Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,737)

Showing posts 134,721 - 134,740 of171,372
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

In a venue such as this, one must always,--- up his/her, game, which might be better thought of as, the evolution of your thought processes.

To that end, I can see that those who defend the flat earth societies, act in a combined manner, because they offer nothing new.

For those that challenge the flat earth societies of the day, it might be best to focus on finding all the tiny flaws of the flat earth societies, research all the questions you have and look for all that's not said, researching that. Be better prepared than the ignorance and one sidedness you face. By such, you will bring new thinking they are not able to answer.

Science will not be able to answer it. By arguing with them you can get your ideas, but don't allow them to make you argue on their terms. They want you to argue with them, taking your attention away from bringing new thoughts.

When you argue with them, use that as a catylist for finding new things that interest you and what your strengths are. Your strengths will be what you are interested in and willing to consider doing all the above.

However, by taking on your weaknesses, you make your strengths much greater. That takes doing all the above on subjects you don't care for or that take more to comprehend.

All of our minds work differently, but you never see that, unless you work closely with genius. Genius manifests itself in sooo many ways. The easiest to understand are in the physical realm, as in mechanical, labor, electrical and all the trades.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Here is another example of sciences ignorance. Scan the following website,--http://science.nasa. gov/science-news/science-at-na sa/2010/12nov_dusttail/

Now consider all the planets and that all have these plumes of dust, as well as science clas dust is all throughout the universe.

Science at the same time claims space is a vacuum, where light proceeds at 186,000 miles per second, but as we can all see and understand, light is blocked, diverted and broken down, by simple dust, amount many things in space. Space is alive with matter.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
UC there are plenty of Christians who accept the covenant offered by Jesus without also accepting the literal truth of Genesis etc. You do not even know that he said all the things he was purported to have said in the much later Christian writings. Some people can take the core message without having to turn into anti-science nuts like you.
Yes, unfortunately they have been sold a bill of goods. They don't even know the purpose of Jesus Christ, which does not make any sense unless there was a perfect, sinless Creation and no death prior to Adam's sin. The would be no purpose for God to send His Son in the form of a perfect Man to be sacrificed, once and for all, for the atonement of our sins. No reason to be born of a virgin, lead a perfect sinless life and be crucified for telling the truth, dead and buried and risen again. Christ would have had no reason to turn water into wine, cure the sick, heal the blind, the lame, the leper. Preach the gospel and the uphold the scriptures including Creation, the Fall, the Flood, and many other literal narrative histories. When someone like Dogen adopts the latest false progressive brand of pseudo-Christianity in order to "fit-in" with the atheists and evolutionists it makes no sense and is a complete abomination and corruption of Christianity and the Bible. Jesus upheld the truth of the Bible - the Old Testament and His Word - which is very clear when it is plain historical narrative. There is no getting around that. People like you and Dogen and even educated people like Francis Collins will NEVER directly address the conflicts their belief poses. For example the six days of creation. The Bible makes it crystal clear what it meant, and then it is affirmed and reaffirmed throughout numerous times and even so by Jesus and the apostles. All these alternative interpretations are simply lies. I have much more respect for an atheist like Richard Dawkins, because even though he lies at times and exaggerates, at least he doesn't pretend that the Bible is saying something it clearly isn't. Note that even Dawkins recognizes these evolutionists who claim to be Christians only hurts their own position for obvious reasons. I agree with him. Logically, You're either an atheist/evolutionists or Christian YEC. The former being illogical due to the "Nothing and nobody plus time equals all life in the universe". At least Christianity has a an intelligent Creator to explain it's origin. Evolution and atheism do not. They only have, "We're working on it", which is a cop out.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

