Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 20 comments on the Feb 24, 2008, www.scientificblogging.com story titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#137610 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You already linked that article and you failed to acknowledge that a virus was not "revived". You have no clue what you're talking about.
Ya know you're doing a good job when they keep using name calling against you on a constant basis and the more that come at you, the more of an impact against them, that you are making.

Keep up the good work.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#137611 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Einstein, Newton, Kelvin and other brilliant scientists saw evidence of intelligent design through scientific observation. Your arrogant dismissal of overwhelming evidence only reveals your ignorance.
You assume that a blue spruce tree proofed into existence out of nothing, because you have no concept or appreciation for the complexity of biological systems.
I would love to see this evidence that I hear you crowing about my little banty rooster. To date, it has not been shown and I find that strange since the claims are that it is self evident.

You have no understanding or biological systems period.
One way or another

United States

#137612 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really?
Show me the data...
Did they inject the patient's serum into a laboratory animal and produce disease?
You have no concept of biology to make such an asinine statement.
While you vainly attempt to ridicule me in the process, you are making an even bigger fool of yourself.
Yea, but they're too stupid to care.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#137613 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The dogma of mutations producing complex adaptations is a myth that has been propagated for decades to justify the tenets of Darwinism.
Mutations are beneficial in science fiction movies...not in the real world.
Teenage mutant Ninja turtles and their rat mentor emerge out of a sewer in fairytales.
In the real world, mutations result in a depressed immune system, non-viability, cancer, etc.
You cannot effectuate positive change by random rearrangements of genetic code. It is mathematically impossible, regardless of whatever power you ascribe to natural selection and genetic drift.
All you can do is hide behind the "millions of years can create anything" fantasy.
You mean like a mutation that allows some of the population to digest lactose as adults. Not only is this a mutation, different populations have different mutations. So with this one we get an example of convergent evolution thrown in for free.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#137614 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
As a self-proclaimed biophysicist, I am, frankly, stunned by your abject ignorance of science.
This coming from someone who thinks intelligent design is science.
HTS wrote:
Surely as a biophysicist you have some appreciation for laws of mathematics.
There are no "laws of mathematics." Well, some people refer to the transitive property and other properties of mathematics as "laws." But, beyond that, there are not "laws." At least, not in the way there are scientific laws. And, scientific laws are nothing more than relationships between various phenomena. Lightning flashes, thunder booms, time between is proportionate to distance of lightning from listener. Law. Laws are not the be-all end-all big dogs of science that creationists like to think they are. That's reserved for theories. You know, those things that you would call equivalent to a wild-assed guess?
HTS wrote:
Your relativistic worldview cannot supercede the authoritarian constraints of probability. The simplistic parroting of the molecular homology argument that you employ is laughable.
I'll have some vinaigrette with the word salad, thanks.
HTS wrote:
No one has ever disputed molecular homology, so why do you keep bringing it up? You are not proving anything. All you are doing is shouting to the world that you're a flaming atheist who thinks that if God designed DNA, he would have done it differently.
The point is, if you were designing something, and you were omnipotent and omniscient, would you create something as flawed as humans?
HTS wrote:
As I'm sure you must be familiar with basic concepts of mathematics, surely you understand that you cannot throw random mutations into a population and expect to ever result in a meaningful gene.
That's neither math nor science.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#137615 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give the correct analogy of your logic.
I can train in one month to jump over a four foot fence.
Therefore, with one year of training I will be able to jump over a 45 foot fence.
I bet that there would be a line to see you jump in a lake.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#137616 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really?
Show me the data...
Did they inject the patient's serum into a laboratory animal and produce disease?
You have no concept of biology to make such an asinine statement.
While you vainly attempt to ridicule me in the process, you are making an even bigger fool of yourself.
You tard, you know they did not have to go that far.

So is it to be dishonesty and lies from you for the rest of the day?

