock the mysteries of the universe without knowing basic physics and how it is applied. Once you know what is known in your field of interest then you are in position to add to or question that knowledge.

It is not a matter of taking stabs in the dark as to what a French sonnet means if you are well versed in French language and culture.

You actually know.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

From the guy who dropped out of high school and hasn't had even the slightest experience with education as a profession.

As my friend, Chop Todd says "Anything is possible when you don't know what you're taking about."

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What Jimbo is trying to say is that he really does not get much of what is told to him here.
Ryan's not interest in 'getting it'. He spouts off his nonsense and then takes it as proof he is brilliant because everyone conspires against him. Everything is a conspiracy in his mind and every imagined conspiracy is his proof he's right.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Your a liar. If your not a liar, go find your post and present it or get your researcher,---kong to get it.
You are the one who made the lying, slanderous accusation. You go find it, or STFU.

I know what I said. You cannot even remember, obviously.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

I see another idiot who thinks big red crosses count as a refutation.

Three guesses as to whom, eh Jimbo?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

Time tells all---
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

I am going to try to find some science piece that I can use to explain as well as I can, the thought processes I have, in tearing a piece apart and then finding all I can, to write something new or reveal how something is wrong from my perspective, unless one of you have something.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

I am going to try to find some science piece that I can use to explain as well as I can, the thought processes I have, in tearing a piece apart and then finding all I can, to write something new or reveal how something is wrong from my perspective, unless one of you have something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusions

Hope that helps.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.[1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.

Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or mental illness, although they are not tied to any particular disease and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental).

“Pope & President”

Since: Aug 12

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Dogen just you and me then son.

“Pope & President”

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Dogen wrote:
A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.[1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.
Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or mental illness, although they are not tied to any particular disease and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental).
Dogen applied your theories yet to anything worthwhile?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

the dark lord wrote:
Dogen just you and me then son.

I'll talk if you wanna talk halfway serious.

I think you are capable. Of course I am the consummate optimist.

“Pope & President”

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

science of love, is obviously the Karma Sutra.

the science of supernatural that has been done already.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

the dark lord wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogen applied your theories yet to anything worthwhile?

Did a study a number of years ago on patients discharged from a state mental hospital and correlates to their outcomes.

Lately my work is more the applied variety. My theories are the evidence based ones in my field.

You?

“Pope & President”

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

i forget the actual statement

but c 3.8..........

light speed has considerably quickened in less than one hundred years

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

the dark lord wrote:
science of love, is obviously the Karma Sutra.
the science of supernatural that has been done already.

Nice.

I was wrong.

Later.

“Pope & President”

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Did a study a number of years ago on patients discharged from a state mental hospital and correlates to their outcomes.
Lately my work is more the applied variety. My theories are the evidence based ones in my field.
You?
had my share of inmates to mental hospitals

“Pope & President”

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

president is doing all he can to keep
a mensa IQ 225 score outer maine if you dig.

“Pope & President”

Ilford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

prime minister gets to hear in a short conversation
with a bard "you new to this but your learn". "first Brit to beat IQ"
"what pills is he on..."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 136,801 - 136,820 of171,209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••