Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 174,462

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#138886 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Kitten Koder is correct. Easter was another stolen holiday of the early Christians.
Do you really think Jesus was born anywhere near December 25? The date was chosen since it was so close to Saturnalia, it had nothing to do with the actual date which was long lost.

Actually it is because of the Winter Solstice more than anything else.
Just as spring and Easter is the spring equinox.
Until the 325 Council of Nicea Easter was celebrated on the Sunday after the first full moon following the vernal equinox.

Makes you wonder why but when you look at the traditional reasons for celebration on these dates , it seems the Jesus tale was fashioned to fit with them.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#138887 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Science brought us medicine. Science brought us the evolution theory. Evolution did not bring us science.
How many hospitals around the world offer cheap to near free help for kids/people. There are many that do it in the faith of Jesus and our Lord. There are none "0" that do it in the believe of evolution.
Well, duh. Evolution is merely a scientific phenomenon.

No hospitals offer care in the belief of gravity either.

“A belief is formed personally.”

Level 2

Since: Jun 13

Not forced.

#138888 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
So, long story short, Christmas is celebrated more.
At any rate let's get back to evolution.
Why don't you believe the theory of evolution?
Why do you use the benefits of the theory of evolution every day?
Long story short? Not that easy. Non-believers/evolutionists participate in Christmas that has no meaning to them. To them it is all about the material things. So they can not be added in the percentage that celebrate it for Jesus.

Mans greed and desire for material things is for the most part the biggest trouble of the world today. More people believe in living good (high on the hog) more than they believe in living good(doing right and helping others).

In the last several 100's of years the world has became corrupt over the desire of more more more no matter who or what it hurts or destroys.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138889 Jun 26, 2013
Oh and also the people that do help and do give are the people that still believe in and have faith in God.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138890 Jun 26, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it is because of the Winter Solstice more than anything else.
Just as spring and Easter is the spring equinox.
Until the 325 Council of Nicea Easter was celebrated on the Sunday after the first full moon following the vernal equinox.
Makes you wonder why but when you look at the traditional reasons for celebration on these dates , it seems the Jesus tale was fashioned to fit with them.
That's ture, and of course that was why Saturnalia was held at that time.

And SHHH! Don't confuse our latest batch with the facts.

Level 8

Location hidden

#138891 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Science brought us medicine. Science brought us the evolution theory. Evolution did not bring us science.
How many hospitals around the world offer cheap to near free help for kids/people. There are many that do it in the faith of Jesus and our Lord. There are none "0" that do it in the believe of evolution.

Christianity has not cornered the market on humanitarian reasoning.
But to be fair, you have to admit evolution does not collect tithes or have a tax free status either...hmm But regardless of faith , helping people out is a human nature.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138892 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Long story short? Not that easy. Non-believers/evolutionists participate in Christmas that has no meaning to them. To them it is all about the material things. So they can not be added in the percentage that celebrate it for Jesus.
Mans greed and desire for material things is for the most part the biggest trouble of the world today. More people believe in living good (high on the hog) more than they believe in living good(doing right and helping others).
In the last several 100's of years the world has became corrupt over the desire of more more more no matter who or what it hurts or destroys.
Nope, that does not fly.

Even without nonbelievers and Christians only Christmas is still by far the biggest holiday of the year. Easter may be behind even Halloween, which started out as a religious holiday.

Level 8

Location hidden

#138893 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people might just look at it as a time of the year the family gets together, and show their love for each other.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138894 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, duh. Evolution is merely a scientific phenomenon.
No hospitals offer care in the belief of gravity either.
Exactly. So a world with out faith and belief in God would be a world far off worse than what it is today. But you just keep right on trying to destroy that belief and faith people have.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138895 Jun 26, 2013
It is said that man will eventually destroy himself. Removing all belief and faith is going in that direction. There would be no more help from charities, hospitals, people, churches, ect ect that do it all upon their faith and belief. More people would die from lack of that help. Crime would rise for more would need and because no one would have nothing to believe in anymore. No one would care as much as they do anymore. They would see their life as it all ends when I die so I might as well live the best I can now no matter who I hurt or destroy to get that. Oh you are hungry, well to bad I have no desire or reason to help you plus I am not hungry so be gone. Ect ect. I think you see the picture.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138896 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
Oh and also the people that do help and do give are the people that still believe in and have faith in God.
You mean like Bill Gates?

Oh wait, no, the richest person in the U.S. and perhaps the world is an atheist and he is famous for his helping and giving.

By they way, how about all of those icky things that Jesus says you are supposed to do. Have you visited someone in jail? I have.

Helped the homeless? I have. And yes, I don't buy that bullshit about how they are victims. Most homeless men are homeless by choice. Or due to their continued desire to abuse drugs. Still you have to help the idiots sometimes.

How about the number two person for wealth in the U.S. He gives a lot to charity. Oops, Warren Buffet is an atheist too. And he gives quite a chunk of money.