One way or another wrote:
Make the following claim and offer evidence.
Look at the first and third pics on the left side of the page, to see just how far out into space, that the effects of gravity and influence, that one planet has.
Now understand their combined power.
https://www.google.com/search...
Black holes spin into existence and position!
Black holes are not due to exploding stars.
From what science claims, black holes are created by massive stars exploding or imploding. i see it as the spinning motion of our galaxy at approx 600,000 mph and the spin of each celestial body that spins and rotates around each other inside the galaxy, setting up the spinning vortex we call black holes, at least that's how I see it. Science has claimed black holes are due to massive stars exploding or imploding and these largest of stars all just happen to be in the exact middle of each galaxy? How funny.
I say all the celestial bodies and their spheres of influence, create the black holes.
The rotation of each galaxy is a huge contributing factor. The influence of each celestial body extends far out into space, as seen in the first and third pics on the above website.
If black holes were created by exploding or imploding stars, why is there only one black hole for each galaxy and why do they always just happen to be at the very center of each galaxy?
Are scientists just too ignorant to understand such?
Primordial Black Holes , or the supermassive ones were never thought to have been created by stars, but extremely dense pockets of matter in the early universe.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

The more you interact with genius, the more it rubs off on you, but since your thinking processes are different, you will likely build a hybrid of the two minds.

There are many workers that are uneducated as society claims, but when you see them work and especially if you get to work with them and discuss the work, you come to see just how brightly they burn and in the many ways it will come to affect you and yours.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
UC there are plenty of Christians who accept the covenant offered by Jesus without also accepting the literal truth of Genesis etc. You do not even know that he said all the things he was purported to have said in the much later Christian writings. Some people can take the core message without having to turn into anti-science nuts like you.
Oh and by the way. I love science. You HATE science. Contemporary, operation science does not need evolution. Period. You ask any successful scientist, Nobel winners, whatever, would their achievements have been any different if evolution were not true. Of course not! Evolution has never influenced any practical science. It is the study of the historical past which cannot be repeated so has no influence on any science. You are the one wasting your time on something that evidently NEVER happened and even if it did has no consequence on current science! It is pure ideology and science doesn't need it, doesn't require it, doesn't depend on it; has no need for it at all. Plus, there are numerous scientific evidences -in fact much more - supporting a young earth creation than old earth evolution. You ignore all that. There is no mechanism found for evolution. You ignore that. There are no transitional fossils. You ignore that. There is evidence of intelligent design throughout the universe and especially in biology. You ignore all that. It is you that ignores science. So you can go to hell Chimney calling me an anti-science nut as you clearly are the nutcase rejecting science.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Primordial Black Holes , or the supermassive ones were never thought to have been created by stars, but extremely dense pockets of matter in the early universe.
I have offered evidence for my theory, science offers lip service and no evidence or you should have brought it.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is your mythunderstanding of the Bible. Jesus mention the stories in context of teaching his disciples about spiritual truths, no in a manor of simply affirming literal truth (an expression that would not have even made sense to people at that time).
I have recommended the book "Speaking Christian" by Marcus Borg to you more than once. It is a book that can take you beyond the modern distortions of who Christ was and what he actually taught IN THE CONTEXT of Jesus' place and time.
You espouse Kindergarten Christianity, which is necessary place to begin, but you need to move beyond the popular myths about Jesus and get down to the historic facts before you can progress.
You're clueless and a waste of my time.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

<quoted text>
I have offered evidence for my theory, science offers lip service and no evidence or you should have brought it.
Hahaha Hahahahahaha that's very funny , especially coming from you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Make the following claim and offer evidence.
Look at the first and third pics on the left side of the page, to see just how far out into space, that the effects of gravity and influence, that one planet has.
Now understand their combined power.
https://www.google.com/search...
Black holes spin into existence and position!
Black holes are not due to exploding stars.
From what science claims, black holes are created by massive stars exploding or imploding. i see it as the spinning motion of our galaxy at approx 600,000 mph and the spin of each celestial body that spins and rotates around each other inside the galaxy, setting up the spinning vortex we call black holes, at least that's how I see it. Science has claimed black holes are due to massive stars exploding or imploding and these largest of stars all just happen to be in the exact middle of each galaxy? How funny.
I say all the celestial bodies and their spheres of influence, create the black holes.
The rotation of each galaxy is a huge contributing factor. The influence of each celestial body extends far out into space, as seen in the first and third pics on the above website.
If black holes were created by exploding or imploding stars, why is there only one black hole for each galaxy and why do they always just happen to be at the very center of each galaxy?
Are scientists just too ignorant to understand such?

