Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180300 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#139400 Jun 27, 2013

Level 9

Everett, WA

#139401 Jun 27, 2013
And of course another quote, from another movie, that I love:

"I got better."

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#139402 Jun 27, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously SZ, Dogen, mikeF etc
I IMPLORE you to move to the UK, our NHS system may not be perfect but your health system seems to be staffed by medics that don't even get educated in the basics.
Good point. But I'd have to leave Florida beaches, bikinis and weather.
Mugwump wrote:
I'm actually in US for a few weeks in Sept - and am online now ordering suitcases of medicines, bandages , scalpels and various do it yourself books on surgery and a machine that goes 'ping'(prize for first to get the reference)
Ok may have to pay extra on the luggage allowance - but seriously ,,,,,
Monty Python.

Where about are you heading?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#139403 Jun 27, 2013
And I could seriously consider moving to England for the weather.

I live in the Pacific Northwest. If you had a young daughter you probably saw a movie that was supposed to be based upon a city one my states west coast. It is not quite as bad as where I live. We have on average 180 rainy days a year and 160 sunny days. Now is not a good time. It is almost summer here. Summer sneaks in around the 4th of July. I still remember one July the 3rd when I had to have my heat on. I hear even jolly old England is not that bad.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139404 Jun 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
And of course another quote, from another movie, that I love:
"I got better."
The newt.
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#139405 Jun 27, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"Meaning of Life".(Birth). I have the DVD.
Where in the States you travelling to?
Prize to Kong (they maybe split with SZ on a technicality)

Joking apart , surely HTS isn't a doctor/med student - I know it decades ago but genetics was first year stuff pretty much for anyone doing a biology related degree.

Oh and Vegas for six days with some friends from UK (not entirely my scene but is a fun group)- then want to do a bit of travelling on own - thinking NY and hooking up with friend in Chicago

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139406 Jun 27, 2013
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#139407 Jun 27, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. But I'd have to leave Florida beaches, bikinis and weather.
Hey,we are quite liberal here in UK, if you want to wear a bikini it's cool.

:-)

Level 9

Everett, WA

#139408 Jun 27, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Prize to Kong (they maybe split with SZ on a technicality)
Joking apart , surely HTS isn't a doctor/med student - I know it decades ago but genetics was first year stuff pretty much for anyone doing a biology related degree.
Oh and Vegas for six days with some friends from UK (not entirely my scene but is a fun group)- then want to do a bit of travelling on own - thinking NY and hooking up with friend in Chicago
Nah, give the award to Kong. He gave the full answer.

Isn't it a bit strange that most science nerds in the U.S. are also Python fans?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#139409 Jun 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Nah, give the award to Kong. He gave the full answer.

Isn't it a bit strange that most science nerds in the U.S. are also Python fans?
The Larch.

The.

Larch.
One way or another

United States

#139410 Jun 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
how much spin does the moon have?
Look at earths moon, it's rotational rate around the earth and its barycenter is, very slow, 1.03 km/s just as the moons spin rate on its own axis is about 13 miles per hour. Notice that the moon has very little atmosphere and very little gravity. Both axial spin and rotation around earth are slow and the atmosphere and gravity are very weak.
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#139411 Jun 27, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at earths moon, it's rotational rate around the earth and its barycenter is, very slow, 1.03 km/s just as the moons spin rate on its own axis is about 13 miles per hour. Notice that the moon has very little atmosphere and very little gravity. Both axial spin and rotation around earth are slow and the atmosphere and gravity are very weak.
But your theory fails in 2 out of 7 observations

Great work

(Notice how he never responds to posts that point out the slightest problem with his new science)

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#139412 Jun 27, 2013
<quoted text>
The moon's gravitation is directly related to its mass. Rotational speed (or lack of rather, as it is tidally locked to Earth) is irrelevant. That was the point that you so deftly missed. "Very weak" atmosphere? Never mind. It probably has something to do with the tachyon drive built into your alien implants.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#139413 Jun 27, 2013
the dark lord wrote:
<quoted text>
29.456% on its axis: 426rpm
You're mistaken.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#139414 Jun 27, 2013
The Moon's gravity is not "very weak". It is roughly one sixth that of Earth's. It rotates once an orbit, as others have pointed out it is tidally locked to the Earth. So it has one thirtieth the rotation and one sixth of the gravity of Earth. It seems your "theory" is failing.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#139415 Jun 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, give the award to Kong. He gave the full answer.
LOL! You think that this is at all palatable to religies?
One way or another

United States

#139416 Jun 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The moon's gravitation is directly related to its mass. Rotational speed (or lack of rather, as it is tidally locked to Earth) is irrelevant. That was the point that you so deftly missed. "Very weak" atmosphere? Never mind. It probably has something to do with the tachyon drive built into your alien implants.
You have no proof, but you can always play with your tachyon drive.
One way or another

United States

#139417 Jun 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
The Moon's gravity is not "very weak". It is roughly one sixth that of Earth's. It rotates once an orbit, as others have pointed out it is tidally locked to the Earth. So it has one thirtieth the rotation and one sixth of the gravity of Earth. It seems your "theory" is failing.
All ya gotta do is show proof.:-)

Level 9

Everett, WA

#139418 Jun 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction, the Moon's gravity is directly related to its mass divided by its radius squared, or g =(KM)/R^2. The Moons mass is much less than 1/6 of that of Earth. I am not sure of its density.

An interesting aspect of Earth's gravity is that if you dug a hole all the way to the center the force of gravity would slowly climb for the first half of the journey. and peak at the Mantle/Outer Core boundary. The acceleration is roughly 10.8 m/sec^2 there. This occurs because the Earth is not of uniform density. The core is much denser than the mantle.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#139419 Jun 27, 2013
<quoted text>
All ya gotta do is show proof.:-)
You mean evidence don't you?

The acceleration at the surface of the Moon can be calculated by several methods. We know how big it is. By observing the orbit of a satellite around the Moon and timing it we can "weigh" the Moon. it can also be checked by measuring how long it takes feather to fall on the Moon. I am sure there are other ways too. Using Newtonian physics they all give us the same answer.

Are those good enough for you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The “cumulative evidence” problem 48 min jla2w 26
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Samuel Patre 169,717
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Wisdom of Ages 95,341
Genetic Study proves 90 percent of animals appe... 5 hr JUST SAYING 60
E equals MC squared 6 hr Jim Ryan 15
List what words of Jesus (the Creator) you evol... 12 hr Big Al 93
Hawaiian Volcanic Eruptions and Prophetic Catac... Sat Rose_NoHo 19