Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
127,461 - 127,480 of 171,387 Comments Last updated 30 min ago

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then show the mechanism that prevents the changes from accumulating.
Genetic error checking and correction routines, deletereous mutations cause disease and death. The law of biogenesis. Organism locked forever in their own species. My law of non-macroevolution:

"All biological organisms have potentially unlimited genetic variation, restricted within their defined species (on very rare occasion, genus), regardless of ancestry or time.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
By Talkorigins? LOL!
When any of you creatards debunks any of the TalkOrigins articles then you can laugh. To date your record is zero.

Is is any wonder that creatards hate TalkOrigins with a passion?

TalkOrigins, putting the Tard in creatard for over ten years.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
(Lord, please give me patience.) Hair color and skin color are determined by the different genetic alleles that are determined at conception. This is basic Mendelian genetics. Read about Mendel's Pea plant experiment. Get a biology text. Learn about the basic mechanisms of heredity. Educate yourself. Learn about the Principle of Segregation and the Principle of Independent Assortment. Mutations have nothing at all to do with it!
Is your hair identical to one of your parents?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. The only reason I sound irritated is because I am tired of your constant lying.
And you are projecting once again. The only one following made up just so stories are you idiotic creatards.
Once again, why do you lie all of the time?
Why are you afraid to even learn what is and what is not scientific evidence?
I have absolutely no reason to lie. Totally unnecesary. It's so easy when you have the truth.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have absolutely no reason to lie. Totally unnecesary. It's so easy when you have the truth.
Then answer this simple question:

Why do you lie all of the time?

And yet you lied again. You know that you do not have the truth.

Is it possible that we have been wrong all along? Could he be a poe?

Only a poe would constantly lie while claiming not to lie.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then show the mechanism that prevents the changes from accumulating.
I told you... Improbability.
Evolutionists simply discount probability, believing that one vastly improbable event can and will occur after another, over and over again.
You think an eye can evolve from a light sensitive spot.....
It cannot, because the mutations producing such are too improbable from occuring.
Has anyone ever witnessed a single mutation that could represent one step of eye evolution?
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Then answer this simple question:
Why do you lie all of the time?
And yet you lied again. You know that you do not have the truth.
Is it possible that we have been wrong all along? Could he be a poe?
Only a poe would constantly lie while claiming not to lie.
Your embarrassing tirades only prove that evolution is your religion.
If you actually believed in science, you would welcome controversy with objectivity and self control.
Instead, you are emotionally attached to the notion that you are descended from a worm.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
If you actually believed in science, you would welcome controversy with objectivity and self control.
Instead, you are emotionally attached to the notion that you are descended from a worm.
Wrong again How's That for Stupid.

This whole kerfuffle between Urb and I arose last night when he asked for an example of a positive mutation. He did not think I could name one. Without trying I gave him three. He then went through the typical creatard exercises of lying, trying to move the goal posts and making a smoke screen.

I will ask you now, why do you creatards lie all of the time?

Why are you unwilling to learn what counts as evidence?

Are you like the rest of the creatards, without lying do you have nothing?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolutionists simply discount probability, believing that one vastly improbable event can and will occur after another, over and over again.
It cannot, because the mutations producing such are too improbable from occuring.
Has anyone ever witnessed a single mutation that could represent one step of eye evolution?
No, we do not discount probability. We are big fans of it. Probability is a huge supporter of the theory of evolution.

What we do laugh at are the failed arguments that you and other creatards try to make. You make one bad argument after another and keep forgetting that all of your arguments have been busted.

If you make a probability argument with a fatal flaw there is no point in going any further, is there?
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again How's That for Stupid.
This whole kerfuffle between Urb and I arose last night when he asked for an example of a positive mutation. He did not think I could name one. Without trying I gave him three. He then went through the typical creatard exercises of lying, trying to move the goal posts and making a smoke screen.
I will ask you now, why do you creatards lie all of the time?
Why are you unwilling to learn what counts as evidence?
Are you like the rest of the creatards, without lying do you have nothing?
No one has suggested that a mutation can never have a positive effect, although sickle cell trait is a very, poor example.
Evolution is not accomplished by a few isolated beneficial mutations involving single nucleotide substitutions.
. You cannot site a single example of a beneficial mutation that could be interpreted as a step in gradualistic improvement of a species.
You believe this has happened billions of times in the earth's history, so why is this such a difficult challenge?
If those three mutations are the best you can come up with, you don't have a case for evolution.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we do not discount probability. We are big fans of it. Probability is a huge supporter of the theory of evolution.
?
Please elaborate.
I've repeatedly asked for a peer-reviewed article that documents that a proposed mechanism of evolution is mathematically probable. All you've ever given me is perversions in statistical logic coupled with your never ending anti-science ranting.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, yeah, you don't know anything about science, do you?
I probably know more about science than you do. Speaking of the prophets, Daniel 1:4 "...and understanding science" "She blinded me with science..."

