Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178695 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#129272 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution has nothing to do with finding oil. You have no concept of what science is.
HTS must stand for High Throughput Stupidity, because you completely missed the point of the joke.

Level 9

#129273 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of BS.
You have no concept of what the theory of evolution is.
Genetic variability is not evolution.
You think that because my DNA is not identical to the DNA of my parents, that you have proven that I evolved from a worm? Does that constitute the depth of your knowledge of biology?
I think you may be providing all the evidence to show that connection with a worm all on your own.

I suspect that the depth of your knowledge of biology is not much deeper than what we have seen here, if it is that deep.

Level 9

#129274 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
That's 100% BS, SZ.
It was 100% BELIEVED that strata was hundreds of millions of years old. Radiometric dating has been selectively used to validate what was assumed. Cherry picked data is scientific fraud. It is a universal characteristic of quackery.
I've already debunked your millions-of-year old strata argument by demonstrating that T.rex and allosaurus fossils are not their purported ages. So why do you persist in clinging to dogma that has been scientifically proven false? Your anti-science sentiment is obvious. Your religion takes priority over everything in your life... and you're willing to lie and distort truth to justify your amoral lifestyle.
You did. Why heavens to betsy, that must have been exciting for you.
You wouldn't be fibbing just a smidge would you girl?

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#129275 May 7, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure have skewed view of things. First of all, Christians are no more scared of death than anyone else. People in general tend to deny their own mortality and rarely think about their death until it comes knocking on the door. Dying saved Christians do tend to leave this world in peace with a smile on their face while atheists tend to die in terror and agony. And denying science is the last thing a Christian would do - it's inseparable. Finally, Christains don't get to Heaven through "good works". It is by faith alone. Man, you were wrong on all accounts.
Reality doesn't seem to matter in your fantasy world.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#129277 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>It's laughable to watch you robotically parrot the same atheistic garbage over and over again. If it makes you feel good to bash others' religion to justify your amoral lifestyle, you're truly desperate.
Hey, I don't bash religion to somehow justify my amoral lifestyle. I don't lead an amoral lifestyle at all.

I've been married for 38 years now; have 5 children, 6 grandchildren and they are all great people....no drugs, no excessive drinking, no criminals....just the way they were brought up, and me and my wife as an example,

All the other atheist I know are pretty much the same as me. Atheist are totally underrepresented in prisons and jails.

Have you made note of all the politicians who have been caught doing the exact opposite of the Christian lifestyle they profess to follow....you know like homosexuality, sodomy, adultery, lying profusely, criminal acts?

On these forums creatards are overwhelmingly the ones caught in lies or misrepresentation of science. Creatards HAVE to lie to support their position, because real objective science does not.

The 4 or 5 trials that have resulted from creationists trying to slip their agenda into public schools, and been caught, shows how slippery and unprincipled they are.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Of Tomorow

#129278 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text> If you believe in evolution, you believe that man evolved from a microbe and passed through a worm-like stage. You need to honestly acknowledge what your religion teaches.
Pardon me if I call you an idiot also, clearly your conception is rudimentary at best. You cant call a an ancestral organism the end product. It simply didn't work that way.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#129279 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What leads you to the conclusion that evolutionary biology is "real science"?
What leads you to believe it isn't??

All biology is evolutionary.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#129280 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Humans are mammals. How does that prove evolution?
All mammals have a common ancestor.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#129281 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when is "Evolution did it" ever a valid means of explaining the unknown?
The Baptists founded a well known University of Baylor, a well respected school of the sciences and still run and financed by Baptists. Here's what they have to say on the topic;

http://www.baylor.edu/chemistry/index.php...

"Statement on Evolution

The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Baylor University is committed to the highest standards of scientific inquiry in the search for objective truth about the natural universe. From the time of Francis Bacon, this search for truth has been through the scientific method, in which the veracity of a hypothesis is tested by experimentation.

Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biological sciences, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence. It is fundamental to the understanding of modern biochemistry, and our faculty incorporate the principle of evolution throughout the biochemistry curriculum. We are a science department, and we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously. "

So, there is no controversy between religion and evolution. Perhaps the real issue is simply that you are an ignorant d!ck.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129282 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution has nothing to do with finding oil. You have no concept of what science is.
Another How's That for Stupid moment. Paleontology is about as closely tied to evolution as any science. Paleontologists are heavily used by oil companies. Oil companies do not throw money away or suffer fools gladly.