And please, you should at least not lie to yourself. By your running away and not agreeing to the most minor of tests of your honesty you have shown that you not only know that you are wrong. You are a coward to boot,

Level 9

Everett, WA

#137617 Jun 21, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know you're doing a good job when they keep using name calling against you on a constant basis and the more that come at you, the more of an impact against them, that you are making.
Keep up the good work.
It is not name calling when you tell a moron he is a moron. And we have demonstrated it time and again. But then, you know that from experience on the receiving end too.

Actually it is a bad sign when an obvious moron agrees with you. Say somebody who has delusions about being able to do science in any shape or form.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#137618 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
As a self-proclaimed biophysicist, I am, frankly, stunned by your abject ignorance of science. Surely as a biophysicist you have some appreciation for laws of mathematics. Your relativistic worldview cannot supercede the authoritarian constraints of probability. The simplistic parroting of the molecular homology argument that you employ is laughable.
No one has ever disputed molecular homology, so why do you keep bringing it up? You are not proving anything. All you are doing is shouting to the world that you're a flaming atheist who thinks that if God designed DNA, he would have done it differently.
As I'm sure you must be familiar with basic concepts of mathematics, surely you understand that you cannot throw random mutations into a population and expect to ever result in a meaningful gene.
Whole post= God done it because I believe so.
Try again moron.
You are nothing but a science hijacking denier of truth.
In other words , A GD Liar.
One way or another

United States

#137619 Jun 21, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I bet that there would be a line to see you jump in a lake.
There would be lines miles long to see the faces that go with the stupidity, you morons spout.
One way or another

United States

#137620 Jun 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not name calling when you tell a moron he is a moron. And we have demonstrated it time and again. But then, you know that from experience on the receiving end too.
Actually it is a bad sign when an obvious moron agrees with you. Say somebody who has delusions about being able to do science in any shape or form.
Tell the other morons like yourself, they may believe you. Lol
Elohim

Branford, CT

#137621 Jun 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Parroting the same recycled atheist BS will get you nowhere. You're getting really desperate.
LMFAO!! Parroting the same recycled debunked creationist bullshit makes laugh raucously!

Level 9

Everett, WA

#137622 Jun 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Tell the other morons like yourself, they may believe you. Lol
Jimbo, you are a lying moron and you know it.

Honest people find no need to change their user name every month or so.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#137623 Jun 21, 2013
What is truly pitiful about HST is that he is afraid to openly say what he believes and why.

His personal beliefs are extremely threatened by the theory of evolution. So much so that all he can think to do is to try to debunk evolution by any means. That includes quoting out of context people who believe in evolution or quote mining. Claiming support from various people simply by their religious beliefs, even though it is clear that regardless of their religious beliefs that they still believe in classic evolution, Einstein for example. Or even trot out people who believe in common decent but don't believe in traditional evolution, in this case I mean Behe.

How's That takes solace wherever he can find it. Regardless that all of those people would quickly point out that HST is an idiot too.

So I will ask HST again, I don't expect an honest answer.

What do you believe and why HST?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#137624 Jun 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Or purloin someone else's as he sometime does.

Or lie about his 'science' never being refuted.

Or resort to calling everyone morons at the drop of an anti-psychotic pill

Or blame his failings on Jews/queers/congress/everyone else but him

Or accuse posters on here of working for the government when people disagree with him (I kid you not)

At least he is consistent, in an unstable way
HTS

Englewood, CO

#137625 Jun 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Whole post= God done it because I believe so.
Try again moron.
You are nothing but a science hijacking denier of truth.
In other words , A GD Liar.
You don't sound like a scientist.
Your entire worldview is: evolutiondunit because I refuse to believe in God.
Here are the words of one of your own...
Dr. George Wald, 1967 recipient of Nobel prize in medicine:

"I do not want to believe in God. Therefore I choose to believe what I know is scientifically impossible...spontaneous generation leading to evolution..."

Every once in awhile you stumble across an intellectually-honest atheist.
One way or another

United States

#137626 Jun 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Your deceit precedes you. Since you Evo morons have nothing of value, we can only expect what the dumbed down school systems taught you.

If you ever grow up, you might be able to contribute new thinking that can't be refuted, like the following.

