Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#138856 Jun 25, 2013
And exactly what question do you want answered?
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138857 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I have just as much evidence that Spiderman created the universe as you have for your god.
So let's try to keep this discussion rooted in reality.
What evidence do you have that supports your beliefs?
I knew you believed Spider-Man was real and might even be a god.
I think I've figured out how to relate to you on your level. We all know you are so much more educated about the things of science than any of the rest of us.
The monkey cage at the zoo is my favorite stop. You should be very proud of your family tree. So cute, so funny, and oh my goodness can they be crude! It is a little offensive sometimes, but I still have to laugh.
I'll bet when they see you coming down the path they smile with pride at what they were able to accomplish, even though they don't know how it actually happened either. The biggest difference in them and your generation is that they don't seem to care where they came from. Wonder when that got started in the family.

“A belief is formed personally.”

Level 2

Since: Jun 13

Not forced.

#138858 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not affect me. It is just rather sad.
And no, the early Christians stole Christmas from the Romans who celebrated Saturnalia at the time. Since everyone calls it "Christmas" I just go with the flow in regards to gifts, peace to men etc. That is part of what Saturnalia was about. The early Christians found it easier to fit in by pirating old holidays rather than to make up new ones.
The most important Christian holiday should be Easter. That is what Christianity is all about. Why isn't it celebrated ten times as much as Easter?
Please, you don't even know the history of your own myth. You should not call someone ignorant when you are so badly off.
Easter is about Jesus' resurrection. We celebrate it more because it is seen as his rebirth of our savior. That is why Easter is celebrated more than Christmas.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138859 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
The problem with too many "Christians" is that they don't worship or follow Christ. They worship the Bible. A mere book, written by fallible man, filled with scientific errors, geographic errors, contradictions, bad morals, and failed prophecies.
So why would you expect anything more from those Ignorant" "uneducated" Christians. You little monkey.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138860 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Have you ever had a sad heart from hurt? A gut feeling? Been in love? Missed someone?

Should anyone believe any of that just because you say you did and you believe it to be true?
Can you show actual evidence of any of that? If you can't then it must be lies and made up BS.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138861 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Good grief, SZ. Even I know the answer to that. Tell the man your answer, you little monkey.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138862 Jun 25, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you believed Spider-Man was real and might even be a god.
I think I've figured out how to relate to you on your level. We all know you are so much more educated about the things of science than any of the rest of us.
The monkey cage at the zoo is my favorite stop. You should be very proud of your family tree. So cute, so funny, and oh my goodness can they be crude! It is a little offensive sometimes, but I still have to laugh.
I'll bet when they see you coming down the path they smile with pride at what they were able to accomplish, even though they don't know how it actually happened either. The biggest difference in them and your generation is that they don't seem to care where they came from. Wonder when that got started in the family.
Did I say that I believed in Spiderman?

Now you are being dishonest and that is against the rules for you.

Once again, there is just as much evidence for Spiderman as there is for your God. The question was put to you, why do you believe in your God?

And remember, the monkeys are your relatives too. You cannot insult me by implying I am related to monkeys. Why are you ashamed of your relatives?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138863 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Easter is about Jesus' resurrection. We celebrate it more because it is seen as his rebirth of our savior. That is why Easter is celebrated more than Christmas.
The problem is that it is not celebrated more than Christmas and it should be if you are a Christian.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138864 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever had a sad heart from hurt? A gut feeling? Been in love? Missed someone?
Should anyone believe any of that just because you say you did and you believe it to be true?
Can you show actual evidence of any of that? If you can't then it must be lies and made up BS.
Sure, everybody has emotions. That is no reason to throw logic away.

And those feelings have nothing to do with the existence of your God or any God for that matter. We would still have those feelings if Zeus, Odin, Allah, Buddha, or countless other deities or no deity at all existed. What you just did was to submit a Red Herring.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138865 Jun 25, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief, SZ. Even I know the answer to that. Tell the man your answer, you little monkey.
Believer, it is becoming clear that you are not playing with a full deck.

Perhaps it is past your bedtime.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138866 Jun 25, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
So why would you expect anything more from those Ignorant" "uneducated" Christians. You little monkey.
Not all Christians are ignorant and uneducated. Education does cure quite a bit of stupidity. And there are many Christians that have no problem with reality. Worldwide most Christians probably do believe the theory of evolution.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138867 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that it is not celebrated more than Christmas and it should be if you are a Christian.
Go to any church on Christmas and Easter and then tell me which is celebrated more.

