Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
126,381 - 126,400 of 171,386 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The accuracy of radiometric dating has been challenged experimentally. Samples from lava flows of known dates have been submitted to reputable radiometric dating laboratories. For example, Geochron Laboratories of Cambridge, Massachusetts analyzed crushed rock from the dome of Mt. St. Helens utilizing the Potassium-Argon method. The sample was obtained ten years after its eruption in 1980. Assigned ages varied from 340,000 years to 2.8 million years.* The Hualalai basalt lava flow in Hawaii, which erupted between 1800 and 1801, was determined to be 22 million years old by the Potassium-Argon Method.* Sunset Crater in Arizona, which erupted around AD 1064, was dated at 250,000 to 270,000 years. Mt. Etna basalt, which erupted in Sicily in 1792, was dated at 1.41 million years.*. Many other examples of volcanic lava flows of known dates have been blindly subjected to radiometric dating and have yielded similarly worthless results.
* Austin, S.A., 1996. Excess Argon Within Mineral Concentrates from the New Dacite Lava Dome at Mount St. Helens Volcano. CEN Tech.J., 10(3):335-343
*Funkhouser, John G., and Naughton, John J., Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 73, No. 14, July
1968, pp.4601-4607.
*Austin, S.A.,(edit),1994. Grand Canyon: Monument to Catastrophe, Institute for Creation Research, Santee, CA,
For a methodology to qualify as science, a minimum standard is required. If no published study of the testing can be cited, then everything is a hypothesis only.
If the spurious results are because the lava came from deep within the earth as I believe you suggested, that still invalidates the methodology. No one is questioning the ability of Geochronology Lab to accurately measure analyzes in question.
Can you provide a URL to the Initial quote , the one that has this text:-

'The sample was obtained ten years after its eruption in 1980. Assigned ages varied from 340,000 years to 2.8 million years'

Not being funny but am guessing it is a creation science site (and somehow doubt you have all the original research next to your 'where's Wally' books)

And I'll ask again, can you think of a reason why molten rock that came from the lower strata of the earth some decades ago may date older than (say) a hundred years.

THINK boy THINK
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
For a methodology to qualify as science, a minimum standard is required. If no published study of the testing can be cited, then everything is a hypothesis only.
If the spurious results are because the lava came from deep within the earth as I believe you suggested, that still invalidates the methodology. No one is questioning the ability of Geochronology Lab to accurately measure analyzes in question.
Apologies (trust me that doesn't happen often) it seems you are getting the point and responded.

So you accept that the dating can be effected by 'contamination'(not really what happened here- but lets keep it simple).

So why do you assert that the whole dating process can be discarded because of some instances of 'contamination'?(And pretty obviously identified contamination)

I mean are you saying that DNA fingerprinting is invalid as a science because we know samples can be corrupted?

I know what your response will be, but will save my comments as have an early start today.
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

TO OTHERS:-

Has anyone else noticed that HTS accuses others of not backing up their claims, or adhering to 'religious dogma'...... But keeps avoiding posts where I point out he is doing EXACTLY that?
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And some of your unsubstantiated statements :-
A) you have scientific evidence for god
B) HIV is not the causative factor for AIDS
C) HIV has never been contracted via needlestick
D). Hitler ordered the destruction of origins because (snicker) he wanted to claim the idea as his own.
E) most medics don't believe in evolution
Seriously Mr Pot - you really shouldn't be commenting on the colour of the device for boiling water

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The accuracy of radiometric dating has been challenged experimentally. Samples from lava flows of known dates have been submitted to reputable radiometric dating laboratories. For example, Geochron Laboratories of Cambridge, Massachusetts analyzed crushed rock from the dome of Mt. St. Helens utilizing the Potassium-Argon method. The sample was obtained ten years after its eruption in 1980. Assigned ages varied from 340,000 years to 2.8 million years.* The Hualalai basalt lava flow in Hawaii, which erupted between 1800 and 1801, was determined to be 22 million years old by the Potassium-Argon Method.* Sunset Crater in Arizona, which erupted around AD 1064, was dated at 250,000 to 270,000 years. Mt. Etna basalt, which erupted in Sicily in 1792, was dated at 1.41 million years.*. Many other examples of volcanic lava flows of known dates have been blindly subjected to radiometric dating and have yielded similarly worthless results.
* Austin, S.A., 1996. Excess Argon Within Mineral Concentrates from the New Dacite Lava Dome at Mount St. Helens Volcano. CEN Tech.J., 10(3):335-343
*Funkhouser, John G., and Naughton, John J., Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 73, No. 14, July
1968, pp.4601-4607.
*Austin, S.A.,(edit),1994. Grand Canyon: Monument to Catastrophe, Institute for Creation Research, Santee, CA,
I am bored and the ball game is over.

Let's look at How's That for Stupid's mistakes.

We can ignore Steve Austin's botched attempt since he did such a poor job we don't know why he got a bad reading. There are two possibilities, either atmospheric contamination or the presence of phenocryts. Austin is such a bumble it could easily have been the first.

The case of the Hawaiian basalt is a clear case of creatard lying. The test done was to actually date the phenocrysts included in the basalt, not the basalt itself. Here is a link to the article sited:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/JB...

Another creatard shooting himself in the foot when he refers to actual articles. Who woulda thunk it?

So what other specific claims do you have HST?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're validating my complaint, SZ...
You're justifying scientific fraud because it conforms to your worldview.
Of you were interested in science, you would unequivocally condemn Haeckle's drawings.
Wrong again tard.

I am asking for evidence of Haeckle's fraudy. I could claim that one of your butt buddies Steve Austin was a child molester and try to attack his work using that claim. Of course without evidence my claim would simply be libel.

