Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,304)

Showing posts 126,061 - 126,080 of168,612
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think that coming up with questions that might not yet have an exact answer in any way disproves the theory of evolution? Do you think that, even if you DID somehow disprove the theory of evolution, that would in any way confirm the Bible's stories?
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how whales acquired the ability of transoceanic navigation?

Aura says:
I'm taking a wild guess that after swimming around in it, for a very long time. They sorta figured out which way we want to go?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
Evolution has nothing to do with finding oil.
Perhaps to the extent that the little fossilized bugs occur in a hierarchy that can be used to form a chronology. Like I said, I don't know too much about Paleontology. I just know that Science is the method of inquiry that obtains results. Oil companies employ Scientists and not Clergymen to help look for oil.
HTS wrote:
You have no concept of what science is.
I got a degree in Biology from a decent university. You've pretended to have some sort of education in something. Right?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
What leads you to the conclusion that evolutionary biology is "real science"?
It's derived from scientific inquiry. It works within the model described by the ToE which seems to be an accurate explanation of the development and diversity of living things. It doesn't require Magic.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it does. It explains what we observe. PS - there is no geologic column. We laugh at you too by the way. Evolution is ridiculous.
So you deny reality. You make this too easy.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
That's 100% BS, SZ.
It was 100% BELIEVED that strata was hundreds of millions of years old. Radiometric dating has been selectively used to validate what was assumed. Cherry picked data is scientific fraud. It is a universal characteristic of quackery.
I've already debunked your millions-of-year old strata argument by demonstrating that T.rex and allosaurus fossils are not their purported ages. So why do you persist in clinging to dogma that has been scientifically proven false? Your anti-science sentiment is obvious. Your religion takes priority over everything in your life... and you're willing to lie and distort truth to justify your amoral lifestyle.
So you don't like the real answer and thus you ignore the facts.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how whales acquired the ability of transoceanic navigation?
Aura says:
I'm taking a wild guess that after swimming around in it, for a very long time. They sorta figured out which way we want to go?
Lamarckism has been proven false.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
It's derived from scientific inquiry. It works within the model described by the ToE which seems to be an accurate explanation of the development and diversity of living things. It doesn't require Magic.
Evolution is not derived from scientific inquiry. It is derived from a philosophical rejection of God. Evolution does require magic... The magic of complexity resulting from random mutations. Such a process is unknown in science. It is merely imagined.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps to the extent that the little fossilized bugs occur in a hierarchy that can be used to form a chronology. Like I said, I don't know too much about Paleontology. I just know that Science is the method of inquiry that obtains results. Oil companies employ Scientists and not Clergymen to help look for oil.
<quoted text>
I got a degree in Biology from a decent university. You've pretended to have some sort of education in something. Right?
A degree does not make someone a scientist. Oil exploration has nothing to do with evolution.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is not derived from scientific inquiry. It is derived from a philosophical rejection of God. Evolution does require magic... The magic of complexity resulting from random mutations. Such a process is unknown in science. It is merely imagined.
You are projecting more.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Oil exploration has nothing to do with evolution.
Directly? It would be a bit of a stretch to say there's a direct connection between the Theory of Evolution and Oil/Gas exploration.

But, there IS a direct relationship between Petrochemical Engineering and Geology.

And they would laugh your 10,000 year old Creation, and a global flood out of the classroom. I would also surmise that being extraordinarily educated, that the vast majority of those Petrochemical Engineers would ALSO accept the Theory of Evolution on its own merits.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>A degree does not make someone a scientist. Oil exploration has nothing to do with evolution.
No matter how many times you repeat that line it will not be true and Big Oil will continue to hire paleontologists to help them find oil.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
A degree does not make someone a scientist. Oil exploration has nothing to do with evolution.
So your claimed education WAS just pretend... Like all the other crazy things you claim.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Directly? It would be a bit of a stretch to say there's a direct connection between the Theory of Evolution and Oil/Gas exploration.
But, there IS a direct relationship between Petrochemical Engineering and Geology.
And they would laugh your 10,000 year old Creation, and a global flood out of the classroom. I would also surmise that being extraordinarily educated, that the vast majority of those Petrochemical Engineers would ALSO accept the Theory of Evolution on its own merits.
Especially since to locate oil they must locate ancient shallow sea beds, where the organisms lived and died to create the oil.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Chimney, you obviously know nothing about science if you imagine that geology validates evolution.
The unintentional humour just keeps on rolling in.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dying saved Christians do tend to leave this world in peace with a smile on their face while atheists tend to die in terror and agony.
If that were true it would merely be making my point. However, I can tell you quite certainly that it is not true.
And denying science is the last thing a Christian would do - it's inseparable.
False. You and HTS are right here denying science continually. You are not accepting the process of discovery because when anything is found that conflicts with your pre-conceived position that the Bible must be literally true, you will wriggle and squirm in every way you can think of to deny it. Science builds it conclusions from physical evidence, not from scripture, wherever those conclusions lead. Its that simple, yet you fail to understand it.

You can SAY you accept science all you like, but quite obviously you do not, and never will. The ONLY Christians who accept science are those who also accept that a lot of the Bible is allegorical and probably imperfect. If they accept the teachings of Christ without your idolatry of the Bible, then they are better Christians than you, who worships a false God called "scripture".

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is not derived from scientific inquiry. It is derived from a philosophical rejection of God. Evolution does require magic... The magic of complexity resulting from random mutations. Such a process is unknown in science. It is merely imagined.
Damn man you seriously need to go back to school. You are trying to pass off creotard trash and you are SOooooo wrong...seriously

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is not derived from scientific inquiry. It is derived from a philosophical rejection of God.
Utter bollocks.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Onychonycteris was fully capable of powered flight and possessed sophisticated echolocation ability.
What is "transitional" about it?
I'm looking for a rodent with elongated phylanges with partial webbing that cannot yet fly.
All life is transitional, even the least evolved species are slowly evolving. Of course you personally will not agree with this but the scientific evidence shows your personal opinion for what it is, personal opinion with no basis in fact.

Why a rodent in particular? Bats are not rodents

However try the flying squirrel, not true flight but able to glide.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're actually claiming there is no fossil record of any creatures softer than bats? You're a joke.
Say what? Where did I claim that, oh wait a moment, I didnít, it was you making up BS and lies and adding a facetious comment because you have nothing else. You really are a pathetic debater.

I asked where it was that you based YOUR claim on, you obviously do know have the knowledge or access to the data to respond and chose instead to attempt to mock me for pointing out your inadequacy.

You may consider me a joke for proving your failures but that is by far more agreeable then you being a bullshitting liarÖ

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Lamarckism has been proven false.
No it has not, no need to lie for your cause, it just makes your cause you silly. Lamarckism was ignored for years until recently and research is now just begging to yield results

And memory certainly has not. How were you taught to hold a spoon and grow up to be able to feed yourself?

But if it makes you feel better to lie and ignore facts than thatís fine, itís your own conscience you have to live with.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 126,061 - 126,080 of168,612
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••