Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,787)

Showing posts 135,721 - 135,740 of171,372
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Pulsars don't quit spinning, even when they die,but when they die, they don't spin fast at all and they lose their light.
You actually make a point. Do you know what that point is?
Interesting - you responded to this post , but ignore the ones when I ask you to point out the specific lines in you posts about new science that are evidence rather than conjecture .

Go figure

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're falling prey to the classic fallacy of the false alternative. Like your mentor, Dick Dawkins, you attempt to validate the evo-fairy by sarcastic references to Genesis.
How flimsy does a scientific hypothesis have to be when it's proponents feel a need to constantly make anti-religious slurs in order to feel that they are validating their pet little theory?
Are you seriously proposing Genesis as a valid scientifically supported theory?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
You moron, in an explosion, everything gets blasted out and away and in space, nothing stops moving.
That's according to science, idiot.
Oh there's a moron here alright.
Got pictures of it?
I provided you with one.
You confuse blasting away on a small scale, but the universe is quite large and blasting far away seen from far far away seems like what?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting - you responded to this post , but ignore the ones when I ask you to point out the specific lines in you posts about new science that are evidence rather than conjecture .
Go figure
Because the post in question was worth something. What was it? You made a point. How does that point matter?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>Science doesn't prove speed of light, even when it could, just by installing a light laser on a satellite and when it got say a million miles from earth, fire the laser at its destination. Science refuses to prove speed of light, because it knows it can't.
Oh!

An experiment!

And how would we confirm that this satellite WAS "say a million miles from earth, fire the laser at its destination"?
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Well then moron, you get the booby prize and the chance to prove you're an even bigger moron than dogen.
I said light cannot carry images, dogen said they could. Planets have light, but they can't take a picture and send it to the scientists, just as you morons can't use a flashlight to send a pic.
Thanks for showing what idiots schools produce.
F&@k!!!

That has to be the stupidest thing said on the Internet EVER.
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say that I believed in Spiderman?
Now you are being dishonest and that is against the rules for you.
Once again, there is just as much evidence for Spiderman as there is for your God. The question was put to you, why do you believe in your God?
And remember, the monkeys are your relatives too. You cannot insult me by implying I am related to monkeys. Why are you ashamed of your relatives?
Oh, SZ! Please lighten up a little. I guess that is one reason people get so angry in these debates because without body language and voice inflection much of what is said in jest taken seriously.
You believe I am, as are you, descended from apes and monkeys. I believe you, like me, are created by a God who loves you.(I couldn't sign off last night without letting you know that. I just read this post that you must have written before seeing mine.
I believe God has a sense of humor. I'm sure Jesus had to have. I assume you have one also, but maybe not where evolution is concerned.
You remind me of what people use to call "fire and brimstone" preachers. They were passionate about what they believed; but mostly they just appeared to be arrogant and angry.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Oh there's a moron here alright.
Got pictures of it?
I provided you with one.
You confuse blasting away on a small scale, but the universe is quite large and blasting far away seen from far far away seems like what?
So they got a pic of a star exploding, that proves nothing. If you think otherwise, prove how it means something in this instance.

Do you really think I'm going to treat you with respect when you act like an idiot follower?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
A black hole would keep feeding the nebula and as this nebula keeps expanding, if a black hole is not feeding it, then either you or science explain what keeps making that nebula expand?
Black holes are deep gravitational wells. They don't "feed" anything.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh!
An experiment!
And how would we confirm that this satellite WAS "say a million miles from earth, fire the laser at its destination"?
Distance time speed.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
F&@k!!!
It's hard to wrestle any comprehension from his ramblings, but
it makes the vaguest philosophical sense that there is an image on a slide and an image on a screen, but not an image "on" the light in between.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Dang it, that should be speed, times, time, gives you distance.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Science doesn't prove speed of light, even when it could, just by installing a light laser on a satellite and when it got say a million miles from earth, fire the laser at its destination. Science refuses to prove speed of light, because it knows it can't.

Science (technology) tests the speed of light millions of times a day.

Satellites send radio signals at the speed of light and the signal takes exactly as long as science says.

You refuse to even try to refute that because you can't.

If I tried to imitate a science illiterate, compulsive, paranoid dullard I could not do better than your posts.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Well then moron, you get the booby prize and the chance to prove you're an even bigger moron than dogen.

I said light cannot carry images, dogen said they could. Planets have light, but they can't take a picture and send it to the scientists, just as you morons can't use a flashlight to send a pic.

Thanks for showing what idiots schools produce.
Planets REFLECT light, putz.

Just like the moon.

Question: hold your hand out & look at it.

Do you see it?

Does your hand HAVE (produce) light?
Or does it REFLECT light that is available -- frrom lets say ..... THE SUN?!?!

Dumbass.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Try taking a picture with a flash light moron. Lol

Here is what you failed to respond to:

Dogen wrote: With a 4,000 character limit there is no way I can explain everything wrong with your post. But here are a few. Light has no distance limit. Light moves at 300,000 kps (9.4605284 10^12 kilometers per year) The NEAREST star to earth is 40,000,000,000,000 km (that is 40 TRILLION km) Images are made of light. When we look at the moon dark area are seen as dark because our eyes are getting fewer photons from those areas.(It isn't complicated).

Here is a picture OF a flashlight.
http://mindfulconstruct.com/wp-content/upload...

If light cannot convey an image did the camera just make something up?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
You said pulsars had flares, show us where it says that.

That was the other link, moron.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're falling prey to the classic fallacy of the false alternative. Like your mentor, Dick Dawkins, you attempt to validate the evo-fairy by sarcastic references to Genesis.
How flimsy does a scientific hypothesis have to be when it's proponents feel a need to constantly make anti-religious slurs in order to feel that they are validating their pet little theory?

You can't seem to get your mind off of religion long enough to discuss science. Why are you so obsessed?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
So they got a pic of a star exploding, that proves nothing. If you think otherwise, prove how it means something in this instance.
Do you really think I'm going to treat you with respect when you act like an idiot follower?

Ah, irony.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
F&@k!!!
Then simply explain how the light from those distant worlds bring those pics to us and one more thing, how come we can see these galaxies, as soon as we put our eye to the eye piece?

You're a fruking idiot that will never have a thought all your own, even when you say something with relevance, because you obviously can't explain it. You keep talking moron, its good for laughs.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Distance time speed.

The lag in communication from a satellite is proportion to its distance. Always has been.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 135,721 - 135,740 of171,372
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••