Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,941

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#128429 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a translation and it is a code. Get an education and you'll learn about it.
Ah, you mean like when water reaches 212 degrees it is coded to boil and is translated visually by lots of itty bitty bubbles?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#128430 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok KK
Why don't you answer my question then since you are full of .....I have no idea what....!
How did genetic drift and random mutations result in a quaternary triplet code with TWO epigenetic codes eg histosomes and splicing codes?
How? Simple, chemical processes are either stable or unstable, stable ones continue while unstable ones break down to greater processes. The genetic structure today is the most stable of those that occurred, and thus, that's what we have. However, again, it's not a code, closest anthropomorphic standard we have is recipe.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#128431 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
It's also very interesting that the evotards like to argue theology rather than defend evolution. LOL!
There is no need to defend evolution. We have already done that. If you were not such a constant liar you would have admitted defeat years ago.

So idiot, do you want to learn what is and what is not evidence?

If you don't then all I have to do is to point out that you are wrong and lying when you next deny evidence for evolution.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128432 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
He said "Leading scientists from major universities" McIntosh is neither of these.
The idiot tries to use the second law of thermodynamics argument. No leading scientist has tried to use that for over 50 years.
Why is he an idiot?

Are you back on Rosa Park's bus

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128433 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't any errors in the Bible. Obviously all the errors are coming from you.
See, you can't help but to lie.

You know you lost the Tyre prophesy debate.

Here is a simple question for you:

are there people living in Tyre today?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#128434 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
It's also very interesting that the evotards like to argue theology rather than defend evolution. LOL!
You are the one trying to replace actual facts with religious nonsense.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128435 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Yeah

SZ got utterly thrashed with dino osteocytes and so he has decided on 'ad homimen' route and to try and discredit the Bible instead of defending the indefensible, ie evolution....

----------

Join the queue of the roadkill carnage of failures of people trying to discredit God's word, SZ
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128436 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
How about Pompei

Anyone living there?

Is ancient Pompeii rebuilt?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#128437 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you lost it. Big time.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#128438 Apr 27, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I should thank you for at least trying to address the point , its more than Russell ever attempted, but my issue (in this case) isn't about peer review, it's a lot more fundemental than that.
Creation.com basically states in its 'about us' section that any evidence that contridicts scripture can be dismissed out of hand, without evaluation.
This is acceptable from a faith point of view (though can understand many would disagree even on this point), but from a scientific perspective?
In any other disipline,if an orgainisation that states, it will dismiss without evaluation any arguments against it would suggest a weakness of their position rather than a strength.
And in the pursuit of 'scientific truth' it is even more ridiculous , the whole point of the scientific method is that is ALLOWS for new evidence to modify (or even overturn) a theory.
And your argument that 'well at least they are honest and up front about it' doesn't help your cause one bit, its like basically saying 'yeah, I admit that we project a scientific persona in our writings, but don't follow the fundemental tenents of what science demands - BUT at least we are honest about it'
You are avoiding the fact that secular science does the exact same thing!
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128439 Apr 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How? Simple, chemical processes are either stable or unstable, stable ones continue while unstable ones break down to greater processes. The genetic structure today is the most stable of those that occurred, and thus, that's what we have. However, again, it's not a code, closest anthropomorphic standard we have is recipe.
DNA is incredibly unstable molecule

It is tightly coiled and entwined with histones as a result

DNA codes for proteins

It also codes for the molecular machines that transcribe and ultimately translate it's product into these proteins

It can't be transcribed or translated without these molecular machines that are coded for on itself

How did genetic drift and random mutation result in a quaternary triplet code with two epigenetic codes eg histone and splicing codes?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128440 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you lost it. Big time.
See, you lied.

And Urb said he didn't have to lie.

He knew he was just pulling our legs.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128441 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are avoiding the fact that secular science does the exact same thing!
It might seem to be that way to a creatard, but in reality that is not the case at all.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128442 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
How about Pompei
Anyone living there?
Is ancient Pompeii rebuilt?
And Squishy admits defeat again.

Neither Pompei nor Pompeii have anything to do with the fact that Tyre was rebuilt.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128443 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah
SZ got utterly thrashed with dino osteocytes and so he has decided on 'ad homimen' route and to try and discredit the Bible instead of defending the indefensible, ie evolution....
----------
Join the queue of the roadkill carnage of failures of people trying to discredit God's word, SZ
No, you misinterpreted that subject.

Bring it up again if you want to get beat again.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#128444 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
My comment is based on a long dubious track record of dodging, deceit, deception, and ad hominem.

Yes. Thank you for admitting it.

I hope you will do better int he future.

In all honesty, however, I don't believe you will ever get any better.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#128445 Apr 27, 2013
It is clear the evotards do not understand genetics nor microbiology nor biochemistry. They think the cell is just a blob of random goo in keeping with Darwinism. At least normal secular scientists are realistic!

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#128446 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
See, you lied.
And Urb said he didn't have to lie.
He knew he was just pulling our legs.
I didn't lie. I have no reason to lie. I don't want to lie. I didn't lie.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128448 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is he an idiot?
Are you back on Rosa Park's bus
I told you why he was an idiot.

Poor Squishy's inability to read strikes again.

“God of War”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128449 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I am ridiculously naive when it comes to gods
You see I love and adore the God of gods
Yahweh
Lord of lords, King of kings, Creator God, Maker of Heaven and Earth, Giver and taker of Life
Nothing comes close
Our salvation if from Him
Nimrod is dead
Jesus lives
I think you ate one too many goannas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 48 min thetruth 16,843
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 50 min Ooogah Boogah 149,748
Teach the controversy: Education bills contain ... 1 hr paul porter 1
Creationism isn't a science and doesn't belong ... 1 hr Chimney1 708
Birds Evolved From Dinosaurs Slowly—Then Took Off 2 hr MikeF 19
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 6 hr Chimney1 1,394
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Chimney1 141,002
More from around the web