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has suggested that a mutation can never have a positive effect, although sickle cell trait is a very, poor example.
Evolution is not accomplished by a few isolated beneficial mutations involving single nucleotide substitutions.
. You cannot site a single example of a beneficial mutation that could be interpreted as a step in gradualistic improvement of a species.
You believe this has happened billions of times in the earth's history, so why is this such a difficult challenge?
If those three mutations are the best you can come up with, you don't have a case for evolution.
Actually you would be surprised. There are many creationists who deny exactly that. And please, you are in no position to even try to explain how evolution works.

And actually all three of my mutations meet your challenge.

You are showing your lack of understanding of evolution when you make foolish claims like you just did. You still seem to think that evolution has a "goal" it doesn't. The only goal is the survival of the genome. I know for someone like you who thinks he is something special that may be a bit disheartening. After never doing well at academics you could always comfort yourself with the thought that your God thought that you were special. Sorry, that is not the case.

We are always willing to help you. If you continue to wallow in stupidity you have no legitimate complaint when we ride you into the ground.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Please elaborate.
I've repeatedly asked for a peer-reviewed article that documents that a proposed mechanism of evolution is mathematically probable. All you've ever given me is perversions in statistical logic coupled with your never ending anti-science ranting.
And we have explained to you why that is a laughably idiotic request.

That is not what I meant when I said that probability is on our side. The ERV's argument that is a slam dunk for evolution does so with the only valid odds argument that I have ever seen.

You made your idiotic request only after you finally realized, I hope, that all of your odds arguments were worthless. Do you want to know why your request is foolish?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
It's pretty hard to identify when a beneficial mutation is
has been created, but microbiology has spotted a few. Mostly the presence of such mutation goes unnoticed or undiscovered as such.
But Our DNA has shown us certain markers of their history.
We call them ERVs and these are the signs of positive mutations that occurred. Here is one that is identified as a ongoing gradual implement of our genome. But without modern techniques of discovery, it too would have never been realized.

http://www.malariajournal.com/content/7/1/155

http://www.malariajournal.com/content/7/1/155
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
(Lord, please give me patience.) Hair color and skin color are determined by the different genetic alleles that are determined at conception. This is basic Mendelian genetics. Read about Mendel's Pea plant experiment. Get a biology text. Learn about the basic mechanisms of heredity. Educate yourself. Learn about the Principle of Segregation and the Principle of Independent Assortment. Mutations have nothing at all to do with it!
So, you agree that allelic frequency on a population can change over time.
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Bigfoot invented DNA. Is that a controversy in the scientific community? What if I get a million people to agree with me? Now is it a scientific controversy?

As soon as people have evidence and peer-reviewed research to back up their creationist arguments, they're just as real a scientific controversy as bigfoot inventing DNA.
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
How probable was it for one person in Florida to win the latest powerball jackpot? Did it happen?

If you had a mutation that led to radically better lungs, which led to bigger brains, which led to a new species of humanoids, would we trace the mutation millions of years back to that single person? Well, I suppose if everyone's DNA is catalogued we could, but otherwise, the answer is no. Would that mean the mutation never occurred?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Improbability is not a mechanism. Leaves defy probability every time they fall. Not to mention, accumulation is not an effect based on probability, it either happens or it doesn't. So, again, what is the mechanism that prevents changes from accumulating into more definable differences?

You should really consider actually learning about science some day, because I don't think you even know what a mechanism is.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Wait a sec you must be Cinderella.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by that AM? If you mean am I a JAP (Jewish American Princess) then yes but of course I'm not fictional.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••