Evolutionary science is used heavily in oil exploration.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#129283 May 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
HST, if you don't know anyone who worked on the book "On Pandas and People" is automatically assumed to be dishonest. The writers of that book got caught trying to break the law. It was proven in court that all they did was to take an older version and wherever there was the word "creationism", which had been found to be a religion based topic, and replaced it with "intelligent design" in once case the word "intellicreationdesign " was made by the word processor which glitched.
They were caught trying to illegally sneak religion into the class room. Not honest people at all.
You mean, "cdesign proponentsists."

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#129284 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how whales acquired the ability of transoceanic navigation?
Do you know how venom of a cobra appeared?
Do you know how a mantis shrimp acquired its unique weaponry?
Do you know how the urinary evolved through the development of two distinct embryo logic structures?
The one-size-fits-all answer to all of the above is "evolutiondidit".
Do you really think that coming up with questions that might not yet have an exact answer in any way disproves the theory of evolution? Do you think that, even if you DID somehow disprove the theory of evolution, that would in any way confirm the Bible's stories?

“The Edge”

Level 8

Of Tomorow

#129285 May 7, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think that coming up with questions that might not yet have an exact answer in any way disproves the theory of evolution? Do you think that, even if you DID somehow disprove the theory of evolution, that would in any way confirm the Bible's stories?
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

Aura says:
I'm taking a wild guess that after swimming around in it, for a very long time. They sorta figured out which way we want to go?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#129286 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
Evolution has nothing to do with finding oil.
Perhaps to the extent that the little fossilized bugs occur in a hierarchy that can be used to form a chronology. Like I said, I don't know too much about Paleontology. I just know that Science is the method of inquiry that obtains results. Oil companies employ Scientists and not Clergymen to help look for oil.
HTS wrote:
You have no concept of what science is.
I got a degree in Biology from a decent university. You've pretended to have some sort of education in something. Right?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#129287 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
What leads you to the conclusion that evolutionary biology is "real science"?
It's derived from scientific inquiry. It works within the model described by the ToE which seems to be an accurate explanation of the development and diversity of living things. It doesn't require Magic.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129288 May 7, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it does. It explains what we observe. PS - there is no geologic column. We laugh at you too by the way. Evolution is ridiculous.
So you deny reality. You make this too easy.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129289 May 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
That's 100% BS, SZ.
It was 100% BELIEVED that strata was hundreds of millions of years old. Radiometric dating has been selectively used to validate what was assumed. Cherry picked data is scientific fraud. It is a universal characteristic of quackery.
I've already debunked your millions-of-year old strata argument by demonstrating that T.rex and allosaurus fossils are not their purported ages. So why do you persist in clinging to dogma that has been scientifically proven false? Your anti-science sentiment is obvious. Your religion takes priority over everything in your life... and you're willing to lie and distort truth to justify your amoral lifestyle.
So you don't like the real answer and thus you ignore the facts.
HTS

Williston, ND

#129290 May 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura says:
I'm taking a wild guess that after swimming around in it, for a very long time. They sorta figured out which way we want to go?
Lamarckism has been proven false.
HTS

Williston, ND

#129291 May 7, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
It's derived from scientific inquiry. It works within the model described by the ToE which seems to be an accurate explanation of the development and diversity of living things. It doesn't require Magic.
Evolution is not derived from scientific inquiry. It is derived from a philosophical rejection of God. Evolution does require magic... The magic of complexity resulting from random mutations. Such a process is unknown in science. It is merely imagined.
HTS

Williston, ND

#129292 May 7, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps to the extent that the little fossilized bugs occur in a hierarchy that can be used to form a chronology. Like I said, I don't know too much about Paleontology. I just know that Science is the method of inquiry that obtains results. Oil companies employ Scientists and not Clergymen to help look for oil.
<quoted text>
I got a degree in Biology from a decent university. You've pretended to have some sort of education in something. Right?
A degree does not make someone a scientist. Oil exploration has nothing to do with evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 51 min Chimney1 143,914
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Blitzking 173,593
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) 15 hr Chilli J 13
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) 22 hr Chimney1 583
News Intelligent design 23 hr Paul Porter1 22
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 23 hr Paul Porter1 421
Darwinism: Science or Philosophy? 23 hr Paul Porter1 56
More from around the web