Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“A belief is formed personally.”

Level 2

Since: Jun 13

Not forced.

#138869 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, everybody has emotions. That is no reason to throw logic away.
And those feelings have nothing to do with the existence of your God or any God for that matter. We would still have those feelings if Zeus, Odin, Allah, Buddha, or countless other deities or no deity at all existed. What you just did was to submit a Red Herring.
Evolution does not need emotions. It is not need love, missing, hurting. It is about a species surviving, going on, adapting, survival of the fittest and emotions would be considered a weakness in survival.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#138870 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Easter is about Jesus' resurrection. We celebrate it more because it is seen as his rebirth of our savior. That is why Easter is celebrated more than Christmas.
Easter is a pagan holiday that your religion just stole. It's been about rebirth and beginning anew a lot longer than your myths have existed.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138871 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all Christians are ignorant and uneducated. Education does cure quite a bit of stupidity. And there are many Christians that have no problem with reality. Worldwide most Christians probably do believe the theory of evolution.
I'll live by my Faith over your reality any day under any circumstance. I hope you get in touch with your spiritual life before it is too late. You may be running out of chances and time.
In other words, I'd rather be an uneducated Christian than what the Bible calls an educated fool any day!
Get over yourself, man! Get out and smell some roses!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#138872 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to any church on Christmas and Easter and then tell me which is celebrated more.
Christmas is not celebrated more, it is just more participate in it because even the non-believers, the evolution believers such as yourself give gifts because man has became about material things and personal possessions more than anything.
How does it make sense to you that you believe God is a myth, evolution is real but you participate in gift giving on his birthday and you do things on Easter with family and friends.
Those two days and celebrations should not be celebrated by non-believers and evolutionists because those two days do not going along with what you believe in.
Does Britain celebrate the 4th of July because we whipped them and took our country? Nope they don't so why do you celebrate two days that you do not believe in and should mean nothing to you?
Incorrect. Easter has more outdoor participation due to the many pagan traditions that still influence it, all requiring outdoor participation. Christmas and Easter is celebrated just as much, and both produce huge profits for all businesses. During Christmas though, outdoor activities are less than appealing, in the cold and wet weather most people do not wish to revel, but for Easter the warm and clear weather is appealing. Egg hunts are purely pagan, and offer a lot of gifts to the participants. Baskets with goodies are also pagan, and also a hugely profitable product sold by many businesses.

Now both are nothing more than cultural celebrations, and both are hugely profitable to many businesses.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#138873 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution does not need emotions. It is not need love, missing, hurting. It is about a species surviving, going on, adapting, survival of the fittest and emotions would be considered a weakness in survival.
The "fittest" species do require emotions, and the most beneficial are those you equate to humanity, as we have seen they exist in all the most successful species beyond that of viruses and bacteria.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#138874 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to any church on Christmas and Easter and then tell me which is celebrated more.
Christmas is not celebrated more, it is just more participate in it because even the non-believers, the evolution believers such as yourself give gifts because man has became about material things and personal possessions more than anything.
How does it make sense to you that you believe God is a myth, evolution is real but you participate in gift giving on his birthday and you do things on Easter with family and friends.
Those two days and celebrations should not be celebrated by non-believers and evolutionists because those two days do not going along with what you believe in.
Does Britain celebrate the 4th of July because we whipped them and took our country? Nope they don't so why do you celebrate two days that you do not believe in and should mean nothing to you?
The churches are fuller and happier at Christmas. They have to have extra services. Seriously, you are supposed to celebrate Easter more, but it does not seem that anyone does.

You are simply lying to yourself if you think it is the other way around.

Let's look at the past when Christianity did pretty much rule America. Look at popular culture in the 40's and the 50's of last century. Even then Christmas ruled as far as holidays go.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138875 Jun 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Easter is a pagan holiday that your religion just stole. It's been about rebirth and beginning anew a lot longer than your myths have existed.
So I guess you think two things can't happen on the same day.

Funny for I know many things that are celebrated on the same day as others. I guess if your birthday is on the same day as someone older than you then you are just really celebrating their birthday because they were celebrating on that day before you were.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138876 Jun 25, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
You have all the talking points memorized! You should have no problem telling all that to God when you have to give an account of how you lived life believing you were a monkey. Trouble is you aren't! And thinking like one will not help you then either.
No. But I do know a fair amount of science.

And now the stupid threats come out.

Sorry, but even your head Christian said that I am going to heaven. He does not believe in "Mafia Don" God. Do you?

And once again you are being derogatory to your ancestors. Isn't that also against one of your rules?

Why do Christians think that it is okay to lie for Jesus and now not to honor thy mother and father for Jesus.

If you want to see a religious hypocrite you only have to look for a foolish creationist.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138877 Jun 25, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll live by my Faith over your reality any day under any circumstance. I hope you get in touch with your spiritual life before it is too late. You may be running out of chances and time.
In other words, I'd rather be an uneducated Christian than what the Bible calls an educated fool any day!
Unfortunately you are an uneducated fool. You combined the worst of both.

And please enough with the threats. I don't believe in your "Mafia Don" god, nor does the top Christian.

How seriously would you take me if I threatened you with the Flying Spaghetti Monster's righteous wrath?

Think about it.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#138878 Jun 25, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
So you never get medical attention for anything. Never eat food from a grocer. You never use a computer ... oh wait ... seems you have lost your "faith."