Since there are far fewer atheists in the U.S. than Christians their donations will not match the total given by atheists. Atheists still give freely to charity. Don't believe people who try to tell you otherwise. And when atheists donate we are not doing it because we "have to" we do it because it is the right thing to do.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138897 Jun 26, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Some people might just look at it as a time of the year the family gets together, and show their love for each other.
Yes to a point. But they also have more time off work/school and more time to travel to be with that family. So they chose that day due to the extra time them have. If they all had more time During Easter than Christmas they would do it on Easter. And also being with family and loved ones makes people participate more.

Same as more people BBQ and get together on the 4th of July due to the time they have off.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138898 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. So a world with out faith and belief in God would be a world far off worse than what it is today. But you just keep right on trying to destroy that belief and faith people have.
Now there is a non sequitur if there ever was one.

The theory of evolution only explains a scientific fact, that evolution occurred on this world.

What is good about gullibility and belief?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138899 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
It is said that man will eventually destroy himself. Removing all belief and faith is going in that direction. There would be no more help from charities, hospitals, people, churches, ect ect that do it all upon their faith and belief. More people would die from lack of that help. Crime would rise for more would need and because no one would have nothing to believe in anymore. No one would care as much as they do anymore. They would see their life as it all ends when I die so I might as well live the best I can now no matter who I hurt or destroy to get that. Oh you are hungry, well to bad I have no desire or reason to help you plus I am not hungry so be gone. Ect ect. I think you see the picture.
More nonsense.

Again, what evidence do you have to support your claim? Do you seriously think that good things would not happen without churches?

I am sorry for you if your life is so empty that you would do no good without your "Mafia God" that you seem to believe in.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138900 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Now there is a non sequitur if there ever was one.
The theory of evolution only explains a scientific fact, that evolution occurred on this world.
What is good about gullibility and belief?
Let me put it to you this way. when or if our country collapses and or a war happens again own our own soil(during our lifetime). If I came across you and your family I would help you because of my beliefs and faith I have in Jesus and God. If I did not have that faith and believe and I came across you and your family, I would not care about you or them, I would drop you all were you stood, take what you had to help insure my survival.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138901 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me put it to you this way. when or if our country collapses and or a war happens again own our own soil(during our lifetime). If I came across you and your family I would help you because of my beliefs and faith I have in Jesus and God. If I did not have that faith and believe and I came across you and your family, I would not care about you or them, I would drop you all were you stood, take what you had to help insure my survival.
Well that is sad. That is not what the theory of evolution predicts. So you are admitting that you are a bad person.

Atheists realize that you can be good, giving, and sharing without a threat.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138902 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
More nonsense.
Again, what evidence do you have to support your claim? Do you seriously think that good things would not happen without churches?
I am sorry for you if your life is so empty that you would do no good without your "Mafia God" that you seem to believe in.
And again here you go running God down by calling him a "Mafia God". You can't help yourself but to run God down because you believe different. If you do not believe in him that is fine but I don't understand why it bothers you so much that you have to constantly run him down. I have not set here and constantly ran you or evolution down. It does not matter to me what you believe for it does not effect my life so why should I run it down? I only go after things or try to change things that have a negative impact effect in my life.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138903 Jun 26, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity has not cornered the market on humanitarian reasoning.
But to be fair, you have to admit evolution does not collect tithes or have a tax free status either...hmm But regardless of faith , helping people out is a human nature.
True but the science that they use to research it is all given by the government either from taxpayer money or the taxpayer pays for it.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138904 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that is sad. That is not what the theory of evolution predicts. So you are admitting that you are a bad person.
Atheists realize that you can be good, giving, and sharing without a threat.
Evolution is about two things when it really comes down to it. Change and survival!

I am not a bad person but without belief and faith it would be all about, when needed, survival and I would change how I am to insure that if I needed to.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138905 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
And again here you go running God down by calling him a "Mafia God". You can't help yourself but to run God down because you believe different. If you do not believe in him that is fine but I don't understand why it bothers you so much that you have to constantly run him down. I have not set here and constantly ran you or evolution down. It does not matter to me what you believe for it does not effect my life so why should I run it down? I only go after things or try to change things that have a negative impact effect in my life.
No, I am not running God down again.

Why do you keep assuming that your God has to be the right God?

You have no evidence only a feeling. Believer definitely believes in a Mafia God, in fact it is a flaw that most Christians have.

If you don't believe in and worship your God he threatens to punish you forever. What difference is there between him and a Mafia Character who comes to your business and threatens it?

Not even the Pope believes in your Mafia God anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min anonymous 117,464
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 20 min Bluenose 659
Darwin on the rocks 1 hr DanFromSmithville 181
Humans DID evolve from apes! 4 hr Daz Ma Taz 3
Why are there no dinosaur pen is fossil? 5 hr John K 3
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 11 hr The Dude 14
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 hr polymath257 137,376

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE