Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#139027 Jun 26, 2013
"A dust tail like Earth's could produce a bigger signal than a planet does. And it could alert researchers to a planet too small to see otherwise."
Earth has a dust tail not because the planet itself is particularly dusty, but rather because the whole solar system is. Interplanetary space is littered with dusty fragments of comets and colliding asteroids. When Earth orbits through this dusty environment, a tail forms in the rear, akin to swaths of fallen leaves swirling up behind a streetsweeper.
"As Earth orbits the sun, it creates a sort of shell or depression that dust particles fall into, creating a thickening of dust the tail that Earth pulls along via gravity," explains Werner. "In fact, the tail trails our planet all the way around the sun, forming a large dusty ring."

A computer simulation of Earth's dust tail/ring seen from a vantage point outside our solar system. Colors indicate density; purple is lowest, red is highest. Credit: Christopher Stark, GSFC [larger image]
Spitzer's recent observations have helped astronomers map the structure of Earth's dust tail and figure out what similar "tell-tale tails" attached to alien planets might look like.
Like our own solar system, other planetary systems are infused with dust that forms a dusty disk encircling the central star. And like Earth, exoplanets interact with their dust disk gravitationally, channeling and drawing strange features into it.
"In some stars' dust disks there are bumps, warps, rings, and offsets telling us that planets are interacting with the dust," explains Mark Clampin of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. "So we can 'follow the dust' to the planets. So far, we've seen about 20 dust disks in other solar systems. And in some of those cases, following the dust has already paid off."
Clampin, Paul Kalas, and colleagues were looking for a planet around the bright southern star Fomalhaut when they unexpectedly found a dust ring. The shape of that ring led them to their goal. "We suspected that the ring's sharp inner edge was formed by a planet gravitationally clearing out the surrounding debris," says Clampin. "We tracked the planet by this 'footprint' in the dust." (See the footprint here.)
Another Hubble image shows a dusty disk around Beta Pictoris, a star in the constellation Pictor, or "Painter's Easel," pictured below:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#139028 Jun 26, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Science claims that space is full of dust. If earths atmosphere were full of dust, it would block out the sun.
You don't think much do you. You just babble anything that comes to your copy and paste ignorance. You're not even a good liar.
It depends upon how you define "full of dust".

The amount of dust varies enormously. Between the Earth and the Sun there is quite a bit and if our whole Galaxy had that much it would be opaque. In interplanetary space, that is the space within our solar system, there are roughly 11 molecules per cubic centimeter. That is quite a lot for scientists, you on the other hand would quickly die in a vacuum that "pure". In interstellar space, that is the space between us and our nearest neighboring stars, it drops to one molecule per cubic centimeter. In intergalactic space, the space that exists between our galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy for example, it drops by about one million. There is only one molecule per cubic meter. There is very litle dust in intergalactic space. Of course even the amount of dust in intergalactic space can add up. All it takes is a lot of space, and there is a LOT of space out there.
Mugwump

UK

#139029 Jun 26, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Your misunderstanding of the properties of light is not in question, we know you are deliberately ignorant.
Doh, all light is individual photons
Double doh. Gravitation lensing is nothing to do with hubble.
Hubble is a telescope
Telescopes have lenses
DUH!!!!

Yuk , it's awful to be in jimbos mind even for a minute

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#139030 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
As I stated. Why do you spend so much time running down and going on about something you do not believe in? Don't you think your time would be more wisely spent if you promoted your believe instead of using most of your time of running God down? What is next? You going for a ban on Christmas and Easter parties that schools have for children? Start demanding that people stop telling their kids that the tooth fairy will leave them money under their pillow for the tooth they just lost? It is border a line Hitler move for constantly condemning someone because they believe differently than you. People are allowed to believe in what they want, not what you tell them to. How does it effect your life if HTS or anyone believes in God? Why does it bother you so much that they do believe In God? Why do you waste your time telling them they are stupid, ignorant, and full of BS instead of just saying you are wrong and this is what I believe and move on?
Yes that is several questions but you need to ask yourself does it really effect your life so bad on what they believe? After all when a person grows up they are smart enough to separate reality from myth and choose what they want to believe in.
Godwin.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139031 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
Yes that is several questions but you need to ask yourself does it really effect your life so bad on what they believe?
When they try to push religion into a science class, it most certainly does.
Man-on-Fire wrote:
After all when a person grows up they are smart enough to separate reality from myth and choose what they want to believe in.
Some are smart enough, yes. But some are not.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#139032 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The churches are fuller and happier at Christmas. They have to have extra services. Seriously, you are supposed to celebrate Easter more, but it does not seem that anyone does.
You are simply lying to yourself if you think it is the other way around.
Let's look at the past when Christianity did pretty much rule America. Look at popular culture in the 40's and the 50's of last century. Even then Christmas ruled as far as holidays go.
Don't forget, there could never have been a crucifixion if there had never been God coming to earth in the flesh.
The most wonderful FACT is that He really did live a sinless life and die a cruel and humiliating death for YOU to have the hope of Heaven.
If you let people and the sins we commit and the way we act keep you from going there you are of all men most deceived.

