Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#129421 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>All you're doing is telling stories. I know what natural selection is believed to be capable of. You IMAGINE that natural selection can do what you think it can do. That is a hypothesis. Now, prove it.
Natural selection is an OBSERVATION of outcomes. He has no need to prove it, it proved itself. You not knowing that makes you seem a dullard extraordinaire.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#129422 May 9, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
God you are stupid, complexity is hard to quantify (as your refusal to demonstrate why DNA is complex but a crystal is random attests).
I can't DEFINE beauty - but it exists (personally - Bjork) it is just somewhat subjective.
And your last dollop of BS about evolution being part of an atheistic religion / worldview.
Question - is the pope an atheist ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_...
Don't worry you don't have to answer, I can add it to the list of questions you are to scared to address.
Now you're really getting desperate, Mugwump.
I don't give a rip what the Pope thinks. I'm asking for scientific evidence for evolution, and you have heretofore presented nothing.
All you're capable of doing is creating irrelevant distractions.
You think that snowflakes are no more complex than DNA.
In other words... a textbook of physics is no more complex than 1,000 pages of random letters. Is that your perception of reality?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#129423 May 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Natural selection is an OBSERVATION of outcomes. He has no need to prove it, it proved itself. You not knowing that makes you seem a dullard extraordinaire.
Natural selection is observable in examples such as industrial melanism and antibiotic resistance in bacteria.
Natural selection has never been observed to create complexity.
Rather than brand me as a "dullard extraordinaire", why don't you actually employ some scientific logic and address the issue?
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#129424 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're really getting desperate, Mugwump.
I don't give a rip what the Pope thinks.

<snipped in a vain attempt to get HTS to concentrate on backing up his claims for a change>

?
So your claim that evolution is atheistic is BS, so why do you keep saying it if you can't defend your claim?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129425 May 9, 2013
HTS, you have shown countless times that you do not even understand what is or is not scientific evidence.

To make matters worse, when I have offered to help you to learn what is and what is not scientific evidence you have run away from the offer like a scared little schoolgirl.

Why does the concept of actual evidence scare you so much? If you knew what was valid evidence you would be a much better debater. You might not be constantly losing to us.

So you have everything to gain and nothing to lose and yet you run away.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#129426 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Natural selection is observable in examples such as industrial melanism and antibiotic resistance in bacteria.
Natural selection has never been observed to create complexity.
Rather than brand me as a "dullard extraordinaire", why don't you actually employ some scientific logic and address the issue?
Who said natural selection created complexity?
The accumulation of greater function , such as senses , expanded neural capabilities expanding cooperation's between cells in symbiosis , expanding natural defenses and the evolution of virus and bacteriological agents affecting organisms, are what created complexity. In short life is war between microorganisms the effects of this struggle is recorded in a string of information, as the level of sophistication rises information rises and so does complexity.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#129427 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You think that snowflakes are no more complex than DNA.
Really?!? What exactly **IS** the "Complexity Factor Score" for snowflkes & DNA?
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Is that your perception of reality?
Amusing, really, that you should make a post discussing somebody's perception of 'reality'.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129428 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>So you compare the complexity of DNA to a pile of leaves? That means that man's intelligence and everything that his intelligence has created is no more complex than a pile of leaves.
This is what you attribute to your god, a pile of leaves. You attribute it, not us.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129429 May 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you explain the language type functionality of DNA.
Because I have no clue what you mean.
DNA is not a language, unless you speak protein.
You're attempting to argue the unarguable.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129430 May 9, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?!? What exactly **IS** the "Complexity Factor Score" for snowflkes & DNA?
<quoted text>
Amusing, really, that you should make a post discussing somebody's perception of 'reality'.
Interesting ow you atheist stooges make utter fools of yourselves as your cherished religion crumbles.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129431 May 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said natural selection created complexity?
The accumulation of greater function , such as senses , expanded neural capabilities expanding cooperation's between cells in symbiosis , expanding natural defenses and the evolution of virus and bacteriological agents affecting organisms, are what created complexity. In short life is war between microorganisms the effects of this struggle is recorded in a string of information, as the level of sophistication rises information rises and so does complexity.
Storytelling is not science.
All you're doing is imagining that reality conforms to the dogma of evolution.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129432 May 9, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
HTS, you have shown countless times that you do not even understand what is or is not scientific evidence.
To make matters worse, when I have offered to help you to learn what is and what is not scientific evidence you have run away from the offer like a scared little schoolgirl.
Why does the concept of actual evidence scare you so much? If you knew what was valid evidence you would be a much better debater. You might not be constantly losing to us.
So you have everything to gain and nothing to lose and yet you run away.
I'm patiently waiting for you to make a single valid point.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129433 May 9, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you demonstrate that it is? If so, do so.
DNA codes for every complexity of a human body.
A snowflake is symmetrical because of the molecular configuration of water.

If you can't understand the difference you're blinded by the dogma of atheism. I'm not going to bother to explain self-evident facts to an intellectual midget. You need to step back and look in the mirror. What you see is the face of a spineless atheist wallowing in ignorance and perversion. According to your twisted logic, there is no such thing as complexity.

Why do you bother posting anything? A random string of letters would, according to you, be equally as meaningful as anything you say.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#129434 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA codes for every complexity of a human body.
A snowflake is symmetrical because of the molecular configuration of water.
If you can't understand the difference you're blinded by the dogma of atheism. I'm not going to bother to explain self-evident facts to an intellectual midget. You need to step back and look in the mirror. What you see is the face of a spineless atheist wallowing in ignorance and perversion. According to your twisted logic, there is no such thing as complexity.
Why do you bother posting anything? A random string of letters would, according to you, be equally as meaningful as anything you say.
The molecular configuration of water does not change, yet every snowflake is different. That sure sounds to me like you have no idea what you are talking about.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#129435 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Storytelling is not science.
That's right!! It is religion.
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#129436 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting ow you atheist stooges make utter fools of yourselves as your cherished religion crumbles.
Again with the 'evolution is an atheist conspiracy' b-movie plot

You seem unwilling to address my point so let me rephrase it ....

Sod it, the point was simple enough, maybe I will just dumb it down for you.

YOU STATE : evolution is simply a way of propagating an godless worldview

I SAY : so is by your definition, the pope (in case you didn't know head of one of the largest religions) an atheist as he advocates evolution (albeit theistic evolution)

HTS - it's a simple request to defend one of your claims - why can't you address the point ?

?
?
?
?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129437 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You idiot, I have made thousands of valid points to you. Your lack of education keeps you from seeing that.

We know you were born stupid. Right now you are keeping yourself there purposefully.

What is the point of that?

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#129438 May 9, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey guy, the feeling is completely mutual. Let me know when you do it.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#129439 May 9, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You idiot, I have made thousands of valid points to you. Your lack of education keeps you from seeing that.
We know you were born stupid. Right now you are keeping yourself there purposefully.
What is the point of that?
What was that name you were using for HTS. It gave me a good laugh. Much as HTS does.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#129440 May 9, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>What was that name you were using for HTS. It gave me a good laugh. Much as HTS does.
I think it was Mr. Fertilizer,,, same as you Dan for you are a forum troll that likes to spread crap. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min The Northener 199,186
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min renee 33,972
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr NightSerf 14,815
News ID Isn't Science, But That's the Least Of Its P... 2 hr DanFromSmithville 31
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Don Barros Serrano 151,280
My Story Part 1 Fri JanusBifrons 1
Evolution in action Jun 20 Darth Robo 9
More from around the web