Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129722 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did it say that in the NASA article? Unless you mean the 0.004 inches that is considered statistically insignificant.
I knew that if you kept reading it you would get it.

Congratulations you can eventually see the truth if you look hard enough. Now if you took the figure I gave and used the average density of meteors you would find that it would work out to that very small number.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129723 May 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine. What evidence do you have that supports your beliefs?
Why do you need proof that there is a God? What's the point? Would you live your life differently if you had indisputable proof? If He stood in front of you and said, I am the real deal, you would probably say you were hallucinating. Is it impossible to believe in someone greater than us who could have no beginning or end. People in general scoff at that which they cannot comprehend. I think the universe is too large for anyone to know for sure who or what "God" could possibly be. How does not believing make one's life better? At least for those that have faith believe that there is a heaven out there and hope to go there when they die. To me it’s pretty sad to believe that "man” is the best thing this universe has to offer.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129724 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you completely stupid? When two planets crash into each other, the speed of one of their spin won't have any effect on whether a large chunk or chunks will be thrown out from it. Sheesh. Ever see an asteroid collide with the Moon? Lots of pieces are thrown out into space from it, some fall back, some do not. It's not difficult to comprehend this basic stuff, it's like you WANT to live in your delusion.
Research what I said and you will understand what I said. It is in science studies.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129725 May 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew that if you kept reading it you would get it.
Congratulations you can eventually see the truth if you look hard enough. Now if you took the figure I gave and used the average density of meteors you would find that it would work out to that very small number.
I had already read that. But unlike you I don't get a high on something that is "considered statistically insignificant".

Which other studies show that could be due to numerous things like even just the heat and cold

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129726 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you need proof that there is a God? What's the point? Would you live your life differently if you had indisputable proof? If He stood in front of you and said, I am the real deal, you would probably say you were hallucinating. Is it impossible to believe in someone greater than us who could have no beginning or end. People in general scoff at that which they cannot comprehend. I think the universe is too large for anyone to know for sure who or what "God" could possibly be. How does not believing make one's life better? At least for those that have faith believe that there is a heaven out there and hope to go there when they die. To me it’s pretty sad to believe that "man” is the best thing this universe has to offer.
You are projecting here.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#129727 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Research what I said and you will understand what I said. It is in science studies.
I see no scientific papers that state what you stated in any of the databases.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129728 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Land mass is not planetary mass, moron. There's a pretty big difference. The mass of the PLANET is also growing.
DUH, Really?? Again what I said was the mass of land keeps growing, the(sphere)of the earth is not

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129729 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are projecting here.
Do you say because you don't believe in God? There are several questions in there. Why don't you answer them.

Why do you need proof that there is a God?
What's the point?
Would you live your life differently if you had indisputable proof?
Is it impossible to believe in someone greater than us who could have no beginning or end.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#129730 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
DUH, Really?? Again what I said was the mass of land keeps growing, the(sphere)of the earth is not
So then ... um ... where does the rock from meteorites go? The only way the planet could not be growing is if the meteorites landing here are somehow vanishing. So, where is that mass going?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#129731 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I had already read that. But unlike you I don't get a high on something that is "considered statistically insignificant".
Which other studies show that could be due to numerous things like even just the heat and cold
Nope, you missed that the first time around because the articles that I listed said the same thing.

You have been caught being a fool a couple of times at least. It is best to admit when you screwed up.

Meanwhile you have not given any evidence that supports your beliefs.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#129732 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't ask for proof of god. How dense are you?

You said you believed in creation by your god. What evidence do you have that supports those beliefs?

And why are you so down on man? It seems that you are looking for an excuse to cover up your bad behaviors.

Lastly you are using Pascals Wager, still. You do have quite a bit to lose if you are wrong. Do you support your church? You are supposed to give one tenth of your income to your church, and that does not include charitable giving. Are you claiming that that tenth of your earning power could not have been put to better use if there is no god? If you don't donate a tenth to your church that would make you a hypocrite. How much time do you spend going to church? If you are wrong couldn't that time have been better spent?