Science claims space is a vacuum, while science also claims its not!
By Jim Ryan

The speed of light test done in a vacuum on earth is not what the test between the earth and moon show, because man can achieve a totally closed and complete vacuum, while space cannot. Space has trillions of tons of dust, if you believe in star nurseries, as science claims, coupled with billions of miles of gas clouds, trillions of tons of plasma, from the billions of suns and their ejections, trillions of tons of cosmic rays that all tend to divert and break up light, from as close as the moon, as science proves.

There is no vacuum in space, the kind that man can bring about on earth, ENTIRELY DEVOID of matter, because that is the only way that test could show light traveling at 186,00 miles per Test/ speed of light theory

If science really wanted to test speed of light theory, science could add a simple laser light to any of its probes and when the probe got say a million miles away from earth, it could send its laser light back to earth.

The most recent earth to moon and back, light test, showed that only single photons made it back to the collectors. Do scientists really expect light to travel billions of light years through space and be more than just single photons?

Trillions of tons of matter is all through out space, according to science.

Science claims space is a vacuum.

vacuum[ vak-yoom,-yoo-uh&#8201;m,- yuh&#8201;m ]
noun
1. a space entirely devoid of matter.
2. an enclosed space from which matter, especially air, has been partially removed so that the matter or gas remaining in the space exerts less pressure than the atmosphere (plenum).
3. the state or degree of exhaustion in such an enclosed space.

To have star nurseries,--plural, as science claims and it takes dust beyond measure almost, to create a star, never mind many stars in many nurseries, as science claims, science contradicts itself terribly.

MISSING DARK MATTER LOCATED - INTER-GALACTIC SPACE IS FILLED WITH DARK MATTER

On many science web sites, science claims there is almost no matter in space.

Researchers at IPMU and Nagoya University used large-scale computer simulations and recent observational data of gravitational lensing to reveal how dark matter is distributed around galaxies.

Galaxies have no definite "edges", the new research concludes. Instead galaxies have long outskirts of dark matter that extend to their nearby galaxies; the inter-galactic space is not empty but filled with dark matter.

First science claims space is almost devoid of matter and yet science claims enough dust to fill star nurseries, while suns eject plasma and more, along with all the cosmic rays and now dark matter fills space and supposedly, keeps each galaxy together.

http://www.ipmu.jp/node/1222

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#137627 Jun 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Explain evolve
Science by Jim Ryan
Then show us the proof, show the first habilis skull with the first small change, then the second habilis skull with the first and second change combined, then the third habilis skull, with the first change, the second change and the third change, all in the third skull. Then show the rest. Easy peasy, cheesy squeezy.
Fcuk off dude....you don't look or listen to proofs, you just want to argue.
One way or another

United States

#137628 Jun 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
What is truly pitiful about HST is that he is afraid to openly say what he believes and why.
His personal beliefs are extremely threatened by the theory of evolution. So much so that all he can think to do is to try to debunk evolution by any means. That includes quoting out of context people who believe in evolution or quote mining. Claiming support from various people simply by their religious beliefs, even though it is clear that regardless of their religious beliefs that they still believe in classic evolution, Einstein for example. Or even trot out people who believe in common decent but don't believe in traditional evolution, in this case I mean Behe.
How's That takes solace wherever he can find it. Regardless that all of those people would quickly point out that HST is an idiot too.
So I will ask HST again, I don't expect an honest answer.
What do you believe and why HST?
You morons are too stupid to discuss science on her level, so you have to attack her personally and she won't give you any personal information, which infuriates you morons. Lol
HTS

Englewood, CO

#137629 Jun 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Keep up the good work.
Thanks, it's entertaining to watch these morons implode as their religion capitulates to scientific fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 3 min MADRONE 1,368
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 29 min Blitzking 160,950
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Zog Has-fallen 18,691
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Chimney1 141,287
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 7 hr Bumper Sticker Boy 13,670
No Place For ID? 13 hr GTID62 1
Guadeloupe Woman Found (1812 (Mar '10) Apr 23 MikeF 73
More from around the web