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#138879 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny for I know many things that are celebrated on the same day as others. I guess if your birthday is on the same day as someone older than you then you are just really celebrating their birthday because they were celebrating on that day before you were.
Your myth was just a myth, yes, many myths "happen" on the same day, that does not change the fact that they are myths.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138880 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Kitten Koder is correct. Easter was another stolen holiday of the early Christians.

Do you really think Jesus was born anywhere near December 25? The date was chosen since it was so close to Saturnalia, it had nothing to do with the actual date which was long lost.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138881 Jun 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The churches are fuller and happier at Christmas. They have to have extra services. Seriously, you are supposed to celebrate Easter more, but it does not seem that anyone does.
You are simply lying to yourself if you think it is the other way around.
Let's look at the past when Christianity did pretty much rule America. Look at popular culture in the 40's and the 50's of last century. Even then Christmas ruled as far as holidays go.
Again I stated Christmas is participated in more for several reasons. For the gifts. Even adults get gifts. It is near the end of the year/start of the year which is another holiday so many places give/people take vacation usually for a week, even schools as a year end break, at that time. So more travel to see family since they have a week or more off and participate in it.

Easter is a 3 day weekend so not as many travel and get together.

That all is simple logic and all about time to spare.

As far as being celebrated for religious reasons or beliefs in Jesus. Easter is celebrated more for those reasons than Christmas.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138882 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I stated Christmas is participated in more for several reasons. For the gifts. Even adults get gifts. It is near the end of the year/start of the year which is another holiday so many places give/people take vacation usually for a week, even schools as a year end break, at that time. So more travel to see family since they have a week or more off and participate in it.
As far as being celebrated for religious reasons or beliefs in Jesus. Easter is celebrated more for those reasons than Christmas.
So, long story short, Christmas is celebrated more.

At any rate let's get back to evolution.

Why don't you believe the theory of evolution?

Why do you use the benefits of the theory of evolution every day?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#138883 Jun 25, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Easter is only one day.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138884 Jun 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you never get medical attention for anything. Never eat food from a grocer. You never use a computer ... oh wait ... seems you have lost your "faith."
Science brought us medicine. Science brought us the evolution theory. Evolution did not bring us science.

How many hospitals around the world offer cheap to near free help for kids/people. There are many that do it in the faith of Jesus and our Lord. There are none "0" that do it in the believe of evolution.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138885 Jun 26, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The "fittest" species do require emotions, and the most beneficial are those you equate to humanity, as we have seen they exist in all the most successful species beyond that of viruses and bacteria.
No, you are very incorrect in your assertion that all "successful" species share the same emotions.
I'm sure you will say you did not say share ALL THE SAME emotions, but that is what you implied.
I can't take time to explain it to you right now, but I have a feeling you already know why you are so wrong in your implications.

I really and sincerely feel sorry for some of you folks. Your determination to ridicule people and things of faith and of God simply because you have chosen another way of thinking borders on pathetic. We do not ask you to prove anything and we do not disrespect your choice.
Grow up and give us the same consideration.

Frankly, I don't give a monkey what you think of me, nor do I care what you believe about anything!

When you finally succeed in taking faith and God out of our public places, you will rightfully be the ones left to live with that choice.
I

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#138886 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Kitten Koder is correct. Easter was another stolen holiday of the early Christians.
Do you really think Jesus was born anywhere near December 25? The date was chosen since it was so close to Saturnalia, it had nothing to do with the actual date which was long lost.

Actually it is because of the Winter Solstice more than anything else.
Just as spring and Easter is the spring equinox.
Until the 325 Council of Nicea Easter was celebrated on the Sunday after the first full moon following the vernal equinox.

Makes you wonder why but when you look at the traditional reasons for celebration on these dates , it seems the Jesus tale was fashioned to fit with them.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138887 Jun 26, 2013
Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Science brought us medicine. Science brought us the evolution theory. Evolution did not bring us science.
How many hospitals around the world offer cheap to near free help for kids/people. There are many that do it in the faith of Jesus and our Lord. There are none "0" that do it in the believe of evolution.
Well, duh. Evolution is merely a scientific phenomenon.

No hospitals offer care in the belief of gravity either.

Level 2

Not forced.

#138888 Jun 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
So, long story short, Christmas is celebrated more.
At any rate let's get back to evolution.
Why don't you believe the theory of evolution?
Why do you use the benefits of the theory of evolution every day?
Long story short? Not that easy. Non-believers/evolutionists participate in Christmas that has no meaning to them. To them it is all about the material things. So they can not be added in the percentage that celebrate it for Jesus.

Mans greed and desire for material things is for the most part the biggest trouble of the world today. More people believe in living good (high on the hog) more than they believe in living good(doing right and helping others).

In the last several 100's of years the world has became corrupt over the desire of more more more no matter who or what it hurts or destroys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 30 min Agents of Corruption 171,982
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 32 min Paul Porter1 287
Beware of Kamikaze Snakes. They Are Evolving in... 35 min Paul Porter1 38
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr thetruth 20,644
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Chimney1 142,662
Dr. David Berlinski corrects himself on whale e... 7 hr Zog Has-fallen 51
News Bobby Jindal: I'm fine with teaching creationis... (Apr '13) Sat Chimney1 248
More from around the web