Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180393 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#129920 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dummy get a clue. Evolve means get better. Back then those species where at the top of there game. So to be where they are now that would mean they had to devolve, for they are less. LMFAO Get a clue idiot.
Show us a single scientific reference source that says "evolve" means "to get better."

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#129921 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Very very shallow answer. But it was expected from you.
Sometimes the truth is even more plain a simple than you.
I am exceptional , do be getting used to that.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129923 May 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No idiot...a light year is!
The distance *light travels in a year.
WOW you are just stupid as can be. Like I said "the distance in years it would take something traveling at the speed of light to get there, correct?" Example if it took something at the speed of light 15 years to get there,,, it would be 15 light years. I am sorry you can not comprehend things unless they are drawn out in crayon but that is your problem not mine because we can't draw things out for you in crayon here. Learn to keep up or get lost. LMFAO

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129924 May 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Show us a single scientific reference source that says "evolve" means "to get better."
Here is the definition of evolve. Look it up I copied and pasted it so you could bash me lol. "1.develop gradually: to develop something gradually, often into something MORE COMPLEX OR ADVANCED" You are the ones that go on about science so do tell your definition of evolve?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#129925 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand the evolve thing. It does not only apply to living things. Lets take for example the wright brothers plane. We have evolved that into so so much better now days. Get a clue
..."...the evolve thing"?

Wow.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129926 May 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Sometimes the truth is even more plain a simple than you.
I am exceptional , do be getting used to that.
I can tell you are very simple from you side stepping any answers and your talking in circles. lol

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129927 May 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you retard. Distance is NEVER measured in years, any more than weight is measured in inches or the energy in food is measured in troy ounces. Here's an idea: READ A SCIENCE BOOK.
Then do tell. What is a light year?? It is a simple question with a simple answer
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129928 May 13, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
First off, there's no such thing as "devolve".
What specifically prohibits "devolving". I thought you said evolution took random courses.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129929 May 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you retard. Distance is NEVER measured in years, any more than weight is measured in inches or the energy in food is measured in troy ounces. Here's an idea: READ A SCIENCE BOOK.
Here let me help you out: A light-year is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one Julian year which is a unit of measurement of time defined as exactly 365.25 days

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129930 May 13, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
..."...the evolve thing"?
Wow.
Again a shallow answer to something so simple. But I would expect nothing less from you. LMAO
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129931 May 13, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
As suggested earlier,'Ape' and Humans had a common ancestor 4-6 million years ago. One branch became what you're referring to as an 'Ape', another branch continued on a different branch that became Human.
BTW, Humans are considered to be members of the "Ape" family today.
More reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution
You might explain how they arrived at "4-6 ,Illinois years ago". Twenty five years ago, the dogma was "2 million years ago". No improvements in radiometric dating have occurred since then. Do you just blindly swallow whatever BS in currently peddled as "science"?

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129932 May 13, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
What specifically prohibits "devolving". I thought you said evolution took random courses.
It is pretty obvious they only have a limited one track mind. They believe things evolve one way but can't devolve(go in reverse and get worse). Wake the hellll up sheeple because Earth has been devolving for years. If you think Earth is better now than it was 200 years ago you are sheeple. technology has gotten better but the old Earth has devolved.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#129933 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW you are just stupid as can be. Like I said "the distance in years it would take something traveling at the speed of light to get there, correct?" Example if it took something at the speed of light 15 years to get there,,, it would be 15 light years. I am sorry you can not comprehend things unless they are drawn out in crayon but that is your problem not mine because we can't draw things out for you in crayon here. Learn to keep up or get lost. LMFAO

Again you imbecile , the speed of light is not the speed something else travels. It IS the speed of LIGHT. A light year is the distance IT travels in a year. NOTHING ELSE will travel this speed or distance in a year. When we say light years we aren't referring to anything else or "something" going this speed we are referring to
"light" going this speed and distance.
But you can say 15 light years, and we know it is about 90 million million miles. Or 1.41 ^17th meters or 950,200 AU.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129934 May 13, 2013
BTW, humans were not considered to be in the ape family 25 years ago.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129935 May 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
LG... You're making a fool out of yourself. A light year is a measurement of distance.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129936 May 13, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
First off, there's no such thing as "devolve".
Devolve: deteriorate: to deteriorate slowly over time. Look it up

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#129937 May 13, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

Evolution takes the path of survival, that is a variable to exactly what that means. As evolution sometimes takes a path to extinction.
It was a struggle that can end in failure, life throws everything it has at continued existence, what succeeds extinction evolves.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129938 May 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you imbecile , the speed of light is not the speed something else travels. It IS the speed of LIGHT. A light year is the distance IT travels in a year. NOTHING ELSE will travel this speed or distance in a year. When we say light years we aren't referring to anything else or "something" going this speed we are referring to
"light" going this speed and distance.
But you can say 15 light years, and we know it is about 90 million million miles. Or 1.41 ^17th meters or 950,200 AU.
Again you show your ignorance.'the distance in years it would take something "ANYTHING" traveling at the speed of light to get there in a year or years depending on if it was 1 or 15 light years away. So if there was a rocket that traveled at the speed of light from start to finish you are saying light would get there first? LMAO You are such an idiot you can't even see you are going on about something that was said in my first comment about it. jUST KEEP GOING FOR YOU JUST LOOK EVEN MORE OF AN IDIOT. lmfao

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#129939 May 13, 2013
HTS wrote:
BTW, humans were not considered to be in the ape family 25 years ago.
Humans were always in the ape family, We only had a separate branch because we thought we were significantly different than other apes. 25 years ago DNA showed we were very close to chimpanzees on the tree of life, putting us on a branch with them.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129940 May 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution takes the path of survival, that is a variable to exactly what that means. As evolution sometimes takes a path to extinction.
It was a struggle that can end in failure, life throws everything it has at continued existence, what succeeds extinction evolves.
What about flightless birds? Why wouldn't that be considered "devolving"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Science 67,179
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 21 min Subduction Zone 160,955
Curious dilemma about DNA 23 min Subduction Zone 367
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 26 min Subduction Zone 28,655
What location did life started in? 40 min Confucius 11
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) 48 min Confucius 1,766
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr Subduction Zone 221,262
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... 10 hr replaytime 332
More from around the web