Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,358)

Showing posts 127,141 - 127,160 of171,236
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is wonderful... But it's not this Jesus freak that is making claims against it...
Really? Which branch of science haven't you dismissed as BS?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously didn't understand what you posted.
I asked a question and, rather than answer it, all you can do is resort to insults.
You asked a stupid question that was answered by the article you didn't bother to read. An insult isn't an insult if it is a fact.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is wonderful... But it's not this Jesus freak that is making claims against it... It's people like you who assume fact that is not backed by scientific law... Has it ever been proven that energy can create mass? Ever? Is that one of my lies?
Has it ever been proven that life can spring up from chemical soup? Or random chance? Umm... No... But I guess that's just another one of my lies right?
You're goofy theory does not hold water... Sorry...
Perhaps if you used the right terminology it would help your cause. As it is you put yourself at a disadvantage in the debate by using words like "prove".

Of course if you used the right terminology then <GASP> you might have to agree with us. So far it has been shown to be possible that life arose on its own. In fact the more we learn the more possible it seems. That is not a good sign for creationists. And yes, it has been shown that energy can create matter. It has even been observed. The first to observe it, and eventually he won a Nobel Prize for this experiment was Patrick Blackett. In fact now we know that to crate truly empty space it takes energy. All of space is filled with virtual particles. Pieces of matter flashing in and out of existence. It takes a lot of energy to make a space where that is not happening.
HTS

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, well... on the one hand, we have all of the life sciences biology. biochemistry, etc.) and all of astronomy, cosmology, etc.
Probably 10 million supremely qualified people the world over.
And on the other hand, we have some hillbilly Jesus Freak who is afraid his little house of Jesus cards will totally collapse unless he spews lies and other nonsense about science.
That's a pretty easy choice for me to make -- and for intelligent, thoughtful, educated people. How about you?
You have no idea what you believe in, Gillete.
Biology doesn't tell us that man evolved from a worm.
Biochemistry doesn't tell us that birds evolved from reptiles
Cosmology doesn't tell us that there was a Big Bang.
Astronomy doesn't has nothing to do with evoluiton.

You blindly believe "10 million supremely qaualified people", but are incapable of defending a single challenge to your religion of evolution by actual personal knowledge.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You blindly believe "10 million supremely qaualified people", but are incapable of defending a single challenge to your religion of evolution by actual personal knowledge.
Once again we do not blindly follow the ten million people who know how evolution works, nor do we blindly ignore challenges.

Challenges are fun since they show whether our ideas are wrong not. If we can show how the challenger is wrong they his claims can be ignored. And we have debunked most, if not all, challengers.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I suppose anyone reading the thread knows that both I and others have presented you with one piece of irrefutable evidence for evolution after another, only to have you play the Attention Starved Denialist Asshole role.

And I don't "believe in" science. I accept it based on the evidence. We're not like you ignorant Jesus Freaks, now are we? LOL

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>DNA doesn't LOOK complex. It IS complex because it is a code that creates great complexities.
A computer code for the space shuttle launch is composed of 1's and 0"s.
A computer code for aa tic tac toe game is composed of 1's and 0's.
The computer code for the space shuttle is more complex than the code for the game. Neither code "looks" complex.
DNA is not so much a code as it is a record, it appears as coded because it is randomly laid. But it does not fit the definition of code.
It's just an easy thing to call it.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> DNA is not so much a code as it is a record, it appears as coded because it is randomly laid. But it does not fit the definition of code.
Yes, and then these dishonest apologists take the next step, which is, "Well, if it's a code, name me another code that isn't intelligently designed?"

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and then these dishonest apologists take the next step, which is, "Well, if it's a code, name me another code that isn't intelligently designed?"
Exactly

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
(We? LOL!) If YOU really knew what cells are made of you'd realize they are more complex than a modern city and were intelligently designed.
Keep clicking your heels together all you want Dorothy. It isn't going to make your beliefs any more true.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Keep clicking your heels together all you want Dorothy. It isn't going to make your beliefs any more true.
Be careful! She has flying monkeys and knows how to use them!
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> DNA is not so much a code as it is a record, it appears as coded because it is randomly laid. But it does not fit the definition of code.
What is the definition of a code?
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I suppose anyone reading the thread knows that both I and others have presented you with one piece of irrefutable evidence for evolution after another, only to have you play the Attention Starved Denialist Asshole role.
And I don't "believe in" science. I accept it based on the evidence. We're not like you ignorant Jesus Freaks, now are we? LOL
As usual, all you can do is parrot BS and spew religious bigotry.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU miss the point, as usual.
Creating something by intelligent human beings doesn't suggest, much less prove, that no intelligence is needed in its creation.
Here is an example of your logic...
Man can build a car from raw materials.
Therefore, a car can self assemble from raw materials.
SZ, your level of ignorance is truly staggering. I think the evo-koolaid has gone to your brain.
"They have developed the early pre-cells and shown how they from on their own.".... That is pure BS.
Go back and actually study the article.

I guess you have given up refuting the logic of this and are now up to unsupported assertions.

We can grind stones down and make sand. Does that mean sand in intelligently designed?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously didn't understand what you posted.
I asked a question and, rather than answer it, all you can do is resort to insults.

Nice dodge, but it does not mitigate the information found in the linked articles. But you know that, don't you. That is why the above dodge rather than addressing the information.
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What is the definition of a code?
Since you are asserting DNA is a code, isn't that up to you to define.

Just a thought

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't explain anything.
You posted an article which provided no insights into abiogenesis for reasons I articulated, and you throw a hissy fit and hurl insults, when I refute it. I won't accept evo-fairytales on blind faith like you do.

For insight into abiogenesis we need magic poofing.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I may have missed that. Where did you give the reference that the "consensus among all geneticists is deterioration" again?
Crow, 1997.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What is the definition of a code?

/
Noun
A system of words, letters, figures, or other symbols used to represent others, esp. for the purposes of secrecy.

https://www.google.com/search...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>

I think he is just an ignorant AWT.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 127,141 - 127,160 of171,236
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••