Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180382 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Russell

Canberra, Australia

#128704 Apr 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe in talking snakes.
You think I'm a girl.
And believe me to be a god/goddess.
You are one messed up Aussie, so tell us the truth was it Dingos or the Roo's that raised you?
I told you Batgirl

Wolverine and Ironman...

You have a memory like a sieve

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#128705 Apr 29, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you Batgirl
Wolverine and Ironman...
You have a memory like a sieve
Your parents are a couple of guys?
Sheesh you fundies are wierd!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#128706 Apr 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not wrong.
I have yet to see you post something that is correct.
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#128707 Apr 29, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have not done any reading on this subject
Here is an article that may assist
https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.as...
Since you avoid any critisms of cretinsuntinted.com

Lets move on to this one and what they class as evidence for gods existence.
The reference is at the bottom but is basically about a bionic prosthetic.

"When considering Kuiken’s statement about the “clumsy” bionic arm, one is forced to consider that the arm is clumsy when compared to an actual human arm. But such an idea carries with it a profound implication. If humans have spent millions of dollars and thousands of hours, using the most advanced technology available, to produce a “clumsy” functioning prosthetic limb, then the human arm that outperforms the bionic one must have been designed and engineered by a higher intelligence than that possessed by the engineers of the bionic limb. An honest observer cannot refute such a conclusion. A “clumsy” four million dollar bionic arm is yet another reminder that an Intelligent Designer exists, and that the human body designed by Him is “fearfully and wonderfully made”(Psalm 139:14)."

https://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.as...

Now rusty - is this a valid argument for gods existence ?

Is the fact that we haven't created a sun a valid argument for gods existence?

30 years ago, was the digital watch evidence for gods existence?

Seriously, you need to read some other sites, try utube - they have videos of cats playing the piano I understand

As always I don't expect or even require you to respond rationally

I just post these examples of the 'go to' sites you use to support your position for my and others amusement
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#128708 Apr 29, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, when I said they have nothing published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and you posted a link to AIG, you were not attempting to refute what I said? You do realize that if novelty and strict adherence to the scientific method re demonstrated, the odds of publication are better (not guaranteed). Why can't creationists meet these two criteria?
Bias and dogma.
Were you trying to refute me, or were you trying to distract people from your tacit admission that I was right?
Could you pleaes put this in plain language?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#128709 Apr 29, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a serious scholar purposely ignore an important and valid point?
He ignored the scripture that clearly states that God says He will bring MANY NATIONS against Tyre
He skips over Ezekiel 26:3
Just like you are doing
Satan is the Father of lies
You are serving your master well
Because intelligent people do not pay attention to assertions that lack evidence.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#128710 Apr 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Whooooshhhhh! That was quite a way over Urb's head.
Obviously.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#128711 Apr 29, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
Why don't creation scientists simply submit their work based on its scientific merit,
They do...
Level 6

Miami, FL

#128712 Apr 29, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously.
Have you played the Peaches and Diesel tabs yet?
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#128713 Apr 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They do...
Can you give an example ?

And I notice you snipped the rest of my post - my gist was that if the science stands on its own two feet and is submitted without a religious affiliation , and it as compelling as you say - it should be accepted surely.

And you snipped my neutrino joke you git
Level 6

Miami, FL

#128714 Apr 29, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously.
And also, on a lighter note, do you think Clapton got the idea of Peaches and Diesel from the "rumor" that Duane Allman died when his motorcycle hit a peach truck?
Level 6

Miami, FL

#128715 Apr 29, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And I notice you snipped the rest of my post - my gist was that if the science stands on its own two feet and is submitted without a religious affiliation , and it as compelling as you say - it should be accepted surely.
What do you mean? There are hundreds of articles published by creation science journals. What are you trying to say?
Level 6

