Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180392 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

HTS

Mandan, ND

#129639 May 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that all science has to do with evolution?
But, fingerprinting most certainly DOES have to do with evolution. Only great apes have fingerprints (well, and koalas...weird, eh?). Can you name any other characteristics that are unique to great apes?
Homology does not provide any evidence for evolution. It is entirely consistent with intelligent creation.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#129640 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Homology does not provide any evidence for evolution. It is entirely consistent with intelligent creation.
What would be inconsistent with intelligent creation?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#129641 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Homology does not provide any evidence for evolution. It is entirely consistent with intelligent creation.
Intelligent creation....what the hell is that??

Are you trying to turn creationism/Intelligent Design into some junkscience crap.

I guess you didn't get the memorandum....Intelligent Design is dead. It's recognized as nothing but religious sh!t.....
good grief

South San Francisco, CA

#129642 May 12, 2013
do any of you have jobs or lives?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#129643 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
You may not be a missing link, but you certainly are the weakest.

Homology is a key source of evidence supporting evolution.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#129644 May 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You may not be a missing link, but you certainly are the weakest.
DannyBoy since you do not believe in God (so you say on the other forum all the time) you think we evolved from monkeys huh? Lets go with your theory for a minute. Were did earth come from? The other planets? The sun? Hell even where did the universe come from? Did they all evolve too?

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#129645 May 12, 2013
good grief wrote:
Yeah I have two of them.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129646 May 12, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Still dodging I see, why is that ?
I mean you are obviously responding to SOME of my posts
Why is that ?
<quoted text>
They don't want those cured because then they can't claim any of their "prophecies" are being fulfilled.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129647 May 12, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligent creation....what the hell is that??
Are you trying to turn creationism/Intelligent Design into some junkscience crap.
I guess you didn't get the memorandum....Intelligent Design is dead. It's recognized as nothing but religious sh!t.....
I see you're yet another atheist stooge...content to blindly follow whatever BS is popular.
You have failed to present a single scientific argument to support your cherished religion of atheism.,
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129648 May 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You may not be a missing link, but you certainly are the weakest.
Homology is a failed argument...soundly debunked over and over again.
The creation of homologous outcomes by non-homologous genes scientifically proves that evo-fairytales are false.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#129649 May 12, 2013
good grief wrote:
Want to know what irony is? Someone on a BBS telling other people on a BBS to get a life.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129650 May 12, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
What a jerkoff. You can make the argument that Haeckel may have overstated his case but he was not completely wrong.
But carry on, H.T. Stupid. I enjoy watch you make a fool of yourself.
BTW, it might help if you knew how to spell his name correctly, putz.
Mike, I see you've again abandoned your "golden rule" moral code. You are a poor emissary for your religion of atheism.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#129651 May 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
DannyBoy since you do not believe in God (so you say on the other forum all the time) you think we evolved from monkeys huh? Lets go with your theory for a minute. Were did earth come from? The other planets? The sun? Hell even where did the universe come from? Did they all evolve too?
What a stupid line of questioning.

Tell you what: why don't you tell us what you think evolution is? It's clear that you don't know what it ACTUALLY is, but until we know what you THINK it is, we can't correct your ignorance. That is, if you want to be corrected of your ignorance. If you're content with your ignorance, nobody can help you be less stupid.

Level 9

#129652 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The creation of homologous outcomes by non-homologous genes scientifically proves that evo-fairytales are false.
So you waffle back and forth. You claim it is consistent with your belief system. Now you claim it is failed.

It isn't failed. You are talking about convergence now. You are all over the place. Convergence is another supporting piece of evidence for evolution.

You are completely ignorant of science and the science of evolution.

Level 9

#129653 May 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to know what irony is? Someone on a BBS telling other people on a BBS to get a life.
Yeah, I always manage to chuckle at that one.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129654 May 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The odds of a fossil forming on land is very small. If you have a as yet unsuccessful species the odds of finding a fossil get quite rare. Many of those intermediates probably did not leave fossil records.
We don't need every step in the evolution of a species. It is enough that every fossil found to date can be explained by evolution and creationists have no explanation for the fossil records that does not fall apart under examination. We keep challenging you to find a fossil out of sequence and to date you have failed.
Come back when you actually have something.
Fossils are not rare.
There are over 100 million of them, spanning a supposed evolutionary time period of over 500 million years. You have no explanation as to why millions of transitional species are absent.
Over 1,000 pterosaur fossils, all perfected in powered flight, have been identified, spanning a supposed time period of over 100 million years.
Where are the intermediate species?
There are none.
Why?
Does ToE predict this?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129655 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not shown that. Where are your homologous outcomes from non-homologous genes? I don't think you can name one.

Just as you failed to show how Haeckle was a fraud I am betting that you will fail here too.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129656 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Fossils are not rare.
There are over 100 million of them, spanning a supposed evolutionary time period of over 500 million years. You have no explanation as to why millions of transitional species are absent.
Over 1,000 pterosaur fossils, all perfected in powered flight, have been identified, spanning a supposed time period of over 100 million years.
There are none.
Why?
Does ToE predict this?
Fossils are extremely rare. The odds of a specific animal being fossilized is on the order of one in a billion. Less than your odds of winning the Lotto.

The rest of your post only shows your lack of education.

Why do all fossils appear in a manner that support the theory of evolution and yet you creationists cannot even explain how fossils came to be? All attempts by creatards very quickly get debuniked.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129657 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Fossils are not rare.
There are none.
Why?
Does ToE predict this?
So you don't even know the difference between rare and plentiful. roflmao You have to be a Poe.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#129658 May 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
What a stupid line of questioning.
Tell you what: why don't you tell us what you think evolution is? It's clear that you don't know what it ACTUALLY is, but until we know what you THINK it is, we can't correct your ignorance. That is, if you want to be corrected of your ignorance. If you're content with your ignorance, nobody can help you be less stupid.
The basis of evolution is change/adaption in/with time. Many things can evolve even non living things evolve.
The belief of some evolution depends on the beliefs of "who, what, when, where" of the person.

There are many theories out there depending on which one a person believes they see things differently.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min Endofdays 69,983
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) 37 min CBU 1,767
News Evolution 'not established truth' (May '08) 1 hr Yidfellas v USA 9,178
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Subduction Zone 30,113
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr ChromiuMan 161,438
Is Creationism and Intelligent Design debunked ... 12 hr Subduction Zone 95
G-d versus Evolution? 13 hr 15th Dalai Lama 12
More from around the web