Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#129632 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're validating my complaint, SZ...
You're justifying scientific fraud because it conforms to your worldview.
Of you were interested in science, you would unequivocally condemn Haeckle's drawings.
What a jerkoff. You can make the argument that Haeckel may have overstated his case but he was not completely wrong.

But carry on, H.T. Stupid. I enjoy watch you make a fool of yourself.

BTW, it might help if you knew how to spell his name correctly, putz.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129633 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are the millions of species that developed partial wings that didn't make it to powered flight?
The odds of a fossil forming on land is very small. If you have a as yet unsuccessful species the odds of finding a fossil get quite rare. Many of those intermediates probably did not leave fossil records.

We don't need every step in the evolution of a species. It is enough that every fossil found to date can be explained by evolution and creationists have no explanation for the fossil records that does not fall apart under examination. We keep challenging you to find a fossil out of sequence and to date you have failed.

Come back when you actually have something.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129634 May 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Oh look! Without much effort, I find that hominid fossils ARE found in the same regions as dinosaur fossils.
http://www.bing.com/images/search...
http://www.bing.com/images/search...
Regions and layers are two different things. One goes horizontal, the other vertical.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129635 May 12, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
So to clarify, you state that DNA fingerprinting is not valid science?
DNA fingerprinting is valid science.
It has nothing to do with evolution,

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#129636 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that all science has to do with evolution?

But, fingerprinting most certainly DOES have to do with evolution. Only great apes have fingerprints (well, and koalas...weird, eh?). Can you name any other characteristics that are unique to great apes?
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#129637 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Still dodging I see, why is that ?
I mean you are obviously responding to SOME of my posts
Why is that ?
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And some of your unsubstantiated statements :-
A) you have scientific evidence for god
B) HIV is not the causative factor for AIDS
C) HIV has never been contracted via needlestick
D). Hitler ordered the destruction of origins because (snicker) he wanted to claim the idea as his own.
E) most medics don't believe in evolution
Seriously Mr Pot - you really shouldn't be commenting on the colour of the device for boiling water
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#129638 May 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
But, fingerprinting most certainly DOES have to do with evolution. Only great apes have fingerprints (well, and koalas...weird, eh?). Can you name any other characteristics that are unique to great apes?
Think that was aimed at me, I pointed out that just because contamination can occur with dating (as it can with DNA fingerprinting) it doesn't invalidate the process, just means the possibility of contamination has to be recognized.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129639 May 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Homology does not provide any evidence for evolution. It is entirely consistent with intelligent creation.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#129640 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Homology does not provide any evidence for evolution. It is entirely consistent with intelligent creation.
What would be inconsistent with intelligent creation?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#129641 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Homology does not provide any evidence for evolution. It is entirely consistent with intelligent creation.
Intelligent creation....what the hell is that??

Are you trying to turn creationism/Intelligent Design into some junkscience crap.

I guess you didn't get the memorandum....Intelligent Design is dead. It's recognized as nothing but religious sh!t.....
good grief

South San Francisco, CA

#129642 May 12, 2013
do any of you have jobs or lives?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#129643 May 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
You may not be a missing link, but you certainly are the weakest.

Homology is a key source of evidence supporting evolution.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#129644 May 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You may not be a missing link, but you certainly are the weakest.
DannyBoy since you do not believe in God (so you say on the other forum all the time) you think we evolved from monkeys huh? Lets go with your theory for a minute. Were did earth come from? The other planets? The sun? Hell even where did the universe come from? Did they all evolve too?

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#129645 May 12, 2013
good grief wrote:
Yeah I have two of them.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129646 May 12, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Still dodging I see, why is that ?
I mean you are obviously responding to SOME of my posts
Why is that ?
<quoted text>
They don't want those cured because then they can't claim any of their "prophecies" are being fulfilled.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129647 May 12, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligent creation....what the hell is that??
Are you trying to turn creationism/Intelligent Design into some junkscience crap.
I guess you didn't get the memorandum....Intelligent Design is dead. It's recognized as nothing but religious sh!t.....
I see you're yet another atheist stooge...content to blindly follow whatever BS is popular.
You have failed to present a single scientific argument to support your cherished religion of atheism.,
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129648 May 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You may not be a missing link, but you certainly are the weakest.
Homology is a failed argument...soundly debunked over and over again.
The creation of homologous outcomes by non-homologous genes scientifically proves that evo-fairytales are false.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#129649 May 12, 2013
good grief wrote:
Want to know what irony is? Someone on a BBS telling other people on a BBS to get a life.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129650 May 12, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
What a jerkoff. You can make the argument that Haeckel may have overstated his case but he was not completely wrong.
But carry on, H.T. Stupid. I enjoy watch you make a fool of yourself.
BTW, it might help if you knew how to spell his name correctly, putz.
Mike, I see you've again abandoned your "golden rule" moral code. You are a poor emissary for your religion of atheism.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#129651 May 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
DannyBoy since you do not believe in God (so you say on the other forum all the time) you think we evolved from monkeys huh? Lets go with your theory for a minute. Were did earth come from? The other planets? The sun? Hell even where did the universe come from? Did they all evolve too?
What a stupid line of questioning.

Tell you what: why don't you tell us what you think evolution is? It's clear that you don't know what it ACTUALLY is, but until we know what you THINK it is, we can't correct your ignorance. That is, if you want to be corrected of your ignorance. If you're content with your ignorance, nobody can help you be less stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min Eagle 12 - 80,059
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 24 min Eagle 12 - 32,587
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr ChromiuMan 163,795
News Intelligent design (Jul '15) Sat Dogen 571
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Sat ChromiuMan 222,780
What's your religion? Fri Zog Has-fallen 4
Life started in Tennessee proof. Sep 15 Science4life 1
More from around the web