Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Read more: www.scientificblogging.com 178,503

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Read more
LowellGuy

United States

#130956 May 21, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
His statement is true... Life is far to complex to be blown into existence by impossible random chance... Do some Christians believe in evolution? Of course but only driven by design...
When asked where information to benefit a species come from we get the God (designer) Natural Selection... How is it the evolutionist cannot see the religion in this?
Natural selection doesn't create any mutations of any kind. You again demonstrate your profound ignorance.

What is the Dunning-Kruger effect?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#130957 May 21, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
This is my assessment of you KK:
You side step every question with a question and/or you throw a curveball and add more in the mix while not answering anything or giving a direct answer to any question.
You will argue over anything for the attention for you know someone will reply back to you and that is attention you are getting and your eyes light up and a smile comes across your face when you see someone reply to you.
You are stuck in the middle on God/evolution. Either you believe in God but don't want to because bad things happen and you can't understand why so you are here to argue out your doubts hoping to find answers to believe he is a myth or you don't believe in God but want to so you come here to argue out your doubts, again looking for answers to believe he is real.
It's not sidesteppping to ask YOU to explain and define a scientific term you are using loosely and obviously without knowing what it means.

We aren't going to buy your low-minded religious dogma just because you assert it, and we WILL continue to correct your ignorant misunderstandings of science and expose your repeated and habitual Christian LIES about it.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#130958 May 21, 2013
It is rather hilarious that How's That for Stupid keeps nitpicking at evolution. In science there are always are going to be some unanswered questions. Luckily for me (so that moron cannot claim victory) he is years behind on the research.

Of course that is a tactic of creatards. They go to the cutting edge of research and ask questions about works that are in progress. If we don't have the answers quite yet they try to claim victory. That is what they did with the bacterial flagellum years ago. Now that it is well understood do you see any of the tards apologizing or taking back their claims? No, many of them never got the note not to ask about that particular example any longer.

HST, until you find evidence that supports your beliefs you lose. And so called evidence against evolution is not support for creationism.

One more time, it is an indisputable fact that the scientific evidence to date supports only the theory of evolution. There is no scientific evidence that supports creationism.
LowellGuy

United States

#130959 May 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
How did I shoot myself in the foot?
It is clear that you still do not understand the post.
Let me put it in simple terms so that even a tard could understand it. Yes, you had one point right, in the past these were taken out by natural selection. They are not now. That means the so called "genetic entropy" that you have been touting is not supported by this article. Evolution occurred before we improved our lot enough so that borderline mutations are not eliminated.
I think the person with the hole in his foot his you. You have no support from this article anymore of genetic entropy.
Apparently, genetic entropy is caused by modern hygiene and medicine. So, genetic entropy doesn't affect wildlife. Whoops!

Level 9

Everett, WA

#130960 May 21, 2013
See you in a few hours.

Tell me if HST finally sees the light.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#130961 May 21, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, genetic entropy is caused by modern hygiene and medicine. So, genetic entropy doesn't affect wildlife. Whoops!
Or man before civilization. As I said the person with the hole in his foot was Urb.
LowellGuy

United States

#130962 May 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
From your questions, I must assume that you don't know any of the answers yourself.
Therefore, like all DarwinBots, you simply deny that complexity exists. If I am wrong, then tell me what you think complexity is.
If you don't give the standard being applied for relative terms, it's foolish to comment until the standard is defined.

Is $100 a lot of money?

Is a mile a long distance?

Is a year a long time?
LowellGuy

United States

#130963 May 21, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Call me any name you like. I won't stoop to your level. For it makes your beliefs no more believable but it does say you must have doubt about what you believe to resort to name calling. Very childish but to each his own.
So, you've ruled out that you're a jacktard. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#130964 May 21, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
This is my assessment of you KK:
You side step every question with a question and/or you throw a curveball and add more in the mix while not answering anything or giving a direct answer to any question.
You will argue over anything for the attention for you know someone will reply back to you and that is attention you are getting and your eyes light up and a smile comes across your face when you see someone reply to you.
You are stuck in the middle on God/evolution. Either you believe in God but don't want to because bad things happen and you can't understand why so you are here to argue out your doubts hoping to find answers to believe he is a myth or you don't believe in God but want to so you come here to argue out your doubts, again looking for answers to believe he is real.
Interesting, but you are way off, mostly. I simply want to encourage you to betray your ignorance and lack of education for the world to see, thus, demonstrating to future generations why remaining ignorant and uneducated is not a good thing. This will destroy the delusion and break more of the indoctrination you religious nuts are practicing. The "reason you post here" that you posted, is actually a projection from you, the same reason there are street preachers and other such insane people trying to convert everyone. You convert people to say to yourself "well, they believe it too, so it must be true." You doubt, because you know that you don't know what you are claiming to know.