God doesn't care, I don't believe, what you or I choose to believe about science and evolution. He gave man the intelligence to think and learn and make miraculous advances in all kinds of ways.

Those out there who are still open to the possibility of God/Creator try just considering for one whole day everything that is really important in your life and ask yourself WHY .

I'm 100% certain you won't find those answers in a laboratory test tube or under a microscope or in the evidence and theories man has concocted about the fossils and the bones he digs up out of the earth.

We are in a very spiritual battle between good and evil. We cannot find cures for evil because it is not a part of the natural world or in our natural ability to understand.

There is a spiritual aspect to humans that no other animal has been given.

That may be about the only difference between us and the apes , but it is a significant difference you should think about while you still can.

Jesus said many things about Hell. Maybe there are many aspects to hell just as there are to the Earth ( fire, darkness, separation from God if that is what we choose). One thing is for certain, there will be no animals there.

There are animals in Gods kingdom. I find that comforting to know because some of the greatest blessings in our lives are the animals.(Loving them...NOT eating them!)

Have a good day, friends. PEACE

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#139033 Jun 26, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>Hubble is a telescope
Telescopes have lenses
DUH!!!!

Yuk , it's awful to be in jimbos mind even for a minute
Yes, but you WOULD have a lot of empty space in there to move around.

;-)

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#139034 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
Science claims that space is full of dust. If earths atmosphere were full of dust, it would block out the sun.
You don't think much do you. You just babble anything that comes to your copy and paste ignorance. You're not even a good liar.
Contains dust. Not full of dust. Incredibly tiny amounts of matter spread thinly. Even on the clearest day, the earth's atmosphere contains millions of time the concentration of dust that outer space does per unit volume.(That is why we have the Hubble telescope orbiting above our atmosphere. Less dust, less distortion).

Its your ignorance here that is the problem, not mine. Perhaps you can fix that by looking up the estimated concentrations of dust in outer space for yourself. Even in the very dusty gas clouds of space we call Nebulas, the amount of dust is millions of times lower than earth's atmosphere.

By the way, most of the material in outer space is not dust at all, but single atoms of hydrogen whizzing around.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#139035 Jun 26, 2013
Now that I am awake it looks like Man-on-Fire finally went to bed. I tried to get him to debate evolution on its scientific merit with him several times, but he kept wanting to argue religion.

It looks like he still is. Did he ever even attempt to argue based upon the scientific evidence, or did avoid that altogether?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139036 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof is for whiskey. Belief and faith are about God.
Have you ever had a sad heart from hurt? A gut feeling? Been in love? Missed someone? Those are all feelings.
Can you show evidence of any of that? If you can't then you must be a liar and it is made up BS.
We have emotions therefore god is real. Brilliant, huh?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139037 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
Disproving the God of Genesis does not disprove god?
Only if you swallow Genesis hook, line and sinker. Otherwise, no, it does not disprove god.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#139038 Jun 26, 2013
Believer wrote:
We are in a very spiritual battle between good and evil. We cannot find cures for evil because it is not a part of the natural world or in our natural ability to understand.
Have you ever TRIED to understand evil in human terms? Or did you just decide that it is beyond comprehension?

I have no problem understanding evil purely in human and psychological terms, as far as I can tell. Even such evils as killing a whole tribe down to the little boys to clear the land for your own people, and telling your soldiers that God commanded it because those people were BAD, and the soldiers believing you and going right out and doing it...

