Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#128786 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"This was the turning-point in the history of Tyre, which has never recovered from the blow. Its present condition is a fulfillment of Ezekiel's prophecy (Ezekiel 28:5) It contains, according to Volney, 50 or 60 poor families, who live in part by fishing; and is, as Bruce describes it, "rock whereon fishers dry their nets."
http://topicalbible.org/t/tyre.htm
Hilarious! And you believe this stuff?

Ever heard of Google Earth?
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#128787 Apr 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why can't you present any?
I have showing evidence of a young earth creation for years. Haven't you seen my list of 99 reasons? We just got through discussing C14 in diamonds. Even if you think it's all contamination, it's still evidence. All evidence has to be interpreted. If I showed you a picture of the sun near the horizon, is it a sunrise or a sunset? So is the C14 really contamination (and required to keep evolution going) or is it the accurate measure left behind from decaying at its calculated rate? Please try to have an open mind Kitten Koder.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128788 Apr 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilarious! And you believe this stuff?
Ever heard of Google Earth?
Yes. That writing may have the exact number wrong because there's really no way to count them but there still is the bare rock and the ruins and it sure enough is a fishing village. And do you see the ruins? On both old mainland side and island side? See the causeway? Guess what the causeway is made out of? See the magnificant archways and columns? The remains of the Hippodrome? Where is that located Mike? How many people did it hold? It looks like those folks are dirt poor. So where is the old Tyre that the Bible and many other writers described untold riches? Where is the Commerce Center of the Mediteranean? You got to be blind to not see that. You're saying Podunk, Lebonan is New York City? Is that what you're saying? Come on man!

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#128789 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That writing may have the exact number wrong because there's really no way to count them but there still is the bare rock and the ruins and it sure enough is a fishing village. And do you see the ruins? On both old mainland side and island side? See the causeway? Guess what the causeway is made out of? See the magnificant archways and columns? The remains of the Hippodrome? Where is that located Mike? How many people did it hold? It looks like those folks are dirt poor. So where is the old Tyre that the Bible and many other writers described untold riches? Where is the Commerce Center of the Mediteranean? You got to be blind to not see that. You're saying Podunk, Lebonan is New York City? Is that what you're saying? Come on man!
What the hell are you rattling on about? You need to switch to decaf.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128790 Apr 30, 2013
"The Department of State urges U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to Lebanon because of current safety and security concerns. U.S. citizens living and working in Lebanon should understand that they accept risks in remaining and should carefully consider those risks. This supersedes the Travel Warning issued on September 17, 2012, to emphasize information on security, kidnappings, and an upsurge in violence in Lebanon and the region."

"The potential in Lebanon for a spontaneous upsurge in violence remains. Lebanese government authorities are not able to guarantee protection for citizens or visitors to the country should violence erupt suddenly. Access to borders, airports, roads, and seaports can be interrupted with little or no warning. Public demonstrations occur frequently with little warning and have the potential to become violent. Family, neighborhood, or sectarian disputes often escalate quickly and can lead to gunfire or other violence with little or no warning. The ability of U.S. government personnel to reach travelers or provide emergency services may be severely limited."

Rocket attacks from southern Lebanon into Israel have occurred in the past and remain a potential threat. These attacks frequently provoke a military response from Israel. The rocket attacks and responses occur with no warning. Skirmishes and tense exchanges between the Lebanese Armed Forces and the Israeli Defense Forces, as well as protesters and civilians, along Lebanon's southern border with Israel also may occur with no warning. On May 15, 2011, several demonstrators were killed and several, including a U.S. citizen, were severely wounded near the southern Lebanese border town of Maroun ar-Ras after clashes with Israel resulted in open gunfire. Landmines and unexploded ordnance pose significant dangers throughout southern Lebanon, particularly south of the Litani River, as well as in areas of the country where fighting was intense during the civil war. More than 40 civilians have been killed and over 300 injured by unexploded ordnance remaining from the July-August 2006 Israel-Hizballah war. Travelers should watch for posted landmine warnings and strictly avoid all areas where landmines and unexploded ordnance may be present."

"Armed clashes, exchanges of gunfire, and incidents involving thrown grenades have all occurred, as recently as February 27, 2013, in the areas surrounding Tyre and Sidon. Similar incidents could occur again without warning."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/t...

Sounds like such a lovely place...
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128791 Apr 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell are you rattling on about? You need to switch to decaf.
You can't answer the questions honestly can you? Why sit on the bench and heckle? Why not try to search for the truth for once? Or is because you have no interest in the truth. All you like to do is bounce around and see how many people you can piss off in one day. Your sideline heckling is worn too thin - it has no effect anymore.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#128792 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't answer the questions honestly can you? Why sit on the bench and heckle? Why not try to search for the truth for once? Or is because you have no interest in the truth.
Crybaby.

So what was the point for that barrage of questions? Why ask me if I where the Roman Hippodrome was?

