Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,270)

Showing posts 125,381 - 125,400 of171,269
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Russell wrote:
The probability of Ezekiel's predictions coming true is one in 7.7 X 10^7
And they ALL came to pass...to the last detail
I'm with you UC
This has been a huge faith building exercise
I knew that Bible prophesy has been 100% accurate
But I was unaware of how very accurate
I too have had a great day
http://sciencespeaks.dstoner.net/Prophetic_Ac...
What a lying idiot you are.

First I am sure that your odds calculation is just as valid as any of the crap that comes from creatard.com .

Too bad for you that the Tyre prophecy fails in all important aspects. Zeke new that Nebby was going to attack. He wrote the "prediction" that he would attack after the fact. Nebby did not enter the city of Tyre, and the island city was the one Zeke was clearly referring to, it does not matter if there was a "land based city of Tyre" or not, and there wasn't, Zeke predicted that Nebby would defeat and wipe out the island.

You can lie as much as you like, but your own God Damned Bible testifies against you.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, never used that once.
Sadly you have no clue on what makes a site a quality one or not.
P.S. Haven't you noticed Squishy that all of your decent sites have agreed with me. That is how you earned the nickname Squishy.
Please don't forget that it was I that first called you 'Marshmallow terminator'...

Gooey, squishy and out to get me

And no

I do not consider your links anything remotely like good quality

Case in point is the ridiculous YouTube clip regarding the Ezekiel prophesy

Its shockingly poor quality

Shameful!

Why do I bother?
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read that site and the answer was very accurate. The "question" was an attempt to preach in the first place and is an automatic loss for dishonesty. The selected best answer had all of the basic facts correct. Thanks for another site that shows that you are wrong.
And you wonder why we call you Squishy. You find a site where a boob tries to preach by asking a very leading question and then he got put in his place.
To echo the end of the best answer:
How about that second failed prophecy? When did Nebby beat the Egyptians?
Ha ha ha

You think we're done with Tyre and can safely move on to Egypt now?

Uh

Na!

Your goofy denials have not proven anything

I said that was a trash site, you boob

But you obviously like it

Wow

Neatly proves my very point
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, never used that once.
Sadly you have no clue on what makes a site a quality one or not.
P.S. Haven't you noticed Squishy that all of your decent sites have agreed with me. That is how you earned the nickname Squishy.
Yes
I know that my 'sites' are decent

Quite unlike your's
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What a lying idiot you are.
First I am sure that your odds calculation is just as valid as any of the crap that comes from creatard.com .
Too bad for you that the Tyre prophecy fails in all important aspects. Zeke new that Nebby was going to attack. He wrote the "prediction" that he would attack after the fact. Nebby did not enter the city of Tyre, and the island city was the one Zeke was clearly referring to, it does not matter if there was a "land based city of Tyre" or not, and there wasn't, Zeke predicted that Nebby would defeat and wipe out the island.
You can lie as much as you like, but your own God Damned Bible testifies against you.
Er

No

You are denying reality again

Head in the sand, ostrich

But that does not make FACTS go away

Where did Ezekiel say Nebuchadnezzar would destroy the island city?

Show me

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
No Subdud
Fulfilled prophesy
Ancient Tyre has not been rebuilt
I do not take those "dating" methods to be correct anyway
I see now that the facts do not matter to you
All that matters is that you do not lose face
Ancient Pompeii has not been rebuilt
And neither has ancient Tyre
Your arguments are faulty
You require the avoidance of reality in order for your arguments to be true
A island city, that is now largely under water is .....to you....'rebuilt'
Where are these rebuilt underwater buildings?
Archaeologists are having problems getting much at all by way of remains of Tyre, island or mainland
And of course.....as usual, you offer no evidence to bolster your shabby case....it's all just because you say so
Well, you're wrong
I doubt that anyone can help you
Not even Dr Squishy
I am unsure of what you mean by "Ancient Tyre". The subject is the Tyre of Zeke's prophecy. If you read it he is clearly referring to the island city. By the way "Tyre" or rather than the anglicized version let's use the Phoenician version: "Sur" was always an island. Its name means "rock" since the island was a rock in the sea. The kingdom of Tyre was named for the island of Tyre, not the other way around. So back to the subject at hand. Tyre in the Bible clearly refers to the island.

