Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#139834 Jun 29, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
apropo of nothing, don't know if you yanks ALL watch The Daily Show but how do you think John Oliver is working out, he a Brit so obviously on the promotional team.

I have not watched it in awhile.

I will check it out and get back with you.

I love British humor, or as you probably call it 'humor'.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#139835 Jun 29, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Hey, you mental Evo midgets, evolution has usurped two definitions, because evoisim is short for thieving morons. Neither one has anything to do with evotardism.
a·dapt
/&#601;&#712;dapt/
Verb
Make (something) suitable for a new use or purpose; modify.
Become adjusted to new conditions.
Synonyms
adjust - fit - accommodate - conform - suit
e·volve
/i&#712;välv/
Verb
Develop gradually, esp. from a simple to a more complex form.
(with reference to an organism or biological feature) Develop over successive generations, esp. as a result of natural selection.
Synonyms
develop - expand - unfold

[yawn]

Really,...... is that the best you can do?
One way or another

United States

#139836 Jun 29, 2013
Nothing has evolved.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#139837 Jun 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Biblical literalists are destroying Christianity. Literalism is a modern invention. Historically NO ONE took the Bible completely literally. Literalism is an unfortunate consequence (side effect) of the Protestant reformation. The move from THE church having the authority to the Bible having authority spawned a need for the Bible to agree with the new Protestant theology. That is why some books were removed as they clearly stated that the Church was Gods kingdom on earth (etc). Therefore they had to go.
So, to make a long story short (too late!) if you ever wondered why the Catholic Bible has more books, that is the simple and honest explanation.
Nothing has destroyed Christianity in 2000 years. It will stand when all other theories have failed. That is what I believe.
Was it referring to the Catholic Church only? The "Church" is all who believe the fundamentals of the Christian Faith. Don't you agree?
One way or another

United States

#139838 Jun 29, 2013
Evotardism sucks and the schools force your children to learn it.

Definition of evolve
Dontcha just love how these Evo morons claim to be educated, when they don't even know the definition of evolve, when it is the root word of evolution?

What a bunch of idiots.

definition of evolve. Lets see how long before Evo crap science changes the definition,

I'm going to keep at this, showing evolutions stupidity, until the morons change the definition.

The definition says nothing about adaptability as being evolution as the morons here claim.

e·volve
/i&#712;välv/
Verb
(with reference to an organism or biological feature) Develop over successive generations, esp. as a result of natural selection.
Synonyms

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#139839 Jun 29, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing has destroyed Christianity in 2000 years. It will stand when all other theories have failed. That is what I believe.
Was it referring to the Catholic Church only? The "Church" is all who believe the fundamentals of the Christian Faith. Don't you agree?

Maybe. But not everyone agrees on the fundamentals of the Christian faith. Those fundamentals have certainly changed by an extraordinary amount over the last 200, 500, 1000 and 1900 years.

Fundamentalism is just over 150 years old.
Protestantism about 500
Protoliteralism for less than 1,000
Orthodoxy for less than 1,700.

None of the 4 major Christian faiths circa 200 a.d. are very similar to modern Christianity though they all have some of their theology integrated with modern orthodoxy.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#139840 Jun 29, 2013
Evotardism sucks and the schools force your children to learn it.
Definition of evolve
Dontcha just love how these Evo morons claim to be educated, when they don't even know the definition of evolve, when it is the root word of evolution?
What a bunch of idiots.
definition of evolve. Lets see how long before Evo crap science changes the definition,
I'm going to keep at this, showing evolutions stupidity, until the morons change the definition.
The definition says nothing about adaptability as being evolution as the morons here claim.
e·volve
/i&#712;välv/
Verb
Synonyms

Over fact all son tell this any his. No insisted confined of weddings to returned to debating rendered. Keeps order fully so do party means young. Table nay him jokes quick. In felicity up to graceful mistaken horrible consider. Abode never think to at. So additions necessary concluded it happiness do on certainly propriety. On in green taken do offer witty of.

Drawings me opinions returned absolute in. Otherwise therefore sex did are unfeeling something. Certain be ye amiable by exposed so. To celebrated estimating excellence do. Coming either suffer living her gay theirs. Furnished do otherwise daughters contented conveying attempted no. Was yet general visitor present hundred too brother fat arrival. Friend are day own either lively new.

