Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
135,741 - 135,760 of 172,073 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing would be near the pulsar after it exploded and sent that material off into space, never to return, because there is nothing to stop that material once blasted,--according to science you moron.
Here's another one of your stupid mistakes. If the nebula is expanding, tell us why, if a black hole is not feeding it, what is?

No one is this drooling stupid. It is not possible.

Did you read the post? It is CURRENTLY expanding at 1500 kps.

It is getting bigger (expanding outward) EVERY SECOND.

Aura Mytha wrote: Why do you think they look like they do then? Could it be because they blasted material millions of miles away from themselves? Duh! It's 13 light years across and expanding @ 1500 kps 13 light years = 7.64204976 10^13 miles That's 13x 5.878625 trillion miles.
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
That was the other link, moron.

Lmao. You're a Lying piece of garbage, Dogshit.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>Distance time speed.
Calculate EXACTLY, using "say a million miles from earth".

HOW would you determine the distance?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
A black hole would keep feeding the nebula and as this nebula keeps expanding, if a black hole is not feeding it, then either you or science explain what keeps making that nebula expand?

Black holes do not feed a nebula. Black holes consume matter and energy.

The explosion made this nebula expand.

By your own words an explosion explodes outward and there is nothing to stop it.

The nebula, a result of an explosion, is continuing to expand exactly as you would predict.

One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Black holes are deep gravitational wells. They don't "feed" anything.
Neither you nor science can prove such. Tell us, what is causing the Crab Nebula to keep expanding, if a black hole is not feeding it?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text> Well then moron, you get the booby prize and the chance to prove you're an even bigger moron than dogen. I said light cannot carry images, dogen said they could. Planets have light, but they can't take a picture and send it to the scientists, just as you morons can't use a flashlight to send a pic. Thanks for showing what idiots schools produce.

WTF?

This is the dumbest thing ever said in the history of ever.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The initial explosion would nucklehead.
Then explain how.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is this drooling stupid. It is not possible.
Did you read the post? It is CURRENTLY expanding at 1500 kps.
It is getting bigger (expanding outward) EVERY SECOND.
Aura Mytha wrote: Why do you think they look like they do then? Could it be because they blasted material millions of miles away from themselves? Duh! It's 13 light years across and expanding @ 1500 kps 13 light years = 7.64204976 10^13 miles That's 13x 5.878625 trillion miles.
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
Then tell us azzhole, where is the new material coming from?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Liar. Here is the original link and a couple more interesting ones on the same subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetar

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/Crab-Nebu...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Neither you nor science can prove such. Tell us, what is causing the Crab Nebula to keep expanding, if a black hole is not feeding it?

Invisible purple ping-pong balls.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Calculate EXACTLY, using "say a million miles from earth".
HOW would you determine the distance?
Ok, I'll say it slow. Science will know when to fire the laser, because they will know the speed of the satellite, times, time,equals distance,or as dogen said, by lag time.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Then explain how.

A number of us have.

Just as the aftermath of the big bang continues to expand outward, the remnant of the crab nebula continues to expand (rapidly) outward and will continue to do so.

Explain to us again that you are not a paranoid megalomaniac.

You utterly failed to do that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Then tell us azzhole, where is the new material coming from?

There is no new material.

What makes you think there is any new material there?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Black holes do not feed a nebula. Black holes consume matter and energy.
The explosion made this nebula expand.
By your own words an explosion explodes outward and there is nothing to stop it.
The nebula, a result of an explosion, is continuing to expand exactly as you would predict.
So according to your stupidity, it exploded and all the material just stopped there. Lmao you're an idiot. When matter is blasted in a vacuum, it doesn't stop traveling in that vacuum.

Well, according to you morons, it does. Thanks for the laughs, keep em comin.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Like a ripples on a pond that has no shore or little friction, what would cause the ripples from expanding?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Then simply explain how the light from those distant worlds bring those pics to us and one more thing, how come we can see these galaxies, as soon as we put our eye to the eye piece?
You're a fruking idiot that will never have a thought all your own, even when you say something with relevance, because you obviously can't explain it. You keep talking moron, its good for laughs.
I asked first

Hmmm skipping my previous post again - you know the ones where I asked you to point out the EVIDENCE in any of your posts, rather than just speculation.

This, strangely enough suggests you are NOT as dumb as you make out - you selectively ignore posts that if responded to would force you to actually examine your science rationally.

But, to answer your questions

A) the light (photons) travel from the source and cause chemical reactions in the photoreceptors cells in the eye which the brain 'translates' into images after being relayed via the optic nerve.(the same thing broadly happens with telescopes, cameras etc)

B) the reason we see image as soon as we put our eye to the eye piece because light(photons) are constantly traveling from the source to our eyes/telescopes/cameras etc, however as it takes a finite time for the photos to arrive the image we perceive is that of the source object when the photons started the journey.

Simple really

NOW HERE IS THE BIT THAT WILL GUARANTEE JIMBO WON'T ANSWER THIS POST.

If your 'light theory' is correct and light dosent travel to us but instead we 'see out' to the distant planet or whatever ......

How come we DO (as you say) see the image IMMEDIATLY we put our eye to the eyepiece, rather as having a delay as we would expect if your theory (well hypothesis ... Well innane ramblings) were correct.

I know you won't address the above as have actually asked this several times before, I even designed a simple experiment you can do at night in your garden to test your 'science'

You ignored it then - you will ignore it now

(See - not as dumb as you sound)
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
This is the dumbest thing ever said in the history of ever.
HEY !!!!!!!!
My lawyers will be in touch
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
F&@k!!!
That has to be the stupidest thing said on the Internet EVER.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Then explain how.
Geeze Jim , I will a little.

The explosion has zero to little resistance in a vacuum, the exploding star sends material out , stars being highly compressed from massive gravity contain hundreds of thousands of times the amount of matter a planet does. Now imagine a star 10s to a hundred times the size of our sun. It contains massive amounts of matter, and the vastness of space makes this massiveness appear small from great distance. The explosion of such a star could become the size of a galaxy in dust and energies, we see them in several wavelengths of EM emissions and optically as an expanding dust cloud. Is this so hard to picture?

If you turned a moon to fine dust, how large could the dust cloud become?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Newton's first Law of Motion.
The material cast off from the supernova is continuing to move outward by the inertia imparted to it when the star expelled its outer layers. No more material is being added by a gravitational singularity (there isn't one evidenced in the Crab Nebula, anyway. You may be confusing it with a RELATIVE black hole, which is not the same) or by the neutronium corpse of the imploded star.
Believer

Manchester, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
OMGOSH, I admire you standing up for your belief in God. However, calling someone a lying piece of garbage dogshit might not be the best choice of words when doing so.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••