Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178688 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#128545 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Find a verse that says Tyre is land based. I have already quoted the ones that show it is in the sea. In fact, why not one more time for the extremely slow to learn, this is only one of the verses that show Tyre is an island:
Out in the sea she will become a place to spread fishnets, for I have spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD. She will become plunder for the nations,
http://bible.cc/ezekiel/26-5.htm
Where do you think they got the materials from which to build the causeway to the island? It refers to Tyre. What more does it have to say? Tyre was located on both land and island. The causeway is clearly seen today.

And there are plenty of corroborative statements such as, "your daughters on the mainland", etc.

"Your stones and your timber and soil they will cast into the midst of the waters."

"Now the coastlines tremble on the day of your fall."

The Bible describes a great place of commerce - the commerical center of the Mediteranean with tremendous wealth and riches in exquisite detail. That is all gone.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#128546 Apr 28, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is "we"?
Megalomania?
No need to quake in your boots
You know I'm right
You have no evidence
End of story
The evidence points to special creation
Not evolution
All you have are words
No facts
No evidence
No nothing
And once again Squishy has to go back to lying.

You know all evidence supports evolution

Creatards can't even explain the fossil record. And the insurmountable biological evidence shown in homology, embryology, genetics, etc. and so on.

You lost the scientific argument and you lost the Biblical one.

Poor little Squishy, he must be about 5'2", that's 158 cm for you Squishy.

So what evidence do you have that supports creationism? We know you don't have any scientific evidence. Why can't the workers at creatard.com develop a theory of creationism? You should know why, you can't write a theory for something that never happened.

I am more than willing to provide evidence. I have provide evidence. You have provided nothing.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#128547 Apr 28, 2013
Once again I want to thank you all for building up my faith! It's going to be a wonderful day! Praise the Lord!
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128548 Apr 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not know the difference between a stable and unstable chemical?
Here's the short lesson on it:
A stable chemical can react with other chemicals, causing the other chemicals' compositions to be altered resulting in different chemicals, but the stable chemical does not change on it's own once formed saved through the event of molecular degradation.
An unstable chemical will interact with other chemicals, and their composition will be modified as a direct result of this interaction. This is most often caused due to a weak electron bond of the atoms.
There, I educated you a very tiny bit.
I think you need much more education yourself before you can attempt to educate me

And I am nothing but a fool

Do some reading

Try again later

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128549 Apr 28, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Quaking in your boots, are you SZ?
Tyre was mainland and island
It's so simple
It's in black and white
The island is drowned
The mainland settlements are rubble under rubble
Kneel before the Lord
Your resistance is useless
You are putting your fellow evo-tards to shame
Denying facts
Denying history
Denying evidence
This must be an illness of a kind, eh Dogem?
Yes, with laughter at your idiocy and lies.

The island is drowned! ROTFLMAO!! Let's see some evidence that the island is drowned. I bet you will shoot yourself in the foot again if you try.

I have not denied history, I have shown your version of history to be wrong.

I have not denied facts. Why should I, all of the facts support me.

Denying evidence? How would you know? You don't even know what is or is not evidence.

How many fails can you put in one post Squishy?
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128550 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, if we find it was just another idiot like you your quote is worthless. Your actions indicate it was just another idiot like you.
You lose either way.
Everyone is an idiot that does not believe in your lies and denial of FACTS
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128551 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again Squishy has to go back to lying.
You know all evidence supports evolution
Creatards can't even explain the fossil record. And the insurmountable biological evidence shown in homology, embryology, genetics, etc. and so on.
You lost the scientific argument and you lost the Biblical one.
Poor little Squishy, he must be about 5'2", that's 158 cm for you Squishy.
So what evidence do you have that supports creationism? We know you don't have any scientific evidence. Why can't the workers at creatard.com develop a theory of creationism? You should know why, you can't write a theory for something that never happened.
I am more than willing to provide evidence. I have provide evidence. You have provided nothing.
Ad hominem?

Admission you have lost

As for evidence........

You have none

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128552 Apr 28, 2013
Who do creatards think that they are fooling when they lie about evidence.

After they have all rejected undeniable evidence I have offered to teach all of the creatards on this site how to recognize scientific evidence. All of them run away from the offer. It is clear that all of the creatards here are afraid of evidence.

We know why that is. They know the evidence is against them.

Why, when you know all of the evidence is against you do you even try to argue about a subject? Why, when all of the supporters on your side are afraid of real science do you try to argue against real science?