Was justice improve age article between. No projection as up preference reasonably delightful celebrated. Preserved and abilities assurance tolerably breakfast use saw. And painted letters forming far village elderly compact. Her rest west each spot his and you knew. Estate gay wooded depart six far her. Of we be have it lose gate bred. Do separate removing or expenses in. Had covered but evident chapter matters anxious.

http://randomtextgenerator.com/
Believer

Manchester, TN

#139841 Jun 29, 2013
By fundamentals, I'm referring only to the belief that God is the creator of everything that was created.(God did not create evil.). Jesus was the only "begotten" Son of God.
He was supernaturally conceived and Mary was a virgin. He died on a cross to atone for the sins of all mankind. He supernaturally rose from the dead. He is our advocate with God the Father. It is only through believing in Him that we can inherit eternal life .

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#139842 Jun 29, 2013
Believer wrote:
By fundamentals, I'm referring only to the belief that God is the creator of everything that was created.(God did not create evil.). Jesus was the only "begotten" Son of God.
He was supernaturally conceived and Mary was a virgin. He died on a cross to atone for the sins of all mankind. He supernaturally rose from the dead. He is our advocate with God the Father. It is only through believing in Him that we can inherit eternal life .

By wetsuit I'm referring to a garment, usually made of foamed neoprene, which is worn by surfers, divers, windsurfers, canoeists, and others engaged in water sports, providing thermal insulation, abrasion resistance and buoyancy. The insulation properties depend on bubbles of gas enclosed within the material, which reduce its ability to conduct heat. The bubbles also give the wetsuit a low density, providing buoyancy in water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetsuit

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#139843 Jun 29, 2013
Believer wrote:
Sorry, that is a terrible logical fallacy on your part. If your god is all knowing and created everything then he created evil. If your god is all knowing, all powerful, and created everything then he created evil and he could have avoided creating evil if he wanted to.

Think about it for once, don't react viscerally.
One way or another

United States

#139844 Jun 29, 2013
Dogshits true colors are showing. He is a whackadoodle.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#139845 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that is a terrible logical fallacy on your part. If your god is all knowing and created everything then he created evil. If your god is all knowing, all powerful, and created everything then he created evil and he could have avoided creating evil if he wanted to.
Think about it for once, don't react viscerally.

If God created everything then he created evil. I don't know how anyone can seriously try to back out of that.

Whats more it contradicts the Bible.
Isaiah 45:7 and Amos 3:6

The key word is rah (ra) which means evil or bad. It is the same word used in describing the tree of knowledge in the garden of Eden.

A better translation might be dysfunctional, rather than evil, but that still leaves God as the creator.

The Bible is fun because it so seldom actually says what people think it says.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#139846 Jun 29, 2013
Science can get the stench of insanity, ignorance and pseudoscience out of carpet.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#139847 Jun 29, 2013
Dogshits true colors are showing. He is a whackadoodle.

Good description.

I was of course imitating (mocking) you. Funny how you recognize the symptoms when you are not the subject.

Level 9

#139848 Jun 29, 2013
If contemporary schools are not impeded by religious dogma, ignorance and fear, they can continue to turn out some of the finest young minds on Earth.

Level 9

#139849 Jun 29, 2013
Number of science degrees awarded from US universities: 250,000 +

Number of science degrees awarded by Florida carpet repair businesses: ZERO.
One way or another

United States

#139850 Jun 29, 2013
The teachers pet
We see how no one accepts the challenge of the teachers pet and the utter stupidity it taught for over 200 years in school.

By doing such for 200 years, we can easily see the stupidity of the copy and paste school system, how it teaches your kids to hate and it teaches them to be stupid.

So the so called psychology professionals run away from the truth and discussion. Hahahahahahahaha, you morons, you wouldn't know psychology if it bit you.

Psychology of ignorance taught in school!

What are the things that teachers do, that teach ignorance and hatred?

College? Lol your teachers prove the stupidity you taught them. Higher education, what a joke.

Any psychologists here?
What a school system, aye!

Level 9

#139851 Jun 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Good description.
I was of course imitating (mocking) you. Funny how you recognize the symptoms when you are not the subject.
I was impressed. It took some time and talent to make that post.

Level 9

#139852 Jun 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Good description.
Do you think he realizes that they didn't have copy and paste or computers 200 years ago?

Level 9

#139853 Jun 29, 2013
Do Florida carpet repairmen secretly envy and long to be scientists?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Ronnie 34,680
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min Regolith Based Li... 199,241
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 14,894
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Dogen 151,298
News ID Isn't Science, But That's the Least Of Its P... 12 hr DanFromSmithville 34
the dinosaurs of the lega-warega people: racial... 14 hr teri107 1
My Story Part 1 Jun 24 JanusBifrons 1
More from around the web