You want honest answers? Ask honest questions and skip the Gish Gallop crap.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
All you like to do is bounce around and see how many people you can piss off in one day.
If you had been paying any attention to these threads, you would know that I've taken an active part in the discussion.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Your sideline heckling is worn too thin - it has no effect anymore.
Oh, boo-hoo. Cry me a river.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#128793 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"The Department of State urges U.S. citizens...
Yeah. That has a lot to do with absolutely nothing. Who's bouncing around now, Urb?
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128794 Apr 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. That has a lot to do with absolutely nothing. Who's bouncing around now, Urb?
I stay right here. You and the others apparently jump around several other forums constantly.

So you don't find a current State Dept. warning about travel to Lebanon relevant to a discussion of Tyre? You never cease to amaze me. They even warn specifically of the area around Tyre! Now does that sound like a rich luxurious empire to you? Where you could get hit upside the head with a grenade? The place is a shit-hole now.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128795 Apr 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Crybaby.
So what was the point for that barrage of questions? Why ask me if I where the Roman Hippodrome was?
You want honest answers? Ask honest questions and skip the Gish Gallop crap.
<quoted text>
If you had been paying any attention to these threads, you would know that I've taken an active part in the discussion.
<quoted text>
Oh, boo-hoo. Cry me a river.
Stop yer whining and crying ya baby.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#128796 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I stay right here. You and the others apparently jump around several other forums constantly.
So?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
So you don't find a current State Dept. warning about travel to Lebanon relevant to a discussion of Tyre?
In a discussion of a prophesy? No, I don't.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
You never cease to amaze me. They even warn specifically of the area around Tyre! Now does that sound like a rich luxurious empire to you? Where you could get hit upside the head with a grenade? The place is a shit-hole now.
So? What does that have to do with the prophesy? It wasn't supposed to exist. Shit-hole or not.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#128797 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop yer whining and crying ya baby.
Copycat.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128798 Apr 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Copycat.
Whiner.

Do you really think those people living in Tyre today are the same folks that the Lord condemned? And there is bare rock where fisherman spread thier nets. The bare rock is the site of original Tyre. So the whole prophesy is fulfilled. If you think the present shit-hole is a rebuilt Tyre which had some of the greatest wealth and riches the world as ever seen, all I can say is, you've been briefed thoroughly. The rest is up to you.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128799 Apr 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
So?
<quoted text>
In a discussion of a prophesy? No, I don't.
<quoted text>
So? What does that have to do with the prophesy? It wasn't supposed to exist. Shit-hole or not.
Are you trying to argue that present day Tyre - which you agree is a dangerous ugly shit-hole - is still the super proud, ultra-rich and wealthy fortified city of Tyre of Ezekiel's day rebuilt? Is this REALLY your position?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#128800 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Whiner.
Do you really think those people living in Tyre today are the same folks that the Lord condemned?
Of course not. THose folks are long dead. Why ask silly questions?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
And there is bare rock where fisherman spread thier nets. The bare rock is the site of original Tyre.
What is left of the original island is not simply bare rock. The ruin are toward the southern end. The northern section is fully populated. Including the soccer field mentioned earlier.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
So the whole prophesy is fulfilled.
I disagree.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
If you think the present shit-hole is a rebuilt Tyre which had some of the greatest wealth and riches the world as ever seen, all I can say is, you've been briefed thoroughly. The rest is up to you.
If it's not Tyre, what is it?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#128801 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to argue that present day Tyre - which you agree is a dangerous ugly shit-hole - is still the super proud, ultra-rich and wealthy fortified city of Tyre of Ezekiel's day rebuilt? Is this REALLY your position?
No. How about you go back and read what I actually did say instead of making shit up.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128802 Apr 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
Of course not. THose folks are long dead. Why ask silly questions?
Yes, they're dead, and how did they die? They all were slaughtered or sold into slavery. Those people and all their descendents are essentially all gone.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128803 Apr 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
No. How about you go back and read what I actually did say instead of making shit up.
Then you should agree that that portion of the prophesy is fulfilled. The prophesy doesn't require that nobody ever live again. That's what you're trying to imply.
Level 6

Arlington, VA

#128804 Apr 30, 2013
Ezekiel even leaves open the possibility of people living their when he wrote about fishermen spreading out their nets. So a normal, reasonable understanding would be that people will continue to live around there. Come on Mike, change your mind for once.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#128805 Apr 30, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they're dead, and how did they die? They all were slaughtered or sold into slavery. Those people and all their descendents are essentially all gone.
Immaterial.

Ezekiel 26:14
"And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the Lord have spoken it, saith the Lord God."

Note "thou shalt be built no more'. It was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Regolith Based Li... 83,153
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 36 min marksman11 164,693
Tennepithecus ate a pescatarian diet. 12 hr Science 1
Bible 'Science' Verses opposing the Evolution R... 12 hr Eagle 12 - 135
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 14 hr Dogen 2,575
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 17 hr Dogen 223,009
Evolution is boring as Hell 17 hr Eagle 12 - 11
More from around the web