Creatards have a very strange disease.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128553 Apr 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying that the bible doesn't mean what it says.
The Bible most certainly means what it says

The highway to nowhere is littered with the carcasses of failures, like you, who have attempted to discredit Gods word
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128554 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Who do creatards think that they are fooling when they lie about evidence.
After they have all rejected undeniable evidence I have offered to teach all of the creatards on this site how to recognize scientific evidence. All of them run away from the offer. It is clear that all of the creatards here are afraid of evidence.
We know why that is. They know the evidence is against them.
Why, when you know all of the evidence is against you do you even try to argue about a subject? Why, when all of the supporters on your side are afraid of real science do you try to argue against real science?
Creatards have a very strange disease.
Ha ha.......

No evidence for evolution----FACT

All the evidence points to?

..........SPECIAL CREATION..........

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128555 Apr 28, 2013
Aha!

I finally figured out why Squishy and Urb hate evolution so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#128556 Apr 28, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't ignore it, they just interpret it differently due to their different YEC worldview. Both sides do the same, respectively.
If God did that, my first question to Him would be, why did you lie to us? And I would be highly skeptical if He was really Satan deceiving us. Of course He really did come here and He told us all about His YEC. Yes, Jesus already did that. He already proved His creative powers (many and different kinds of miracles - even the ex-nihilo type - in front of many witnesses. He also confirmed the scriptures, including all the key points like the Creation, the Flood, etc., and gave us the New Testament.
Enjoy your day in the sun. That's what I'm going to do as well. Spent the last 3 weeks in the beautiful (but cold!) northern panhandle of West Virginia. So riding my beach cruiser to the beach to check out the fresh springtime talent.
Hmmm, interesting you say you would ask why he lied to you, isn't it possible that you misinterpreted the evidence and / or the bible.?

You already confess that the evidence w.r.t. Evolution is subject to interpretation (not something I agree with but not relevant for the purposes of this point).

And we can see from the Tyre discussion that various passages from the bible can be interpreted in different ways.

So you seem to be saying interpretation is a factor, but evolution is wrong because your interpretation is 100% spot on, of course creation.com takes this a step further (backward) and doesn't even evaluate contridctory evidence.

Anyway sun tends to be a passing fad in this country - so back at the laptop working - so much for a day of rest.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#128557 Apr 28, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are happy to read creation.com articles as I continue to post them?
Happy? If you like to waste the bandwidth.

I have read those and many others over the years. I have found, at time, good advise and guidance. Other times, pure bullshit. The trick I understanding which is which.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#128558 Apr 28, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
So
Asking for a Bible study again, MikeF?
I wont be able to ignore you anymore if you keep this up
You say that as if I really care.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#128559 Apr 28, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I just noticed this
That's very good
So, I've decided not to write you off completely
I'll try my best not to let that go to my head.
Russell wrote:
Is it really copyrighted?
Or may I use it from time to time?
Be my guest.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#128560 Apr 28, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the opposite of random?
non-random, which is not necessarily by plan.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128561 Apr 28, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha.......
No evidence for evolution----FACT
All the evidence points to?
..........SPECIAL CREATION..........
Tsk, tsk, lying for Jesus again.

Jesus does not need your lies. If he is divine he definitely does not need them. If he was human your lies will not help him.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#128562 Apr 28, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
Hmmm, interesting you say you would ask why he lied to you, isn't it possible that you misinterpreted the evidence and / or the bible?
The Bible is quite clear on the matter so I don't think that's a possibility.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#128563 Apr 28, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is quite clear on the matter so I don't think that's a possibility.
So why is there disagreement amongst scholars regarding which parts of the bible are historical and which bits are allegorical?

To put it another way - how can you be sure you and other YECs are correct ?

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#128564 Apr 28, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
So why is there disagreement amongst scholars regarding which parts of the bible are historical and which bits are allegorical?
To put it another way - how can you be sure you and other YECs are correct ?
By a straight-forward reading of the actual scriptures. It is very easy really. And then, of course, the evidence supports it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Truth is might 173,473
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 20 min Dogen 143,911
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) 3 hr Chimney1 583
News Intelligent design 4 hr Paul Porter1 22
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) 4 hr Paul Porter1 11
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 4 hr Paul Porter1 421
Darwinism: Science or Philosophy? 4 hr Paul Porter1 56
More from around the web