Where is your evidence that Haeckel was fraudulent in any way at all?

You know that you have none, no more than I have evidence that Steve Austin is a child molester.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The evolution of flight is a very narrow goal when you consider all of the random non-flight possibilities.
Yes, and other life evolved an amazing amount in other directions.

So what?

Another How's That for Stupid moment brought to you by HST.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Apologies (trust me that doesn't happen often) it seems you are getting the point and responded.
So you accept that the dating can be effected by 'contamination'(not really what happened here- but lets keep it simple).
So why do you assert that the whole dating process can be discarded because of some instances of 'contamination'?(And pretty obviously identified contamination)
I mean are you saying that DNA fingerprinting is invalid as a science because we know samples can be corrupted?
I know what your response will be, but will save my comments as have an early start today.
Because "contamination" is defined as any result that doesn't conform to evolutionary dogma.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and other life evolved an amazing amount in other directions.
So what?
Another How's That for Stupid moment brought to you by HST.
Where are the millions of species that developed partial wings that didn't make it to powered flight?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
It's laughable to watch an atheist stooge make references to peer-reviewed science.
You haven't the slightest idea of what peer review is.
If you want to discuss "peer review" within the context of evolutionary theory, we can begin with Ernie Haeckle and his fraudulent drawings that have been rubber-stamped and published in textbooks for nearly 150 years.
Seriously? Haeckel? Again? We've been over this. MANY TIMES.

How about we start with cdesign proponentsists instead?
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Because "contamination" is defined as any result that doesn't conform to evolutionary dogma.
So to clarify, you state that DNA fingerprinting is not valid science?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Anti-conventional dogma is not "anti-science".
A true scientist QUESTIONS conventional dogma... And evolution is dogma. The central dogma is this:
Mutations + natural selection + millions of years = all complexities, known and unknown.
Neither you nor anyone on earth can demonstrate either experimentally or on paper a single step of ape-human evolution. You have faith that it happened. You have stories of how you believe it happened. You have taken fragmented fossils and interpreted them to JUSTIFY your fore drawn conclusions.
That is not science...it is religion masquerading as science.
Evolution is not dogma.

But, more to the point: the greatest scientific communities in Europe were filled with creationists. What caused all those creationists to accept Darwinian evolution as the explanation for the diversity of life on Earth?

And, more to the point yet again: why did young Earth creationism die out in the mid-19th century, only to experience a revival in the late 20th/early 21st centuries?

Do you know the history of the lies you're perpetuating? Do you even care?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Anti-conventional dogma is not "anti-science".
A true scientist QUESTIONS conventional dogma... And evolution is dogma. The central dogma is this:
Mutations + natural selection + millions of years = all complexities, known and unknown.
Neither you nor anyone on earth can demonstrate either experimentally or on paper a single step of ape-human evolution. You have faith that it happened. You have stories of how you believe it happened. You have taken fragmented fossils and interpreted them to JUSTIFY your fore drawn conclusions.
That is not science...it is religion masquerading as science.
There is no fore conclusion, there is a demonstrable change due to morphology in skeletal configuration. No point in communication with you, as your conclusion is different than 99% of all the worlds scientists. That mean you must produce evidence to change nearly everyone else who came to conclusion due to the evidence in hand. It isn't a regional or limited conclusion that drives the science. But yours is demonstrably a foregone conclusion due to religious belief. Do everyone a favor and stfu, you are now a officially branded a liar.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are the millions of species that developed partial wings that didn't make it to powered flight?
It wouldn't take millions of species that failed, only one that did finally succeed. But we know of at least two that did.
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
And talking of dogma, noticed you keep avoiding my challenge to backup any of your statements, you keep doing this and on the odd occasion you do realise you have to respond:-
You simply say it isn't relevant as doesn't discuss science/evolution, but would say as it goes directly to your character (and though respect the likes of UC over you - for at least debating his position) to the dogma of a creationist, as you seem to be one whom makes nonsense statements - then is COMPLETLY UNABLE to back them up.
Lets try again,
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
D). Hitler ordered the destruction of origins because (snicker) he wanted to claim the idea as his own.
Seriously Mr Pot - you really shouldn't be commenting on the colour of the device for boiling water

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're validating my complaint, SZ...
You're justifying scientific fraud because it conforms to your worldview.
Of you were interested in science, you would unequivocally condemn Haeckle's drawings.
What a jerkoff. You can make the argument that Haeckel may have overstated his case but he was not completely wrong.

But carry on, H.T. Stupid. I enjoy watch you make a fool of yourself.

BTW, it might help if you knew how to spell his name correctly, putz.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The odds of a fossil forming on land is very small. If you have a as yet unsuccessful species the odds of finding a fossil get quite rare. Many of those intermediates probably did not leave fossil records.

We don't need every step in the evolution of a species. It is enough that every fossil found to date can be explained by evolution and creationists have no explanation for the fossil records that does not fall apart under examination. We keep challenging you to find a fossil out of sequence and to date you have failed.

Come back when you actually have something.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Oh look! Without much effort, I find that hominid fossils ARE found in the same regions as dinosaur fossils.
http://www.bing.com/images/search...
http://www.bing.com/images/search...
Regions and layers are two different things. One goes horizontal, the other vertical.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
So to clarify, you state that DNA fingerprinting is not valid science?
DNA fingerprinting is valid science.
It has nothing to do with evolution,

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that all science has to do with evolution?

But, fingerprinting most certainly DOES have to do with evolution. Only great apes have fingerprints (well, and koalas...weird, eh?). Can you name any other characteristics that are unique to great apes?
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Still dodging I see, why is that ?
I mean you are obviously responding to SOME of my posts
Why is that ?
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••