Nebby did not defeat the island. Nebby was the "many nations" of the prophesy. Nebby did not defeat Tyre and tear down her towers as predicted.

It is a terribly failed prophesy. Once again, Zeke was a captive of Nebby. He was ticked off at Tyre and wrote his prophecy after Nebby started the attack. His prophecy failed since the parts that he did not know pretty much failed. The only part that came true was the fairly obvious prediction that the "settlements on land" would be defeated.

P.S. When did Nebby defeat Egypt?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes
I know that my 'sites' are decent
Quite unlike your's
No, I have provided an excellent site that blows all of your claims out of the water. Most of your sites rely on lies at one point or another. Did you want to see it again?

Your best sites that you post go directly against your claims Squishy.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha
You think we're done with Tyre and can safely move on to Egypt now?
Uh
Na!
Your goofy denials have not proven anything
I said that was a trash site, you boob
But you obviously like it
Wow
Neatly proves my very point
Sure, as long as you know you lost terribly. Oh, I see, you are lying again.

Yes, the Yahoo site is not the best. I never used that a source. The point was that the person with that answered the so called question handed the questioner his ass. I liked it because the respondent was correct. You only like people that lie for Jesus.

Squishy, why do fundies think that it is correct to lie for Jesus?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Er
No
You are denying reality again
Head in the sand, ostrich
But that does not make FACTS go away
Show me
I have quoted that verse to you more than once. I tell you what go to the prophesy, find the city that is described as being "out in the sea". Now think for a minute or two Squishy, what do you find out in the sea where people can live?

It is not a boat.

It is not a goat.

It doesn't float.

There is no moat.

Come on Squishy,

Don't be fishy.

It isn't ishy.

We know you're swishy.

I thought the Dr. Seuss might help your thought process. Come on rusty, you can get the answer if you think real hard.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I have quoted that verse to you more than once. I tell you what go to the prophesy, find the city that is described as being "out in the sea". Now think for a minute or two Squishy, what do you find out in the sea where people can live?
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
If I quoted something from somewhere in this manner, I would be accused of 'quote mining'
But anyway
Have you looked for the reference John refers to in this paragraph?
Lisle, J.P., Anisotropic Synchrony Convention—A Solution to the Distant Starlight Problem, Answers Research Journal 2:191–207, 2010; answersingenesis.org/articles/arj/v3/n1/aniso... .
Here is a link
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/arj/...
I have to go now
But perhaps we can chat politely on the topic of creation astronomy at a later time?
It is a fascinating area
Spike Psarris, an engineer who was employed in the US Military Space Program, started work there as an atheist evolutionist, but left there a creationist, first, and then a Christian as well
Here is his website
http://www.creationastronomy.com/
Here he shares information that can remove stumbling blocks to becoming a creationist...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Nope, just more of the same bias

"The overwhelming majority of old-earth, or old-universe arguments are fallacious because they are based on faulty, unbiblical initial conditions"

Mixed in with some nonsense

"Strictly speaking, something cannot appear old or young, because age is not an observational property. Age is a concept indicative of history, which cannot be observed in the present"

Circular logic

"But if God is willing to make movies of fictional events at distances beyond 6,000 light years, then why would we arbitrarily assume that He would not also make fictional movies nearby?"