No.

Even a superficial review of gravitation demonstrates that your thesis is nonsense. There is NOT one one black hole per galaxy. They do not just happen in the center of galaxies but rather aggregate and merge there.

These are very basic things even a basic book on black holes should cover.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

All of our minds work differently, but you never see that, unless you work closely with genius. Genius manifests itself in sooo many ways.

Being that you are a bare (spelling intentional) of very little brain, why don't you try to learn from the genius's instead of making up ignorant claptrap?

Here is series of DVDs that you might have access to through a local library that explain black holes from one of the foremost authorities on them.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/co...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Here is another example of sciences ignorance. Scan the following website,--http://science.nasa. gov/science-news/science-at-na sa/2010/12nov_dusttail/
Now consider all the planets and that all have these plumes of dust, as well as science clas dust is all throughout the universe.
Science at the same time claims space is a vacuum, where light proceeds at 186,000 miles per second, but as we can all see and understand, light is blocked, diverted and broken down, by simple dust, amount many things in space. Space is alive with matter.

We have already debunked this error of yours.

Please read the posts that have been kind enough to explain vacuums to you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, unfortunately they have been sold a bill of goods. They don't even know the purpose of Jesus Christ, which does not make any sense unless there was a perfect, sinless Creation and no death prior to Adam's sin. The would be no purpose for God to send His Son in the form of a perfect Man to be sacrificed, once and for all, for the atonement of our sins. No reason to be born of a virgin, lead a perfect sinless life and be crucified for telling the truth, dead and buried and risen again. Christ would have had no reason to turn water into wine, cure the sick, heal the blind, the lame, the leper. Preach the gospel and the uphold the scriptures including Creation, the Fall, the Flood, and man other literal narrative histories. When someone like Dogen adopts the latest false progressive brand of pseudo-Christianity in order to "fit-in" with the atheists and evolutionists it makes no sense and is a complete abomination and corruption of Christianity and tyhe Bible. Jesus upheld the truth of the Bible - the Old Testament and His Word - which is very clear when it is plain historical narrative. There is no getting around that. People like you and Dogen and even educated people like Francis Collins will NEVER directly address the conflicts their belief poses. For example the six days of creation. The Bible makes it crystal clear what it meant, and then it is affirmed and reaffirmed throughout numerous times and even so by Jesus and the apostles. All these alternative interpretations are simply lies. I have much more respect for an atheist like Richard Dawkins, because even though he lies at times and exaggerates, at least he doesn't pretend that the Bible is saying something it clearly isn't. Note that even Dawkins recognizes these evolutionists who claim to be Christians only hurts their own position for obvious reasons. I agree with him. Logically, You're either an atheist/evolutionists or Christian YEC. The former being illogical due to the "Nothing and nobody plus time equals all life in the universe". At least Christianity has a an intelligent Creator to explain it's origin. Evolution and atheism do not. They only have, "We're working on it", which is a cop out.

Wow. Just wow.

Clearly we have found another area with you are completely uneducated on.

Actually my "brand" of Christianity is based on the original historical teachings of Jesus understood within the framework of the history, culture and politics that prevailed in his time and place.

There is nothing "progressive" in my views which are based on the best and most comprehensive academic and theological research we have available.

Your views represent 2,000 years of evolution of thought which have clouded and occulted the original historical understandings of Christianity. Yours is a derived religion that has gradually crept further and further off track. The further it gets off track, the more damage it does.