Christmas is not celebrated more, it is just more participate in it because even the non-believers, the evolution believers such as yourself give gifts because man has became about material things and personal possessions more than anything.

How does it make sense to you that you believe God is a myth, evolution is real but you participate in gift giving on his birthday and you do things on Easter with family and friends.

Those two days and celebrations should not be celebrated by non-believers and evolutionists because those two days do not going along with what you believe in.

Does Britain celebrate the 4th of July because we whipped them and took our country? Nope they don't so why do you celebrate two days that you do not believe in and should mean nothing to you?
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138868 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, your beliefs are a myth. Where is your evidence?
In a debate there is a saying "claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence", your claim is dismissed.
We do have mountains of evidence for evolution. There is none that I know of for creation. In fact it seems that even creation "scientists" cannot find any evidence for creation.
You have all the talking points memorized! You should have no problem telling all that to God when you have to give an account of how you lived life believing you were a monkey. Trouble is you aren't! And thinking like one will not help you then either.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138869 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, everybody has emotions. That is no reason to throw logic away.
And those feelings have nothing to do with the existence of your God or any God for that matter. We would still have those feelings if Zeus, Odin, Allah, Buddha, or countless other deities or no deity at all existed. What you just did was to submit a Red Herring.
Evolution does not need emotions. It is not need love, missing, hurting. It is about a species surviving, going on, adapting, survival of the fittest and emotions would be considered a weakness in survival.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#138870 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Easter is a pagan holiday that your religion just stole. It's been about rebirth and beginning anew a lot longer than your myths have existed.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138871 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all Christians are ignorant and uneducated. Education does cure quite a bit of stupidity. And there are many Christians that have no problem with reality. Worldwide most Christians probably do believe the theory of evolution.
I'll live by my Faith over your reality any day under any circumstance. I hope you get in touch with your spiritual life before it is too late. You may be running out of chances and time.
In other words, I'd rather be an uneducated Christian than what the Bible calls an educated fool any day!
Get over yourself, man! Get out and smell some roses!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#138872 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to any church on Christmas and Easter and then tell me which is celebrated more.
Christmas is not celebrated more, it is just more participate in it because even the non-believers, the evolution believers such as yourself give gifts because man has became about material things and personal possessions more than anything.
How does it make sense to you that you believe God is a myth, evolution is real but you participate in gift giving on his birthday and you do things on Easter with family and friends.
Those two days and celebrations should not be celebrated by non-believers and evolutionists because those two days do not going along with what you believe in.
Does Britain celebrate the 4th of July because we whipped them and took our country? Nope they don't so why do you celebrate two days that you do not believe in and should mean nothing to you?
Incorrect. Easter has more outdoor participation due to the many pagan traditions that still influence it, all requiring outdoor participation. Christmas and Easter is celebrated just as much, and both produce huge profits for all businesses. During Christmas though, outdoor activities are less than appealing, in the cold and wet weather most people do not wish to revel, but for Easter the warm and clear weather is appealing. Egg hunts are purely pagan, and offer a lot of gifts to the participants. Baskets with goodies are also pagan, and also a hugely profitable product sold by many businesses.

Now both are nothing more than cultural celebrations, and both are hugely profitable to many businesses.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#138873 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution does not need emotions. It is not need love, missing, hurting. It is about a species surviving, going on, adapting, survival of the fittest and emotions would be considered a weakness in survival.
The "fittest" species do require emotions, and the most beneficial are those you equate to humanity, as we have seen they exist in all the most successful species beyond that of viruses and bacteria.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138874 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
The churches are fuller and happier at Christmas. They have to have extra services. Seriously, you are supposed to celebrate Easter more, but it does not seem that anyone does.

You are simply lying to yourself if you think it is the other way around.

Let's look at the past when Christianity did pretty much rule America. Look at popular culture in the 40's and the 50's of last century. Even then Christmas ruled as far as holidays go.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138875 Jun 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Easter is a pagan holiday that your religion just stole. It's been about rebirth and beginning anew a lot longer than your myths have existed.
So I guess you think two things can't happen on the same day.

Funny for I know many things that are celebrated on the same day as others. I guess if your birthday is on the same day as someone older than you then you are just really celebrating their birthday because they were celebrating on that day before you were.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 19 min Blitzking 132,154
How would creationists explain... 2 hr Hidingfromyou 297
Genetic entropy 7 hr Discord 159
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) 9 hr Wally West 3
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 15 hr The Dude 466
Science News (Sep '13) 16 hr positronium 2,941
What you should know about Tuesday's vote on ev... (Feb '08) Wed IAMIOOWAN 516
More from around the web