And you are using a rather poor version of Pascal's Wager. Why not use the new and improved version. Since there are thousands and thousands of possible gods why not believe in the one that has the best heaven? They are all equally probable.

My suggestion, if you are going the Pascal route then Pastarainism should be your religion.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129733 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I see no scientific papers that state what you stated in any of the databases.
There are actually 3 theories on where the moon came from.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/space/plan...

Look anything else up yourself

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#129734 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you say because you don't believe in God? There are several questions in there. Why don't you answer them.
Why do you need proof that there is a God?
What's the point?
Would you live your life differently if you had indisputable proof?
Is it impossible to believe in someone greater than us who could have no beginning or end.
If there was evidence of a god, it would open an entirely new field of science.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129735 May 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, you missed that the first time around because the articles that I listed said the same thing.
You have been caught being a fool a couple of times at least. It is best to admit when you screwed up.
Meanwhile you have not given any evidence that supports your beliefs.
This little video is all I saw that you posted.
http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/how-d ...

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#129736 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be a safe bet to say it has stopped or the earth would keep growing. The Earth is a particle in the universe but no longer attracts other particles as the theory of gravity says it was formed. Did Earth reach it growth limit?
"About 40,000 tons of space dust and rocks, the leftover wreckage of our solar system’s birth, fall to Earth each year."

http://astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/30_06/co...

Gravity is also what keeps each of the planets in orbit within the solar system, and the moons, and artificial satellites in orbit around the earth (and other planets).

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129737 May 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't ask for proof of god. How dense are you?
You said you believed in creation by your god. What evidence do you have that supports those beliefs?
And why are you so down on man? It seems that you are looking for an excuse to cover up your bad behaviors.
Lastly you are using Pascals Wager, still. You do have quite a bit to lose if you are wrong. Do you support your church? You are supposed to give one tenth of your income to your church, and that does not include charitable giving. Are you claiming that that tenth of your earning power could not have been put to better use if there is no god? If you don't donate a tenth to your church that would make you a hypocrite. How much time do you spend going to church? If you are wrong couldn't that time have been better spent?
And you are using a rather poor version of Pascal's Wager. Why not use the new and improved version. Since there are thousands and thousands of possible gods why not believe in the one that has the best heaven? They are all equally probable.
My suggestion, if you are going the Pascal route then Pastarainism should be your religion.
If my beliefs of God and Heaven being real turn out to be not true, then what do I have to lose when I die?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#129738 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
There are actually 3 theories on where the moon came from.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/space/plan...
Look anything else up yourself
Yet no scientific paper says what you posted.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#129739 May 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
If my beliefs of God and Heaven being real turn out to be not true, then what do I have to lose when I die?
Well, for one, you lose most of your possible life span, without the medical science you deny you would die around 20 years of age, more than likely. Without physics and other various sciences you'd have no computer, no phone, no clean water, and no food at your grocer. But most importantly, you personally will have wasted your life, since you obviously use your religion as an excuse to avoid learning anything at all.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129740 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet no scientific paper says what you posted.
And your scientific proof is where?

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129741 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, for one, you lose most of your possible life span, without the medical science you deny you would die around 20 years of age, more than likely. Without physics and other various sciences you'd have no computer, no phone, no clean water, and no food at your grocer. But most importantly, you personally will have wasted your life, since you obviously use your religion as an excuse to avoid learning anything at all.
WOW so if someone doesn't believe in God all that happens? How are you people on a computer? How are you people still alive? How do you people even have any of that if you don't believe in God and Heaven?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min One way or another 201,245
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 25 min ChristineM 129
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 28 min SoE 40,537
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 29 min ChristineM 16,015
LUCA and more REAL science 4 hr MIDutch 1
Dinosaurs and the Catholic Church 4 hr MIDutch 1
Scientists create vast 3-D map of universe, val... 5 hr MIDutch 12
More from around the web