What seems to be missing is any actual evidence , suggestions for testing the hypothesis , falsifiable conditions - you know all that tedious science stuff.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, just more of the same bias
"The overwhelming majority of old-earth, or old-universe arguments are fallacious because they are based on faulty, unbiblical initial conditions"
Mixed in with some nonsense
"Strictly speaking, something cannot appear old or young, because age is not an observational property. Age is a concept indicative of history, which cannot be observed in the present"
Circular logic
"But if God is willing to make movies of fictional events at distances beyond 6,000 light years, then why would we arbitrarily assume that He would not also make fictional movies nearby?"
What seems to be missing is any actual evidence , suggestions for testing the hypothesis , falsifiable conditions - you know all that tedious science stuff.
You're entitled to your opinion of course

But I have the same objections about evolution

"What seems to be missing is any actual evidence , suggestions for testing the hypothesis , falsifiable conditions - you know all that tedious science stuff."

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
You're entitled to your opinion of course
But I have the same objections about evolution
"What seems to be missing is any actual evidence , suggestions for testing the hypothesis , falsifiable conditions - you know all that tedious science stuff."
But Squishy, you don't know what evidence is. So therefore you cannot say there is no evidence.

I have made a genuine offer to help you learn about evidence. Until you do I will remind everyone that you don't know dick about evidence.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I already told you. I see your mental process is not even up to solving a simple Dr. Seuss poem.

There is no point in me showing it to you again. You would more than likely lie about your Bible again.

Don't you worry about committing blasphemy? There is no "lying for Jesus" exception to the blasphemy rules.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that is not what you said (or for that matter what I said) at all
<quoted text>
And I am not saying the Pope-meister general doesn't believe in the Bible (presume they would have picked that up at the job interview) but that he / the Catholic Church INTERPRETS much of the bible allegorically rather than literally.
In terms of specifics - as mentioned I am not versed enough to quote passages, but it does seem that we have a disagreement between you and other YECs and the pontiff with the mostest around
A) age of the earth
B) role of evolution (gods work or satans lie)
For a starter
The point I am trying to make is that there is obviously different interpretations of the bible,(both see 'truth' but some accept a non-literal truth), and you insist that your version is the ONLY truth, indeed then proclaimed that there is no disagreement between scholars - which is how we got to the above point.
Now I have a slight suspicion you are going in to minor dodge mode on this (but to be fair Russel started as such when started this in reference to the legitimacy of creation.com ) and am grateful as you are trying to answer.
I have to re-interate, I am not having a pop at your faith or the bible (as if you would give a fetid dingos kidney if I did - DA sorely missed) I am interested in why you insist your view is correct even when compared to others of the same faith (even if not the literal interpretation of scripture)
I can only speak for myself. The Bible contains all types of writing so you need to be specific. There is narrative and there is poetry, etc. So I'm still not sure what you are asking. You should know why I reject macroevolution and an old Earth, right? You've seen my list of 99 Reasons? I am not dodging you as I am right here; I just don't know what you want.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Urb, your list of 99 reasons has been debunked more than once. You know that they are wrong.

Scientific evidence supports evolution, no scientific evidence supports creationism.

Perhaps you can answer this question:

Why can't fundamentalist Christians be honest?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
Urb, your list of 99 reasons has been debunked more than once. You know that they are wrong.
Scientific evidence supports evolution, no scientific evidence supports creationism.
Perhaps you can answer this question:
Why can't fundamentalist Christians be honest?
I was persuaded to take one or two of them off the list but I still have 99 that stand. We are not lying. I wish you would stop saying that. These sweeping generalizations just paint you as a bigot.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
I love music so much. I recently learned Eric Clapton's beautiful instrumental "Peaches and Diesel" from his "Slowhand" album. God bless you Eric Clapton. I love this composition. Beautifully perfect fingerstyle song I love to play. Mike, ever heard it? I think it is a great work.
I probably have since I've listened to that album. I'll look it up.
Russell

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I already told you. I see your mental process is not even up to solving a simple Dr. Seuss poem.
There is no point in me showing it to you again. You would more than likely lie about your Bible again.
Don't you worry about committing blasphemy? There is no "lying for Jesus" exception to the blasphemy rules.
Russell

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
But Squishy,......
I think he likes me.....

<small vomit>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 125,381 - 125,400 of171,269
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••