On another thread you admitted to not studying evolution at all, thus you have also not studied any biology. Attempting to address things which you know nothing about is a very clear display of delusion.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#130965 May 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
From your questions, I must assume that you don't know any of the answers yourself.
Therefore, like all DarwinBots, you simply deny that complexity exists. If I am wrong, then tell me what you think complexity is.
So, you are avoiding asking a direct question. That makes you dishonest.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#130966 May 21, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't give the standard being applied for relative terms, it's foolish to comment until the standard is defined.
Is $100 a lot of money?
Is a mile a long distance?
Is a year a long time?
If you simply refuse to answer the original question, I'll rephrase it...
What scientific basis there for concluding that the observance of isolated mutations provides evidence that man evolved from totally different forms of life?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#130967 May 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<......>
HST, until you find evidence that supports your beliefs you lose. And so called evidence against evolution is not support for creationism.
<......>
He has already got that evidence :-
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
<......>
when you wilfully deny your creator and the vast evidence of His existence, you loose the ability to even think logically.
But he seems unwilling to share it, even after I asked him ......
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Erhhh, and this SCIENTIFIC evidence of His existence is ?
Don't worry - we know you don't have any:-
You just parrot religious dogma and pretend its science (HEY - waddya know? Winning debates IS easy).
Now if you are going to respond to this post, answer the point put to you (hint: you made a claim - back it up)
<mugwump ensures he isn't drinking coffee anywhere near his keyboard>
He seemed to ignore the request to actually back up his claim, strange as he responded to subsequent posts by others.

Dunno maybe he wants to keep the evidence to himself - SELFISH OR WHAT !!!!!

Or maybe he was just parroting religious dogma that he can't justify

Its 50/50 in my book

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#130968 May 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
If you simply refuse to answer the original question, I'll rephrase it...
What scientific basis there for concluding that the observance of isolated mutations provides evidence that man evolved from totally different forms of life?
Accumulation.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#130969 May 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
On another thread you admitted to not studying evolution at all, thus you have also not studied any biology. Attempting to address things which you know nothing about is a very clear display of delusion.
Actually I said I don't study it much meaning "have and do" but again you do you normal and change what was said.

Evolution has three aspects: hereditary changes, appearance of new species, and a theory explaining both of these. Currently there are several theories of evolution so a precise definition of evolution is impossible. Most definitions of evolution make no claims as to the existence or non-existence of a God, though evolution is often associated with atheism.

How many different theories are out there. Many because they keep changing them because they really have no idea what really happened. As I said once before what you all believe now will change in 20-40 or more years as the theories that are around now get out dated by new theories of the future generations.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#130970 May 21, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I said I don't study it much meaning "have and do" but again you do you normal and change what was said.
Evolution has three aspects: hereditary changes, appearance of new species, and a theory explaining both of these. Currently there are several theories of evolution so a precise definition of evolution is impossible. Most definitions of evolution make no claims as to the existence or non-existence of a God, though evolution is often associated with atheism.
How many different theories are out there. Many because they keep changing them because they really have no idea what really happened. As I said once before what you all believe now will change in 20-40 or more years as the theories that are around now get out dated by new theories of the future generations.
Then why do you have a problem with something that is based on scientific fact?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#130971 May 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Accumulation.
You have an unbelievably simplistic mindset. And your logic is completely at odds with science. You can't simpy assume that because bacteria can mutate, that they can evolve into a carrot or a sponge or a giraffe. What I'm explaining to you are self evident facts.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#130972 May 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do you have a problem with something that is based on scientific fact?
A fact is something that is true with out a doubt and doesn't change. If those scientific facts were true they would not be forever changing them. What they call facts now will change in the future. So they are just theories of "guessing" or "we think" until something else or new proves us wrong. Fact is on both accounts Evolution and God, know one really knows, that is for sure a fact!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#130973 May 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You have an unbelievably simplistic mindset. And your logic is completely at odds with science. You can't simpy assume that because bacteria can mutate, that they can evolve into a carrot or a sponge or a giraffe. What I'm explaining to you are self evident facts.
Since evolution is without direction, no, a bacteria would not evolve into a carrot, the label of "carrot" has already been assigned to an existing organism that evolved.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#130974 May 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You have an unbelievably simplistic mindset. And your logic is completely at odds with science. You can't simpy assume that because bacteria can mutate, that they can evolve into a carrot or a sponge or a giraffe. What I'm explaining to you are self evident facts.
Still dodging my request to back up your claim - seriously it's getting a bit shameful now - I mean it was YOU that made the claim.
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Erhhh, and this SCIENTIFIC evidence of His existence is ?
Don't worry - we know you don't have any:-
You just parrot religious dogma and pretend its science (HEY - waddya know? Winning debates IS easy).
Now if you are going to respond to this post, answer the point put to you (hint: you made a claim - back it up)
<mugwump ensures he isn't drinking coffee anywhere near his keyboard>

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#130975 May 21, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
A fact is something that is true with out a doubt and doesn't change. If those scientific facts were true they would not be forever changing them. What they call facts now will change in the future. So they are just theories of "guessing" or "we think" until something else or new proves us wrong. Fact is on both accounts Evolution and God, know one really knows, that is for sure a fact!
Are you saying it is not a fact that the genetic material of offspring is different from that of the parent?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 13 min Denisova 159,633
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 18,450
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 1 hr Chimney1 1,056
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 20 hr Dogen 141,211
Humans DID evolve from apes! (Oct '14) Fri Chimney1 68
Poll How Do You View The New Millerite Adventist Inv... Apr 13 Zog Has-fallen 1
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) Apr 13 Denisova 360
More from around the web