Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179480 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#138312 Jun 23, 2013
No one is questioning that Einstein had a belief in God. And wedgehead, your very first post of Einstein's has been shown to be wrong. He regretted making that statement later in his life.

You should have listed this most important quote of his from that site:
"I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science.[He was speaking of Quantum Mechanics and the breaking down of determinism.] My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance -- but for us, not for God." - Albert Einstein 'The Human Side', 1954

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138313 Jun 23, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
And before some idiot says what is your point. My point is two of the greatest minds in science history believed in God and a creator.
Yes, but no evidence of either believing in creationism. Newton, to be honest, probably did. His time was long before Darwin's.

It is clear that Einstein did believe in evolution.

It is an incorrect appeal to authority to go to either of these men when it comes to evolution. Neither of them studied it. This is not a subject that they would have any special ability to comment on.

“We were created”

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Then we evolved

#138314 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
No one is questioning that Einstein had a belief in God. And wedgehead, your very first post of Einstein's has been shown to be wrong. He regretted making that statement later in his life.
You should have listed this most important quote of his from that site:
<quoted text>
Kind of like I said last night when I said "I believe in God. I don't think God controls us. He doesn't interfere in our changes or what we become and lets us control our own fate. He does not force himself upon us. He lets us choose(freewill) for our self what we believe about him, thus again choose our own fate. But I do think he watches over us.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138315 Jun 23, 2013
THANK YOU, WEDGEHEAD!!!!
One of these guys will try to find a way to twist those words no doubt.
What we have all been trying to get through their thick oversized sculls is what you quoted in your posts!
Now lets see if they will accuse Newton and Einstein of being uneducated, naive, ignorant creatards.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138316 Jun 23, 2013
And it would be wrong to state that Einstein did believe in god.

When actually asked about his belief in god he stated that he was agnostic. He was not sure. He had a personal dislike of the atheists of his time. They tended to be as bad as the fundies of today:

"In a 1950 letter to M. Berkowitz, Einstein stated that "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138317 Jun 23, 2013
wdgehead, did you change your icon to "honor" the Supermoon out right now?

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#138318 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but no evidence of either believing in creationism. Newton, to be honest, probably did. His time was long before Darwin's.
It is an incorrect appeal to authority to go to either of these men when it comes to evolution. Neither of them studied it. This is not a subject that they would have any special ability to comment on.
Why do you find it so hard to even think about that we were created and since then we evolved?(read what is around my avatar). I mean you say evolution is not about how life started or what it came from, it is about how we have evolved over the many years. But you sure press the fact that it all came from a muddy soup.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#138319 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It is all about evidence. I take their own words as evidence. It should be just as easy for you to show they believed in evolution(evolution in your mind does not include a God) as it was for me to show quotes that they believed in God.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138320 Jun 23, 2013
Believer wrote:
THANK YOU, WEDGEHEAD!!!!
One of these guys will try to find a way to twist those words no doubt.
What we have all been trying to get through their thick oversized sculls is what you quoted in your posts!
Now lets see if they will accuse Newton and Einstein of being uneducated, naive, ignorant creatards.
My Flying Spaghetti Monster you are thick.

When it comes to evolution Newton was uneducated. He probably was a creationist only because he did not know any better. Creatards are called that because they are either liars or idiots. It has to be one or another. It is pretty clear that HST is an idiot. You may be an idiot too.

Einstein was an agnostic who did not like the atheists of his time so he did not want to be associated with them. He definitely believed in evolution. He would have laughed at the claims of creationists.

You can believe in god and believe the theory of evolution at the same time. So even if Einstein believed in God that would not be a victory for your side.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#138321 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
wdgehead, did you change your icon to "honor" the Supermoon out right now?
No I changed it for a point. Look at it. Do you see a sphere or a circle?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138322 Jun 23, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you find it so hard to even think about that we were created and since then we evolved?(read what is around my avatar). I mean you say evolution is not about how life started or what it came from, it is about how we have evolved over the many years. But you sure press the fact that it all came from a muddy soup.
What do you mean by that question? It is not precise enough. I have no problem with a god being behind the Big Bang. I don't know enough either way. After that we have evidence of what happened. There is no doubt about the fact that all life on the Earth shares a common ancestor.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138323 Jun 23, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
It is all about evidence. I take their own words as evidence. It should be just as easy for you to show they believed in evolution(evolution in your mind does not include a God) as it was for me to show quotes that they believed in God.
Since Einstein belittled the idea of a personal god that pretty much is a slam dunk that he believed the theory of evolution. In fact, as my later, better quote showed he was actually an agnostic who was open to the idea of a god existing. Very often when people use the word "god" they don't in any way mean that they believe or are attributing anything to god.

But I will look for quotes by Einstein on evolution for you.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#138324 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by that question? It is not precise enough. I have no problem with a god being behind the Big Bang. I don't know enough either way. After that we have evidence of what happened. There is no doubt about the fact that all life on the Earth shares a common ancestor.
Ok more specific. Why do you find it so hard to even think about that earth and life was created and since then we have evolved?
Believer

Manchester, TN

#138325 Jun 23, 2013
Both of these great minds saw that there had to be more to life, the universe, and our existence than can ever be understood through Science.
The implication that Einstein denounced an intelligent Designer of the universe is incorrect.
It sounds like he let the lack if morality and seemed injustice in the world caused him to doubt Gods goodness, but not His existence.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138326 Jun 23, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
No I changed it for a point. Look at it. Do you see a sphere or a circle?
I will have to go look at the real thing. The moon still has the look of a sphere when you see it with the naked eye. That may be my personal knowledge affecting what I see. Of course that does not matter. The ancient Jews still thought of the world as flat, even though they thought of the Moon as a sphere. It has nothing to do with the debate on the Flat Earth beliefs of the ancient Jews. Again, they were not stupid for that belief. The evidence that they could observe made the Earth look flat to them.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#138327 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Now last night you asked me what I believe. I answered with "I believe in God. I don't think God controls us. He doesn't interfere in our changes or what we become and lets us control our own fate. He does not force himself upon us. He lets us choose(freewill) for our self what we believe about him, thus again choose our own fate. But I do think he watches over us.

Now your turn. What do you believe?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138328 Jun 23, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
Now last night you asked me what I believe. I answered with "I believe in God. I don't think God controls us. He doesn't interfere in our changes or what we become and lets us control our own fate. He does not force himself upon us. He lets us choose(freewill) for our self what we believe about him, thus again choose our own fate. But I do think he watches over us.
Now your turn. What do you believe?
That still does not answer the questions we are actually debating here. The existence or nonexistence of god is not really part of the evolution debate. I was wondering what you believed about evolution.

I do believe that you knew that was what I meant and you are therefore being a bit dishonest in your answer.

But what the heck I will go first. I believe there is a naturalistic explanation for everything you see on the Earth.

So now your turn. Please finish the answer to the question.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#138329 Jun 23, 2013
One way or another wrote:
I offer evidence for my hypothesis,...
Why must you tell lies so often?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#138330 Jun 23, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok more specific. Why do you find it so hard to even think about that earth and life was created and since then we have evolved?
It is hard to believe because there is no evidence to support that notion.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#138331 Jun 23, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence does not support that viewpoint. That is why.

Why would you believe anything else?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min DanFromSmithville 187,308
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min thetruth 27,408
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 24 min thetruth 6,190
News This year's first batch of anti-science educati... 1 hr Critical Eye 7
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Critical Eye 148,404
Will Gravitational Waves Reveal the Origin of t... 6 hr Critical Eye 4
Poll Theory of Intelligent Design (Apr '09) 8 hr MIDutch 2,852
More from around the web