Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180392 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#138248 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimbo, there is no telling with you.
A bit more on the black hole at the center of our galaxy. Of course we have never observed any light from it, we have observed stars orbiting it. That means we know exactly how much it weighs:
http://www.nsf.gov/about/history/nsf0050/astr...

But how can we know how much it weighs unless we know how fast it spins!

I crack me up.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#138249 Jun 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the above supported ID.
ID did not exist as a concept till 1982.
Pasteur was a creationist.
Einstein supported evolution.
Newton cannot be classified by any of those terms as none of them existed at the time. He was a heretic by all accounts but a theistic heretic.
<quoted text>
Got your unsupported assertion point.
100% BS

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138250 Jun 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're parroting dogma again.
You know nothing about science to make such an asinine statement.
I's obvious that you have adopted such an absurd position because evolutionary biology is entirely unprovable.
Thus, in order to defend your pet little theory, you are required to re-invent standards of science.

Hysterical.

Go back to lighting your own farts.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#138251 Jun 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Newton believed in Alchemy as well, does that make it possible to turn lead into gold with magical incantations, light, and funny water?
So, according to Kitten, Newton, the greatest scientist in history, was a moron. Typical consummate arrogance of a spineless atheist.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#138252 Jun 23, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Presuppositional apologetics and arguments from ignorance do not make for a compelling case.
Duh? Which way did he go George?
One way or another

United States

#138253 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimbo, there is no telling with you.
A bit more on the black hole at the center of our galaxy. Of course we have never observed any light from it, we have observed stars orbiting it. That means we know exactly how much it weighs:
http://www.nsf.gov/about/history/nsf0050/astr...
Ok, but I didn't challenge that.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#138254 Jun 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
So, according to Kitten, Newton, the greatest scientist in history, was a moron. Typical consummate arrogance of a spineless atheist.
No idiot, it is easy to show that Newton had huge flaws too.

You cannot use him as a source for a subject that he had practically no knowledge about.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#138255 Jun 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hysterical.
Go back to lighting your own farts.
Either play nice or I'll tell Nurse Ratched on you.

http://fysheroes.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/...

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#138256 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong idiot. The whole time I have been here I could count the number times I have posted in that thread on the fingers of one hand. And it has usually been rather late in the posting day so I don't think I have earned any points in that thread.
Thu, June 20th
Wed, June 19th
Sat, June 8th
Mon, June 3rd
Mon, May 27th
Mon, May 20th

Now I didn't read them or count nor do I know if you got points for them but just in a month you are already out of fingers to count on that one hand plus having to use fingers on the other hand. With that said I will leave it to you. You will wear the crown again this week and start chasing it again later tonight because it is a ritual you perform everyday, week after week. LMFAO

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#138257 Jun 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
But how can we know how much it weighs unless we know how fast it spins!
I crack me up.
Don't go too deeply into Jimbo mode. It is a one way trip.

Look at the dark lord. Only two months ago he was an adolescent teen in London with terminal acne. Now he is an obese middle aged man, typing from his basement. He too took that trip to insanity.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138258 Jun 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet another dodge.
You are losing miserably, Dogen.

Unsupported assertion noted and counted.

To bad you cannot counter the facts.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I already gave you the quote you were in error about.
That refutes your thesis.
As you can look up K-Ar dating on a plethora of sites and get the same general range you are not just being stupid; you are being INTENTIONALLY stupid.
Anyhoot, you get the point for the unsupported assertion. Your streak remains.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138259 Jun 23, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, the proof that all you Evos claimed that there was only one black hole per galaxy for quite a long time is on this very thread, if anyone cares to go look.

I am calling you a liar.

You are the one that made that claim.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138260 Jun 23, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have no idea what is going on and so cannot even comment. So what does a fool do? You comment anyway!

You are one to talk. You don't even understand Christianity. You have just been fed pablum and you have sucked it up without understanding.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#138261 Jun 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMFAO.
You don't even understand what a hypothesis is.
I bet you can't even DEFINE what the word 'hypothesis' means in science.
You clearly do not understand what the word 'evidence' means in science. Hint: unsupported assertion =/= evidence.
Children must play.
Remember where you claimed there is only one black hole per galaxy! LOL.
Remember spin gravity!
Loving it!
It's truly embarrassing to listen to an ignoramus such as yourself pretend to lecture someone about science...
Something that you know absolutely nothing about.
We don't accept your fairytales about birds sprouting wings and life forming from slime sprinkled with pixie dust.
You can wallow in your BS about the evo-fairy, but don't peddle your stories as science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138262 Jun 23, 2013
Believer wrote:
Serious respectful ( and probably "stupid") question, but please explain to me how we can be certain what "lives" in a galaxy billions of lightyears from our galaxy.
If the further we go into space, the farther we go back in time, does that mean that one we reach the edge of eternity or end of infinity we enter space beyond time?
Would someone address this for me?

No. When we look out into space we are, essentually, looking back in time because it takes the light we are seeing time to get here. So we see the nearest star as it was a little over 4 years ago. We see the most distant galaxies as they were over 12 billion years ago. But as we go out into space we will not go back in time (unless we could exceed the velocity of light which seems impossible).

Is that understandable to you?

Think of sound waves. If you hear lightening 6 seconds after the flash it is about a mile away. If you get in your car and go toward where the lightening hit you are not going back in time.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138263 Jun 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
100% BS

You are just trying to run up your unsupported assertion count.

Here are the facts that I posted and you "responded" to. If you cannot refute them then they stand.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the above supported ID.
ID did not exist as a concept till 1982.
Pasteur was a creationist.
Einstein supported evolution.
Newton cannot be classified by any of those terms as none of them existed at the time. He was a heretic by all accounts but a theistic heretic.
<quoted text>
Got your unsupported assertion point.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138264 Jun 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

Show us where she said that?

I am calling this an unsupported assertion AND a lie. Sort of extra credit.

She said Newton did alchemy.

Newton also practiced demonology, divination and did not believe Jesus was God.

These are all facts and none of them state that Newton was not a great scientist nor imply that he was a moron.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#138265 Jun 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one to talk. You don't even understand Christianity. You have just been fed pablum and you have sucked it up without understanding.
Projection.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138266 Jun 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't go too deeply into Jimbo mode. It is a one way trip.
Look at the dark lord. Only two months ago he was an adolescent teen in London with terminal acne. Now he is an obese middle aged man, typing from his basement. He too took that trip to insanity.

Dark Load just posts incoherent gibberish and has from day 1. Jimbo can't be blamed for that.

He can be blamed for a lot of things.... just not that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#138267 Jun 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
It's truly embarrassing to listen to an ignoramus such as yourself pretend to lecture someone about science...
Something that you know absolutely nothing about.
We don't accept your fairytales about birds sprouting wings and life forming from slime sprinkled with pixie dust.
You can wallow in your BS about the evo-fairy, but don't peddle your stories as science.

You don't know any more science than Jimbo does.

I would be disappointed if someone as dumb as you agreed with my posts. That would be evidence that I am way off track.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... 7 min Uncle Sam 482
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min Dogen 67,844
Curious dilemma about DNA 28 min Subduction Zone 454
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 59 min Dogen 28,723
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 1 hr Dogen 3,591
What does the theory of evolution state? 1 hr pshun2404 188
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Genesis Enigma 161,081
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Sat Regolith Based Li... 221,395
More from around the web