Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#129082 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Kept it just to an expansion of space- thought if mentioned space-time his head would fall off.
Does beg the question - why does he think he can comment on scientific subjects if he doesn't even know the obvious stuff (not obvious maybe but at least well known)
Because religion is for frightened infantile minds who prefer absurdity to uncertainty.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#129083 May 3, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Mate, you have "hard" evidence of nothing!
Please read my data source:
http://creation.com/fall-of-the-sothic-theory...
I refuse to accept any evo-moans and evo-groans about my data source
I will however gladly accept any valid criticisms of my data source
Whereupon I shall engage in debating you regarding the validity of my data source versus your expectedly evo-trash data source
Refusal to accept my data source on the basis of it being from creation.com will result in immediate termination of our debating relationship
As will your running off like a great big cry baby, like you did last time
http://creation.com/fall-of-the-sothic-theory...
This is a start to what may be a useful debate....
starting with your reading my data source
By the way
I had already seen your linked data source
It is outdated and addresses none of the issues addressed in my data source
My data source is therefore better than your data source
I guess we're terminated then. I refuse to accept religious sites as evidence, as you refuse to accept science. Done once more.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#129084 May 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess we're terminated then. I refuse to accept religious sites as evidence, as you refuse to accept science. Done once more.
Science and religion can be represented by one site, and still totally quash the athesist conspiracy of an old earth.

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php...

;-)

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129085 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Science and religion can be represented by one site, and still totally quash the athesist conspiracy of an old earth.
;-)
Science has demonstrated the Earth is billions of years old, you cannot ignore that fact and be taken seriously.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#129086 May 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has demonstrated the Earth is billions of years old, you cannot ignore that fact and be taken seriously.
Read the link and ask again if I was expecting to be taken seriously

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#129087 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
;-)
You may have found evidence of people "dumber than dirt",
really do exist!
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#129088 May 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You may have found evidence of people "dumber than dirt",
really do exist!
Seriously ?

Read it carefully, its brilliant

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#129089 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the link and ask again if I was expecting to be taken seriously
Ah, satirical post. ;) The lost art.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#129090 May 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, satirical post. ;) The lost art.
Indeed, but often indistinguishable from the real thing , for instance from a site that rusty has used to support his top quality arguments :-

http://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.asp...

As an aside, the very fact that you for a moment presumed I was being serious constitutes libel and have contacted my lawyers whom will be serving writs in the near future unless suitable reparations are made for the damage to my image.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#129091 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
;-)
Sorry guy, but there is no atheist conspiracy.

Why on earth would there be one??
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#129092 May 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry guy, but there is no atheist conspiracy.
Why on earth would there be one??
PLEASE EVERYONE - READ THE LINK

my libel lawyers are booking overtime

Level 8

Location hidden

#129093 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
PLEASE EVERYONE - READ THE LINK
my libel lawyers are booking overtime
Are you really that stupid?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129094 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
;-)
Nice site.

Hah! It didn't take me long to see that this is a beautiful group of poes. I especially love the poster who has Ron Jeremy "He's a long shot" for vice president in 2016 in his sign.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#129095 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, but often indistinguishable from the real thing , for instance from a site that rusty has used to support his top quality arguments :-
http://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.asp...
As an aside, the very fact that you for a moment presumed I was being serious constitutes libel and have contacted my lawyers whom will be serving writs in the near future unless suitable reparations are made for the damage to my image.
Well ... considering that you have been repeatedly accused of lying on multiple occasions, whether based on fact or not, makes what I posted no longer libel but merely the christian thing to do. Thus, the courts in the US will discard the libel suit and charge you with heresy instead.

:P
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#129096 May 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Are you really that stupid?
No, read the site - and decide if I was mocking (vicariously I admit) creationist arguments
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#129097 May 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ... considering that you have been repeatedly accused of lying on multiple occasions, whether based on fact or not, makes what I posted no longer libel but merely the christian thing to do. Thus, the courts in the US will discard the libel suit and charge you with heresy instead.
:P
Seriously , marry me :-)

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#129098 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously , marry me :-)
Watch it, or I may take you seriously on that, I really hate living in the US.

Level 8

Location hidden

#129099 May 3, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
No, read the site - and decide if I was mocking (vicariously I admit) creationist arguments
well you never know , you might have went on a acid trip and never came back completely. lol
LowellGuy

Astoria, NY

#129100 May 4, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The Big Bang wasn't an explosion?
Explain yourself.
Imagine how much better the conversation would be if you understood what you were talking about.
LowellGuy

Astoria, NY

#129101 May 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not.
Sea life has a much higher chance of fossilization due to the environment. Environments rich in minerals and moisture are more likely to produce fossilization, however, those with excessive moisture and air, such as swampland, are less likely to produce fossils because the corpses are often broken down before they get buried. However, in the sea there is a very high chance of even a living organism to be buried, thus you can even have soft tissue fossils, which is very rare on land.
Well, sure, if you let things like facts restrict your understanding of reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Dogen 134,486
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 23 min Chimney1 13,635
Science News (Sep '13) 12 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,948
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 20 hr Dogen 718
How would creationists explain... Fri Chimney1 439
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) Fri DanFromSmithville 507
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... Dec 20 nobody 7
More from around the web