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139039 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know of people who's belief in God are so staunch that they have room for nothing but their myth. And that effects you how?
The classroom, remember? You are familiar with Dover, yes?
Man-on-Fire wrote:
And being Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, whom you believe is a lie. So again why do you give Christmas gifts instead of just calling it a stupid day saying Christmas should not exist for it is all about lies. So here is a science book not as a gift but because you are ignorant and need to learn something.
The holiday existed long before Christianity.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139040 Jun 26, 2013
Believer wrote:
When you finally succeed in taking faith and God out of our public places, you will rightfully be the ones left to live with that choice.
No one has taken faith and god out of public places. You don't think so? Then walk into a public building and pray. See if you get arrested.

What has been done is removing of appearances that the government can favor one religion over another.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#139041 Jun 26, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget, there could never have been a crucifixion if there had never been God coming to earth in the flesh.
The most wonderful FACT is that He really did live a sinless life and die a cruel and humiliating death for YOU to have the hope of Heaven.
Really? You could not nail somebody to a tree unless god came to Earth?

Here is a very serious question for you: Why couldn't Jesus have been a real human being and that is all? That is what about 2/3 of the World's population believes. For something to be considered a fact you need hard evidence to support that fact. What is your evidence?
If you let people and the sins we commit and the way we act keep you from going there you are of all men most deceived.
God doesn't care, I don't believe, what you or I choose to believe about science and evolution. He gave man the intelligence to think and learn and make miraculous advances in all kinds of ways.
Those out there who are still open to the possibility of God/Creator try just considering for one whole day everything that is really important in your life and ask yourself WHY .
I'm 100% certain you won't find those answers in a laboratory test tube or under a microscope or in the evidence and theories man has concocted about the fossils and the bones he digs up out of the earth.
There is a spiritual aspect to humans that no other animal has been given.
That may be about the only difference between us and the apes , but it is a significant difference you should think about while you still can.
Jesus said many things about Hell. Maybe there are many aspects to hell just as there are to the Earth ( fire, darkness, separation from God if that is what we choose). One thing is for certain, there will be no animals there.
There are animals in Gods kingdom. I find that comforting to know because some of the greatest blessings in our lives are the animals.(Loving them...NOT eating them!)
Have a good day, friends. PEACE
Again, more unsupported claims. I really don't care what you believe about who nailed who to a tree and how he escaped. To me even that is unproven myth. That is not what is being debated here.

The question is about evolution and why it should or should not be taught in high school. The reason it should be is that it is an integral part of biology. You really cannot do biology without evolution. Just like you cannot do physics without calculus. Yes, you can memorize countless theories and formulas, but you will not understand how they are connected to each other without calculus.

The same applies to biology and evolution. It ties the separate parts of biology together.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139042 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
Oh and also the people that do help and do give are the people that still believe in and have faith in God.
If you're trying to make the point that it's only the people of faith who help their fellow man and contribute to the well being of others, your either lying, ignorant and just plain wrong.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#139043 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like Bill Gates?
Bingo! Who just gave my school district $100,000,000.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Who-We-Are/Gen...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#139044 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Kitty here is a simple challenge for you. It should be simple by the way you talk.
List the top 15 things that have helped man kind and/or made life better that is credited to evolution. Links will be needed for evidence.
Vaccines, there's a hundred.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#139045 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see. God is false. God the myth is a liar. The buybull is a book of lies and BS sct ect. That is an attack on God just as much as it is on the person that believes in him.
You can't attack part of something while claiming it is not personal or about all of it.
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see. God is false. God the myth is a liar. The buybull is a book of lies and BS sct ect. That is an attack on God just as much as it is on the person that believes in him.
You can't attack part of something while claiming it is not personal or about all of it.
I didn't write anything like that. I wrote that Creationists are often dishonest, that they are often ignorant (even of what the Bible is and what it says) and that they skew what is said about >their< hackneyed thinking and ignoble actions into an attack on God Himself.
(SEE ABOVE)
I can easily "attack" something without it being personal or about all of it. I've owned good Chevys and I owned a Vega. I know good Christians and I know some arrogant jerks who wouldn't give an honest reply to "Which way is up?" or "Why do you falsely accuse people of condemning God?"

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#139046 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
The Earth's atmosphere is full of dust too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Aura Mytha 83,080
Golden Section in our DNA again proves DESIGN 2 hr Science 23
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 hr Science 2,565
Post your Bible Science Verses that show Evolut... 3 hr Science 82
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Science 164,679
Bible 'Science' Verses opposing the Evolution R... 6 hr Science 120
Evolution is boring as Hell 6 hr Science 4
More from around the web