Miami, FL

#128716 Apr 29, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I just didn't get the joke. You might be interested that I am on a nationwide audit of VMware server virtualization. Interesting that most implementations have ignored default passwords and other settings. I'm basically on a roll here.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#128717 Apr 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he certainly did.
<quoted text>
False. Incorrect.
<quoted text>
Not completely. He conquered it but it continued. Then later Alexander The Great along with many other nations built the causeway from the Tyre City ruins and destroyed it some more. And then later still the Moslems finished it off.
I am right. You are wrong.(As usual)
Sorry, you are not. But you are a nutcase.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#128718 Apr 29, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, you are not. But you are a nutcase.
Ah, come on Mike lighten up. You know I heard the Allman Brothers Band live before their first album? Yes indeed at Greynolds Park in Dade County, Miami FLorida I was sat down right in front of the Allman Brothers Band play "It's not my cross to bear" and "Whipping Post" and several others. I was right there! Before their first album came out! Wow! This was just before I joined the Army in 1973. I remember it as if it were yesterday. Now Greynolds Park as a "hippyfest" of sorts and this year Grand Funk Railroad is the featured band! This is a really cool park where when I was young we played our guitars and people did their drugs. There were poetry readings and massive jam sessions! This is truly a national historic place!
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#128719 Apr 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean? There are hundreds of articles published by creation science journals. What are you trying to say?
I am trying to say that if the science advocated by creation science is so compelling, and the only barrier is that is rejected because of the religious context, then submit the papers for scientific consideration in 'secular science publications'(your phrase not mine).

As far as I am aware creation scientists submit their creation science to creation publications (this is obviously different to submitting non creation science).

I think it's a simple point, and can be summerised thus.

The findings of creation science are completely superior to 'secular' science
The findings are irrefutable (as you said about C14)
Then lie a bit, and submit to 'secular/athesist'(again your words) and proclaim no religious affiliation.

It will be a a done deal surely ?

Or does the science NOT stand up to scientific scrutiny after all
Level 6

Miami, FL

#128720 Apr 29, 2013
Oh and did I mention Jefferson Airplane and the Greatful Dead played in Greynolds Park? Oh yeah. Even the California bands had to come here. And where did they record? Clapton, and the Bee Gees and many other great classic rockers? Criteria Studios, North Miami, Florida! Rock on bitch!
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#128721 Apr 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I just didn't get the joke. You might be interested that I am on a nationwide audit of VMware server virtualization. Interesting that most implementations have ignored default passwords and other settings. I'm basically on a roll here.
Its a classic joke, though admit maybe not current.

As an aside - since you do windows stuff (and Apols as asked this before)

MS office 2013 on win 8 - complete bobbins w.r.t MS access (hangs when using chart function, graph.exe) tried google/forums , no suggestions - any ideas?

And passwords - have read that nowadays the average person needs to remember some 23 passwords (banking, social media , work etc)- seriously !!!!!! I have about 30 just for work, thank god for post-it notes :-)
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#128722 Apr 29, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
I am trying to say that if the science advocated by creation science is so compelling, and the only barrier is that is rejected because of the religious context, then submit the papers for scientific consideration in 'secular science publications'(your phrase not mine).
As far as I am aware creation scientists submit their creation science to creation publications (this is obviously different to submitting non creation science).
I think it's a simple point, and can be summerised thus.
The findings of creation science are completely superior to 'secular' science
The findings are irrefutable (as you said about C14)
Then lie a bit, and submit to 'secular/athesist'(again your words) and proclaim no religious affiliation.
It will be a a done deal surely ?
Or does the science NOT stand up to scientific scrutiny after all
The above should read ...

then submit the papers for scientific consideration in 'secular science publications'(your phrase not mine), without a without a religious context

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#128723 Apr 29, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you played the Peaches and Diesel tabs yet?
Haven't had the time as yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 36 min Frindly 861
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 48 min Ben Avraham 77,048
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Frindly 32,268
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr The FACTory 162,511
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr The FACTory 222,017
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 21 hr Dogen 4,321
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Mon The FACTory 101
More from around the web