[Hint] Jesus was not sacrificed for our sins. That notion did not appear in the historic record till 1095 a.d (if memory serves... it actually could be 1195 a.d.).

The very idea of substitutionary sacrifice (also called Substitutionary atonement) would have been considered to be an abomination by Jesus.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

The more you interact with genius, the more it rubs off on you, but since your thinking processes are different, you will likely build a hybrid of the two minds.
There are many workers that are uneducated as society claims, but when you see them work and especially if you get to work with them and discuss the work, you come to see just how brightly they burn and in the many ways it will come to affect you and yours.
'

Clearly you have never interacted with genius. I can honestly say I have.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and by the way. I love science. You HATE science. Contemporary, operation science does not need evolution. Period. You ask any successful scientist, Nobel winners, whatever, would their achievements have been any different if evolution were not true. Of course not! Evolution has never influenced any practical science. It is the study of the historical past which cannot be repeated so has no influence on any science. You are the one wasting your time on something that evidently NEVER happened and even if it did has no consequence on current science! It is pure ideology and science doesn't need it, doesn't require it, doesn't depend on it; has no need for it at all. Plus, there are numerous scientific evidences -in fact much more - supporting a young earth creation than old earth evolution. You ignore all that. There is no mechanism found for evolution. You ignore that. There are no transitional fossils. You ignore that. There is evidence of intelligent design throughout the universe and especially in biology. You ignore all that. It is you that ignores science. So you can go to hell Chimney calling me an anti-science nut as you clearly are the nutcase rejecting science.

LOL. Hysterical.

To summarize your point:

Blah, blah, blah, because that is what I believe no matter what the real evidence is.

Beautiful.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're clueless and a waste of my time.

Translation: I don't even know enough to argue with you.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is your mythunderstanding of the Bible. Jesus mention the stories in context of teaching his disciples about spiritual truths, no in a manor of simply affirming literal truth (an expression that would not have even made sense to people at that time).
I have recommended the book "Speaking Christian" by Marcus Borg to you more than once. It is a book that can take you beyond the modern distortions of who Christ was and what he actually taught IN THE CONTEXT of Jesus' place and time.
You espouse Kindergarten Christianity, which is necessary place to begin, but you need to move beyond the popular myths about Jesus and get down to the historic facts before you can progress.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahem. You will return to the post where I yesterday showed you two sources explaining that K-Ar dating is accurate down to about 100,000 years.
Once again, you are demanding that we use a carpenter's tape to measure the length of a microbe, then claiming that carpenter's tapes don't work because all we can say is "the microbe was less than 1 mm long".
Absurd.
No, the article STATED that K-Ar was accurate down to 100,000 years. STATING is not DEMONSTRATING.
I'll tell you what's absurd.
You peddle as science cheap evolutionist BS.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am calling this projection rather than an unsupported assertion. Certainly it is both but I am trying to keep the scoring tight but fair.
<quoted text>
Correct.
<quoted text>
You are in trouble here. The post is almost over and this is just an irrelevant piece of trivia about Kelvin's personal beliefs. No science in it. Just religious opinion..
<quoted text>
There we go. I knew you would pull it off. Your amazing run of unsupported assertions continues.
Amazing!
Kelvin was not the only eminent scientist who claimed that scientific evidence for ID exists. Add to the list Einstein, Newton, and Pasteur.
Of course, you've decided that anyone who rejects the evo-fairy is a moron b definition.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

<quoted text>
No, you don't seem to understand what qualifies as evidence.

Second if you offer a theory it must be able to better predict what will be found in the universe than current theory. Your so called theory fails this test entirely.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 134,721 - 134,740 of171,372
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 13 min Bill 112,795
Big Bang? 19 min TurkanaBoy 104
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 43 min wondering 105
Chicken or the egg. Lets settle this 1 hr TurkanaBoy 44
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 1 hr wondering 26
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr wondering 133,974
Modern YEC is Not An Aberration of Traditional ... 1 hr TurkanaBoy 113
•••
•••